PDA

View Full Version : Is Moulds a bust?

DaBills
01-03-2005, 04:32 PM
mbbedard mentioned moulds in another thread which got me to thinking. After all this time under three different QBs and systems, is Moulds a bust as a Moss-type WR? Dropped balls yesterday, some uncatchable too. But the ones he missed on two different plays, he came up looking for flags that shouldn't have been called anyway. Like he was distracted.

Is he just not involved because of the increased competition from Reed and company, or is there some other reason? He seems to be now a short-yardage over the middle guy, try and make something happen after the catch. But he ends up running backwards a few yards trying to outjuke guys and gets stopped.

FTG
01-03-2005, 04:36 PM
He's not what he was 3 yrs ago thats for sure. I don't know why.

Crisis
01-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Bust? No. He's the second best receiver in franchise history, far from a bust.

Has he lost a step? Maybe. Who knows, his hammy injury from last year could be the cause, or he's just getting old.

Either way, he's still producing great numbers and should never ever be considered a bust.

Randy Moss type receiver? There's only one Randy Moss. I've never seen anyone make the catches he does routinely, but atleast he isn't the crybaby that Moss is.

finsrclowns
01-03-2005, 04:47 PM
After all this time under three different QBs and systems, is Moulds a bust as a Moss-type WR?

That's an interesting way to phrase the question, since Moss is the best receiver in football. If you're comparing Moulds to Moss, Moulds will suffer, but so will every other receiver. Moulds is still a good player, he's just not a top 15 receiver anymore. Unfortunately he is paid like a top 5 receiver. I think Moulds will be asked to "restructure" his deal, which I think would be a good thing for the Bills and for Moulds, who is unlikely to match anything close to his present salary elsewhere. If he won't, or wants out for whatever reason, the Bills may seek to deal him.

rtconner
01-03-2005, 04:50 PM
a bust? as in a waste of a draft pick??? i don't get it. even if moulds pulled a ricky w, i wouldnt call that a bust.

Jan Reimers
01-03-2005, 05:00 PM
"Bust" is generally used to describe a high draft choice who never performs at anywhere near the level expected of him. Moulds, by contrast, has been an elite receiver in this league. But the words "has been" in the preceding sentence may be closer to describing him now. He has lost a step, and his hands have become dinner plates.

BillsFever21
01-03-2005, 05:26 PM
The answer is neither.

Moulds isn't a bust but but he also isn't anywhere close to the Moss or Owens level of WR's. He never has been and never will be in the same level with them guys.

Moulds is good but not great. There's some better then him, a lot just as good as him and tons not even close to being as good.

If some never overrated him then this question wouldn't need to even be brought up.

If you're comparing him to the elite WR's then he is a bust. If you're comparing to a good WR then he hasn't been anywhere close to a bust.

I will admit he's not the same WR he was up to a couple years ago. Whether it's from him losing a step with age or just not giving the same effort is the only question I would like to be answered.

rtconner
01-03-2005, 05:46 PM
Whether it's from him losing a step with age or just not giving the same effort is the only question I would like to be answered.I'm with you, I often wonder the same thing. I prefer to think its the latter.

DaBills
01-03-2005, 06:19 PM
By bust I mean as a WR that was hyped to be a Moss-like go-to guy, not as draft positions go. I think when he asked for, and then got his dollars as a top-5 position player, he had a responsibility to live up to it.

BillsFever21
01-03-2005, 06:23 PM
By bust I mean as a WR that was hyped to be a Moss-like go-to guy, not as draft positions go. I think when he asked for, and then got his dollars as a top-5 position player, he had a responsibility to live up to it.
In that case then most definitely he would be considered a bust. No way he sniffs the Top 5 for best WR's.

buffalofan19
01-03-2005, 08:06 PM
He is not a bust by any stretch of the imagination... but he could have been better. He has dropped quite a few balls this year, 4 or 5 of them have happened to be in the endzone. He is a very good receiver, but not an elite one.

dannyek71
01-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Moulds is as much of a bust as Emmitt Smith is a bust..... Emmitt hasnt done anything recently, he must have been a bust....

