I have a question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Valerie
    Saving the World One Signature at a Time!
    • Jul 2002

I have a question....

What happened to the people who bought season tickets for the hockey games? Did they get a refund?

There's not a stone in my heart I've left unturned
    Not a piece of my soul that I ain't searched
    The only answer I found for all this hurt
    Is there ain't not answer here on earth

• TheGhostofJimKelly
    • May 2003

I know someone who has season tickets and they told me that they won't receive their refund until the season is officially cancelled. The also have the option to put it towards tickets next year, or the year after, or if they ever play again.

Comment

• BillsFever21
      • Aug 2004

Hockey is the worst major sport out there. Even NASCAR has moved ahead of them in ratings and revenue. The players need to realize this and compromise with their paychecks.

At the moment they are the 5th ranked sport behind the NFL, MLB, NBA and NASCAR. The rate it's going a POS product like soccer could even move ahead of them in the future.

Why would a major network wanna pay millions of dollars for the rights to televise their games if their ratings and sponsorship are inferior? It will eventually happen. The average hockey games get very little ratings in the regular season. Not enough to offbalance the money they pay to televise the product.

Hockey doesn't come close to pulling in the revenue that other sports do but they are getting paid top dollars right now. The team revenue can't support the team salaries in most of the cities in the NHL.

The only places that really give a crap about hockey is up North and in Canada. Most people born and raised their entire life down South rarely think twice about it. The only ice they've ever seen is in their whiskey or soda glasses.

I don't blame the owners for locking the players out. Except for a select few owners in sports like Mark Cuban where breaking even with the payroll plays second fiddle to owning a team for the love of the game.

Mark Cuban is an awesome owner. He's an average guy and diehard fan turned owner. Hell he sometimes sits in the cheap seats with the fans. I've never seen any other owner of a team do that. Money is no issue to him. Could you vision being at RWS and find yourself sitting next to Ralph Wilson or Tom Donahoe? He's a very fan friendly owner and for that reason the Mavs will have a great fan base for years to come.

Back to the hockey situation. The NHL needs to get rid of crappy franchises with no hope of a long consistent fan base and get salaries down to a respectable level. Most of these places are in states like Florida, North Carolina, ect..

More talent and a fair chance to compete for everyone would improve the sport. Right now the league isn't in a good situation for most of the teams.

The hockey players need to realize they aren't playing the most popular and revenue making sport and have their salaries support that.

They would still be making millions and more per year then most of us will see in a lifetime.

The current greedy players are only worrying about themselves and not the long term future of the league and the players that will follow them when their time is done. The status of the league won't survive forever at this rate and could end professional hockey being considered a major sport altogether.

Unless you love the game why would any owner wanna pay millions of dollars for a franchise that won't even break even let alone make money? Doesn't sound like a good business decision to invest in to me.

Would you buy a pizza shop for tons of money with prior knowledge or knowing the chances of even breaking even are slim? I know I wouldn't.

Why the hell would any invester want to own a business that just loses them millions every year?

Many people like me could care less if they ever saw another NHL game in our lifetime. If they keep dinking around over greed and ego with this lockout they will lose some of the few fans they already have. Hell they need everyone they can get let alone losing them.
      Last edited by BillsFever21; 12-30-2004, 04:35 PM.

Comment

• realmendontwearteal
        Blue and Gold perhaps....
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Valerie
        What happened to the people who bought season tickets for the hockey games? Did they get a refund?

in atlanta, ownership had to refund a good amount of money for season ticket holders but i dont remember how much
        Curt Schilling needs to STFU

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
          • May 2003

We need a parrot icon, to use when someone repeats what eveyone else has been saying for months.

Comment

• Myers57
            Registered User and McLovin stunt double
            • Sep 2003

The only individual tickets that were sold before the lockout was announced were the preseason games, they were refunded...

Billsfever is right, the league is not high in rankings. NASCAR however is above all the other sports, it is number one in rankings all together, look it up.

With a salary cap imposed it means the end to the dynasties of hockey. Teams like the Red Wings or Rangers will end up giving a lot of their players the boot while low salary paying teams such as the sabres will be able to acquire these kind of players for much cheaper which will make the league much more competitive.

The competitiveness will make the sport all in all much more interesting and will begin bringing back fans even in the cities such as Atlanta, Miami, and Phoenix to watch their teams. The Tampa Bay Lightning won the stanley cup, the city had hockey mania with a succesful team that it barely recognized before, this will occur on a much larger scale with a refined CBA.

I respect your opinion but I disagree. People do care about hockey in places besides canada. Before the lockout the amount of active posters in the Sabreszone was probably double what it is now, people are bored without hockey.

The lack of hockey is killing the economy of Buffalo as well, thank god for the incoming Bass Pro. That is what my senior thesis was about and I began to realize how much the Sabres mean to Buffalo.

I'm sorry if you don't like hockey, maybe a better more competitive league will help change your opinion and maybe those of you who are active in the Billszone board will begin to talk hockey over here.

Comment

• Valerie
              Saving the World One Signature at a Time!
              • Jul 2002

Thanks for the answers, guys! :)

I don't think it's right that people paid for either season tickets or individual tickets for games and they just have to eat it. The season is half over and I think that everyone deserves a refund. To wait until it's officially cancelled is stupid because they've already lost half their money.

There's not a stone in my heart I've left unturned
              Not a piece of my soul that I ain't searched
              The only answer I found for all this hurt
              Is there ain't not answer here on earth

Comment

• Typ0
                honey pie
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Valerie
                Thanks for the answers, guys! :)

I don't think it's right that people paid for either season tickets or individual tickets for games and they just have to eat it. The season is half over and I think that everyone deserves a refund. To wait until it's officially cancelled is stupid because they've already lost half their money.
                I'm sure they have to wait and see how many games are cancelled so they can give the proper refunds all at once. If they just gave everyone a full refund and the season wasn't cancelled there would be additional transactions and teams would have to figure out how they were going to sell the season tickets once the season started again if it did...it's just all a logistical and administrative nightmare.

Comment

• lordofgun
                  in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
                  We need a parrot icon, to use when someone repeats what eveyone else has been saying for months.
                  That's what this one is for:

There's a honda everywhere you look.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• the REAL Rudeman
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by lordofgun
                    That's what this one is for:

There's a honda everywhere you look.
                    I thought it was for when an Asian posted something you disagreed with, you could come back with something like, "WTF do you know, you ******ed ?"
                    Last edited by the REAL Rudeman; 01-06-2005, 09:46 PM.
                    I solve problems with violence.

Comment

• Myers57
                      Registered User and McLovin stunt double
                      • Sep 2003

Hey, Hondas are high quality vehicles!

Comment

Working...
                      X