PDA

View Full Version : I'm officially starting the "Get Drew Bledsoe the hell out of Buffalo" Bandwagon

Alluro
11-24-2002, 02:49 PM
"Hit the road jack, and dont ya come back no more, no more, no more, no more..."

He doesn't have what it takes win a superbowl without a pro bowl roster around him at every position. He looks too often to make the big play instead of just taking what the defense gives him. He is an immoble antique from the 70s trying to keep up with modern day athletes that can run circles around him. He is a decent qb, but he is nothing special....If we can get ANY team to give up a #1 pick for him then I say do it, we can find a qb in the draft. Tom Brady after all was a 6th rounder, and Favre was a 2nd rounder, aaron brooks was a 4th rounder...they are all better than drew.

Look at how poorly the offense is playing now that it has figured out drew! If we wanted to watch the team struggle to get 15 pts we should have left van pelt in there. Travis Brown might even be a solid starter but we won't know as long as the "great" drew is on the team. He is a lot more mobile than drew anyway.

4thAndLong
11-24-2002, 02:50 PM
:z:

It's playcalling.

Alluro
11-24-2002, 02:53 PM
Playcalling, Shmaycalling ! he isn't worth a #1 pick and he certainly isn't worth his 6 million a year price tag. We are playing like the patriots did the last two years before brady took over, except our defense sucks even worse than theirs did.

4thAndLong
11-24-2002, 02:57 PM
Why do you think we're doing so poorly? Is it Drew's fault they're figuring our O out? No

Its Gilbride's, HE makes the gameplan, not Bledsoe. HE makes the changes on offense, not Bledsoe. HE sucks, not Bledsoe.

TacklingDummy
11-24-2002, 03:03 PM
The Defense again gives up over 30+ points and you want to blame the offense?

There's so much pressure on this offense to score everytime they have the ball because they know the defense can't stop anything.

How many times does the offense have to go 70+ yards to score. Does anyone know what our shortest scoring drive has been?

venis2k1
11-24-2002, 03:04 PM
did drew even go deep today???? at least they ran the ball

DIHARD2
11-24-2002, 03:04 PM
you can't blame Bledsoe when your defense gives up 30 some points, every game. It seemed like Bledsoe is trying to hard to make things happen instead of play natural like he did the first couple games. Our defense cannot spend the majority of the time on the field, they aren't big enough.

The other teams have adjusted for Bledsoe's arm, and when balls are throwing right in the receiver's hands and dropped, you cannot blame the quarterback for that.

Bledsoe still has the ability he just has to realize that it takes 11 not two on the offense. That has been from what I can see his problem these last three games he's trying to play the game by himself.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

Dr Phil
11-24-2002, 03:06 PM
It's gonna be an empty bandwagon.

Who do you suggest? Jeff George?

Jeff Blake?

Vinny Testeverde should be around next season:rolleyes:

Alluro
11-24-2002, 03:06 PM
I don't care if we had Bill Walsh and Mike Martz calling the plays...Bledsoe doesn't read defenses quick enough or make the right decisions.

colin
11-24-2002, 03:07 PM
Bledsoe is CHEAP for an NFL QB, and he is still very good. He did not have a great game at all today, but his teammates sucked bad around him as well.

Dr Phil
11-24-2002, 03:07 PM
You're nuts...

Alluro
11-24-2002, 03:08 PM
Who do i suggest ? first, get a 1st rounder for him so we can get a stud D-Lineman or fill another pressing need on the team. Then either let Alex or Travis start, and draft a qb in the draft to develop. There are a lot of qb's coming out this year, we could get any number of solid prospects.

SoCalBillsFan
11-24-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Alluro
Who do i suggest ? first, get a 1st rounder for him so we can get a stud D-Lineman or fill another pressing need on the team.

uh, so you admit that there are other "pressing" needs on the team? Than obviously losing isnt all drew's fault now, is it...

:rolleyes:

Alluro
11-24-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan

uh, so you admit that there are other "pressing" needs on the team? Than obviously losing isnt all drew's fault now, is it...

:rolleyes:

Losing isn't all drew's fault, he can't control the defense...but scoring only 13 pts IS his fault.