Dumbest....Thread.....Ever....

DaBills
01-03-2005, 08:39 PM
Dumbest....Thread.....Ever....

And....You....Posted....In....It....

The dude is making top dollar and not producing. Since '96 he has only 4 - 1,000+ yard seasons. TD's way down and this year only 2 catches over 40 yards and 12 catches over 20 yards this year. Maybe not a bust if the word upsets you, but he's not being paid to run slants.

That's the question. He's not a Holt, Harris, TO, Moss, etc, but he's getting paid like them.

:shocked:

NapalmDeath
01-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Moulds has not had his best year this year. I don't remember any season where he has dropped more balls.

dannyek71
01-03-2005, 10:10 PM
And....You....Posted....In....It....

The dude is making top dollar and not producing. Since '96 he has only 4 - 1,000+ yard seasons. TD's way down and this year only 2 catches over 40 yards and 12 catches over 20 yards this year. Maybe not a bust if the word upsets you, but he's not being paid to run slants.

That's the question. He's not a Holt, Harris, TO, Moss, etc, but he's getting paid like them.

:shocked:
Pay has nothing to do whether or not a player is a bust..... Its what he does on the field, regardless of pay...

Jersey1031
01-03-2005, 10:17 PM
moulds is not a bust, yes hes been dropping alot of balls lately, and his numbers havent been flashy. but he takes the double teams allowing looks to evans and ours te's...

capitolneal
01-03-2005, 10:29 PM
funny thing he got 1000 yds recieving ala (hines ward) faces tons of double teams makes a rookie reciever better ie. one on one coverage... bust NO team player YES this guy gies out and does his job he has dropped several passes this year agreed but jeez look at the contribution safties roll to his side 90% of the time nex year they won't get away with that this team is on the verge of greatness and it is no stretch to sat he is our BEST athelete
hands down I read something the other day that the bills play pick-up games and he is the best basketball player on the team (was recruited by ucla) and I still can't phathom the word bust next to his name we should be praising him for the last 2 yrs

justasportsfan
01-04-2005, 07:53 AM
mbbedard mentioned moulds in another thread which got me to thinking. After all this time under three different QBs and systems, is Moulds a bust as a Moss-type WR? Dropped balls yesterday, some uncatchable too. But the ones he missed on two different plays, he came up looking for flags that shouldn't have been called anyway. Like he was distracted.

Is he just not involved because of the increased competition from Reed and company, or is there some other reason? He seems to be now a short-yardage over the middle guy, try and make something happen after the catch. But he ends up running backwards a few yards trying to outjuke guys and gets stopped.Nope, he's no way a bust. He's made to run 5-10 yds out because the coaches feel we need to get the ball out of the qb's hands quick and add to the fact that teams know that Drew's first option is Moulds. The only time Moulds is in single coverage is when it's a quick release for 5 yds. otherwise he has 2-3 db's on him and yet he's gone for over 1000 yds.

In 2004 Moulds has had 11.9 avg yds per catch. The second lowest average in his career.

In 1998 he had a 20.4 avg. w/ Flutie throwing it up in the air. He had 1398 for the season excluding his playoff record of 280 yds.

Every year that Drew played Moulds avg. dropped but his 3rd best season was in 2002 when drew was playing like a probowler for 1/2 of the season.

Moulds is just not put in a position to shine because of Drew. Evans on the other benefits from it.

mybills
01-04-2005, 08:02 AM
You beat me to it, justa. Drew makes Moulds look bad. :mad:

justasportsfan
01-04-2005, 08:10 AM
You beat me to it, justa. Drew makes Moulds look bad. :mad:

In 2002 he had 100 catches for 1292 but in 1998 he had 67 catches but 1398 yds.

This year he had 88 catches and only 1043. So it's obvious Drew is hurting his nos.

DaBills
01-04-2005, 12:50 PM
"Pay has nothing to do whether or not a player is a bust..... Its what he does on the field, regardless of pay..."

I may have to go back on the word 'bust'. Overrated perhaps, not living up to potential is probably more how I feel. It just seems like the bigger ones earn the top dollars because we expect more.

