PDA

View Full Version : Ok... I have had about 36 hours to cool off...

Pride
01-04-2005, 09:08 AM
These can be applied to this single game, or to the entire season... but are all things I would like to discuss.

1. Mularky came into this season... with what I thought was an open mind to putting our players in the best situations to excel. In weeks 1-4 you could see him trying to allow this to happen... believing that it would work. Later in the season, you could see that in fact, it was working. So explain to me why, in week 17... you go against everything you have been preaching all season about putting your players in successful situations, and make your QB who is better at the long ball, and terrible at the short range stuff... play outside of his natural game? Save for the last drive... not 1 pass was thrown over 25 yards. Everyone in the stadium knew that Drew had to throw the ball deep at least once per quarter!

Mularky needs to re-evaluate, and if DB does in fact come back, there should be a conscious effort to be made to throwing the ball deep at least once per quarter (unless we are protecting a lead).

2. Sunday, I felt that I was watching play calls similar to Gilbride's era in Buffalo. There were several situations where it was a 3rd and 1 or 2 and we passed the ball. If you line up on 3rd and 1... and run... and still dont make it, noone will question your play calling, as you have the greatest chances for success doing that. But to line up in a 3 wide formation, and throw the ball on 3rd and 1... it just doesnt make sense to me! You are, in essence, outcoaching yourself!

3. What happened to the special teams Sunday? The kicking was HORRIBLE, by both kickers. Lindell needs to go. There have to be more than 30 kickers in the USA who can kick a ball over 45 yards consistently. Lindell hasnt had a touchback since I can remember... nor is he good for a long FG with the game on the line. Dump him.

On the otherhand, I believe Mooreman was trying to do too much, and possibly even out-think the weather. Rather than getting the ball up in the high swirling winds, he was trying to line drive it, which was only good for getting the oppenent to the 50. I think Pitt played most of the day on OUR side of the field.

4. Our DE's suck... our #2 pick during the draft (if we dont pick up a #1) should be DE. No question. Maddox had all day to throw back there.... as did St. Pierre.

5. I think everyone on this board is so enamored by Terrance McGee's Kick Off Return ability, that they let him slide in pass coverage. He has been our liability the whole season back there. Sure, for a while, we didnt have a choice... but IMO, he should NOT start next year, unless he shows vast improvement. He has all of the physical tools, and is definately a ball hawk... but for every great play he makes... he makes a boneheaded play where he is out of position to make a play on the ball or receiver. Someone needs to coach this kid on how to NOT turn the wrong direction when he expects WR to take off and run.. he is constantly getting burned on curl and crossing patterns.

6. The offensive line got better as the season went on... but they are 1 good OLman away from being GOOD. Jonas will leave... so we need to pick up a solid Left Guard this offseason, and hope that Price can handle Left Tackle.

7. Eric Moulds... Catch the Damn Ball! Next season is your last year in a Bills Uniform. Make it count!

8. Josh Reed... start packing your bags now.... you ARE the weakest link!

9. Henry will be traded... if for nothing more than to avoid a controversy. I am satisfied with our RB situation if he leaves.

10. If we get 1 more delay of game after a time-out, end of quarter, half time, or TV Time out... someone should be fired!

I am sure I will think of more, but this should get you all started!

mybills
01-04-2005, 09:17 AM
Your comment about Mooreman is what MM said (pre-game) he was afraid of happening. That they'd all try too hard to be perfect. My question is what was his half time speach??? Didn't he address that??? :mad:

Bill Brasky
01-04-2005, 09:25 AM
5. I think everyone on this board is so enamored by Terrance McGee's Kick Off Return ability, that they let him slide in pass coverage. He has been our liability the whole season back there. Sure, for a while, we didnt have a choice... but IMO, he should NOT start next year, unless he shows vast improvement. He has all of the physical tools, and is definately a ball hawk... but for every great play he makes... he makes a boneheaded play where he is out of position to make a play on the ball or receiver. Someone needs to coach this kid on how to NOT turn the wrong direction when he expects WR to take off and run.. he is constantly getting burned on curl and crossing patterns.

I think many of us have been barking up this tree all season. This guy is a major concern in our secondary.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-04-2005, 09:43 AM
I just think collectively the Bills thought it was an easy game, especially for the coaches. Mularkey and Co. know the Steelers personnel, and know their offensive playbook, for the most part. All the expert thought the Bills had the inside track of what the Steelers are about.

