X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Drew's Defining Moment.

Mularkey has had a reputation of resurrecting qb's and making them play like probowlers. Drew hasn't really played like a probowler but unlike Kordell and Maddox, Drew is playing w/ Mularkey for the first time in his career. Drew came from being one of the worst qb's a year ago to a decent qb this year. Maybe next year, he'll be a probowler under MM in his second year.

People like myself have had doubts that Drew still had what it takes to take the bills all the way because to get to the sb we would have to face strong teams and Drew does not have a good record against better teams.

Pitts is the first test for Drew. This is a huge game. Although our season has been on the line since the Patriots game, we haven't faced a great team like Pitts. WHEN we beat Pitts, every team we face will be good teams and we shall know where we stand w/ Drew.

To say that Drew is still grasping MM system is no longer an excuse. Having an imobile qb limits MM from creating more creative plays. No one can complain as long as we're winning.

We have a D and ST that's the best the Bills have had since I can remember and both are sb quality units. Our running game is a sb unit as well. Every move made by TD was made to help Drew. From the hiring of Mularkey, Wyche and McNally was all set for Drew to succeeed. It's all up to him.

IMO Drew's test starts this weekend. We shall see if he is capable of taking this team to a sb. I've always stated Drew has what it takes to take the bills to the playoffs, but the goal is a sb win.

I don't expect to go to the sb but I expect Drew to play well in this run.
    Last edited by justasportsfan; 12-30-2004, 10:56 AM.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • EDS
    • Jan 2003

I think every move TD has made was with the intention of helping the team succeed. To the extent Drew or any other Bill benefits from those moves, its gravy.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by EDS
      I think every move TD has made was with the intention of helping the team succeed. To the extent Drew or any other Bill benefits from those moves, its gravy.
      I agree to some extent but hiring a coach w/ no experience but a reputation of making qb's better was an obvious move to improve Drew and was a huge risk TD was willing to take.

Giving up so much for JP means TD had his doubts about Drew but wanted to give it one last shot.

I really believe the rumor about Fassel was going to bench Drew killed his interview.
      sacrifice1

Comment

• Dozerdog
        In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
        I agree to some extent but hiring a coach w/ no experience but a reputation of making qb's better was an obvious move to improve Drew and was a huge risk TD was willing to take.

Giving up so much for JP means TD had his doubts about Drew but wanted to give it one last shot.

I really believe the rumor about Fassel was going to bench Drew killed his interview.
        I disagree.

He hired the best candidate in his mind. What existing coaches out there were better choices? I wanted Coughlin but I am very greatful TD passed on him. Fassel? HA! Denny Green showed us how dumb he was by benching McCown. He would be in the playoffs if he didn't.

I doubt he hired Mularkey for the sole purpose of resurecting a single player. If that player gets hurt, retires, or is cut you are stuck with a coach that doesn't fit.

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
          I disagree.

He hired the best candidate in his mind. What existing coaches out there were better choices? I wanted Coughlin but I am very greatful TD passed on him. Fassel? HA! Denny Green showed us how dumb he was by benching McCown. He would be in the playoffs if he didn't.

I doubt he hired Mularkey for the sole purpose of resurecting a single player. If that player gets hurt, retires, or is cut you are stuck with a coach that doesn't fit.
          What qualifications did MM have that Coughlin didn't have aside from the fact that TD could bump heads w/ the Nazzi? Pitts' offense wasn't all that last year either that anyone should just give MM the HCing job. It was his ability to ressurect a qb's career IMO. Clemens too never had any OC experience and TD already knew MM would make him the OC.

Reports back then was that Fassel was the leading candidate and all of a sudden his final interview went south? Could be the Drew benching rumor.
          Last edited by justasportsfan; 12-30-2004, 12:23 PM.
          sacrifice1

Comment

• finsrclowns
            • Apr 2004

Or Mularkey is someone TD knew well, had an excellent resume as an OC, gave a vision for the future of a tough minded defense and sound running game approach that TD was comfortable with from his time at Pitt, and gave a solid interview in which he described the potential makeup of what was clearly going to be an impressive staff.

Fassel on the other hand had had staff problems at NY, a reputation as being a "soft" coach and the black mark of having a team basically quit on him that season. The other serious candidate Charlie Weiss would have been unavailable until the playoffs ended for NE, which meant he would have had the leftovers to choose from for a staff. TD had already gone down that road once with GW's first disastrous staff.

