PDA

View Full Version : Can JP throw the deep ball?

OpIv37
01-04-2005, 12:06 PM
How is JP Losman's arm strength? (I'm not knocking him- just wondering if anyone knows). The reason I ask is because I'm concerned about being able to stretch the field enough to take advantage of Evans' speed and make big plays. Clearly Drew Bledsoe has struggled, but no one has ever questioned his ability to throw the deep ball- he proved he could still do it with those two late-season flea flickers. When Losman is the starter, he will add the mobility and hopefully playmaking ability that Bledsoe lacks- I just hope we don't have to sacrifice the deep ball for athleticism.

trapezeus
01-04-2005, 12:09 PM
I would guess being a top QB pick in the draft, he would have stronger than average arm strength. CAn he throw the ball 70-80 yards in the air, i have no idea, but i'm pretty sure he's gone through all the drills that would show decent armstrength. Otherwise he wouldn't have been scouted as the 4th QB taken. And he certainly wouldn't have been worth a 1st round draft pick that we traded to get him.

I'm thinking he can get the job done. Plus he can run, so the defense will have to spread out to cover him as well.

Ebenezer
01-04-2005, 12:10 PM
How is JP Losman's arm strength? (I'm not knocking him- just wondering if anyone knows). The reason I ask is because I'm concerned about being able to stretch the field enough to take advantage of Evans' speed and make big plays. Clearly Drew Bledsoe has struggled, but no one has ever questioned his ability to throw the deep ball- he proved he could still do it with those two late-season flea flickers. When Losman is the starter, he will add the mobility and hopefully playmaking ability that Bledsoe lacks- I just hope we don't have to sacrifice the deep ball for athleticism.
Right now the only we know about Losman is that he can put on his uniform and break his leg when "accidently" "slighty bumped into" by Troy Vincent.

Judging from his preseason play and the little time he was in a regular season game it is evident that he locks on receivers the second he leaves the huddle and that he is more than confident to pull down the ball and run when pressured.

Ebenezer
01-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Plus he can run, so the defense will have to spread out to cover him as well.

Mobile doesn't necessarily mean fast...what was his speed before/after the injury...I want him to have better pocket pressure and the ability to move if necessary; I don't need him to pull a Flutie and run 10 times or more a game...that is what we have WM for.

Earthquake Enyart
01-04-2005, 12:13 PM
JP hit the deep out in preseason and was impressive, in terms of arm strength. He's comparable to Drew, in that regard.

Armpalm Ali Musch
01-04-2005, 12:19 PM
In regards to his arm strength, he definately has some zip in his throws. If I had to compare him to a QB in the NFL as of right now, I would say he is a young Steve McNair as far as mobility and arm strength goes.

Jan Reimers
01-04-2005, 12:21 PM
He has a gun. And great mobility.

buffalofan19
01-04-2005, 12:22 PM
Right now the only we know about Losman is that he can put on his uniform and break his leg when "accidently" "slighty bumped into" by Troy Vincent.

Judging from his preseason play and the little time he was in a regular season game it is evident that he locks on receivers the second he leaves the huddle and that he is more than confident to pull down the ball and run when pressured.
He also tries to lower his head into defenders when running. That is a big fear I have with him. If he keeps that up, he won't last very long in this league (health-wise).

justasportsfan
01-04-2005, 12:25 PM
http://www.redeyesports.com/Losman.asp

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/47584.html

http://football.about.com/cs/playerprofiles/p/jplosman.htm

http://packers.scout.com/2/248080.html

I may be in the minority, but I believe Brett Favre will play for three more years. That being said, this is still the right pick. The team has some definite defensive needs, but Losman's upside and ability are too much to pass up. No QB in this draft resembles Favre more than Losman. He has a cannon for an arm, and he throws well on the run. Losman has already struck up a relationship with Favre, and he would be well served to learn from one of the all time greats. The lesson should last about three years.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/s_188307.html

Said Cowher: "I think he can sneak in there, yeah. I can see him rising."

Cowher was especially complimentary of Losman's toughness.

"Here's a guy who played behind what some people said was like a high school offensive line," he said. "It wasn't a great offensive line and this kid just kept coming back. He's a tough kid.

"He's really helped himself in this offseason with some of the workouts he's had. I think he's a kid who's climbing pretty fast. He has a great arm, he's a good athlete, a lot of upside."

How ironic :snicker:

OpIv37
01-04-2005, 12:33 PM
http://www.redeyesports.com/Losman.asp

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/47584.html

http://football.about.com/cs/playerprofiles/p/jplosman.htm

Thanks- good reads. That temporarily alleviates my fears- I still want to see him play, though.

Maybe a road trip back to Rochester in July....