4thAndLong
11-24-2002, 03:17 PM
"Look at how poorly the offense is playing now that it has figured out drew!" - Alluro

You said it yourself!

That's Gilbride's fault, not Bledsoe's.

Alluro
11-24-2002, 03:19 PM
"figured out drew" ...."figured out drew".....I said it myself, they have figured out drew. NOTHING gilbride can do will make up for bledsoe's weaknesses.

PA Season Ticket Holder
11-24-2002, 03:20 PM
Drew isn't a great QB but he's not a bad QB either. Him, our offense, and our team has came down to reality.

Drew and our offenses early explosion gave us a false sense of reality. A lot of people expect us to just turn it on again, but that's not gonna happen consistently like we did at the start of the year.

Alluro
11-24-2002, 03:20 PM
Does Gilbride throw INTs? Does Gilbride get sacked more often than qb short of david carr? Gilbride can only call the plays, and if drew doesn't like the call he can audible.

Novacane
11-24-2002, 03:22 PM
Bledsoe has been playing poorly lately but give me a break. He is the least of our worries

4thAndLong
11-24-2002, 03:24 PM
Figured out Drew is right!

Actually, figured out the offense...

But whose fault is that? Drew's? Does he make the adjustments of the offense? No.

Gilbride does. Gilbride has been a terrible OC wherever he's been.

Alluro
11-24-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6
Bledsoe has been playing poorly lately but give me a break. He is the least of our worries

That's just it, a good qb would make up for a lot of our problems. Any QB can win with a GREAT team around him. Drew Bledsoe is nothing special, not worth 6 million, and definitely not worth a first rounder!

4thAndLong
11-24-2002, 03:25 PM
Oh, and when you get sacked that much its the OL.

Drew has avoided alot of sacks this year too.

Alluro
11-24-2002, 03:27 PM
Does Gilbride get sacked more than any qb short of david carr...it's like watching Rob Johnson without the injuries. Besides, Gilbride more than any other OC takes input from the players even during the games. Bledsoe isn't good enough to carry a team, he is a glorified game manager who we gave a up a 1st rounder for and owe a boatload of money to.

Alluro
11-24-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by 4thAndLong
Oh, and when you get sacked that much its the OL.

Drew has avoided alot of sacks this year too.

I don't remember flutie or van pelt getting sacked at that ridiculous rate. c'mon now, everyone know drew is sack prone...look at his track record in NE, then look at what brady did with the same team.

4thAndLong
11-24-2002, 03:30 PM
Please, this is a totally different OL. You cant compare Drew to Flutie and Van Pelt.

OCs taking input from players shows how lousy they are.

Dozerdog
11-24-2002, 03:31 PM
Who do i suggest ? first, get a 1st rounder for him so we can get a stud D-Lineman or fill another pressing need on the team. Then either let Alex or Travis start, and draft a qb in the draft to develop. There are a lot of qb's coming out this year, we could get any number of solid prospects. Soo.. are ya gonna scream for Travis Brown's head when we lose to the Jets 31-13 next year? Soounds like another 3 year plan

Dozerdog
11-24-2002, 03:32 PM
Replacing Bledsoe for a DL- that 's the way to go..... That will give you your "QB upgrade"

colin
11-24-2002, 03:34 PM
Passing deep with a young OL will get you sacked. That is on Gilbride.

Dropping balls hurts, that is on our recievers, especially JR, he is gone in the off season. That is not Drew's fault.

Never running any play action against a cover 2 lets the deep safeties set and watch, that is on Gilbride.

Saying Drew needs a great team around him to win is both silly and not true. You could say the same about Bret Favre, he did not play well for a while when his team had some injuries, but it does not mean anything. You are being myopic about the QB to the point where you think he is the reason for not winning. He could have played better today, but he could not have cought the ball, played special teams, or played D. He also could not coach our team and get them prepared, which I think is our biggest problem.

SoCalBillsFan
11-24-2002, 03:42 PM
Does Gilbride throw INTs? Does Gilbride get sacked more often than qb short of david carr?

Drew has thrown 7 INT's threw 11 games. That's not bad at all. Not to mention he had several streaks where he didnt throw an INT in over 100 passes.

IT's not his fault the line cant block. I think he actually does a great job of stepping up the pocket and getting passes off.

