• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G. Host
    Banned
    • Jul 2002

Quick takes from Week 17

Pittsburgh 29, Buffalo 24: You can look at this game from two perspectives. One, the Steelers are so good that, with nothing on the line and their backups on the field, they can soundly (don't let the final score fool you because it wasn't truly that close) beat what had been one of the hottest teams in the league. Two, the Bills weren't as good as their six-game winning streak and dominant play during that stretch had implied. I'm inclined to go with the first perspective. The Steelers have better depth than any team in the NFL. Their collection of running backs alone is beyond amazing. Consider that Willie Parker -- their fourth-stringer behind Duce Staley, Jerome Bettis and Verron Haynes -- ran for 102 yards (making him only the third 100-yard rusher against the Bills this season). At one point in the second half against Buffalo, their defense was missing nine starters -- and still more than held its own. I still don't think that the playoff-worthy form the Bills showed before Week 17 was any sort of mirage. However, they will have a long offseason trying to live down a mostly lifeless effort against the Steelers, who finished with a third-string quarterback (Brian St. Pierre) that was activated two days before the game. That Drew Bledsoe came up so weak under postseason-like pressure (16 of 30 for 189 yards, an interception and three sacks) will only rekindle the discussion about whether he should continue as Buffalo's quarterback next season. more (NFL.com)

I think familiarity, especially with LeBeau, was also a big factor. The ex-Bills assistant knew Gray's schemes even though he changed it somewhat after Gregg Williams was no longer in control. Neither our offense or defense performed well and Steelers gave our special teams no chance of making a difference.
Working...
X