PDA

View Full Version : Best offense you've ever seen

Philagape
12-30-2004, 07:56 PM
Please suggest any I missed; I didn't list any old-time teams I didn't see.

Mr. Cynical
12-30-2004, 08:14 PM
It was a close one between Manning's Colts and Warner's Rams but since the Rams won it all, I have to give them the nod. With Bruce, Holt and Faulk they were truly amazing that year.

As for Montana's 9ers, I give him alot of the credit himself. Granted he had Rice, Clark and Taylor but Craig was nowhere near Faulk or James as a threat.

Of course, my heart will always say the K-gun with TT, Reed, Lofton and Kelly is #1. :D

juice
12-30-2004, 08:17 PM
Vikings offense with Randall Cunningham, R. Smith and Randy Moss.. that offense put up some incredible Numbers.

Mr. Miyagi
12-30-2004, 08:21 PM
Vikings offense with Randall Cunningham, R. Smith and Randy Moss.. that offense put up some incredible Numbers.
Don't forget Cris Carter. :up:

Mr. Miyagi
12-30-2004, 08:23 PM
I voted for the Colts because they have more weapons than anyone else. 3 WRs over 1,000 yards, that's unheard of. That's not counting the 2 TEs and then there's James.

You just can't stop them all. :eek:

rtconner
12-30-2004, 08:27 PM
You asked about the best I've SEEN. Well I'm too young to have seen all but the top two.

Dozerdog
12-30-2004, 09:04 PM
Gibb's Redskins circa 1984- averaged over 30 points per game

San Diego Chargers circa 1980

Meathead
12-30-2004, 09:06 PM
Man great question. Tough call, they were all awesome.

San Fran and St. Louis led the league in points and yardage three years in a row at their peak, the rest never did. But schedule and defense can make a huge difference so you could make a case for any of them.

The 49ers had a fourth straight season where they were first in points and second in yards. They also had a very tough defense so the offense wasn’t getting much garbage time padding. If I had to choose I’d go with them.

dannyek71
12-30-2004, 09:52 PM
Your forgetting the Bills offense of 2003 under KG:shocked:

Philagape
12-30-2004, 10:02 PM
Gibb's Redskins circa 1984- averaged over 30 points per game

San Diego Chargers circa 1980

I thought of the Chargers, but I figured that would open the box to a bunch of others.

TigerJ
12-30-2004, 10:06 PM
Who remembers the famous "no punt" game between the Bills and 49ers? It was played in Buffalo. Jim Kelly QBed the Bills. I thought it was Montana for the 49ers, but it could have been Steve Young. It wasn't that the defenses were terrible. It was just that the offences were so far advanced the defenses couldn't keep up. Buffalo won, but I can't remember the final score or how it got there. Now that was offence!

dannyek71
12-30-2004, 10:12 PM
Who remembers the famous "no punt" game between the Bills and 49ers? It was played in Buffalo. Jim Kelly QBed the Bills. I thought it was Montana for the 49ers, but it could have been Steve Young. It wasn't that the defenses were terrible. It was just that the offences were so far advanced the defenses couldn't keep up. Buffalo won, but I can't remember the final score or how it got there. Now that was offence!
It was Steve Young...I remember that game, it was amazing....

At the time I was a Bills and 49ers fan, but was a bit of a bigger 49ers fan, so the game was extra special for me....:dance:

Btw...now I hate the 49ers and am Bills all the way

The_Philster
12-30-2004, 10:12 PM
actually TigerJ, it was played in San Francisco and it was Steve Young
http://espn.go.com/classic/s/moment010913-no-punt-game.html
http://www.buffalobills.com/display_cont.jsp?cont_id=82234
http://www.sf49ers.com/newsroom/DisplayNews.asp?newsid=2200

TigerJ
12-30-2004, 10:15 PM
Thanks Phil. It was a great game in any case. The Bills won at least, didn't they?

The_Philster
12-30-2004, 10:16 PM
34-31 :up:

TigerJ
12-30-2004, 10:18 PM
It doesn't surprise me that Dan Marino is getting no votes. It's not just because this is a Bills board. The Marino led Dolphins were always crippled by the lack of a running game. They would start out the season intending to have a more balanced offence, but before you knew it everything centered on Marino's arm. I think that is the reason why he never took them to a Super Bowl.

The Predator
12-30-2004, 10:45 PM
THE BUFFALO BILLS (NO-HUDDLE/K-GUN) OFFENSE!!!

The Predator
12-30-2004, 10:56 PM
I Remember That Game.

"Candlestick Park"

Kelly Hit Lofton For A First Down In The Infield Dirt To Seal The Deal.

Kelly And Young Both Passed For 400 Yards.

It Was A Classic Shootout Between Two All-Time Greats.

BSXIII
12-30-2004, 11:02 PM
The 2005 Buffalo Bills :homer: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout:

DaBills
12-30-2004, 11:10 PM
I have to give the nod to the K-gun. Yes, Manning is putting up gaudy numbers this year alone, but I think Kelly spread it around more on that offense and did it for enough years to help the team make four SB appearances. From what I've seen of Colts games this year, I don't see his TE's getting as many touches as the WRs or James does.

I would also give honorable mention to one guy that was very successful in a particular area of the offense that few others were: John Elway in almost any 2-minute scenario where the Broncos needed to score and/or win.

BSXIII
12-30-2004, 11:13 PM
IMO it should be between the K-gun and Elway's Broncos. They excelled in crappy conditions. Everyone else on the list played in Domes or ideal outdoor conditions.

cordog
12-30-2004, 11:41 PM
The Rams were just amazing for those 3 years. Ill always love the KGun but those rams tore up. In 99 they avg. 32 points a game. Warner had 42 TDs, and Faulk had 1000 rushing and receiving. I gotta give them the nod

Billz_fan
12-31-2004, 12:00 AM
I still go with Kelly and the Bills K-Gun.