Drew is not the problem alluro. Sorry.

SoCalBillsFan
11-24-2002, 03:47 PM
here's an even more telling stat

drew's INT percentage is 1.8%, 5th best in the nfl among starters

WG
11-24-2002, 04:01 PM
Drew isn't the entire problem. But he's contributing his share. Alluro brings up some great points actually.

Think about it. Most of you defending Drew, if not all, have been telling us since spring that now that Drew's here, "we'll see!" Well, here we are, amidst a 5 game streak where we're scoring 15.2 points per game. If Drew is all that as we were told, then why aren't we lighting things up? Henry had a good game.

I'm not saying to cut Drew quite yet simply b/c this team has other issues such as Gilbride first on O. But I gotta tell ya, if Drew and/or Gilbride simply can't get it done w/ Moulds, Price, Reed, JR, Moore, Centers, Henry and an excellent OL, then what do they want?? It ain't gonna get much better. To top all that off, we've been virtually free from any major injuries this season.

I wouldn't have brought this thread up, but Alluro, while many of you criticize him, has brought up some valid points. Three games doesn't carry the season in anyone's book. Sure, our D allowed 31 and what could have been more points, but our O sure didn't do anything short of poor! 13 points this week? Anyone wanna defend that as being good?! I sure hope not. 16 last week against one of the worst ranked Ds in the league right behind us? That one? And spare me the whining about the refs. 7 points and a pathetic drive of 99 yards and an inability to get into the endzone on three tries from the 4, 1, and 1? Is this the O that's "awesome!?" B/c if it is, then standards for greatness in the NFL just changed.

I've been saying for years that Drew can only win w/ an allstar team around him. Well, now he has it, and we don't even have an allstar O. We fell about 1.5 ppg in scoring avg. today. We wont' even be in the top 10 of scoring offenses at year's end. I don't care what the D does, but for us w/ all the talent that we have on O, to not be able to be at least among the top 6 or so, is pathetic!

What we should have done was taken 2 DTs instead last season. We would be winning more games w/ them. Then we should have taken a QB this season in the draft rich in QBs with our 1st rounder. But that's history. We have Drew now and no 1st round pick. So we need to work w/in the hand that we've been dealt.

We had better come up w/ a couple of guys that can play DL in FAcy b/c we won't be able to count on a second round or lower pick to contribute immediately like we need.

In the meantime, thank Henry for being our offense today, last week, and in some other games when Gilbride had a fancy to use him. Unfortunately, for someone of his experience to have overused him on occasion today is also pathetic. The man has no idea how to properly use an RB IMO.

Miami is back to its form of being the best team in the AFC again now that Lucas has worked out his 'kinks." Our next 4 are the toughest stretch of the year. If we come away w/ even one victory we'll be lucky. Even Cincy is going to give us a run at this rate.

Something's sorely wrong and I sure hope that GW figures out what it is now, this season so that we don't have to listen to his nonsense about which crap players are going to "step up" next year that couldn't hold the opponents' jocks this year.

Robinson, Watson, JR, and most of our DL I sure hope are not on the team next year or they are so far down the depth chart that they rarely see time.

This team has some very serious issues. It's time for all of those who defend it to quit citing yardage records and stats and start admitting that this team is only marginally better than last year's 3-13 squad.

6-10

We're this season's San Diego of last year. 5-3 start w/ a drastic collapse once the schedule gets tough.

The_Philster
11-24-2002, 04:06 PM
My eyes hurt but I agree with most of what Wys said here.

Originally posted by Wys Guy
What we should have done was taken 2 DTs instead last season.
I do have to wonder about this comment though. Are you talking about the 2001 draft or the 2002 draft or both?

WG
11-24-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan
here's an even more telling stat

drew's INT percentage is 1.8%, 5th best in the nfl among starters

I'm not trying to be hard on Drew, just b/c most of this isn't his fault. Yes, his INTs are the best this season that they've ever been. But that doesn't make up for a lack of scoring and production on the boards. Yards, lack of INTs, and other stats are used to oversimplify this issue. But all that matters is points on the boards. He's tossed 4 TDs in the last 5 games.

