PDA

View Full Version : Doug Flutie

nuklz2594
01-03-2005, 02:31 AM
Doug Flutie looked good for the Chargers. It made me think of the infamous what if?
What if we had kept Flutie and stuck with him? What if we would have given him the same amount of time as we have to Bledsoe? What if we stuck with Flutie as our starter and not traded for Rob Johnson? What if we used the draft picks to surround Flutie with talent? What if we gave Flutie a team and not traded for Bledsoe? What if we used those draft picks to surround Flutie with talent--including drafting a young college qb to take over the reins?
I am not saying we would have been world beaters but Flutie has produced and not whined about the San Diego situation. If anything he has been a model of a team player. Nobody here can make an argument that we are/ were better off without Flutie. Flutie must be enjoying this year immensely. Our qb situation is pitiful. Losman is/will not be ready at the start of next year. Bledsoe is as good as gone. What a sorry end to an over-hyped career. What was worse trading for RJ or Bledsoe?
Your thoughts?

hintexas
01-03-2005, 04:38 AM
But the Bills couldn't stick with Flutie because Rob Johnson is so much younger and was going to have such a longer career. Well guess what Flutie looked really good on Sunday in 2005 and where is Rob Johnson.

The_Philster
01-03-2005, 06:21 AM
:shakeno: When a team doesn't prepare for the midget, he can beat you. Belichek showed the league how to handle him when he played for us and I guarantee that if Flutie were still here, he'd still be handled pretty easily.

Iehoshua
01-03-2005, 07:25 AM
:shakeno: When a team doesn't prepare for the midget, he can beat you. Belichek showed the league how to handle him when he played for us and I guarantee that if Flutie were still here, he'd still be handled pretty easily.
As much as I like Flutie, I have to agree.

That being said, I don't believe the Music City Miracle would ever have occurred had Flutie started. I believe we'd have won easily...

The_Philster
01-03-2005, 07:30 AM

That being said, I don't believe the Music City Miracle would ever have occurred had Flutie started. I believe we'd have won easily...

We'll never know...Fisher and Williams may have used the blueprint that Belichek basically drew up and shut him down....forced him to make the mistakes that prompted Wilson to allow Wade to make the QB switch :idunno:

ryjam282
01-03-2005, 07:30 AM

Oh you mean the guy that is the last QB to take us to the playoffs? I am and always will be a HUGE fan of Flutie. The guy wins, hands down, no argues about it. He took this team with some lesser talent and made them winners. He is a great leader and knows how to win in big games. God, I wish we still had him. Remember when we had a QB that knew had to use the TE effectively, hell he made Remiersma a household name and a very highly paid TE. Remember when we had a QB that when a pocket broke down, it wasn't a 10 yard loss (sack) but it was a 7-8 yard run or even a jump pass? That is what this team needs. A LEADER

ticatfan
01-03-2005, 07:41 AM
I always believed that flutie's career was cast in stone, banished to the CFL, he wins up here and then heads back to the NFL to win a super bowl and then retire, but he got pulled and the rest is history.

TedMock
01-03-2005, 08:49 AM
I can't say whether or not he would've made a difference. What I do know is that we only finished one game better but the circumstances were pretty much the same. We had a top 5 defense, and an offense that averaged just over 14 points per game. Our offenses without him were actually statistically better. Not that it matters, I'm just pointing it out. We did get into the first round that year, and he was worthless. The only thing we could do now is pray to god that Losman ends up decent, and that we can improve the o-line. Hopefully we can ease Losman into it by utilizing the heck out of the running game. Similiar to what Pittsburgh did with Rothlisberger. Don't ask him to do alot, just don't do anything stupid. He's mobile, so he'll be able to get out of a few jams when necessary. I just hope that he's not a moron. The physical tools are there, it's his head that scares me.

McGaheehee
01-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Im a Flutie Fan and all I know is that he's in the playoffs, throwing a TD yesterday and were on the sidelines being led by Bledsoe and the memory Mr. Sacked Rob Johnson.

Tatonka
01-03-2005, 09:18 AM
i refuse to get into this debate.. lol.