ScottLawrence
01-04-2005, 12:35 PM

I'll take that over Drew any day. :dance:

justasportsfan
01-04-2005, 12:35 PM
Thanks- good reads. That temporarily alleviates my fears- I still want to see him play, though.

Maybe a road trip back to Rochester in July....I edited to add more. :D.

I agree , everything said about him has yet to be seen. However, he does have a lot of upside while Drew has only 1 (deep ball) to go w/ his salary.

ryjam282
01-04-2005, 01:58 PM
I edited to add more. :D.

I agree , everything said about him has yet to be seen. However, he does have a lot of upside while Drew has only 1 (deep ball) to go w/ his salary.

Remember in the preseason game against Denver when Losman fired that 15 yard out and they had Shanahan miked up and he "We got ourselves a quarterback here boys". Something to that effect. Losman has above average arm strength that is what I remember hearing during the combines. He will be fine in the winds in Buffalo.

justasportsfan
01-04-2005, 02:01 PM
Remember in the preseason game against Denver when Losman fired that 15 yard out and they had Shanahan miked up and he "We got ourselves a quarterback here boys". Something to that effect. Losman has above average arm strength that is what I remember hearing during the combines. He will be fine in the winds in Buffalo.what does SHanahan know about qb's? He had Griese and then Plummer who are...better...than...Drew..... Okay I'll shut up. :sadwalk:

ryjam282
01-04-2005, 02:09 PM
LOL, good point, and some Elway guy too....I guess if he said it about McGahee that would be better cause he knows him some RB's

Iehoshua
01-04-2005, 02:13 PM
Shanahan inherited Elway.

Griese is streaky at best, same for Plummer, until they prove otherwise. If you ask me to pick betweek Griese, Plummer, Bledsoe, or unproven Losman, give me Losman.

justasportsfan
01-04-2005, 02:15 PM
Plummer is Drew w/ wheels.

Iehoshua
01-04-2005, 02:17 PM
Plummer is Drew w/ wheels.
..and a beard.

Tatonka
01-04-2005, 02:45 PM
prior to the draft it was rumored that big ben and eli had the strongest arms.. but then jp losman worked out with eli and many scouts believed he was actually the strongest armed qb in the draft.. i didnt say best.. but strongest armed.

there are not alot of guys that throw harder than him, imho.. sure there are some.. but not many. he arm strength and mobility are both great.. it was his *attitude* that was a big knock on him and the level of competition at tulane.. if he played at usc he easily could have been a top pick.

DraftBoy
01-04-2005, 04:43 PM
Losman had arguably the best arm in the draft and the best ability to run and throw.

TigerJ
01-04-2005, 04:59 PM
I've heard concerning the QBs taken in the first round that Losman had a stronger arm than Manning or Rivers and was at least comparable to, if not stronger than Roethlisberger. Losman's negatives relate to a relative lack of preparation to be an NFL QB. Tulane did not have a pro style offence and had a very poor offensive line, which led to Losman developing bad habits in terms of footwork. He often doesn't plant well. He will throw flatfooted. He will sometimes take off and run too quickly. He came to Buffalo with a reputation for cockiness, but really showed none of that in training camp. He was confident, which a QB must be, but he showed a willingness, even an eagerness to learn from Drew and the coaching staff. He was friendly and accessible to fans.

I think the Bills coaching staff can help him fix the things he does wrong, and he will be a great QB

Mr. Cynical
01-04-2005, 07:44 PM
I'll take that over Drew any day. :dance:
Really? You mean you don't want a QB who locks on to his receivers, has no pocket awareness AND can't move? :snicker:

Much better to be a statue and get sacked then move around and make the play. What's wrong with you. :;

ScottLawrence
01-04-2005, 08:42 PM
Really? You mean you don't want a QB who locks on to his receivers, has no pocket awareness AND can't move? :snicker:

Much better to be a statue and get sacked then move around and make the play. What's wrong with you. :;
:winkpunch

Your right, what the hell am I thinking? :doh:

:funny:

Tatonka
01-05-2005, 12:22 AM
Losman had arguably the best arm in the draft and the best ability to run and throw.

I've heard concerning the QBs taken in the first round that Losman had a stronger arm than Manning or Rivers and was at least comparable to, if not stronger than Roethlisberger. Losman's negatives relate to a relative lack of preparation to be an NFL QB. Tulane did not have a pro style offence and had a very poor offensive line, which led to Losman developing bad habits in terms of footwork. He often doesn't plant well. He will throw flatfooted. He will sometimes take off and run too quickly. He came to Buffalo with a reputation for cockiness, but really showed none of that in training camp. He was confident, which a QB must be, but he showed a willingness, even an eagerness to learn from Drew and the coaching staff. He was friendly and accessible to fans.

I think the Bills coaching staff can help him fix the things he does wrong, and he will be a great QB

:up: to Draftboy and Tiger