Vs. our division for Drew, absolutley nothing has changed; he's got 3 TDs to 5 INTs in our 4 divisional games. Those are the most important games that we're gonna play. Somehow I don't see those numbers improving against Miami next week and @ N.E. when we get part 2 of our a$$ whuppin'.

Points, points, points! That's what this game is about. Not yards. Not records. Not selling jerseys. Points on the board that translate to wins.

We simply aren't scoring any points for a variety of reasons. Drew can't get a pass on all of it. Not if we're to believe everyone who said and continues to say that we have some sort of powerhouse offense. I'm not seeing this powerhouse offense except against Minnesota, another fine defensive team, Oakland, and Chicago. After that, it's been anything but "powerhouse." It may have been good in some games, but powerhouse? No.

Anyway, time to look forward to next season and start speculating on what we might be able to do during the offseason and to start dreaming that Robinson, Watson, and JR all get cut. Many of you will defend Watson, but there's a reason our oppenents are going for him.

And BTW, those of you who complained about the officiating last week can thank your lucky stars for that missed no-call on Clements that would have been huge no doubt leading to even more points for the Jets.

WG
11-24-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
My eyes hurt but I agree with most of what Wys said here.

I do have to wonder about this comment though. Are you talking about the 2001 draft or the 2002 draft or both?

I'm saying it's too late now. IMO we'd have more wins w/ a decent DL. As everyone says, we haven't lost games b/c of our O. In 4 of our losses we put up 23, 16, 13, and 7 points. I'm sure that many QBs could have led us to those point totals. Even Flutie! :rolleyes:

If we had had some D, then we may have won some or all of those games.

Last year the draft was rich w/ DTs and DEs. We traded for Drew and didn't address our DL issues thru FAcy. This year the draft is supposed to be sparse with DTs and DEs. QBs are rich, but only likely for those w/ 1st round picks. Besides, let's get real, we're not taking a QB w/ our 2nd round pick.

We should have gotten some DTs off of FAcy last year w/ the money we spent on Drew. This season we could then have taken a QB or one of the few DTs coming out that will be gone by round 2.

Anyway, it's all water-under-the-bridge and there's really no sense in arguing what we should have done. But this offense sure isn't any powerhouse offense. That much should be clear by now. Oh yeah, against Detroit and Chicago maybe. But not against teams that count. Primarily our own division. If we can't go 4-2 in the division, then we won't have good chances of making the playoffs. It's that simple. And if there's one disturbing thing that hasn't changed, it's Drew's performances against N.E., Miami, and the Jets, teams within his own division. So if there does happen to be a reason why that trade wasn't worth it, then that's it.

Also, expect teams to figure out our D much much more as the season continues. It's not difficult.

Alluro
11-24-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

I'm saying it's too late now. IMO we'd have more wins w/ a decent DL. As everyone says, we haven't lost games b/c of our O. In 4 of our losses we put up 23, 16, 13, and 7 points. I'm sure that many QBs could have led us to those point totals. Even Flutie! :rolleyes:

If we had had some D, then we may have won some or all of those games.

Last year the draft was rich w/ DTs and DEs. We traded for Drew and didn't address our DL issues thru FAcy. This year the draft is supposed to be sparse with DTs and DEs. QBs are rich, but only likely for those w/ 1st round picks. Besides, let's get real, we're not taking a QB w/ our 2nd round pick.

We should have gotten some DTs off of FAcy last year w/ the money we spent on Drew. This season we could then have taken a QB or one of the few DTs coming out that will be gone by round 2.

Anyway, it's all water-under-the-bridge and there's really no sense in arguing what we should have done. But this offense sure isn't any powerhouse offense. That much should be clear by now. Oh yeah, against Detroit and Chicago maybe. But not against teams that count. Primarily our own division. If we can't go 4-2 in the division, then we won't have good chances of making the playoffs. It's that simple. And if there's one disturbing thing that hasn't changed, it's Drew's performances against N.E., Miami, and the Jets, teams within his own division. So if there does happen to be a reason why that trade wasn't worth it, then that's it.

Also, expect teams to figure out our D much much more as the season continues. It's not difficult.

