PDA

View Full Version : • Read it and weep...or cheer.•

DaBills
01-04-2005, 04:04 PM
"ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) - Sub-par numbers aside, quarterback Drew Bledsoe is confident he's earned the right to remain the Buffalo Bills' starter heading into next season.

"It's my team," Bledsoe said this week after the Bills missed the playoffs for the fifth consecutive year despite a strong finish.

The Bills - from coach Mike Mularkey to team owner Ralph Wilson - agree with Bledsoe. "

http://sports.excite.com/news/01042005/v9950.html

:shocked:

Jayhawk
01-04-2005, 04:09 PM
damn :curse:

Iehoshua
01-04-2005, 04:12 PM
If he's the starter, then so be it.

I will be (pleasantly) shocked, however, if we find any further success with Drew starting. I was pleasantly surprised this year, although I think most of it had litte to nothing to do with Bledsoe.

In my mind, I'll be expecting another let-down season. I guess 3 times isn't a charm. Buffalo likes doing things in fours.
:rofl:

Commissioner
01-04-2005, 04:13 PM
So basically we will have another repeat season....

Jan Reimers
01-04-2005, 04:24 PM
I think calling Drew the starter next year is the politically correct thing to do at this point. I also think that JP Losman will get a fair opportunity in preseason to win the job. Everyone is well aware of Drew's strengths and weaknesses.

TigerJ
01-04-2005, 04:44 PM
I'm certainly ready for a change at the QB position, but I actually think that Buffalo would win more games next season with Drew as QB than with JP. I also think the Bills stand a very good chance of making the playoffs next year with Drew as QB. I can easily see them winning 11 or 12 games. They weren't that far away from doing so this year. The question is can Drew AND the rest of the team make the transition from a team that knows how to dominate their lesser opponents to a team that can compete with and defeat the Patriots and Steelers of the league. I think as much as anything it is a matter of the Bills getting intimidated by the elite of the league. Drew lets old habits come back to life and forgets the things he was doing successfully during the 6 game win streak. I just don't know that he can make that final leap at this point in his career. If he can't, then while the Bills may make the playoffs, obviously they will eventually run into a team that will make him regress again and he will never take the Bills to a Super Bowl. Everyone has opinions. The trouble is know one can know for sure.

OpIv37
01-04-2005, 04:46 PM
I think calling Drew the starter next year is the politically correct thing to do at this point. I also think that JP Losman will get a fair opportunity in preseason to win the job. Everyone is well aware of Drew's strengths and weaknesses.

Jan- you and I definitely agree on this whole Bledsoe situation.

Saying Bledsoe's not the starter now would destroy his confidence. Also, don't forget that he had several very good games before the Pitt game- that makes it more difficult for the coaches to bench him. It was a very disappointing loss, and the coaches know better than to go after a player in the immediate aftermath.

JP has nine months, several mini-camps, training camp and pre-season to prove himself. The coaches can say what they want now, but they'll make their decision the first week of September.

ScottLawrence
01-04-2005, 05:05 PM
NO where in the article does it say he is the starter.

DaBills
01-04-2005, 05:33 PM
"NO where in the article does it say he is the starter."

Where Ralph and MM agree that it's 'his team.' You don't think that says he's the starter? Dude, I may want JP, but even I'm not that delusional to think Drew isn't the starter after getting Ralph's blessing in that statement.

Philagape
01-04-2005, 05:34 PM
It doesn't matter what anyone says now. Let's see who gets the practice reps in the week before the season opener.

Drive 4 Five
01-04-2005, 05:36 PM
I don't know fellas, Bledsoe makes way too much money for the mediocre play he has given us. If he is our starting quarterback next season I will stop watching this team altogether. Seriously. I am not going to blow another $150 on the sunday ticket to see this guy lead us into ruin. Do I like Bledsoe? Yes. Have I been a supporter or lover or whatever the hell you guys call it? I have. But no more. I no longer have faith in this team with that guy as our quarterback. Screw that. I can find better things to do with my time. It makes me so mad to think that we are so close. I feel that if we had someone like Favre at the helm, we would be headed to the Superbowl.

You cannot blame it all on Drew that is true, but to anyone who thinks this guy can lead us to a championship, well screw you...

Did that rhyme? I'm kidding of course. Don't chew my head off now. I was just trying to be silly.

ScottLawrence
01-04-2005, 05:38 PM
"NO where in the article does it say he is the starter."

