PDA

View Full Version : Replace Bledsoe with who?

buffalofan19
01-03-2005, 12:22 AM
I'm not defending him but if the Bills go with someone else, I want to be 100% sure it will be the right man.

I have always liked Drew Bledsoe since he was drafted, but right now, it seems the Bills should go with someone else. JP Losman, however, is not the man, at least not yet. Not enough experience. Best case scenario is that the Bills would end up with a Carson Palmer type year with him, early growing pains but eventually coming on... but all too late...again. Could end up with a Roethlisberger situation, but I doubt it. Drew Brees seems like the best choice, but I'm not sure the Bills can afford to take the cap hit w/ Bledsoe AND sign Brees. If not Bledsoe, who do you get? I'm sick of looking towards "next year", I ant theis team to win NOW. If it means Bledsoe is gone, so be it, but I want someone I KNOW can immediately take over the reigns. There is too much doubt in my mind about Losman, not his skills, but his smarts, understanding the offense, game situations etc.

So ,if the Bills replace Bledsoe at QB (which, call me crazy, but I don't see Buffalo management doing this), who should they go with? What available QB gives them the best chance to be a playoff team next year?

ArcticWildMan
01-03-2005, 12:24 AM
No way in a million years we sign Drew Brees. We have Losman.

No use mentally masturbating about that any farther.

buffalofan19
01-03-2005, 12:30 AM
No way in a million years we sign Drew Brees. We have Losman.

No use mentally masturbating about that any farther.
I know the Bills have Losman, but I honestly do not believe that they will go to the playoffs with him next year. He does not have enough experience yet, and time is running out. I am not sayin he won't be good, but that kid is too raw and needs more time. The defense and special teams are solid but they are aging and God only knows if the Bills can keep them together for more than 2 years. They need a QB that can win now, not later. Apparently it's not Drew Bledsoe, but who can it be?

ArcticWildMan
01-03-2005, 12:35 AM
I know the Bills have Losman, but I honestly do not believe that they will go to the playoffs with him next year. He does not have enough experience yet, and time is running out. I am not sayin he won't be good, but that kid is too raw and needs more time. The defense and special teams are solid but they are aging and God only knows if the Bills can keep them together for more than 2 years. They need a QB that can win now, not later. Apparently it's not Drew Bledsoe, but who can it be?

People said the same thing about Big Ben in Pittsburgh. His own teammates even said he couldn't handle it.....

Don't write JP off before he has tried.

buffalofan19
01-03-2005, 12:42 AM
People said the same thing about Big Ben in Pittsburgh. His own teammates even said he couldn't handle it.....

Don't write JP off before he has tried.Big Ben is a QB that comes around once in a blue moon. Rarely does a QB with no NFL experience become this successful this fast. And about 99.9% of rookie QB's struggle mightily from the start (even Peyton Manning had a rough rookie year). The chances of rookie QB's having that type of success? ZERO. ZILCH. NADA.

ArcticWildMan
01-03-2005, 12:44 AM
Big Ben is a QB that comes around once in a blue moon. Rarely does a QB with no NFL experience become this successful this fast. And about 99.9% of rookie QB's at least start out by struggling. The chances of @ QB's having that type of success? ZERO. ZILCH. NADA.

And Losman has had a season to learn the ropes by watching. That counts for something.

Bringing in another journeyman QB will do no good. It'll just create another QB controversey and that is the last thing we need.

buffalofan19
01-03-2005, 12:50 AM
And Losman has had a season to learn the ropes by watching. That counts for something.

Bringing in another journeyman QB will do no good. It'll just create another QB controversey and that is the last thing we need.
Right. Just like Carson Palmer, which is what I absolutely do not want to see. This Bills MUST make the playoffs next year, for their own sake as a franchise, and I just don't see that happening with Losman as the starter. He will get better, but only as the season goes on, which will probably be too late.

ArcticWildMan
01-03-2005, 12:54 AM
Right. Just like Carson Palmer, which is what I absolutely do not want to see. This Bills MUST make the playoffs next year, for their own sake as a franchise, and I just don't see that happening with Losman as the starter. He will get better, but only as the season goes on, which will probably be too late.