TD knew he had to get the coaching choice right the second time or his future in Buffalo would be over. I'm sure Mularkey was chosen for all the right reasons. So far his hiring looks like a stroke of genius.
            finsrclowns

Comment

• finsrclowns
              • Apr 2004

What qualifications did MM have that Coughlin didn't have aside from the fact that TD could bump heads w/ the Nazzi? Pitts' offense wasn't all that last year either that anyone should just give MM the HCing job. It was his ability to ressurect a qb's career IMO. Clemens too never had any OC experience and TD already knew MM would make him the OC.

Reports back then was that Fassel was the leading candidate and all of a sudden his final interview went south? Could be the Drew benching rumor.
              I don't think Coughlin was ever seriously considered here and I think the job he wanted was the job he got. Coughlin has a style that wears thin after a while and you can't blame TD if he didn't want to sign on for that. Hiring any coordinator is a risk, sometimes it works well, like John Fox and Marvin Lewis, sometimes you get a GW. The main advantage Mularkey had was TD knew him well, knew what his style was going to be, knew he was bright and hard working and knew what he might bring for a staff. There are no grassy knolls here. :bikerbabe
              finsrclowns

Comment

• Philagape
                WIN NOW
                • Jul 2002

In order to have a SB QB and a SB running game, we need a SB OL first. Do we have that? That's what remains to be seen.
                "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                  Maybe?
                  • Oct 2003

IMO Drew's test starts this weekend.
                  Sort of....if Pitt had something to play for and was playing their starters the whole game then yes I'd agree. I think his true test will start if/when we play the first playoff game.

Comment

• finsrclowns
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
                    I think his true test will start if/when we play the first playoff game.

...or the second playoff game in the event we win the first one.
                    finsrclowns

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                      Maybe?
                      • Oct 2003

Originally posted by finsrclowns
                      ...or the second playoff game in the event we win the first one.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Philagape
                        In order to have a SB QB and a SB running game, we need a SB OL first. Do we have that? That's what remains to be seen.
                        i agree. Only time will tell but so far this O has been scoring and the OL is a huge factor.
                        sacrifice1

Comment

• Tatonka
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by finsrclowns
                          Or Mularkey is someone TD knew well,
                          just to clear this up.. mularkey was not very close to TD at all.. he stated so himself. he was a TE coach at the time when TD was there. i remember specifically reading that quote somewhere when he was hired because i was thinking this is another one of TDs pitt connection things.. but they were not close at all and rarely ever spoke, being that MM was one of the lowest rungs as far as coaches go.
                          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• finsrclowns
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Tatonka
                            just to clear this up.. mularkey was not very close to TD at all.. he stated so himself. he was a TE coach at the time when TD was there. i remember specifically reading that quote somewhere when he was hired because i was thinking this is another one of TDs pitt connection things.. but they were not close at all and rarely ever spoke, being that MM was one of the lowest rungs as far as coaches go.
                            TD probably doesn't know Bills TE coach Mike Miller personally either but I'll bet he can tell you a lot about his job performance and future potential. You don't have to have nachos together to know what coaches on your staff are all about.
                            finsrclowns

Comment

• Tatonka
                              • Jul 2002

Mularkey has had a reputation of resurrecting qb's and making them play like probowlers. Drew hasn't really played like a probowler but unlike Kordell and Maddox, Drew is playing w/ Mularkey for the first time in his career. Drew came from being one of the worst qb's a year ago to a decent qb this year. Maybe next year, he'll be a probowler under MM in his second year.

People like myself have had doubts that Drew still had what it takes to take the bills all the way because to get to the sb we would have to face strong teams and Drew does not have a good record against better teams.

Pitts is the first test for Drew. This is a huge game. Although our season has been on the line since the Patriots game, we haven't faced a great team like Pitts. WHEN we beat Pitts, every team we face will be good teams and we shall know where we stand w/ Drew.

To say that Drew is still grasping MM system is no longer an excuse. Having an imobile qb limits MM from creating more creative plays. No one can complain as long as we're winning.

We have a D and ST that's the best the Bills have had since I can remember and both are sb quality units. Our running game is a sb unit as well. Every move made by TD was made to help Drew. From the hiring of Mularkey, Wyche and McNally was all set for Drew to succeeed. It's all up to him.

IMO Drew's test starts this weekend. We shall see if he is capable of taking this team to a sb. I've always stated Drew has what it takes to take the bills to the playoffs, but the goal is a sb win.

I don't expect to go to the sb but I expect Drew to play well in this run.

one of the best posts i have read here in a long long time.

great work.
                              "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

Working...
                              X