Where Ralph and MM agree that it's 'his team.' You don't think that says he's the starter? Dude, I may want JP, but even I'm not that delusional to think Drew isn't the starter after getting Ralph's blessing in that statement.

I see no quote that says from Mike Mularkey:

"It is Drew's team"

The Bills - from coach Mike Mularkey to team owner Ralph Wilson - agree with Bledsoe.

"It wasn't all Drew," Wilson said, following Buffalo's season-ending loss Sunday to Pittsburgh, when Bledsoe struggled.

Mularkey shrugged off questions of Bledsoe's so-so passing numbers, saying the only figure that counted was the nine games his quarterback helped win this season.

"It's do you win or lose? That's the stat that comes out most," Mularkey said. "I don't know what the rest has to do with performance to be honest with you."

The Writter seems to think so as you can see but, I don't and I don't think Mularkey is so sure what to do just yet.

BAM
01-04-2005, 05:38 PM
If he is our starting quarterback next season I will stop watching this team altogether.

:bigwave: Cya

FTG
01-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Wilson saying it's not all Drews fault means he said it's Drews team next year :scratch: This writer is just drawing his own conclusions.

Does not jive with what TD said on BB.com or What MM said in an interview I saw on TV yesterday. They said nothing about next year.........only said that every posistion will be evaluated in the offseason

FTG
01-04-2005, 05:54 PM

"It is Drew's team"

The Writter seems to think so as you can see but, I don't and I don't think Mularkey is so sure what to do just yet.

:up: The writer just draws his own conclusions. Maybe Drew will be back next year and maybe he won't. TD or MM have said nothing either way that I have heard.

ScottLawrence
01-04-2005, 06:00 PM
:up: The writer just draws his own conclusions. Maybe Drew will be back next year and maybe he won't. TD or MM have said nothing either way that I have heard.

Exactly.

If he does come back the very least I want is open competetion in camp.....Because, I think even Shane Matthews could steal the job from Drew if the evaluation is fair. :funny:

buffalofan19
01-04-2005, 06:56 PM
I can't remember whether it was on this site or bb.com, but I predicted that Drew Bledsoe will stay on as the starting QB in 2005, and I hold to it, regardless of what this article says. This is not necessarily what I think SHOULD happen, but, judging by Tom Donahoe, his past, etc. and the fact that the Bills did finish with a winning record (like Mularkey said, it's the fact that the Bills won 9 games that matters to him), that is the move that management is going to make.

That being said, if this is indeed the course the Bills follow, they need to bolster up the o-line big time. It is the only way he can be really successful on this team.

DaBills
01-04-2005, 07:18 PM

""It's my team," Bledsoe said...

..."The Bills - from coach Mike Mularkey to team owner Ralph Wilson - agree with Bledsoe. "

Believe me, I don't want it to be true, but that seems pretty clear.

Besides, when owners or coaches talk about players that may or may not be back with a given team, they usually don't offer an implied endorsement like that. Instead, they tend to put off the question.

Mr. Cynical
01-04-2005, 07:22 PM
"ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) - Sub-par numbers aside, quarterback Drew Bledsoe is confident he's earned the right to remain the Buffalo Bills' starter heading into next season.

"It's my team," Bledsoe said this week after the Bills missed the playoffs for the fifth consecutive year despite a strong finish.

The Bills - from coach Mike Mularkey to team owner Ralph Wilson - agree with Bledsoe. "

Worst. News. Ever.

Hope the DLC likes another non-playoff year. They got what they wanted.

ScottLawrence
01-04-2005, 08:20 PM
..."The Bills - from coach Mike Mularkey to team owner Ralph Wilson - agree with Bledsoe. "

That was a quote from the ARTICLE/The Writter....His oponion in other words.

I did not see a quote from the Article that says....."Drew is right, it is his team in 2005" from Mike Mularkey.

In fact, this article counters that one.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050104/SPORTS03/501040336/1007/SPORTS

Do they stick with Bledsoe, who did not play well in the biggest game of the year Sunday against Pittsburgh and has a 23-25 record during his three years in Buffalo, or do they follow the recent precedent set by a number of teams and go with the young guy, Losman?

"Everybody's job will be evaluated here, at every position, but that's too soon to even talk about," Mularkey said of Bledsoe's status.

It depends on what writter you read from, IMO.