Let me begin by saying that all of my posts are meant in the context of the Bills becoming a superbowl champion team. While i'm not as articulate as wys, i agree with many of the things that he says including the 2 DTs theory. Bledsoe's biggest problem is that he kills HOPE for the future. IMO, he can't carry a team to a win a big game win, as he demonstrated this year against NE. And that does nothing to counteract his inability to win the big game when he was with the patriots. Had we helped out our defense this year, next year we would be starting to reap the rewards and if we were to draft a qb in this draft, we would have a solid foundation and a promising new hope of the future.
When you add Drew Bledsoe to this mix, expectations rise immediately. He is not a young QB to build around as he is 30 so the timetable to win becomes accelerated. On top of that, his body has taken many more hits than the average 30 yr old qb and who knows how many good years he has left. He's not rich gannon, or steve young, or a john elway. He's not the type of mobile qb that can extend his career by avoiding the hits, Bledsoe takes them all head on. Maybe the Bills will put together a championship team in the next few years but who knows what type of drew bledsoe we will get at that time. He is in his "prime" now and he remains inconsistent at best.
When you put together this dismal view of the future with an equally disappointing present it makes you wonder if donahoe truly did blunder on this deal. Imagine if we had kept our pick and selected a franchise qb with pick 7-14. Or even if they didn't, we've seen time and time again that good qb's are available late in the draft as well. We could have drafted another STUD defensive player to go along with our 2 from last season and really began to build something. As it stands now, it looks like we will remain in the land of mediocrity during the Bledsoe tenure...I would've rather seen us suck for a few seasons and then have a shot at the superbowl than be average with no shot.

BillsMan80
11-24-2002, 05:09 PM
Jesus, Bledsoe runs whatever Gilbride gives him. Gilbride sucks.

Alluro
11-24-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by BillsMan80
Jesus, Bledsoe runs whatever Gilbride gives him. Gilbride sucks.

AS the Cliche Goes, PLAYERS MAKE PLAYS...NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. i have found in my experience that more often than not, it is true.

BillsMan80
11-24-2002, 05:15 PM
Well, Drew tries to make plays but when we have supposed players like Riemersma who have "good" hands playing Mr. Butterfingers, it's hard to happen.

4thAndLong
11-24-2002, 05:16 PM
Alluro, your the same person who said to bring Moss in, right? :rolleyes:

:mex:

Alluro
11-24-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by 4thAndLong
Alluro, your the same person who said to bring Moss in, right? :rolleyes:

:mex:

yes..for a 2nd round pick. What does that have to do with this conversation? :rolleyes:

Typ0
11-24-2002, 06:04 PM
Bledsoe lead NE to a big game win last year in the playoffs against pittsburg. There is one theory out the door.

The only problem with Drew right now is Gilbride. Gilbride is a loser. Bledsoe is not a coach. Unfortunatelly, Bledsoe likes Gilbrides moronic mind telling him to go out there and throw all the time. We need an OC who will call the plays that put Bledsoe in a winning position not a losing one. I don't see it with Gilbride here. He's the one who has to go.

Alluro you are too quick to say the players are the ones who have to make the plays. It's the coaches responsibility to put them in a position to make plays and then they have to make them. Being overtly predictable and reliant on the long pass is not putting them in a position to make plays. The reason Henry is ripping people up is because the opposistions aren't even playing against the run. They figure give Henry some decent plays doesn't matter Gilbride is too stupid to shove him down their throat and win some games on his shoulders...and they are right.

I also think you guys are nuts wanting to "wait it out with Travis Brown". There's a reason he is third on the depth chart and no other team wanted him. He sucks. If you are standing there with a first round draft pick and you can use it on any QB in the college draft or pick Bledsoe, a 30 year old player with ten years experience, and you have half a mind you pick Bledsoe. The model you guys are putting forth throws three seasons down the drain. This season is a total wash with TB. Next season we got a guy you think is going to start right out of the gate, a situation which often ruins a young QB's career. Then the next season as he improves. Or you can get a guy who can play right now. I just don't get the logic you guys are putting forth Bledsoe was not worth it because we lost a draft pick. We used the draft pick and we got a good QB with it, a better QB than we likely would have gotten in the draft. Consider the bust factor and this decision is a no brainer.

