PDA

View Full Version : Time to tell it!

Iehoshua
01-04-2005, 03:52 PM
Don't pick who you think it WILL be or who you think Donahoe and MM want. Pick who YOU think it SHOULD be!

Jan Reimers
01-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I want JP to win the job over Drew in a fair and competitive preseason battle for the starting spot.

The_Philster
01-04-2005, 04:06 PM
Right now, I'm leaning towards JP.
My hope, when we brought in JP, was that we'd bring him along slowly and have him the full-time starter in year 3. Drew's been too inconsistent the last couple of years.

EDS
01-04-2005, 04:21 PM
I want JP to win the job over Drew in a fair and competitive preseason battle for the starting spot.

Agreed. If Drew beats out JP then so be it.

lordofgun
01-04-2005, 04:34 PM
JP

OpIv37
01-04-2005, 04:41 PM

I also agree. While I think some fans are putting too much blame on Bledsoe, I have to admit that he's not getting the job done and blows big games. I'd like to see Losman start- I just hope he's ready. We can't afford another piss-poor start while Losman learns the ropes, but I think Bledsoe's had his shot.

That being said, I still want Bledsoe on the roster. We need an experienced QB on the roster and there aren't many available- I'd rather have him here in case JP gets injured (which he will if he keeps going head first at linebackers) or flat-out sucks. If Bledsoe ends up playing, at least he knows the system.

Jayhawk
01-04-2005, 04:45 PM
what Shane isn't an option? :lmao:

Jp

jamze132
01-04-2005, 04:53 PM

Drew should come out and say that the job is JP's. He should know that he can't get it done anymore and he is only delaying JP's progress. Everyone including Drew knows that we will not make the 18th game of the season with #11 at the helm. Quit drewing us!

THATHURMANATOR
01-04-2005, 04:57 PM
:clap:
The pics are great! I got to see Mush69 and what a sight for sore eyes! Holding my favorite beer!

I want JP but who knows if he will be ready or not.

BAM
01-04-2005, 05:04 PM
:scratch:

FTG
01-04-2005, 06:02 PM
I'll give you one guess who I want

chernobylwraiths
01-04-2005, 06:19 PM
Drew should come out and say that the job is JP's. He should know that he can't get it done anymore and he is only delaying JP's progress. Everyone including Drew knows that we will not make the 18th game of the season with #11 at the helm. Quit drewing us!

Yeah, right.

I would like JP to WIN the job next year. But he would have to look decent in preseason with the first unit in the second and third preseason game.

finsrclowns
01-04-2005, 06:25 PM
We won 8 of our last 10. Why replace the QB? :question:

FTG
01-04-2005, 06:28 PM

because he chokes in big games against good teams

justasportsfan
01-04-2005, 06:47 PM
I want JP but who knows if he will be ready or not.

"It's true, no one knows what to expect from Losman. But we've learned to expect the worst from Bledsoe in big games. "

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050104/1058884.asp

finsrclowns
01-04-2005, 06:54 PM
because he chokes in big games against good teams

I don't like that word "choke" much and I'm pretty careful about using it. It's a very harsh term. If your offensive team is better than the defensive team you're facing and the QB plays poorly, that might be a time. But often times in playoff or match ups with good teams the other guys were just better. Why is that so hard for people to see or admit? Our offensive football team made strides this year. It needs to get better. Personally I think a great OL makes the QB look good. If we upgrade the OL some in the offseason Bledsoe is good enough to win and I think he still has something left in the tank. We're not that far away- I don't really want to take a chance with a rookie QB but that's just my take.

Typ0
01-04-2005, 07:00 PM
"It's true, no one knows what to expect from Losman. But we've learned to expect the worst from Bledsoe in big games. "

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050104/1058884.asp

So true "The Bills had the second-ranked defense in the NFL and the league's best special teams. How good did the quarterback have to be for them to go 9-7?"

Go ahead and be the eternal optomist if you want too...I'm disgusted with the possibility of Drew even returning to compete with JP for the starters job...I'd rather see drew sent packing and have two second tier QBs in camp that have been dying for that opportunity. Drew was a fine stop-gap QB when we were rebuilding...now we're rebuilt and he needs to take a walk so someone who can get the job done is at the helm.

Jayhawk
01-04-2005, 07:03 PM
Drew Brees?

Iehoshua
01-04-2005, 07:09 PM
The Ravens won the Superbowl in 2000.

What position did they replace the following year? Not saying the choice was right or wrong, but they felt an upgrade was necessary.

Just as an example since you asked why...

Typ0
01-04-2005, 07:10 PM
The Ravens won the Superbowl in 2000.