DaBills
01-04-2005, 08:49 PM
That was a quote from the ARTICLE/The Writter....His oponion in other words.

I did not see a quote from the Article that says....."Drew is right, it is his team in 2005" from Mike Mularkey.

In fact, this article counters that one.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050104/SPORTS03/501040336/1007/SPORTS

It depends on what writter you read from, IMO.

I don't think the tone of the article really does. I read that earlier today. That article seems to talk more about the team as whole, and appears he's pulling quotes from different times. Looks like the reporter's opinion in that one comes through as much as any quote does.

ScottLawrence
01-04-2005, 08:51 PM
I don't think the tone of the article really does. I read that earlier today. That article seems to talk more about the team as whole, and appears he's pulling quotes from different times. Looks like the reporter's opinion in that one comes through as much as any quote does.

Whatever. :bighug:

I'll go into depression when I read or hear the direct quote from Mularkey that says "Drew Bledsoe will be our starter in 2005"....For now, im good.

Forward_Lateral
01-04-2005, 08:55 PM
:bigwave: Cya

I agree, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

DaBills
01-04-2005, 08:56 PM
direct quote from Mularkey that says "Drew Bledsoe will be our starter in 2005"

SEE! SEE! You just confirmed it!

(joke)

:clap:

Dozerdog
01-04-2005, 09:13 PM
I think the coaching staff will put the QB that will give the team the best chance to win on the field.

What incentive is there to put the lesser of the two on the field? Both will be on the roster no matter who starts- so there won't be a cap issue.

Mr. Cynical
01-04-2005, 09:23 PM
Both will be on the roster no matter who starts- so there won't be a cap issue.
Maybe not a cap issue, but a controversy issue most definitely IMO. There is too much baggage with Drew at this point. Better to get rid of him if they are serious about JP and get another...cheaper....vet to back him up.

Typ0
01-04-2005, 09:39 PM
I think the coaching staff will put the QB that will give the team the best chance to win on the field.

What incentive is there to put the lesser of the two on the field? Both will be on the roster no matter who starts- so there won't be a cap issue.

considering we never know which drew is going to show up I think it stinks if he's the best chance we have to win. Drew can be decent and he can play well...but he also can stink and he stinks more and more often the older he gets. If we start JP he will have some growing pains...if he's working hard and seems ready to go...we'd be lucky if we could get to 5-5 when he was more seasoned for games and then more prepared to go after a playoff berth. I feel like if we start DB we'll have to chalk up at least 3 games because he beats us and live through another six or seven he just exists and doesn't do anything too drastically bad to beat us. I think this is how DBs career has gone for the last seven or eight years. I don't like it. I'm not going to praise him to glory just because he is a Bill.

Typ0
01-04-2005, 09:40 PM
Maybe not a cap issue, but a controversy issue most definitely IMO. There is too much baggage with Drew at this point. Better to get rid of him if they are serious about JP and get another...cheaper....vet to back him up.

I say get two cheaper vets and let them compete with JP for the job. There are guys out there that are dying for the chance to start and they might just have the game experience and be at the right time to have an outstanding season. I don't think it's wise to just go with JP dozer is right we have to go with the best chance for us to win on the field...but again...if that best chance is DB that stinks.

Dozerdog
01-04-2005, 10:12 PM
Seriously-

Why is it a "controversy"?

Has JP made noise about demanding to start? Has Bledsoe have a history of being a disruptive force when he is a backup? If anything - history says the opposite is true.

Where do you get this stuff? Do you have any substance to back that up?

buffalofan19
01-04-2005, 10:15 PM
Seriously-

Has JP made noise about demanding to start? Has Bledsoe have a history of being a disruptive force when he is a backup? If anything - history says the opposite is true.