I'll wait and see how Losman looks next year. He really can't be any worse than Drew if you think about it.

buffalofan19
01-03-2005, 12:59 AM
I'll wait and see how Losman looks next year. He really can't be any worse than Drew if you think about it.
Maybe, maybe not. I honestly don't think it will be good enough. Not making the playoffs in 2005 will be utterly unacceptable for this team, and I don't think it happens with Losman. That's not to say he won't be good in years to come, but I just don't think Losman will get it done next year, which is why I think the Bills need to get someone completely new, if they do not go with Bledsoe. But the problem with that is, cut Bledsoe and you take a huge cap hit.

Mr. Cynical
01-03-2005, 01:01 AM
I don't see us getting a "real" vet starter next year given the cap situation and needs for the rest of the team. By real I mean a $3-4M current league starter. I can see them going after a vet backup at $1-2M, or a 4 year 2nd stringer that is playing behind a star and needs his break.

But in either case I think we start JP no matter what. Look at Eli - he has improved alot in just a few games. Next year I bet he is in the top half of the league if not better. JP needs the same chance. And as AWM pointed out JP has had a year to be around the system. He will have a few more camps and pre-season before the season starts so he won't be as raw as Eli was out of the gate.

If we miss the playoffs again but he constantly improves, then we will have a franchise QB for years to come. That is the ultimate goal given we have had such crap at the position since Kelly left.

Tatonka
01-03-2005, 01:04 AM
I know the Bills have Losman, but I honestly do not believe that they will go to the playoffs with him next year. He does not have enough experience yet, and time is running out.

being a vet doesnt guarentee we make the playoffs either.. as was proved today.. i would rather lose with a rookie that could be good than lose with an overpaid piece of garbage

buffalofan19
01-03-2005, 01:04 AM
I don't see us getting a "real" vet starter next year given the cap situation and needs for the rest of the team. By real I mean a $3-4M current league starter. I can see them going after a vet backup at $1-2M, or a 4 year 2nd stringer that is playing behind a star and needs his break.

But in either case I think we start JP no matter what. Look at Eli - he has improved alot in just a few games. Next year I bet he is in the top half of the league if not better. JP needs the same chance. And as AWM pointed out JP has had a year to be around the system. He will have a few more camps and pre-season before the season starts so he won't be as raw as Eli was out of the gate.

If we miss the playoffs again but he constantly improves, then we will have a franchise QB for years to come. That is the ultimate goal given we have had such crap at the position since Kelly left.
So you think it may be fine to miss the playoffs again? I'm not trying to be negative or over-critical, but I'm not sure I can stand it for the 6th year in a row. Just my opinion though.

The Predator
01-03-2005, 01:19 AM
JP Losman, however, is not the man, at least not yet. Not enough experience.
There Is Only One Way To Get Experience.

You Can't Get It From The Bench.

You Can't Get It From A Clipboard.

You Have To Actually Play In The Game.

Losman>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>05

Mr. Cynical
01-03-2005, 01:32 AM
So you think it may be fine to miss the playoffs again? I'm not trying to be negative or over-critical, but I'm not sure I can stand it for the 6th year in a row. Just my opinion though.
If JP plays next year and shows he is the real deal but we miss the playoffs, I will be disappointed but not as much as this year. This year felt like a waste because I knew Drew wouldn't get us there while JP sat not gaining experience. However, it is what it is and I'll gladly take one more non-playoff year for future years of true contention. But, like Tonk said, I will also say that having a vet doesn't guarantee anything and I'm not going to sell JP short until proven otherwise.