What they mis-judged is how tough the Steelers were - only those played them this season could tell you that. Let's face it, the Steelers did not beat the Bills with new offensive weapon or tricks. They beat the Bills with physical play and they know from the other 14 games this season that when you out-muscle your opponent for 3 quarters, you usually beat them in the 4th, which explains why the Bills could not stop even the backup to run off 9+ minutes in that fateful 4th quarter.

Mularkey won the HC job because he said the magic words of bringing "toughness" to the Bills to TD and he, to a degree, installed that to the 2004 Bills team. But they are nowhere near the level of NE and Pittsburgh. For one thing you need to have mentally tough guys, especially in the trenches, to do the job. The Bills, under GW, especially on offense, have been a finess team for the past 3 years and I don't expect to have that changed in one season.

Bill Brasky
01-04-2005, 09:49 AM
I just think collectively the Bills thought it was an easy game, especially for the coaches.

Players don't go into games thinking they will be easy (esp. vs a 14-1 opp), unless they're playing Arizona...

OpIv37
01-04-2005, 10:35 AM
I think many of us have been barking up this tree all season. This guy is a major concern in our secondary.

I had several posts ripping on McGee, but everyone just kept saying that he's "developing".

He has come a long way since the Jets game, but he's still the definite weak link in our otherwise stellar secondary.

Drive 4 Five
01-04-2005, 10:43 AM
Pride I agree with most everything you said. It is good to see people finally thinking things through again instead of just expressing raw emotion. However, I completely disgree with the comments regarding Terence McGee. C'mon guys, this is his first year as a starter and only his second year in the league. While he does make mistakes, as expected, he plays hard and usually comes back and makes better plays. How can you complain about this guy when it is his partner over on the other side (the veteran) who always seems to be costing us big time?

dannyek71
01-04-2005, 11:58 AM
TM also made some near very nice plays. (Those 2 near picks in the endzone come to mind)

He is essentially a rookie at the posistion, give him another year and then we'll see what he can do

Ebenezer
01-04-2005, 12:01 PM
TM also made some near very nice plays. (Those 2 near picks in the endzone come to mind)

He is essentially a rookie at the posistion, give him another year and then we'll see what he can do
There was a lot of good...a lot of bad...he has to progress next year.

Mr. Miyagi
01-04-2005, 12:09 PM
Mularkey won the HC job because he said the magic words of bringing "toughness" to the Bills to TD and he, to a degree, installed that to the 2004 Bills team. But they are nowhere near the level of NE and Pittsburgh.
New England is by absolutely no means a "tough" team on offense, even with Corey Dillon. They're a short passes finese team with an occasional deep play and run play.

don137
01-04-2005, 12:11 PM
I hear ya Pride...I think Randy Cross said on TV that the Bills led the league in delay of game penalities. I am not sure if the plays are not getting to Bledsoe in time or if Bledsoe is not a good field general or both but their are no excuses for delay of game penalties especially after a tv timeout, timeout or end of quarter (the only exception deliberate delay of game is 4th down to help Mooreman).

Jan Reimers
01-04-2005, 12:33 PM
Pride, my only problem is using another number 2 pick on a DE. Look what that's done for us so far. . .

ghz in pittsburgh
01-04-2005, 12:37 PM
Wrong, Mr. MiYagi. Thw word around the league is that you would really hurt physically and the Steelers said the same thing: the NE game was the most physical they played this season and they were glad that game was in Pittsburgh. Being physical doesn't mean on running plays. It could mean passing to the middle and do some banging while holding onto the ball.

HAMMER
01-04-2005, 03:04 PM
New England is by absolutely no means a "tough" team on offense, even with Corey Dillon. They're a short passes finese team with an occasional deep play and run play.

Paleeeeze, they are the toughest team in football, offense and defense. Dillon runs very hard and they have pounded the ball a lot this year. The only reason they lost to Pittsburgh was Dillon being out, and Law getting hurt early in the game.

People need to stop hating like this publicly, it only makes them look silly.

DraftBoy
01-04-2005, 04:37 PM

McGee has alot of maturing to do at his posistion. Like you said he has alot of "near" plays but the fact of the matter is that he doesnt make the plays and for the ones that he does make on ST and in D, he has ones where he looks horrid. To be frank they far outnumber the good ones. He is a 2nd year player but dont gimme this crap about him being a rookie at his posistion he has played CB for 3-4 years now, he was our nickle back all of last season and played well, he is just not ready to be a starter yet. He needs to progress and still has a long way to go. Pride hit it right on the head.

finsrclowns
01-04-2005, 04:39 PM
These can be applied to this single game, or to the entire season... but are all things I would like to discuss.