What position did they replace the following year? Not saying the choice was right or wrong, but they felt an upgrade was necessary.

Just as an example since you asked why...

I hate to be the one to point this out to you...they sucked the following season :snicker:

Mr. Cynical
01-04-2005, 07:18 PM
Great sig amigo! I was going to find one to use as my avatar....we should each have an amigo. :mex:

Mr. Cynical
01-04-2005, 07:19 PM
Darth, shame on ya for not making this a public poll. We'll NEVER know who the 4 people are who voted for Drew. :;

Iehoshua
01-04-2005, 07:19 PM
I hate to be the one to point this out to you...they sucked the following season :snicker:

You think they sucked, though, because they didn't retain Trent Dilfer?

buffalofan19
01-04-2005, 07:25 PM
Between the two I'd say Bledsoe, because of experience. I think JP will struggle at least early and, at best case scenario, pick it up too late for the Bills to be a playoff contender.

The only way I do not want to see Bledsoe is if the Bills can pick up someone like Brees, but I don't think the Bills can afford to take the $4 million cap hit AND sign a good QB.

Playoffs or bust in 2005 is the way I look at it.

Typ0
01-04-2005, 07:29 PM
You think they sucked, though, because they didn't retain Trent Dilfer?

I didn't say that...I just said you didn't support your point by saying they changed from Dilfer after winning the SB because they got worse as a team.

Typ0
01-04-2005, 07:30 PM
Between the two I'd say Bledsoe, because of experience. I think JP will struggle at least early and, at best case scenario, pick it up too late for the Bills to be a playoff contender.

The only way I do not want to see Bledsoe is if the Bills can pick up someone like Brees, but I don't think the Bills can afford to take the $4 million cap hit AND sign a good QB.

Playoffs or bust in 2005 is the way I look at it.

If we can be better by taking the cap hit...then we should take it.

buffalofan19
01-04-2005, 08:08 PM
If we can be better by taking the cap hit...then we should take it.
But I'm not sure it is even numerically possible. If they the Bills did do this, they'd probably have to let both Pat Williams and Jonas Jennings walk, and they would also probably struggle to sign their draft picks.

Iehoshua
01-04-2005, 08:10 PM
I didn't say that...I just said you didn't support your point by saying they changed from Dilfer after winning the SB because they got worse as a team.

My point was simply that, despite winning a Superbowl, not everyone is safe in a position. I.E. just because we went 9-7 doesn't mean our QB should be safe.

ScottLawrence
01-04-2005, 08:46 PM
I don't like that word "choke" much and I'm pretty careful about using it. It's a very harsh term. If your offensive team is better than the defensive team you're facing and the QB plays poorly, that might be a time. But often times in playoff or match ups with good teams the other guys were just better. Why is that so hard for people to see or admit? Our offensive football team made strides this year. It needs to get better. Personally I think a great OL makes the QB look good. If we upgrade the OL some in the offseason Bledsoe is good enough to win and I think he still has something left in the tank. We're not that far away- I don't really want to take a chance with a rookie QB but that's just my take.

In other words.

When was the last time Bledsoe played GOOD against a good team, or in a big game?

Halbert
01-04-2005, 08:57 PM
There's no way Pittsburgh's backups are better than the Bills starters. No way.

That was a choke of tremendous magnitude. The biggest choke in Bills history, and one of the all time biggest chokes in pro sports.

Not only did Bledsoe not will his team to what should have been an easy victory with his leadership, he was terrible with his play.

Starting Losman is about a 90% chance you're conceeding a non-playoff year, so they'd have to bring in another decent vet for the season to contend. I just don't want to see Bledsoe behind center any more.

Dozerdog
01-04-2005, 11:11 PM
I want whomever wins the job in camp & preseason. Wheather that person is on the roster now or not.

If JP can't out-play Bledsoe in camp then he's not ready yet. If he can- then put him in.

Man - too bad Volek decided to stick it out behind McNair. He could have had a real shot at being an NFL starter full time by now if he decided to take the Bills a bit more seriously.

Mr. Cynical
01-04-2005, 11:27 PM
Wonder who those 5 people are who voted for Drew... :funny:

Darn you Darth! :tongue:

cordog
01-04-2005, 11:57 PM
Im gonna go with JP. Dont get me wrong, if Bledsoe was named the starter I wouldnt storm the streets, but lets face it. What i saw from Bledsoe on Sunday is what he has done in big games against good competitors time after time after time. While i dont think this is all his fault, he deserves his fair share. With our D and running game, we dont need fireworks from JP, just a consistent flame. Not hing spectacular but enough to keep you warm.