Ebenezer
01-03-2005, 01:41 AM
If JP plays next year and shows he is the real deal but we miss the playoffs, I will be disappointed but not as much as this year. This year felt like a waste because I knew Drew wouldn't get us there while JP sat not gaining experience. However, it is what it is and I'll gladly take one more non-playoff year for future years of true contention. But, like Tonk said, I will also say that having a vet doesn't guarantee anything and I'm not going to sell JP short until proven otherwise.
I still think this team needs to improve as a whole before JP gets thrown in. Brady and Ben to the contrary QB is still the hardest position to transition. I'd like to see this team beat teams with a winning records first. The switch to JP can then be made. This team only beat one team with a winning record. If they aren't that good and you put JP in it could prolong the time it takes for him to get good. Reading Ingtar's comments in the preseason shows that this kid has a lot to learn. Barely playing this year didn't exactly help. Had he been healthy all year I would have no problem with starting him next year. I feel camp should be open but unless he blows DB away he should not be the starter until this team is better suited to go against better teams.

Mr. Cynical
01-03-2005, 02:07 AM
I still think this team needs to improve as a whole before JP gets thrown in. Brady and Ben to the contrary QB is still the hardest position to transition. I'd like to see this team beat teams with a winning records first. The switch to JP can then be made. This team only beat one team with a winning record. If they aren't that good and you put JP in it could prolong the time it takes for him to get good. Reading Ingtar's comments in the preseason shows that this kid has a lot to learn. Barely playing this year didn't exactly help. Had he been healthy all year I would have no problem with starting him next year. I feel camp should be open but unless he blows DB away he should not be the starter until this team is better suited to go against better teams.Problem with this statement is that Drew was the QB this year and as you pointed out we only beat one winning team. You say the team needs to beat more winning teams before JP goes in, but if Drew is still the QB, why is their record against winning teams going to all of a sudden improve? See, that's just the point. Drew can't win games against winning teams consistently. (or even occasionally) So if Drew is the starting QB next year, JP will never get in (using your criteria)

I think JP needs to start Day 1. You can already see the improvement in Eli and that's with an inferior Giants team. JP is mobile and doesn't need the same amount of protection, and although he will likely make mistakes, that's the only way to grow IMO. I just can't bear the thought of another wasted year under Drew. I honestly don't think I will watch another game until he is either the backup or off the roster. It is just too depressing knowing what will happen.

dannyek71
01-03-2005, 07:53 AM
Pick up someone like a Dilfer, Shaun King, Redman, etc....

Whatever vet we have, including DB, would only play maybe the 1st half of the season before JP comes in. Why play a QB about $10 mil a season to start only a handful of games?

As hard as it is to say, next year should be considered a throw-away year for the Bills. We have to groom JP sometime and take the bumps, why not sooner?

Gunzlingr
01-03-2005, 08:54 AM
my $.02 is that with the proper OL, anyone can flourish ala Mark Rypien. This is why Big Ben is doing well, he isn't spectacular, but has time to avoid mistakes. A strong running game is a plus as well, which comes with a good OL.

TedMock
01-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Why not bolster the f**k out of the o-line (that includes backups), get a nice back-up RB, and keep the defense as in tact as possible? If we start JP, but do it in a similiar fashion to what Pittsburgh did with Ben R, we might not be that bad off. Ben didn't put up great numbers. 2600 yards, 17 TD's and 11 INT's. He was never asked to. The good defense, and power running game has helped him learn on the fly and become better as the year wen on. Just my opinion.

Tatonka
01-03-2005, 09:01 AM
gunz and tedmock.. both great posts :up:

superbills
01-03-2005, 09:28 AM
being a vet doesnt guarentee we make the playoffs either.. as was proved today.. i would rather lose with a rookie that could be good than lose with an overpaid piece of garbage

Exactly.

Honestly, can Losman do any worse than Bledsoe has done over the three years he has been here? I still maintain that we win in SPITE of having Bledsoe as our quarterback. The offense is geared toward compensating for Drew's inadequacies. If we can gear an offense to playing to a quaterback's strengths, as opposed to compensating for weaknesses, then the offense could be exponentially stronger, even with a rookie at the helm.

The argument follows that Losman will make rookie mistakes, will take time to develop, yadda yadda. The problem with that argument is that Drew, a seasoned verteran, is making rookie mistakes. Drew is the one that we are trying to "develop" with our egg timers and anti-pat-the-ball elixers that seem to have no effect. Drew is broken and it's too late to fix him. J.P. is eager to learn, is mobile, and has an upside. I defy you to tell me that our winning streak did not have as much to do with some timely defensive plays as it did with a capable offense lead by, not the quarterback, but by an emerging stellar running back.