Where do you get this stuff? Do you have any substance to back that up?
There is a good point. The only "controversy" that would erupt would be among the message boards and Local Sports talk shows. Neither of which the players, coaches, or management give two $#!ts about or listen to.

paladin warrior
01-04-2005, 10:46 PM

:shocked: Because HE want to play again Because He is cry baby He want play real bad and Because of Him ( JP Losman's)DREW think JP are play better than DREW

buffalofan19
01-04-2005, 10:51 PM
Because HE want to play again Because He is cry baby He want play real bad and Because of Him ( JP Losman's)DREW think JP are play better than DREW
Learn to speak/write English then come talk to me.:snooze:

Mr. Cynical
01-04-2005, 10:56 PM
considering we never know which drew is going to show up I think it stinks if he's the best chance we have to win. Drew can be decent and he can play well...but he also can stink and he stinks more and more often the older he gets. If we start JP he will have some growing pains...if he's working hard and seems ready to go...we'd be lucky if we could get to 5-5 when he was more seasoned for games and then more prepared to go after a playoff berth. I feel like if we start DB we'll have to chalk up at least 3 games because he beats us and live through another six or seven he just exists and doesn't do anything too drastically bad to beat us. I think this is how DBs career has gone for the last seven or eight years. I don't like it. I'm not going to praise him to glory just because he is a Bill.
:bf1:

Mr. Cynical
01-04-2005, 11:08 PM
Seriously-

Where do you get this stuff? Do you have any substance to back that up?Seriously -

If you think Drew was happy riding the pine behind Brady you also have to be kidding. It was a mid-season role reversal due to a potentially fatal injury and I'm sure he was just happy to be ALIVE let alone play football. This is an entirely different situation. Apples to oranges. He is healthy and it is the offseason now. He (in his mind) has options...either he starts for Buffalo or he starts somewhere else. He even said "it is MY team", so he has NO desire to be a backup.

That substance enough for you?

cordog
01-04-2005, 11:15 PM
Worst. News. Ever.

Hope the DLC likes another non-playoff year. They got what they wanted.

Whatever dude, there is no DLC. "supposed members of the DLC" such as myself and The Philster have come out and said that we dont think Drew should come back. As much as you want a DLC to exist, it doesnt.

Mr. Cynical
01-04-2005, 11:19 PM
Whatever dude, there is no DLC. "supposed members of the DLC" such as myself and The Philster have come out and said that we dont think Drew should come back. As much as you want a DLC to exist, it doesnt.
I didn't say you were part of it. I know you didn't renew your membership, so take it easy. :peace:

However there are still a few members...5 to be exact judging by Darth's poll. :D

Dozerdog
01-04-2005, 11:22 PM
Seriously -

If you think Drew was happy riding the pine behind Brady you also have to be kidding. It was a mid-season role reversal due to a potentially fatal injury and I'm sure he was just happy to be ALIVE let alone play football. This is an entirely different situation. Apples to oranges. He is healthy and it is the offseason now. He (in his mind) has options...either he starts for Buffalo or he starts somewhere else. He even said "it is MY team", so he has NO desire to be a backup.

That substance enough for you?

Complete conjecture on your part.

Zero substance.

During the 2001 season, Bledsoe wasn't happy with Belichick's handling of the injury situation. Belichick at first said Bledsoe would be given an opportunity to compete to get his job back but then reversed himself and gave the job to Brady outright. Bledsoe wasn't happy about it but was more than a model citizen on the bench and in the locker room. It's well documented if you care to look.

He said all the right things in the press, devoted his efforts to helping Brady in every and any way he could, and did everything right to make sure he would not be a locker room distraction. The complete opposite of the jackass Terry Glenn, who did everything to be a cancer on the tream (and was the only Pat to play that season and not get voted a share or get a ring)

The only ones who think's it's a controversy right now is a few fickle fans.

Mr. Cynical
01-04-2005, 11:26 PM

Zero substance.

During the 2001 season, Bledsoe wasn't happy with Belichick's handling of the injury situation. Belichick at first said Bledsoe would be given an opportunity to compete to get his job back but then reversed himself and gave the job to Brady outright. Bledsoe wasn't happy about it but was more than a model citizen on the bench and in the locker room. It's well documented if you care to look.

He said all the right things in the press, devoted his efforts to helping Brady in every and any way he could, and did everything right to make sure he would not be a locker room distraction. The complete opposite of the jackass Terry Glenn, who did everything to be a cancer on the tream (and was the only Pat to play that season and not get voted a share or get a ring)

The only ones who think's it's a controversy right now is a few fickle fans.Nothing you just said contradicts what I said. All your points still happend MID SEASON and were the result of an INJURY. He is a class act and is not going to disrupt the team DURING the season. Last time I checked the season is OVER now, so he has the ability to make a decision without hurting the team.

Apples to oranges.

Typ0
01-04-2005, 11:31 PM

Zero substance.

The only ones who think's it's a controversy right now is a few fickle fans.

