PDA

View Full Version : Is the NFL Fixed?????

Patrick76777
12-29-2004, 03:33 PM
Listen, I’m not one of those old curmudgeons who believe every conspiracy theory out there. And I don’t think that there is some guy in a dark coat that exerts his control over everything. But part of me believes that the NFL is indeed fixed.

Now don’t jump all over me here. Please let me explain. I’ll do my best.

I emphatically do not think the league controls all aspects of the game or that they determine the results before the game even starts.

I also do not whatsoever believe that gambling plays a role in how the NFL fixes games. That’s not to say that players at some point may or may not have done something along those lines. I just DO NOT believe that the NFL would ever get involved in something like that. The hardcore gamblers who just lost their rent checks will probably disagree with this one.

I guess I can’t even go so far as to actually use the word “Fix” to accurately describe my theory. Because like I stated above, I do not believe the league goes so far as to pre-determine the outcome of games. My theory is that the NFL may at times tilt the scales one-way in order to favor their desired outcome

Let me get to my point. The NFL is a league that loves stories. Thrives on stories. Every year there’s some big story that gets us all excited about the games. So is it possible that when the NFL sees a story on the horizon that they would do anything in their power to perpetuate said story? It could be done fairly easily. Simply by instructing the refs to flag the other team a few more times. Give any and all close calls to the team (Bledsoes almost fumble in both the Miami and San Fran games). Maybe be a little more lenient on holding and Pass interference. Nothing blatantly obvious mind you. Just small things that may keep drives alive or even kill drives for the other team. Like a holding penalty that negates a big run.

It just seems to me that the Bills can’t make a mistake anymore. Early in the season when every flag was against us and every call was in favor of the other team it seemed like this team would never get it right. Now all of a sudden, we can do no wrong. Same with the Panthers in the NFC!

What about earlier in the season when New England had the chance to set the NFL records for wins at home against Miami. They only needed to get past Buffalo to do so. The Bills played a great game that day and gave New England all they could handle. But it seemed like each time the Bills got something going something would blow up in their face. An example in that game was Rashad Baker’s offsides penalty on a 4th quarter New England field goal attempt. Had Baker not jumped offsides, the Patriots would have taken a 20-17 lead on the play and on 4th down with 3 minutes left, the Bills would have tried a 34 yard chip shot field goal to tie the game up. Instead, Baker goes offsides, the drive continues, the Patriots get the TD and go up by 7 and on 4th and 3 at New England’s 17 were forced to go for it and Bledsoe tries a QB Bootleg and fumbles the ball which is returned 83 yards for the touchdown.

Convenient. I read later that Baker claims he lined up where he always lines up. He didn’t believe he was offsides.

And it wasn’t difficult for the ref to pull off. The play can’t be challenged. It seems harmless enough. But it keeps the drive alive and gives New England another chance.

So, is it possible that the NFL saw these two teams string a couple of wins together and now since both are such big stories is helping both teams along?

Would the NFL rather have Denver and NY limp into the playoffs and leave the team who has the attention of the nation at home? A few well-timed penalties on Denver and NY next Sunday could really help the chances surging Bills and create a huge playoff story. The NFL could easily get it done and I think they will!

NOTE: I don’t know if I even necessarily believe this. But is seems like it could be pulled off easily enough. And the only ones that would need to know would be the Refs and the Top level NFL execs. So who knows.

Earthquake Enyart
12-29-2004, 03:37 PM
It's obvious that the league favors the Patriots and Packers. They never get the "death blow" penalty call.

daquixxers
12-29-2004, 03:41 PM
Is it true that refs throw there calls toward a certain team in favor - of course. That has been known for ages.

Pride
12-29-2004, 03:44 PM
You arent crazy... but I dont think it is the NFL.. i think it is solely on the refs.

I believe that certain players, in all sports, have the ability to bend the rules without getting nabbed for it.

Refs cant see everything. If they see something like a fumble, INT, ball hitting ground, etc... I am sure they lean to one team rather than the other quite often.

Jordan travelled constantly in the NBA, no calls for example.
The Patriots probably got the benefit of the doubt on alot of questionable calls because they were on a streak.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
12-29-2004, 03:46 PM
Yep....I believe it. I believe in the conspiracy....and involving only refs and POSSIBLY coaches.....players have big mouths.

There are FAR too many coincidences....the law of averages just would not allow it.

I hope it never comes out officially....it will ruin football.....but I have a hunch that those refs who cannot be bought could be silenced quite easily. We all know how much money is involved.....

I WILL ALSO PREDICT THAT THE ZONERS WHO SAY "No way is it fixed...can't be..." also did not believe in the JFK conspiracy or any other conspiracy because they live in their own little fairy tale where everything is fair and just and beautiful......PLEASE.

BAM
12-29-2004, 03:49 PM
We will never know. I love the game though!

Patrick76777
12-29-2004, 03:55 PM
It's obvious that the league favors the Patriots and Packers. They never get the "death blow" penalty call.

it's so true! I like the term because that's exactly what it is. The Death Blow!

THATHURMANATOR
12-29-2004, 03:57 PM
Yep....I believe it. I believe in the conspiracy....and involving only refs and POSSIBLY coaches.....players have big mouths.

There are FAR too many coincidences....the law of averages just would not allow it.

I hope it never comes out officially....it will ruin football.....but I have a hunch that those refs who cannot be bought could be silenced quite easily. We all know how much money is involved.....