Kelly, Lofton and Reed :up:

Captain gameboy
12-31-2004, 05:08 AM
I'd pick "other" and go with the team who's offense I feared the most.

The 1991 Washington Redskins. 485 points in regular season.
24/41/37 in three postseason games.
They absolutely killed the best Bills team (of the four) in the Super Bowl.

That was the best offense, and team, I have ever seen.
Absolutely bullet proof.

Jan Reimers
12-31-2004, 06:47 AM
The Cleveland Browns of Otto Graham, Marion Motley, Mac Speedie, Dante Lavelli and Ray Renfro were good, although Coach Brown was pretty conservative.

And the Colts with Johnny Unitas, Lenny Moore, Raymond Berry, John Mackey et. al. were darn good, too.

TheGhostofJimKelly
12-31-2004, 10:49 AM
I am too biased for a poll like this.

imbondz
12-31-2004, 11:05 AM
LOL. no one has picked Marino. and rightfully so.

Mr. Cynical
12-31-2004, 04:25 PM
LOL. no one has picked Marino. and rightfully so.
As a QB, I would take him over anyone playing today except Favre and Manning. He just never had a running game to put his offense in that "scary" category. However, with 2:00 to go in the game and Marino leading a comeback drive, he did make alot of defenses shake.

imbondz
12-31-2004, 04:28 PM
Warner/Faulk/Holt/Bruce was insane. It's amazing it really only lasted one solid year.

DaBills
12-31-2004, 07:37 PM
As a QB, I would take him over anyone playing today except Favre and Manning. He just never had a running game to put his offense in that "scary" category. However, with 2:00 to go in the game and Marino leading a comeback drive, he did make alot of defenses shake.

Although I loved Marino's 'fake' spike vs. the Jests for a TD because, well, it was against the Jests.

I'd put Marino in the class of great QB-WR combos like Kelly-Reed, Montanta-Rice, etc, since he had Duper and Clayton. But agreed, no RB that dominated. If they had Ricky Williams though, different story.

BAM
12-31-2004, 07:45 PM
The 2005 Buffalo Bills :homer: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout:

:snicker:

I have to go with the Rams "Greatest Show on Turf." That was a damn good offense.

Ingtar33
01-01-2005, 12:55 AM
Montana's 49ers

Nothing ever came close. I was not surprised in the least when they went 90yards on the Bengals in '88. Great offences are not made by numbers, as much as they are by scoring when they need to. The greatest show on turf was the greatest “numbers” offence I’ve ever seen, but they were crap in the 4th quarter and down (I don’t think Warner had a single 4th quarter comeback in that time). Basically the Rams were a 24 month spectacle.

Montana’s 49ers were something special which will never be seen again.

Ingtar33
01-01-2005, 12:58 AM
the Bills of the early 90's were a close second, for nothing more than the fact that they were the no.1-no.3 rushing offence for like 6 straight years... from 88-94.

Scoring that many points and running for as many yards as they did? That was special.

Mr. Cynical
01-01-2005, 01:40 PM
I don’t think Warner had a single 4th quarter comeback in that time.Well the reason is because they almost never had to comeback. They were usually way ahead going into the 4th quarter.

Don't get me wrong - Montana is/was a far better QB than Warner, and the 9ers did it over a longer period of time. If the question was "best consistent offense" that's another story. However, in that brief period of time....much like the '85 Bears D...they were unstoppable. Too many weapons and their confidence and rhythm was insane. It sorta felt like watching the Steelers in the late 70's where it seemed like teams laid down because they knew they couldn't beat them.

BillsOverDolphins
01-01-2005, 03:11 PM
1998 Minnesota Vikings. Absolutely insane offense that year(Moss's rookie year). They still have the record for most points scored in a season(556).
The loss to Atlanta in the NFC Championship is one of the biggest chokes of alltime.

CuseJetsFan83
01-01-2005, 11:31 PM
this is a REALLY hard question to answer...... so here is my wisecracked approach

the best 2 minute warning/hurry up is a 3 way tie between any team that elway was qb in the mid/late 80's.... and the 2 sb wins in the late 90's.......... favre *circa mid90's*..... and the famed k-gun 4 year in a row streak of the bills

best total package receiving offense.......... defintely the colts now 3 wr's with 10 td's and 1000 yds.... wow

best underachieving offense..... early 80's san diego superchargers

best rushing offense...... wow..... one that comes to mind is the mid 80's super bowl XX champion bears, c'mon now....... SWEETNESS!!

best offense to just come out of nowhere........... st louis..... defintely just hit like that......... ne could get the nod, if the refs werent in their pocket.... and if mo lewis didnt take out drew :shocked:

in my opinion i still think my favorite offense of all time is the k-gun....... basically because as much as the d played a part, the OFFENSE won their games..... it was usually the special teams or d that blew it...( ie sb xxv)
with san fran of the 80s, or pitt of 70's, or dallas of the 90's they had DEFENSE, with out that they would be screwed.

feel free to agree/disagree

pyrrhonist
01-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Warner/Faulk/Holt/Bruce was insane. It's amazing it really only lasted one solid year.

What, no love for Az-Zahir Hakim? How else could the guy earn a contract that paid him an insane amount of $$ in Detroit?? :peace: I think the SB run was the only year he didn't have a fumbling problem, too.

In all seriousness, I voted for the '99 Rams. I have seen the Marino-led Dolphins, the Montana-run 49ers, and the K-Gun Bills, and I think the show that Warner led with the Rams on their way to the SB was just insane. They had so many weapons, it wasn't even funny. It's a shame that Vermeil left, and while Martz has led that team, they've fallen apart.