WCoastFin
11-25-2002, 10:55 AM
I like this thread!

vabillsfan
11-25-2002, 08:51 PM
So, everyone sucks. Our golden boy qb sucks. Our RB used to suck, but now we like him. Moulds was sucking, but he's ok now. JR was a god, but he sucks too. Gilbride, he always sucked. GW -sometimes sucks, sometimes not. What is the answer boyz and girlz?

This is what we call rebuilding. Can Drew take us back to the SB. Sure he can. With a better OC we can do better. Has he made some bad decisions? Sure he has. Do we run him out of town for it? Are you NUTZ?? Remember what its been like post-Jim Kelly around here. Dismal, dismal and dismal, until this year. Some excitement again, something for Bills fans to cheer for.

Look - in the league of parity, we are on the upward swing from a bad, bad year last year. A little better this year. Sure, we had high hopes at 5-3 and they've been smashed a bit.

Get rid of Drew? For who? And when the Bills start sucking again, and our unfortunate bandwagon fans start abandoning the home games, and Ralph, in his old age wants that SB and sees we won't get it without fan support in Buffalo tries to move our team, then what?? Almost happened a few years ago, don't forget.

Patience and common sense people! Enjoy our team, support them when they win, and when they lose. Sure, gripe about stupid play making, sucky play calling, etc. Its our right as fans. Just be serious though.

Drew is the best thing to happen to our team in years. We have a good young nucleus we're building around with a veteran QB, something many teams would love to have. Solid RB, solid WR's, improving O line. Get our D in gear and we'll be on our way.

Remember 1988 and 1989? Lost the AFC Championship to the Bungles (hard to believe that!). A solid D but not much O. In '89, lost to the Browns on the infamous Ronnie "it wasn't thrown perfectly to me" Harmon drop in the end zone. Better O, better D. Then, 1990. Trip to the SB.

Patience people, patience. Enjoy the remaining games, cheer 'em on.

And most importantly,

SQUISH THE FISH!

Typ0
11-25-2002, 09:07 PM
That's good talk va but you also have to fix the problems that arise as you move along with the process. Ignoring the problems because "everything is not perfect yet" will thwart things being perfect ever. Gilbride is part of the problem right now not the solution.

vabillsfan
11-26-2002, 01:58 PM
Dont' get me wrong - I'm not against fixing the problem, there is no doubt we have them. I just don't think Drew is it and blaming him for everything is a joke. People get WAY too tied up in this and every week someone is either happy, po'd, ready to celebrate playoffs, ready to write us off........it gets old.

Support your team a little bit and decide where you are. I for one can't let me happiness get so tied up in whether our Bills win or lose each week like some folks seem to do.

SABURZFAN
11-27-2002, 05:12 AM
i don't know how i missed this thread but i should have known that it was a clown who started it.

THATHURMANATOR
11-27-2002, 08:34 AM
This thread is an absolute joke and I am ashamed of myself for even reading it.

wharfrat
11-27-2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Dr Phil
It's gonna be an empty bandwagon.

Who do you suggest? Jeff George?

Jeff Blake?

Vinny Testeverde should be around next season:rolleyes:

Ray Lucas will be testing the FA market as well.... :rolleyes:
He did well for you the last time we met...

WG
11-27-2002, 09:23 AM
I don't think anyone but alluro has suggested getting rid of Drew. But no one can deny the facts. What are we missing on O? Nothing! We aren't short of top talent in any single skill-position slot! Our OL is probably at a B+ for the season and will only get better. What, we need an A++ OL now for us to put up some points? That will likely never happen.

Typ0, as to your comment about Bledsoe leading the Pats to a win in last year's playoff game v. Pitts., he had one good drive, that's it.

If you want to see how he's performed in the playoffs w/ N.E., then look at all the games. I was saying this all the time last season before we acquired him, but he doesn't have one single outstanding playoff performance among many poor ones, often w/ him being the only weak link. His playoff performances have been abysmal.

Say what you will about that or argue it, but you can't win it. It's the plain truth.

I'm not saying to cut him now, actually we need him. I always said this trade was a risk b/c win or lose, good or bad, like a marriage, he was gonna be here for 3 seasons. What I am saying is that had we fully addressed our DL instead and found a temporary solution at QB, I think we'd be winning more games right now.