I WILL ALSO PREDICT THAT THE ZONERS WHO SAY "No way is it fixed...can't be..." also did not believe in the JFK conspiracy or any other conspiracy because they live in their own little fairy tale where everything is fair and just and beautiful......PLEASE.

Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today? :shocked:

RedEyE
12-29-2004, 03:57 PM
I really don't believe it. Giving that type of power to a small group of officials seems rather illogical. If they're contracts were in jeopardy (much like they were a few short years ago) they would have the ability to take down the NFL in one small media conference... or at the very least, make any demand they wish.

OpIv37
12-29-2004, 03:58 PM
A true fix in a game like football is just too difficult. But i wouldn't be surpised if the refs were encouraged to tip the scales towards whatever the NFL thinks will make a great story line.

On the other hand, doing this would be a HUGE gamble on the part of the NFL. If it ever came out, it would ruin the league, plus there are too many things out of their control to do this effectively (ie they can give NE a second chance at a FG, but there's always the chance they miss that one too).

Earthquake Enyart
12-29-2004, 04:00 PM
it's so true! I like the term because that's exactly what it is. The Death Blow!
If I were on Sportscenter, "The Death Blow" would be my catch phrase

THATHURMANATOR
12-29-2004, 04:02 PM

Da da da..... Da da da..... :limp:

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
12-29-2004, 04:05 PM
Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today? :shocked:

Yeah...maybe....what's it to you......you're in on it too aren't you....you think you are sooooo smart....

:jk:

Nah....I just really think there might be something to the refs gettin paid to tip the scales.....sorry if I made it sound like everyone else is ******ed for not buying in... :crazy:

I guess I'll go home and have a few ...maybe that will calm me down....I am just so damn amped up for this Sunday....it's crazy...can't sleep, can't sit still....LET'S GET IT ON!!!!!!!

Patrick76777
12-29-2004, 04:05 PM
A true fix in a game like football is just too difficult. But i wouldn't be surpised if the refs were encouraged to tip the scales towards whatever the NFL thinks will make a great story line.

On the other hand, doing this would be a HUGE gamble on the part of the NFL. If it ever came out, it would ruin the league, plus there are too many things out of their control to do this effectively (ie they can give NE a second chance at a FG, but there's always the chance they miss that one too).

Ah, but it was 4th and 2 so that same flag gave the pats a 1st down. Not a second chance at a field goal, but a second chance at the whole drive.

Patrick76777
12-29-2004, 04:06 PM

I could see it.

And McGahee breaks one for 79 yards, but wait, IT'S THE DEATH BLOW!

OpIv37
12-29-2004, 04:08 PM
Ah, but it was 4th and 2 so that same flag gave the pats a 1st down. Not a second chance at a field goal, but a second chance at the whole drive.

Ok, so it gives them a 1st down, but there's still a chance that they turn the ball over, or get stuffed at the goal line and have to go for 3 anyway.

Patrick76777
12-29-2004, 04:22 PM
Ok, so it gives them a 1st down, but there's still a chance that they turn the ball over, or get stuffed at the goal line and have to go for 3 anyway.

Yes, and like I said above. I'm only claiming that the refs "Tip the scales" They do small things like keeping drives alive

Simply by instructing the refs to flag the other team a few more times. Give any and all close calls to the team Maybe be a little more lenient on holding and Pass interference. Nothing blatantly obvious mind you. Just small things that may keep drives alive or even kill drives for the other team. Like a holding penalty that negates a big run.

Jeff1220
12-29-2004, 04:24 PM
We will never know. I love the game though!
-the most level-headed response possible to this thread. :clap:

Patrick76777
12-29-2004, 04:26 PM
-the most level-headed response possible to this thread. :clap:

Well he's not Zoner of the year for nothing!

Earthquake Enyart
12-29-2004, 04:30 PM
I could see it.

And McGahee breaks one for 79 yards, but wait, IT'S THE DEATH BLOW!
"2 on, 2 out in the ninth........ Konerko....... The Death blow......."

YardRat
12-29-2004, 05:41 PM
Putting the officials on the "inside" like that, working with NFL execs to "possibly" determine the output of the game, would give the official's union one hell of a bargaining chip when the contract is up and they're at the negotiating table, don't you think?

I could understand individual, possibly biased, actions being taken by refs during the course of a game but it would be the result of a single person acting out a specific bias, not part of some great, NFL exec/official conspiracy.

Turf
12-29-2004, 06:08 PM
It's a well known fact that organized crime has paid and attempted to pay players to throw a game. Ever hear of Ronnie Harmon? He was practically proved to have thrown his college bowl game, and was unceremoniously cut after he dropped (short armed) Kelly's TD winning pass against the Browns in the playoff game.

DaBills
12-30-2004, 12:27 AM
Raiders. Patsies. Snow. Playoffs. Tuck. Fumble.

Refs.

;-p

The refs have not kept up with the style of play and speed of the game today. We might as well put them all in the booth upstairs and have them TIVO every play for penalties.

BiLLSRuLE
12-30-2004, 01:44 AM
I KINDOFF BELIEVE IT.

Remember last year...MNF...Colts vs. Bucs...Indy comes back from 35-14 deficit and send it into overtime. Colts attempt a FG and miss...BUT THERES A FLAG!! LEAPING!!! Colts get a first down and make the FG.

Hey, but you never know :dance:

mybills
12-30-2004, 06:17 AM
First game Bills 31 Pats 0
Last game Pats 31 Bills 0

Very weird. Even the Pats fans were saying they thought it was fixed.