Money has to affect the perception though. Salary is based on the position and potential of the player. Warner was an undrafted FA. No loss for the team if he sucked because I don't think the Rams gave up much to get him. Same with NE and Brady in the 6th round. Ryan Leaf though got top dollar for the #1 pick and he tanked. Mandarich too with GB and the Boz.

The point on money is that if you are going to have your agent haggle with the team because you want franchise-type dollars, then your numbers have to match those of dudes in the top slots at your position. This puts him now in a position where next year, he can't justify getting that kind of money. Wiley left because we couldn't give him that type of money. He got his in SD but ends up in Dallas where I don't think he did much at all this year.

We're using Moulds as a guy in essentially short-yardage pass situations, end-arounds and going strictly across the middle, we're going to get him killed eventually. Have someone else run those. It's no good putting him out as the only WR with him doubled if we can't exploit it either.

Thing is, will he want to stay here if this season is the type of catches he's going to get from now on?

:peace:

DaBills
01-04-2005, 12:54 PM
In 1998 he had a 20.4 avg. w/ Flutie throwing it up in the air. He had 1398 for the season excluding his playoff record of 280 yds.

I think the only reason Moulds did well with DF was because that was a case of a QB buying time for his WR the way he scrambled so much. Corners and safeties can't cover guys for 4-5-6 seconds and Moulds found time to break free.

TedMock
01-04-2005, 01:16 PM
Moulds has not had his best year this year. I don't remember any season where he has dropped more balls.

Don't look any further back than last season. He's been dropping ball for two years now, and I have no idea why. NO!! We can't blame the QB for that, so please don't anybody start another one of those threads. He dropped two right in his hands Sunday, and he's done it a few times in the last two seasons. His head's in his butt for whatever reason. He's not a bust, he's a solid #1 WR on most teams, but he's not an "elite" WR like he always thought he was. He's definitely not a top 5 guy, but he's in the top half of WR's. Probably somewhere in the 10-20 range. Bust? Absolutely not. Elite? Absolutely not.

justasportsfan
01-04-2005, 01:38 PM
I think the only reason Moulds did well with DF was because that was a case of a QB buying time for his WR the way he scrambled so much. Corners and safeties can't cover guys for 4-5-6 seconds and Moulds found time to break free. so either we get Flutie back or we just start JP who's another Flutie w/ height and arm. Even when Drew had time to throw, he still threw INT's.

TedMock
01-04-2005, 01:41 PM
who's another Flutie w/ height and arm.

Hmmm. A Flutie, but with physical tools, and talent. Rob Johnson with brains, and heart? Let's hope JP is JP, and not one of these two goofs.

justasportsfan
01-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Hmmm. A Flutie, but with physical tools, and talent. Rob Johnson with brains, and heart? Let's hope JP is JP, and not one of these two goofs. i"m just bringing up the point you made about buying time to let our wr's get open. Moulds , Reed hasn't had time to get open up the middle in traffic .

Not only will db's and lb's have to worry about Willis , Moulds, reed and Evans ,they will also have to deal w/ Losman going for the first down on 3 and 1-2. Imagine the possibilities. W/ Drew it's predictable.

TedMock
01-04-2005, 01:55 PM
i"m just bringing up the point you made about buying time to let our wr's get open. Moulds , Reed hasn't had time to get open up the middle in traffic .

Not only will db's and lb's have to worry about Willis , Moulds, reed and Evans ,they will also have to deal w/ Losman going for the first down on 3 and 1-2. Imagine the possibilities. W/ Drew it's predictable.

No argument here. Naked bootleg passing could also be implemented. Regardless of who's at QB, we need to improve at left guard, maybe center, and definitely at the backup positions. If it's Drew, he needs the running game more, and more time in the pocket. If it's JP, he'll be a first time starter whom we shouldn't put a lot on. ie. Ben R. in Pittsburgh. Great o-line, great running game, great defense, not a lot on his shoulders. Sorry I got off topic. Oh yeah, we'll need a veteran WR like Moulds to help him a little, too!