PDA

View Full Version : "Offensive Pass Interference" Call

finsrclowns
01-03-2005, 03:19 PM
"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas".

Having said that, the call against Josh Reed for offensive pass interference was bogus and pivotal. I thought so watching in person and reviewed the tape this morning. On the play Reed's job is to block the linebacker assigned to cover Shelton. He does this, clearly before the ball is thrown, and Shelton catches the ball for a first and goal at the 7. The penalty backs the Bills up to the the 21, 3rd and 11. A pass play to Trafford gains 10 yards, leaving 4th and one. Lindell then misses the FG. On the first play after the missed FG, Pitt runs 60 yards to the Buffalo 22 and gets a FG, a 6 to 10 point swing and an enormous momentum shift in the game. I feel very confident if that call was not made we go in for a TD there and win the game. :fury:

FTG
01-03-2005, 03:25 PM
I feel if Lindell makes that FG we likely win the game.

cordog
01-03-2005, 03:29 PM
There were some bad calls. The pass interference against us and i dont think whoever it was even touched the guy. Missed Holding calls. I guess the Steelers are the perfect team. I think they had 1 penalty all day. A tripping call which really sucked because McGahee would have ran for about 20 yds.

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-03-2005, 04:55 PM
The defensive pass interference call was horse ****!!!!

Michael82
01-03-2005, 05:24 PM
There were some bad calls. The pass interference against us and i dont think whoever it was even touched the guy. Missed Holding calls. I guess the Steelers are the perfect team. I think they had 1 penalty all day. A tripping call which really sucked because McGahee would have ran for about 20 yds.
Actually, after watching McGahee run before he was tripped in my end zone...I think he might have broken a long one for at least 30 or 40 yards. He had the blocks, and could have taken it downfield for a long one.

don137
01-03-2005, 05:32 PM
I think that penalty was the turning pint of the game. if it was never called I really believe we would be talking about the upcoming game against Indy

Michael82
01-03-2005, 05:42 PM
I think that penalty was the turning pint of the game. if it was never called I really believe we would be talking about the upcoming game against Indy
I agree. :sadwalk:

Ebenezer
01-04-2005, 11:54 AM
I feel if Lindell makes that FG we likely win the game.
So, are you saying that it's not Bledsoe's fault we lost?

Ebenezer
01-04-2005, 11:56 AM
2:00 of events changed the game...the Reed penalty, the missed FG and the 59-yd run by Parker...after those wheels came off everything was irrelevant...Pittsburgh stole the momentum and used 4/5 of it's starting OL to wear down the defense.

don137
01-04-2005, 12:13 PM
2:00 of events changed the game...the Reed penalty, the missed FG and the 59-yd run by Parker...after those wheels came off everything was irrelevant...Pittsburgh stole the momentum and used 4/5 of it's starting OL to wear down the defense.

I agree but if the Reed penalty never happened it's most likely the other events would of never happened...

jamze132
01-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Lets not forget about the Drew factor. He still would have found a way to lose if we did score on that drive. Seriously, the guy keeps getting a "delay of game" penalty AFTER A DAMN TIMEOUT!!!! Just get your ass on the field and stop drewing us!

justasportsfan
01-04-2005, 02:21 PM
So, are you saying that it's not Bledsoe's fault we lost? :snicker:

jamze132
01-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Plus the referees drewed us like they have all year.

chernobylwraiths
01-04-2005, 05:07 PM
The defensive pass interference call was horse ****!!!!

Sorry, but I don't think you can say this at all. Fletcher clearly grabbed his arm on the play just before the ball got there. I hated it, and the guy dropped the ball I think all by himself, but it was a penalty.

clumping platelets
01-04-2005, 10:26 PM
Sorry, but I don't think you can say this at all. Fletcher clearly grabbed his arm on the play just before the ball got there. I hated it, and the guy dropped the ball I think all by himself, but it was a penalty.

Then it should have been called as defensive holding not PI

clumping platelets
01-04-2005, 10:27 PM
Sorry, the Reed call was correct. You are not allowed to engage in the block while the ball is in the air as he did.

Dozerdog
01-04-2005, 10:32 PM
It was a pick play- those are illegal.

Then the 4th and 1 we chose not to try and convert

Then the missed FG

Then the huge run by what's his face for the Steelers.

Everyone had a hand in this loss. Except MaGahee.

finsrclowns
01-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Sorry, the Reed call was correct. You are not allowed to engage in the block while the ball is in the air as he did.

That's the point- the ball was NOT in the air. I watched in slow mo.

finsrclowns
01-04-2005, 10:59 PM
It was a pick play- those are illegal.

How can it be called a pick if the block is executed before the ball is thrown?

finsrclowns
01-04-2005, 11:01 PM
Then it should have been called as defensive holding not PI

Nope. If the ball is in the air it's PI, not holding. Holding is called if the defender touches the receiver after 5 yards and the ball is not yet in the air. Fletcher did get him on the arm- it wasn't much but them's the rules.

chernobylwraiths
01-04-2005, 11:07 PM
Nope. If the ball is in the air it's PI, not holding. Holding is called if the defender touches the receiver after 5 yards and the ball is not yet in the air. Fletcher did get him on the arm- it wasn't much but them's the rules.

Thank you, I was going to say that.

As for the Reed play. Yes, even before the ball is thrown it is illegal to purposely get in the way of a defender trying to cover someone. You aren't supposed to block downfield until after the ball is thrown and caught. I don't understand how a defender is allowed to engage a receiver within five yards but a receiver isn't allowed to engage a defender before a ball is thrown but I believe that is the rule. Of course it is never called unless it is the Bills. Other teams like the old 49ers, the Patriots, and any team that uses the west coast offense uses it and it is very rarely called.

finsrclowns
01-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Thank you, I was going to say that.

As for the Reed play. Yes, even before the ball is thrown it is illegal to purposely get in the way of a defender trying to cover someone. You aren't supposed to block downfield until after the ball is thrown and caught. I don't understand how a defender is allowed to engage a receiver within five yards but a receiver isn't allowed to engage a defender before a ball is thrown but I believe that is the rule. Of course it is never called unless it is the Bills. Other teams like the old 49ers, the Patriots, and any team that uses the west coast offense uses it and it is very rarely called.

Well then answer this for me- what is considered "downfield"? Reed's block was within 5 yards of the LOS. Is that still illegal? And would it have been legal if Bledsoe had decided to run instead of pass? If that's the rule it really sucks because clearly Reed was doing what he was assigned to do. Does that mean we ran a knowingly illegal play?