PDA

View Full Version : Will they bring back Shane Matthews to camp?

G. Host
01-03-2005, 11:55 AM
I am not asking if they will have him on the roster next year but will they give him a chance to come to camp to earn a roster spot? Has he shown all that he can show to Bills and they might consider him if an injury occurs or do they feel he has enough left in tank to warrent another fully paid season. As a veteran he gets paid entire salary if he is on roster day 1.

Ebenezer
01-03-2005, 11:56 AM
I am not asking if they will have him on the roster next year but will they give him a chance to come to camp to earn a roster spot? Has he shown all that he can show to Bills and they might consider him if an injury occurs or do they feel he has enough left in tank to warrent another fully paid season. As a veteran he gets paid entire salary if he is on roster day 1.
I could care less...he would be a number 3 at best...Losman has to be the number 2 if DB is the starter and should get every snap that DB doesn't.

Iehoshua
01-03-2005, 11:59 AM
I could care less...he would be a number 3 at best...Losman has to be the number 2 if DB is the starter and should get every snap that DB doesn't.

I'd prefer to keep someone cheaper in the 3 spot then, or no one. We can usually sign someone if necessary, ala how we got Matthews and the Bears got Jeff George...

Ebenezer
01-03-2005, 12:02 PM
I'd prefer to keep someone cheaper in the 3 spot then, or no one. We can usually sign someone if necessary, ala how we got Matthews and the Bears got Jeff George...
he was brought in under the vets minimum and would be brought back under such...that is only 250K more than a street free agent rookie.

ryjam282
01-03-2005, 12:04 PM
he was brought in under the vets minimum and would be brought back under such...that is only 250K more than a street free agent rookie.

I wouldn't mind either way. He would be no more then the #3 guy if he were to return.

kgun12
01-03-2005, 03:20 PM
I think I read or heard that he is ready and will go back to retirement after the season. I would take him back as our #3, cheap, know the system, and I think he could help JP cause there would not be any compitition between them.

G. Host
01-03-2005, 03:24 PM
I think I read or heard that he is ready and will go back to retirement after the season. I would take him back as our #3, cheap, know the system, and I think he could help JP cause there would not be any competition between them.

#3 Veteran QBs ought to be brought back after week 1 and paid for games needed IMO. I do not know what he is doing post gamedays but if the Bills want to keep him around to break down film as an assistant that is OK for it would keep him around Bills as EMERGENCY backup signee.

Despite the veteran discount, backup QBs are paid quite a lot to hopefully do nothing.