PDA

View Full Version : Teams draft QB's in round 1 for a reason

FTG
01-05-2005, 08:20 AM
To start them.

Besides Pennington and Mcnair how many first round QB's can you remember that sat the bench for 2 seasons before getting a chance to start?

Jan Reimers
01-05-2005, 08:26 AM
Ryan Leaf, David Klingler, and Andre Ware would be 3 prime examples. Heath Schuler might have been starting, but it didn't last. And then there was Rick Mirer. Philip Rivers might still be on the bench next year as well.

Jan Reimers
01-05-2005, 08:28 AM
But I agree - I would love to see JP as the man.

Uncle Jesse
01-05-2005, 08:28 AM
Ryan Leaf, David Klingler, and Andre Ware would be 3 prime examples. Heath Schuler might have been starting, but it didn't last. And then there was Rick Mirer. Philip Rivers might still be on the bench next year as well.
Well said.

Iehoshua
01-05-2005, 08:31 AM
Jim Druckenmiller 26th overall San Fransico 1997 draft...

Looks like he may have started 1 game though then fell off the earth... I don't remember him...

FTG
01-05-2005, 08:31 AM
I did not mean guys that bombed out as rookies and were benched in thier second year.

What I meant was can you think of any #1 picks that sat the bench for 2 years before getting a shot? Mcnair was one. Him and Pennigton are the only ones in the last 10 years I can think of

Jan Reimers
01-05-2005, 08:32 AM
Jim Druckenmiller 26th overall San Fransico 1997 draft...

Looks like he may have started 1 game though then fell off the earth... I don't remember him...
Wasn't he the guy who had a rape charge against him?

Iehoshua
01-05-2005, 08:34 AM
Wasn't he the guy who had a rape charge against him?

Yep, that's him:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/news/1999/06/30/druckenmiller_trial/

Iehoshua
01-05-2005, 08:39 AM
He was also aquitted:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/news/1999/07/22/news.druckmill.html

dannyek71
01-05-2005, 08:43 AM
Ryan Leaft did not ride the bench right away...

Remember he played against the Bills quite a bit on opening day a few years ago....

Flutie came into the game to spell Rj (Big surprise)

EDS
01-05-2005, 09:17 AM
Ryan Leaft did not ride the bench right away...

Remember he played against the Bills quite a bit on opening day a few years ago....

Flutie came into the game to spell Rj (Big surprise)

I think the Chargers beat the Bills in that game, right?

At any rate, I trust the coaching staff to make the right decision on who to start next season. I hope it is Losman, and I hope Losman turns into a solid QB.

THATHURMANATOR
01-05-2005, 09:27 AM
To start them.

Besides Pennington and Mcnair how many first round QB's can you remember that sat the bench for 2 seasons before getting a chance to start?

I agree. I am hoping Mularky opens this up to competition. I am under the impression though that he may handle this much like the Mcgahee, Henry situation from this year.

Ickybaluky
01-05-2005, 11:13 AM
To start them.

I think it is hard to find historical comparisons because we are now in the salary cap era. Because of the cap, these guys generally have to play sooner than they might have before.

Ebenezer
01-05-2005, 11:21 AM
I think it is hard to find historical comparisons because we are now in the salary cap era. Because of the cap, these guys generally have to play sooner than they might have before.
combine that with guys coming out of college early without proper seasoning and the total dilution of talent with 32 teams...

The_Philster
01-05-2005, 03:50 PM
I did not mean guys that bombed out as rookies and were benched in thier second year.

What I meant was can you think of any #1 picks that sat the bench for 2 years before getting a shot? Mcnair was one. Him and Pennigton are the only ones in the last 10 years I can think of
Technically, do you really think McNair falls into that category?:idunno:
He started 2 games his rookie season (played 4) and 4 his sophomore season(played in 9)

FTG
01-05-2005, 04:27 PM
Technically, do you really think McNair falls into that category?:idunno:
He started 2 games his rookie season (played 4) and 4 his sophomore season(played in 9)

Did not realize he played that much year 2. Even more reason why Losman should start. Teams just don't take QB's in round 1 to have them sit

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 04:35 PM
Watch Eli really come on next year because he got almost half a year this season. Mark my words.

And JP has had a year to watch already. No, he needs to play and practice from Day 1 as the starter. TD traded to get him as our franchise QB. IMO, it is HIS job to lose now, not Drew's. He's had 3 years and failed.

The_Philster
01-05-2005, 04:59 PM
Did not realize he played that much year 2. Even more reason why Losman should start. Teams just don't take QB's in round 1 to have them sit
Honestly, when we drafted him, the McNair model was what I hoped we'd follow...but Chandler was more consistent in McNair's rookie year than Drew was this year, IMO

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Honestly, when we drafted him, the McNair model was what I hoped we'd follow...but Chandler was more consistent in McNair's rookie year than Drew was this year, IMO
Personally I wasn't hoping for that model because in my gut I knew Drew was done. But you are right about Chandler...that is what Drew would have had to have been to help JP and the team grow.

Drive 4 Five
01-05-2005, 05:40 PM
JP has had a year to watch already. No, he needs to play and practice from Day 1 as the starter. TD traded to get him as our franchise QB. IMO, it is HIS job to lose now, not Drew's. He's had 3 years and failed.

I could not agree with you more. Bledsoe has had his chance. I do hope he will stay around and hold a clip board though. It is the least he can do for the fans...

cordog
01-05-2005, 09:55 PM
I dont see how this coaching staff would have Bledsoe around another year, but they have alot more experience than me or anyone else here for that matter so Ill trust their judgement.

But MM has done more with less. If they run a similar offense to the one he used with Kordell, i dont see why JP couldnt be successful. All the Bills need to do is pound the ball and dink and dunk their way down the field. If he was worth the #22 pick, i think he could at least do that.