1. Mularky came into this season... with what I thought was an open mind to putting our players in the best situations to excel. In weeks 1-4 you could see him trying to allow this to happen... believing that it would work. Later in the season, you could see that in fact, it was working. So explain to me why, in week 17... you go against everything you have been preaching all season about putting your players in successful situations, and make your QB who is better at the long ball, and terrible at the short range stuff... play outside of his natural game? Save for the last drive... not 1 pass was thrown over 25 yards. Everyone in the stadium knew that Drew had to throw the ball deep at least once per quarter!
Mularky needs to re-evaluate, and if DB does in fact come back, there should be a conscious effort to be made to throwing the ball deep at least once per quarter (unless we are protecting a lead).

They tried to throw long several other times but either the play wasn't open or Drew got sacked. Pitt does a good job rushing the passer and they use the safety and corner blitzes well. In their game against NE, a corner blitz similar to the one that caused the big fumble was executed on Tom Brady and he fumbled also. NE's line was banged up for that game which made it closer to our line's level and it just wasn't good enough to win (to be fair, they also had Dillon out). The OL improved a lot as the year went on but it's not yet close to championship caliber. If the line improves the QB will have time to throw more long passes.

2. Sunday, I felt that I was watching play calls similar to Gilbride's era in Buffalo. There were several situations where it was a 3rd and 1 or 2 and we passed the ball. If you line up on 3rd and 1... and run... and still dont make it, noone will question your play calling, as you have the greatest chances for success doing that. But to line up in a 3 wide formation, and throw the ball on 3rd and 1... it just doesnt make sense to me! You are, in essence, outcoaching yourself!

I can't agree with you here because it didn't happen. We didn't have a third and short until our 6th possession. In that drive McGahee ran and was stopped for a loss on 3rd and 1. We did pass on 3rd and 1 on our 7th possession, but we had to because it was the end of the half and the clock was running out. The only other third and shorts for the game were on our best drive of the game we passed on 3rd and 1 from their 12. The pass was complete but called back for OPI. The other was the ill fated pitch play to Shaud Williams that looked like a broken play to me.

3. What happened to the special teams Sunday? The kicking was HORRIBLE, by both kickers. Lindell needs to go. There have to be more than 30 kickers in the USA who can kick a ball over 45 yards consistently. Lindell hasnt had a touchback since I can remember... nor is he good for a long FG with the game on the line. Dump him.
I don't like him much either but I'd consider him barely adequate if he hadn't just cost us the season with his short miss. Misses do happen though. That one was just a really costly miss. I wouldn't be sad to see a better guy brought in.

On the otherhand, I believe Mooreman was trying to do too much, and possibly even out-think the weather. Rather than getting the ball up in the high swirling winds, he was trying to line drive it, which was only good for getting the oppenent to the 50. I think Pitt played most of the day on OUR side of the field.

Moorman kicked great in the 2nd half. I watched him warm up before the game and he was struggling with his punts. When he came out to warm up before the 2nd half he was booting rockets and it carried over to the 2nd half for him. But I've got ZERO complaints with that guy- he's entitled to have a rough half.

4. Our DE's suck... our #2 pick during the draft (if we dont pick up a #1) should be DE. No question. Maddox had all day to throw back there.... as did St. Pierre.

I think Kelsay really came on this year. I think he's going to be OK. Pitt is a tough matchup, they do a great job protecting the QB, it's a huge reason why they're 15-1. St. Pierre only attempted two passes and he was flushed out on one. We pressured Maddox at times, but again Pitt is that good at protecting. I would be quite surprised if we used an early pick on a DE.

McGee was asked to do more than the coaches planned for him this year. He's a talented kid coming from a small college. You've got to give him time to get it as a pro. I think he will be a good one

6. The offensive line got better as the season went on... but they are 1 good OLman away from being GOOD. Jonas will leave... so we need to pick up a solid Left Guard this offseason, and hope that Price can handle Left Tackle.

The OL has to be the top priority on the team. That doesn't necessarily mean top draft pick or huge FA signing but we need to upgrade the line. I'm not sure Price is the answer as a starting LT.

7. Eric Moulds... Catch the Damn Ball! Next season is your last year in a Bills Uniform. Make it count!
I think Moulds needs to move on. Not because he can't be an effective player but I get the feeling he's not happy here anymore and he's giving off a negative karma. I would not be adverse if the right player was available in rd 2 to look for his 2005 replacement in the draft.

He will not see the field much next year. I doubt they cut him but I see Aiken moving past him on the depth chart.