NapalmDeath
01-05-2005, 02:27 AM
I voted for Drew because I want playoffs.

If JP is the starter, and we fail to make the playoffs again, Is Cynical gonna bring back his "Time for a change Fire TD NOW" Sig?

IMO, which I know is not gonna be liked, Wanna make the playoffs or better? Start Drew. Wanna fail to make the playoffs or better? Start JP.

Funny thing, Elway made it to the SB and won. (NO I AM NOT COMPARING ELWAY TO DREW SO STOP LICKING YOUR CHOPS AMIGOS) Took him some time and critisism (Spelling) but once he had his supporting cast he did it.

Next season starts every team is 0 - 0.

FTG
01-05-2005, 07:29 AM
Funny thing, Elway made it to the SB and won. (NO I AM NOT COMPARING ELWAY TO DREW SO STOP LICKING YOUR CHOPS AMIGOS) .

Good.........................because there is no comparison :mex:

justasportsfan
01-05-2005, 07:39 AM
Starting Losman is about a 90% chance you're conceeding a non-playoff year,
we don't know that just like Pitts didn't know that w/ Ben. What we know is that we're at least going to make .500 w/ Drew since half of the teams are weak. 10-6 in the AFC is already going to be tough to make playoffs. We haven't made 10-6.

jamze132
01-05-2005, 10:00 AM
Yeah, right.

I would like JP to WIN the job next year. But he would have to look decent in preseason with the first unit in the second and third preseason game.

So you would rather see a competition for the starting QB? Are you serious? JP needs all the reps he can get and not split them with an old guy who we know for sure isn't starting for us in 06'. If JP doesn't start until then, it is a setback, especially if we do sneak into the playoffs next year. And who says that starting JP in 05' will ensure we miss the playoffs?

TedMock
01-05-2005, 10:19 AM
I'm seriously torn. Call me a lover, a hater, a supporter, or whatever other immature labeling you want, but I'll back whoever's there. I'll definitely call out the mistakes, but I'll never put all the blame on one guy either. It's impossible to do in a football game. I'm nervous about both QB's, to be perfectly honest.

First of all, although Drew had become more confident this year, and definitely moved around much better, but his bad games are real bad. He didn't put up stellar numbers, but they weren't bad either. He took fewer sacks, and played average to above average in most of the games; probably 12 of them. However, there were 4 bad games (3 real bad) that scare the heck out of me. 16 picks for the year isn't too bad, but 10 came in 3 games! 4, 3, 3. There's also the issue of him being fooled by certain blitz schemes that scare me. He didn't see that last sack coming, and he didn't have any time on that play, but it was still his fault. He never saw the unbalanced front 7, so he never noticed that he didn't have enough blockers on his right side. As a veteran, he MUST recognize that and adjust.

Losman? Who the heck knows? He's got a strong arm, and he's athletic. He's also not the brightest guy in the world while on the field. Go look at some his games at Tulane for proof of that. In his defense, the o-line there was horrible. He's essentially a rookie next season, thanks to a broken leg this year. There will no doubt be growing pains, and if he's facing aggressive defenses, things could get painful for all of us.

In either case, we need to improve the interior o-line. Villarial played well this season, but his injuries scare me. We're still lacking a left guard, and we need backup lineman more than most other teams. I'd like to see us follow the Pittsburgh blue print, which we've started to, but we need to continue the improvement before we lose this defense.

mybills
01-05-2005, 10:26 AM
There has to be a reason for drafting JP. I'm sure it wasn't because he sucks like Drew. I say start JP.

TedMock
01-05-2005, 10:55 AM
Losman's still a raw talent, who's impressionable regardless of his cockiness. This is a definite positive. Whether you like Bledsoe or not, you have to admit two things: 1. He's an old dog who's reluctant to learn new tricks, and 2. He did indeed learn new tricks this year. #2 is a testament to the coaching staff. My point is that JP's not possibly ready yet, but with this coaching staff, and him being young enough to learn, we may have a winner. The reasons I don't believe he's ready are that he was injured 3/4 of the season, so he missed valuable time. Film and study will only take you so far. Playing time is what really counts. He also played in a non-BCS conference against weaker competition. I don't know if I'd even say that he competed against better schools than Rothlisberger at Miami (OH). Anyway, we need to coddle him if we're going to start him, and we need to start some serious one-on-one coaching with him asap. Wyche, Mularky, and Clements, really need to spend as much time as possible getting him ready, starting now. I still say bolster the interior o-line, and things will be much better. Here's his school draft bio/stat page...... http://www.collegesports.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/tul/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/losman-draft-bio