PDA

View Full Version : Judge rules for the Defense

G. Host
12-29-2004, 06:18 AM
Over the Bills' last six games -- all of them victories -- Buffalo has forced opponents into 26 turnovers, including seven against Miami. That's not only 10 more than it had its previous nine starts; it's eight more than it had all of last season.

When you ask why the Buffalo Bills are a playoff possibility after losing their first four games, you can start there. more (CBS) (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8044101)

Last year you heard grumbling by Gray that his defense was "limited" in what plays he could call and speculation was that either GW or LeBeau was telling him NOT to make the risky calls. The maturation of Kelsey and change of Winfield (who was a great tackler but had poor hands in Buffalo, maybe it was the cold?) for McGee was some of it but I think it is mostly the schemes and players belief in it.

The Bills lead the AFC in takeaways (they're tied with Indianapolis) and are second in the league. They're the conference's top-ranked defense and are third overall. They're third against the pass, fifth against the run, second in sacks per pass, second in interceptions, fourth in first downs. ... Look at this week's defensive numbers, and you find Buffalo at or near the top of nearly every category.

Indy leads the league (tied with us) with takeaways? That is a sign that Dungy's coaching is paying off.

ryjam282
12-29-2004, 06:32 AM
I always thought Dungy was a great coach. It was truly his team that won in Tampa. Gruden gets the credit for nothing, look at them now. They are terrible and the Colts are awesome, any coincidence? I don't think so.

The King
12-29-2004, 06:49 AM
I read that this morning too great article. BTW we are leading the NFL.com poll on the main page.

Cntrygal
12-29-2004, 09:01 AM
:eek:

Now, only one of our starting defensive linemen (Aaron Schobel) doesn't have an interception," said Gray.

This statement is fantastic!!

What Jerry Gray and his players are doing is special. My only question is: When do we start to acknowledge it?

"To me, if we get to the playoffs the national media will see what we're doing," said Gray. "We're second in turnovers and number three in sacks, yet we don't have a guy with 10 sacks. When you start doing your research you see there's more to the Buffalo Bills than offense; you see there's a real team effort going on here."

G. Host
12-29-2004, 09:04 AM
Soon they will be saying only one starting lineman will not have returned an interception for a TD (Both Pat and Sam have - who is next Kelsey or Schobel?).