9. Henry will be traded... if for nothing more than to avoid a controversy. I am satisfied with our RB situation if he leaves.
Agree. A late 2nd early third might be used to draft the kicker Nugent from Ohio State. Now there's a leg!

10. If we get 1 more delay of game after a time-out, end of quarter, half time, or TV Time out... someone should be fired!
Rookie HC/rookie OC. They'll do better next year.

Nice post! :clap:

chernobylwraiths
01-04-2005, 05:03 PM
I hear ya Pride...I think Randy Cross said on TV that the Bills led the league in delay of game penalities. I am not sure if the plays are not getting to Bledsoe in time or if Bledsoe is not a good field general or both but their are no excuses for delay of game penalties especially after a tv timeout, timeout or end of quarter (the only exception deliberate delay of game is 4th down to help Mooreman).

I remember watching a couple of games where Bledsoe seemed to get to the line of scrimmage and there was no time left. Sunday, they got back from a commercial and Bledsoe got to the line and there was about 3 seconds left. I have seen a couple of times where Bledsoe looked at the clock, turned to the official with a look like WTF! I SWEAR there were a few times this year where they didn't reset the clock right.

Bill Brasky
01-04-2005, 05:09 PM
McGee has alot of maturing to do at his posistion. Like you said he has alot of "near" plays but the fact of the matter is that he doesnt make the plays and for the ones that he does make on ST and in D, he has ones where he looks horrid. To be frank they far outnumber the good ones. He is a 2nd year player but dont gimme this crap about him being a rookie at his posistion he has played CB for 3-4 years now, he was our nickle back all of last season and played well, he is just not ready to be a starter yet. He needs to progress and still has a long way to go. Pride hit it right on the head.

:clap:

ZacGriffi~82
01-04-2005, 05:13 PM

I don't think that was moorman at all. It was our new Long Snapper. Every punt in the first quarter moorman was picking it off the ground. Banta finally started to get it up and...boom!

BAM
01-04-2005, 05:31 PM
I don't think that was moorman at all. It was our new Long Snapper. Every punt in the first quarter moorman was picking it off the ground. Banta finally started to get it up and...boom!

I noticed a couple of those too.

Throne Logic
01-04-2005, 05:48 PM
My concern is in regards to he defenses inability to stop teams on 3rd and long.

DaBills
01-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Agree with most comments in there Pride. Good ranting.

bills_fan_atic—the comment about McGhee getting a pass because it's his first year starting is a head-scratcher. He's consistantly beaten. The only cred I can give him is that on blitzes, he does fill gaps and make some plays. And as we all have seen, his ST play is very good. But he's only seemed to make positive progress in ST, while his coverage is about the same as at the start of the season. Just watching him get out-jumped in the endzone Sunday, just how do you coach an additional 12" vertical leap?

It's not just him. Broken record here but, our secondary has been a weak link ALL year. Look at the number of 3rd down conversions we gave up. And where is the intimidation in the secondary? NE has no problem hitting guys after an incomplete. I thought Vincent was that kind of guy? Clements seems to be a go for the strip cover man than a Ronnie Lott.

I don't agree though that our DE's suck. I think they are consistant and steady, but just not the impact guys we need. They're like the Phil Hansen and Jeff Wright-type D-line guys that will give you the occasional big play, nothing more. We just need the Bruce Smith-type guy now. Get one, and Spikes becomes even more effective.

How about an impact Ronnie Lott-type for the secondary? If not, then Gray has to get those guys playing a more aggressive style of coverage. Laying off 5 yards without as much as a bump is not getting it done.

And I don't buy the excuse that the new rule this year preventing WRs from contact downfield caused this. I'm not saying hit them down field for a penalty. But against a timing O like NE's, you have to disrupt it at the line.

Mr. Cynical
01-04-2005, 08:09 PM
Pride, my only problem is using another number 2 pick on a DE. Look what that's done for us so far. . .
Agreed. TD has done a much better job on defense with FA acquisitions than on draft day.

Dozerdog
01-04-2005, 11:02 PM

I Agree with most of this- good-level headed assesment with some exceptions-

-DEs are average. They aren't as terrible as you think but a lot of teams have a lot worse. Room for improvement for sure.

-Jury out on if Jonas Jennings will stay or go. We won't overpay to keep him.

-Henry will only be dealt if we can get value for him. Trading for the sake of trading won't occur. Just as TD doesn't over-pay for folks he doesn't give talent away either. Unless we get a 2nd round or early 3rd round pick Henry stays put.