PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else feel like we're completely screwed?

OpIv37
01-05-2005, 07:48 AM
I'm not an "amigo" but like FTG said in another thread, if Drew's the starter next year, the most likely scenario is we sneak into the playoffs and lose a wild card game. Or best case scenario we win the wild card and lose in the divisional round.

If Losman's the starter, it will take him at least a few games to adjust, if not the whole season, so I don't know if the playoffs are a real possibility. This has to happen sooner or later because right now JP is the future of the team, but how do we develop him without completely ruining our playoff chances?

Also, if Bledsoe is the starter to give us the best shot at the playoffs, it delays JP's development until 06 and by that time age and free agency will have destroyed our defense and the dreaded "R" word could be back...

Pride
01-05-2005, 07:56 AM
If JP were named the starter right now... he would get max reps in practices... and start building his confidence. If he plays in all 4 preseason games.. he should be good enough to come in week 1 and perform at, at LEAST a medium ability, which is all we can expect from Drew.

I do not like the idea of having JP win it in camp while taking less snaps. The kid is raw and needs every snap he can get! Drew is not going to get any better... so why waste reps on him?

FTG
01-05-2005, 07:57 AM
Thats why we should have cut the chord last offseason.

justasportsfan
01-05-2005, 07:58 AM
I'm not an "amigo" but like FTG said in another thread, if Drew's the starter next year, the most likely scenario is we sneak into the playoffs and lose a wild card game. Or best case scenario we win the wild card and lose in the divisional round.

If Losman's the starter, it will take him at least a few games to adjust, if not the whole season, so I don't know if the playoffs are a real possibility. This has to happen sooner or later because right now JP is the future of the team, but how do we develop him without completely ruining our playoff chances?

Also, if Bledsoe is the starter to give us the best shot at the playoffs, it delays JP's development until 06 and by that time age and free agency will have destroyed our defense and the dreaded "R" word could be back...It all looks good right now but don't get too comfortable. We will lose a few key players to FA'cy. Moulds may not restructure and all of a sudden our passing game could be screwed. Drew will lose his security blanket.

Pat, Jonnas could be gone as well.

FTG
01-05-2005, 07:59 AM
If JP were named the starter right now... he would get max reps in practices... and start building his confidence. If he plays in all 4 preseason games.. he should be good enough to come in week 1 and perform at, at LEAST a medium ability, which is all we can expect from Drew.

I do not like the idea of having JP win it in camp while taking less snaps. The kid is raw and needs every snap he can get! Drew is not going to get any better... so why waste reps on him?

Great Post :up: An none of you can call Pride a hater.

Earthquake Enyart
01-05-2005, 08:07 AM
This does kinda remind me of the Joe Ferguson years. He was an ok QB but you knew in your heart that we'd never win a damn thing with him at the controls. :::

OpIv37
01-05-2005, 08:08 AM

Good point but I don't see it happening- Drew will still get most of the 1st team reps in practice, at least until JP manages to win the starting job.

Jan Reimers
01-05-2005, 08:14 AM
I don't like the idea of naming ANYONE the starter right now. It didn't work in Cincinatti, and I don't think it will work for us. Let JP and Drew work their butts off in the offseason, physically and mentally, watching film, working out, etc. and let them battle it out in camp. Competition is a good thing.

JP is no longer a raw rookie. He has an entire season of watching, learning and even getting his feet wet in a few games. If he wins the job in preseason, he'll get enough reps which, combined with the little experience he already has, should put him in pretty good shape to be successful.

FTG
01-05-2005, 08:25 AM
I don't like the idea of naming ANYONE the starter right now. It didn't work in Cincinatti, and I don't think it will work for us. .

I disagree that it did not work for Cincinatti. I think they got what they expected. Palmer to struggle early and get better as he played. Look how well he was playing before he got hurt.

They may have made the Playoffs if Kitna had started the season but they are a lot better off in the future for biting the bullet this year.

jamze132
01-05-2005, 09:56 AM

Also, if Bledsoe is the starter to give us the best shot at the playoffs, it delays JP's development until 06 and by that time age and free agency will have destroyed our defense and the dreaded "R" word could be back...

Uou seem to know what your are talking about. I said almost the exact same thing in a previous thread. We need to start JP now and let him take his bumbs. And just because JP starts, doesn't mean that we won't make the playoffs.

OpIv37
01-05-2005, 10:03 AM
Uou seem to know what your are talking about. I said almost the exact same thing in a previous thread. We need to start JP now and let him take his bumbs. And just because JP starts, doesn't mean that we won't make the playoffs.

It's possible that we make the playoffs with a rookie QB, just not likely. The Roethlisbergers and Bradys are the exceptions.

I could see this team possibly doing it because, like Pittsburgh, the rest of our team is pretty solid (if not on the Pitt-NE level yet). But for Losman's first year of starting, I won't have high expectations just because of the inexperience.

jamze132
01-05-2005, 10:11 AM
It's possible that we make the playoffs with a rookie QB, just not likely. The Roethlisbergers and Bradys are the exceptions.

I could see this team possibly doing it because, like Pittsburgh, the rest of our team is pretty solid (if not on the Pitt-NE level yet). But for Losman's first year of starting, I won't have high expectations just because of the inexperience.

You're exactly right. I wouldn't expect for them to make the playoffs with a 1st year starter, but I wouldn't really be shocked either, like you said, with the talent surrounding him. Seriously, JP learning to play football is not going to be a drop off in production from the QB position on this team right now. LET HIM PLAY!!!!

mybills
01-05-2005, 10:13 AM
This does kinda remind me of the Joe Ferguson years. He was an ok QB but you knew in your heart that we'd never win a damn thing with him at the controls. :::
At least we knew he'd come back strong in the 2nd half of almost every game. We don't even have THAT with Blindsoe.

ScottLawrence
01-05-2005, 10:21 AM
I hear ya.

The thing with Losman is even though he may struggle early, his mobility will make up for it.

If he struggles to find someone open, we all know he can run and scramble for some yards downfield.

DaBills
01-05-2005, 10:35 AM
Blindsoe. Blitzoe. It's all the same. It's good to talk about playoffs, but we need to beat our own division first. 2-0 vs. the Fins and Jests and we're in right now. I'm so ****ing pissed the Vikes and Jests are in.

One big advantage JP would have is WM. So what if he has to hand-off a lot? He'll be in there taking the game reps and developing. Even if Moulds for some reason doesn't restructure and we lose him, knock on wood, you still have Evans, some decent talent at TE when healthy. This isn't like Detroit where they threw Harrington out there with no talent whatsoever to support him.

I worry now when Drew takes a snap, with JP, at least that worry would have upside.

;-p

ScottLawrence
01-05-2005, 11:03 AM
Blindsoe. Blitzoe. It's all the same. It's good to talk about playoffs, but we need to beat our own division first. 2-0 vs. the Fins and Jests and we're in right now. I'm so ****ing pissed the Vikes and Jests are in.

One big advantage JP would have is WM. So what if he has to hand-off a lot? He'll be in there taking the game reps and developing. Even if Moulds for some reason doesn't restructure and we lose him, knock on wood, you still have Evans, some decent talent at TE when healthy. This isn't like Detroit where they threw Harrington out there with no talent whatsoever to support him.

I worry now when Drew takes a snap, with JP, at least that worry would have upside.

;-p

Yup.

There is definitly talent around him.

If Moulds stays(Which I hear he is), we have two GOOD recievers, a runningback who has the potential to get 1500 yards in a season, and an offensive line that improved each week.

Losman will definitly have players around him to succeed.

Along with a great defense and great coaching(Wyche, Mularkey, Clements)