If you want to make the playoffs, then Drew Bledsoe cannot be your answer. Period. Losman should be the guy and, once our defense figures out how to stop a team on third down, then we can start talking palyoffs.

Mr. Cynical
01-03-2005, 05:21 PM
Exactly.

Honestly, can Losman do any worse than Bledsoe has done over the three years he has been here? I still maintain that we win in SPITE of having Bledsoe as our quarterback. The offense is geared toward compensating for Drew's inadequacies. If we can gear an offense to playing to a quaterback's strengths, as opposed to compensating for weaknesses, then the offense could be exponentially stronger, even with a rookie at the helm.

The argument follows that Losman will make rookie mistakes, will take time to develop, yadda yadda. The problem with that argument is that Drew, a seasoned verteran, is making rookie mistakes. Drew is the one that we are trying to "develop" with our egg timers and anti-pat-the-ball elixers that seem to have no effect. Drew is broken and it's too late to fix him. J.P. is eager to learn, is mobile, and has an upside. I defy you to tell me that our winning streak did not have as much to do with some timely defensive plays as it did with a capable offense lead by, not the quarterback, but by an emerging stellar running back.

If you want to make the playoffs, then Drew Bledsoe cannot be your answer. Period. Losman should be the guy and, once our defense figures out how to stop a team on third down, then we can start talking palyoffs.
Good post. :up:

Buffatexas
01-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Here, let me throw something else on this. Look at when the Ravens won the SB. They had a great D and OLine. We have a D that is almost to that point, we boost the Oline and there you go. Offensively, I think we have more tools than what they did outside of a clutch kicker. They won the SB with Trent Dilfer. All Trent had to do was not make mistakes. And now they have a ring. We can do the same thing, but I cant see Drew not making mistakes no matter how much we boost the Oline.

Michael82
01-03-2005, 09:13 PM
I honestly don't think I will watch another game until he is either the backup or off the roster. It is just too depressing knowing what will happen.

:bigwave:
You have finally shown your colors. Thank you and good bye. :cynic:

LABillsFan
01-03-2005, 10:08 PM
But how bad is the line. I don't think it's great but not as bad as some think. If you see a rush coming or a blitzer unblocked, GET OUT OF THE WAY. This team won 9 games with DB, if he buys himself an additional second here and there, maybe there is no turnover, maybe there is no int or sack. maybe he gets the first down by drawing a LB or DB towrds him and dumps the ball off. Yes these are maybes, but they are also definetly nots with DB. Get JP in there give him the same game plan, the DON'T LOSE THE GAME one.

Jersey1031
01-03-2005, 10:19 PM
hasselbecks a FA...hahah

ejsmith
01-03-2005, 10:38 PM
How about Tommy Maddox?

Jersey1031
01-03-2005, 10:45 PM
no way, too old. need a younger guy so he'll be here awhile

cordog
01-03-2005, 11:50 PM

Vick had no experience in 2002....made playoffs and won
Pennington had no experience in 2002.....made playoffs and won (i believe)
Tom Brady no experience in 2001....won the SB
Boller who i think sucks had the same record as the bills.

It can be done and if Losman is as good as we and others think he can be, i think he will be alright.

ejsmith
01-03-2005, 11:57 PM
no way, too old. need a younger guy so he'll be here awhile

Umm... that's what we drafted Losman for... we need a short term QB that doesn't suck as much as Bledsoe.

Mr. Cynical
01-04-2005, 12:14 AM

It can be done and if Losman is as good as we and others think he can be, i think he will be alright.
:bf1:

Mr. Cynical
01-04-2005, 12:14 AM
Thank you and good bye. :cynic:Don't let the door hit your ass on your way out! :up:

Dozerdog
01-04-2005, 12:23 AM
Don't let the door hit your ass on your way out! :up:
I don't think Mikey is the one who said he would bail if a certain player was on the roster.