Good post Dozer. Drew deserves a lot of credit for the way he handled that situation. He deserves the ring he got there and nothing should detract from that. I would expect he would like to play in the game and get a chance for a win to redeem his loss--and the Bills are a good team to have that shot on going into next season. I'm just not sure it's worth the whole team just so he can have a shot, especially if we can do better. There are a lot of forces at work here...and I like Drew for a lot of good reasons but his performance on the field has been very suspect. I hate to be rude to the guy...but this is the message board and that's what professional athletes sign up for.

Typ0
01-04-2005, 11:32 PM
by the way....dozer and cynical...you guys are hillarious.

Dozerdog
01-04-2005, 11:32 PM
So Drew has a history as a backup- and he was very supportive in that role.

Yet you insist that he will be at the heart of a controversy and a distraction the second time around.

Apples and Apples

Let's wait and see how it unfolds before we all hyperventalate.

Dozerdog
01-04-2005, 11:34 PM
And he’s got this going for him, too: Both Brady, a sixth-round pick two years ago, and Bledsoe, whose 10-year, $103 million deal before this season cemented his reputation as a franchise quarterback, have been as cooperative as two men with hyper-competitive egos can be.

When Bledsoe was KO’d trying to get out of bounds in the Patriots’ second game, Brady stepped into the No. 1 role.

He was just hitting his stride when doctors cleared Bledsoe to rejoin a club that was 5-5. Belichick took a chance by announcing he was sticking with the youngster, and the Patriots have gone 8-0 since.

"It wasn’t Tom’s fault they chose to go with him the rest of the year," Milloy said. "The way Drew handled the situation all year is the reason we were able to do the things we’re doing. He wasn’t a distraction, and I think you guys saw us rally behind him because he helped us out throughout his ordeal."

http://archive.showmenews.com/2002/Jan/20020128Spor011.asp

cordog
01-04-2005, 11:50 PM
I didn't say you were part of it. I know you didn't renew your membership, so take it easy. :peace:

However there are still a few members...5 to be exact judging by Darth's poll. :D

LOL are these exit polls?

Mr. Cynical
01-04-2005, 11:55 PM
So Drew has a history as a backup- and he was very supportive in that role.

Yet you insist that he will be at the heart of a controversy and a distraction the second time around.

Apples and Apples

Let's wait and see how it unfolds before we all hyperventalate.Thing is, you say he has a "history" as a supportive backup. But like I said, it was a unique situation that happened during one season. And I already gave him credit for the way he handled that situation. I have never critcized his class. You know that's true if you read my posts from day 1.

What I'm saying is this situation is entirely different. He is healthy. There's no injury forcing a role reversal. It's not mid season. He also has a history here of losing after being annointed the savior with a huge parade. There is baggage. Whether or not he personally creates the controversy, nothing short of him starting and winning and leading the team deep into the playoffs will keep one from happening, especially when you have a #1 pick in his 2nd year on the bench.

He needs to go. The team and the fans deserve a clean start next year.

Earthquake Enyart
01-05-2005, 07:22 AM
Thing is, you say he has a "history" as a supportive backup. But like I said, it was a unique situation that happened during one season. And I already gave him credit for the way he handled that situation. I have never critcized his class. You know that's true if you read my posts from day 1.

What I'm saying is this situation is entirely different. He is healthy. There's no injury forcing a role reversal. It's not mid season. He also has a history here of losing after being annointed the savior with a huge parade. There is baggage. Whether or not he personally creates the controversy, nothing short of him starting and winning and leading the team deep into the playoffs will keep one from happening, especially when you have a #1 pick in his 2nd year on the bench.

He needs to go. The team and the fans deserve a clean start next year.
We can't cut off our nose to spite our face.

It would be a big mistake to jettison Drew just for the sake of getting rid of him to avoid some paranoid contrived controversy.

You have to look no farther than this year's Bears. Grossman was their guy. They went out and got a backup that was a career backup so there would be no QB controversy. Grossman goes down. Quinn is horrible. Then they have to play their 6th round rookie, Krenzel, who is mediocre at best, then he gets hurt. They get Hutchinson off the street, who also stinks, and even have to run out and get Jeff George for Pete's sake.

I'd take Drew on the bench before I go through all that nonsense.

don137
01-05-2005, 08:11 AM
Remember last year at this time they were saying Henry was the starter next year and look how that panned out...I'm not too worried about what is said now....