Our D would be much better. Our secondary and LBing would be better due simply to an improved DL. And I find it difficult to believe that Brown, Van Pelt, or any other QB couldn't lead this team w/ all of it's talent to 16, 13, or 7 points. That's silly to even argue that.

Besides, if we didn't have Drew, then perhaps we'd be running Henry more like we should be and not throwing 50 times a game. Our O would probably be much more balanced.

As to excuses for Drew, I find it amusing. Last year, RJ got blamed for everything. And I do mean everything. Even stuff that he had absolutely nothing to do with. His OL was about 10% of what it is now, yet he was expected to "make plays." Sacks were the end-all-to-be-all in statistics.

Now, Drew has as many sacks as RJ did. Drew isn't to blame for a thing, it's all his WR's fault, or purely Gilbride. He has what I consider to be one of the better OL's in the game. He's got a RB that is world's above what he was last season.

Yet, he's not to be held accountable. I guess that's what fame will do for ya. :D

I'm w/ alluro on this point; that I'm hoping to win a SuperBowl. AFCE championships or Conference titles are no longer sufficient after the early '90s. While many just want to win as many games as possible no matter how cheaply they may come, injuries, crap teams, etc., I would like to truly have a monster team that is playing it's best.

Right now we have a monster O looking like the weak kid on the block. Every true fan should have issues with that. Bar none. If it isn't up to snuff, then we need to be asking the tough questions why isn't it. That's any fan's responsibility.

There's a lot of things wrong with this team. But we need to evaluate the O and Ds separately. The O shouldn't be having the trouble that they are. I blame Gilbride for most of it. But we also need to realize what type of QB Drew is; he's a good QB that if you have the other elements of a championship team in place, may come trhough for you. I say "may" b/c he never has. That's a fact.

mybills
11-27-2002, 11:35 AM
So many people said that he was our "savior" during aquisition talks. Ha!

IMO, these coaches have been allowing Drew to make his own calls often. It's a little too coincidental for him to be playing like he played in NE, as if OUR coaches are EXACTLY like Bellichik & Co. I think Drew's calling plays that he learned in NE, thinking that they'll work with OUR OL.

Nope, he's not our "savior", and I fault our coaches for loosening the QB reins.

JMO!

justasportsfan
11-27-2002, 12:20 PM
The O is fine and will only get better. This unit is in it's first year together. I guess media hype and some success made us expect us to be a playoff contenders this year. After what I've seen so far I still would've wanted Drew here. Halfway through the season ,no one was complaining when Drew was a MVP candidate in everyone's mind. Now that the TEAM is struggling (and yes it's TEAM) people want Drew out of here?

Alluro , you might as well be a fishfan. With regards to your thoughts on AVP or Travis , it's been discussed and besides who wants to wait for another 3 year project who might not even turn out right.

justasportsfan
11-27-2002, 12:32 PM
No one in his/her right mind will say Brad Johnson is any better than Drew. We have better weapons as well offensively than the bucs. Why are they so far the best team in the league? John Gruden and the D. Why are the Jets the hottest team in the league? Sure Pennington is hot and so is their D . The Jets were one of the favorites when season started last year and it's only now that they are starting to gel. Anyone think that GW and Gray is better than Herman Edwards and Ted Cotrell?

The fins are not leading the AfcE because of Lucas either. So before anyone starts blamming Drew for our problems ,look arround the bills team. I say it's the coaches.

TedMock
11-29-2002, 08:48 AM
Drew has made some mistakes but he's also kept them in some games. I think he needs a "D". The offensive woes are everybody's fault. Drew has made some bad decisions but he's also made some nice throws that have been regularly dropped by Everyone. Reimersma, Moulds, Price and Centers all dropped balls last week. JR dropped two!! They have to have better concentration, they're all vets. I do think that Henry needs more than 17 friggin carries too. The Defense would help the "O" out greatly if they made some plays. There's a little thing called momentum that the "D" hasn't contributed to all season. They blow 3rd downs and that just deflates the rest of the team. I'm glad they picked up Bledsoe but now they need a big fat 300 pounder to play along side PW. There's a lot of money coming free so there are no excuses. I said earlier that 7-9 was realistic and the defense needs to be fixed this offseason. I hope I'm right.