I just can't bear the thought of another wasted year under Drew. I honestly don't think I will watch another game until he is either the backup or off the roster. It is just too depressing knowing what will happen.

Mr. Cynical
01-04-2005, 12:25 AM
I don't think Mikey is the one who said he would bail if a certain player was on the roster.
I think you need to look up this word: sarcasm.

Dozerdog
01-04-2005, 12:27 AM
I think you need to look up this word: sarcasm.
And here we had our hopes up...

buffalofan19
01-04-2005, 12:30 AM
Umm... that's what we drafted Losman for... we need a short term QB that doesn't suck as much as Bledsoe.
And Maddox sucks worse than Bledsoe. Not saying too much but it is true.

Mr. Cynical
01-04-2005, 12:33 AM
And here we had our hopes up...
Someone feeling a little poopy because he was wrong about Drew?

:baby:

Dozerdog
01-04-2005, 12:44 AM
Someone feeling a little poopy because he was wrong about Drew?

:baby:
More adult analysis from MR C- .....

Drew is not the greatest QB. Never claimed he was. But I'm not blinded to the fact that he's the only reason for the loss. Or for the woes of the Bills missing the playoffs either.

We lost to the Steelers because of (in no particular order) 3 turnovers, penalties, dropped passes, Rookie coaching mistakes,special teams screw ups, some poor passes, and a defense that let up some big plays. The Steelers are also 15-1 for a reason. Blame enough for a lot of folks on the roster.

Will he start next year? maybe. Maybe JP if he shows enough in camp. I'll leave it to the football experts- Donahoe and Mularkey.

Mr. Cynical
01-04-2005, 12:59 AM
More adult analysis from MR C- .....As always you start the fight but call my maturity into question. :rolleyes:

Drew is not the greatest QB. Never claimed he was. But I'm not blinded to the fact that he's the only reason for the loss. Or for the woes of the Bills missing the playoffs either.And, as usual, you are putting words into my mouth. I never once said he was the only reason. But he is the biggest reason and nobody has given a plausible argument to the contrary.

Will he start next year? maybe. Maybe JP if he shows enough in camp. I'll leave it to the football experts- Donahoe and Mularkey.Let me ask you this...what is your basis for calling TD and MM experts?

Dozerdog
01-04-2005, 01:02 AM
As always you start the fight but call my maturity into question. :rolleyes:

And, as usual, you are putting words into my mouth. I never once said he was the only reason. But he is the biggest reason and nobody has given a plausible argument to the contrary.

Let me ask you this...what is your basis for calling TD and MM experts?

They have jobs in the NFL, and aren't internet nerds (present company included) with a keyboard and a remote control.

Soooo glad they chose to pass on Brunell, Garcia, and Warner.

Dozerdog
01-04-2005, 01:06 AM
Ah yess....another late night :pee: match with Mr C.

Your "poopie" comments and baby smilies aside, What words am I putting into anyone's mouth let alone yours?

Mr. Cynical
01-04-2005, 01:06 AM
They have jobs in the NFL, and aren't internet nerds (present company included) with a keyboard and a remote control.

Soooo glad they chose to pass on Brunell, Garcia, and Warner.
Ok....so using your definition of experts....Rich Kotite and Dan Snyder are experts as well. Yet you've continually bashed Snyder for being an idiot.

Seems to me you have just contradicted yourself. :idunno:

Dozerdog
01-04-2005, 01:07 AM
Ok....so using your definition of experts....Rich Kotite and Dan Snyder are experts as well. Yet you've continually bashed Snyder for being an idiot.

Seems to me you have just contradicted yourself. :idunno:
I think Snyder was dumb enough to want Brunell...

Mr. Cynical
01-04-2005, 01:08 AM
I think Snyder was dumb enough to want Brunell...
Yet he "has a job in the NFL", which by your definition makes him an expert.

Dozerdog
01-04-2005, 01:09 AM
Where is any of this going?

Mr. Cynical
01-04-2005, 01:09 AM
Where is any of this going?
Oh, I think you can put 2 and 2 together.

Dozerdog
01-04-2005, 01:10 AM
Please = explain.

Mr. Cynical
01-04-2005, 01:12 AM
Will he start next year? maybe. Maybe JP if he shows enough in camp. I'll leave it to the football experts- Donahoe and Mularkey.
I think Snyder was dumb enough to want Brunell...Do I really have to spell it out any further?

Dozerdog
01-04-2005, 01:12 AM
yes

NapalmDeath
01-04-2005, 01:15 AM

Aside from Brady, look at them now..... Vick? Pennington?
yup bring any of them in..... No way we can lose, right?

NapalmDeath
01-04-2005, 01:16 AM
BTW Cynical

What happened to your sig a few weeks ago?

Deleted?

Mr. Cynical
01-04-2005, 01:17 AM
At this point you are :fishing: but anyway....

You trust MM and TD because they are experts.
By your definition, Snyder is an expert because "he has a job in the NFL".
Yet you say Snyder sucks.
Therefore, you are contradicting yourself by using the "expert" label as the reason you feel they will make the right decision.

Checkmate. Thanks for playing. :up:

NapalmDeath
01-04-2005, 01:20 AM
BTW Cynical

What happened to your sig a few weeks ago?

Deleted?

Hello?

Dozerdog
01-04-2005, 01:22 AM

Therefore, you are contradicting yourself by using the "expert" label as the reason you feel they will make the right decision.

I'll take a combo that produced a 9-3 finish after an 0-4 start and leave it to their judgement..over...say... a bunch of clowns on a football site message board. Mularkey will select the QB that he feels gives the Bills the best shot at winning.

PS- Snyder is not an employee...he's an employer.

buffalofan19
01-04-2005, 01:23 AM

There are exceptions to every rule.

In this case, Snyder is one since he got his foot in the NFL door based on money alone. Donahoe and Mularkey didn't.

Another exception to a rule, that of rookie QB's: Ben Roethlisberger.

Mr. Cynical
01-04-2005, 01:23 AM
I'll take a combo that produced a 9-3 finish after an 0-4 start and leave it to their judgement..over...say... a bunch of clowns on a football site message board.

PS- Snyder is not an employee...he's an employer.:jig:

NapalmDeath
01-04-2005, 01:27 AM
:jig:

:doh:

cordog
01-04-2005, 01:33 AM
Aside from Brady, look at them now..... Vick? Pennington?
yup bring any of them in..... No way we can lose, right?

AHHHH they have their teams in the playoffs

Mr. Cynical
01-04-2005, 01:34 AM
There are exceptions to every rule.

In this case, Snyder is one since he got his foot in the NFL door based on money alone. Donahoe and Mularkey didn't.

Another exception to a rule, that of rookie QB's: Ben Roethlisberger.I won't argue that there are varying levels of effectiveness and talent in the coaching and FO ranks. That is why I asked him what his definition of "expert" was. His answer, "they have jobs in the NFL", is obviously wrong. Many people have jobs in the NFL who suck. Hence, saying MM and TD will make the right decision because they are "experts" (using his definition) is also wrong.

Like many in the media and fanbase I will question any move I feel deserves being questioned. Just because I'm not an "expert" doesn't mean I can't be right and they could be wrong. How many people here said Coughlin was wrong about benching Warner for Eli? He is an "expert", yet many say he screwed up.

Expert or not, nobody is beyond question.

justasportsfan
01-04-2005, 08:03 AM
Travis Brown would've been better than Drew. Hell , even Mathews looked better than Drew in the little time he was in. :snicker:

Michael82
01-04-2005, 09:30 AM
EXACTLY! And he could hide behind sarcasm all he wants. IF Bledsoe is still the starter next year, I could see him boycotting the Bills.

helmetguy
01-04-2005, 11:59 AM
Ah yess....another late night :pee: match with Mr C.

Your "poopie" comments and baby smilies aside, What words am I putting into anyone's mouth let alone yours?
Another "Gong Show" appearance for Gene Gene the Dancing Machine, eh?