• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FTG
    • Aug 2004

Teams draft QB's in round 1 for a reason

To start them.

Besides Pennington and Mcnair how many first round QB's can you remember that sat the bench for 2 seasons before getting a chance to start?
    Last edited by FTG; 01-05-2005, 08:38 AM.
    Drew Bledsoe ****ing sucks

• Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Ryan Leaf, David Klingler, and Andre Ware would be 3 prime examples. Heath Schuler might have been starting, but it didn't last. And then there was Rick Mirer. Philip Rivers might still be on the bench next year as well.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      • May 2003

But I agree - I would love to see JP as the man.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Uncle Jesse
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
        Ryan Leaf, David Klingler, and Andre Ware would be 3 prime examples. Heath Schuler might have been starting, but it didn't last. And then there was Rick Mirer. Philip Rivers might still be on the bench next year as well.
        Well said.

Comment

• Iehoshua
          • Jan 2003

Jim Druckenmiller 26th overall San Fransico 1997 draft...

Looks like he may have started 1 game though then fell off the earth... I don't remember him...

Comment

• FTG
            • Aug 2004

I did not mean guys that bombed out as rookies and were benched in thier second year.

What I meant was can you think of any #1 picks that sat the bench for 2 years before getting a shot? Mcnair was one. Him and Pennigton are the only ones in the last 10 years I can think of
            Drew Bledsoe ****ing sucks

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              • May 2003

Originally posted by Darth Takeo
              Jim Druckenmiller 26th overall San Fransico 1997 draft...

Looks like he may have started 1 game though then fell off the earth... I don't remember him...
              Wasn't he the guy who had a rape charge against him?

Comment

• Iehoshua
                • Jan 2003

Wasn't he the guy who had a rape charge against him?
                Yep, that's him:

Comment

• Iehoshua
                  • Jan 2003

He was also aquitted:

Comment

• dannyek71
                    Drink Responsibly
                    • Dec 2004

Ryan Leaft did not ride the bench right away...

Remember he played against the Bills quite a bit on opening day a few years ago....

Flutie came into the game to spell Rj (Big surprise)
                    [

Comment

• EDS
                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by dannyek71
                      Ryan Leaft did not ride the bench right away...

Remember he played against the Bills quite a bit on opening day a few years ago....

Flutie came into the game to spell Rj (Big surprise)

I think the Chargers beat the Bills in that game, right?

At any rate, I trust the coaching staff to make the right decision on who to start next season. I hope it is Losman, and I hope Losman turns into a solid QB.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by FTG
                        To start them.

Besides Pennington and Mcnair how many first round QB's can you remember that sat the bench for 2 seasons before getting a chance to start?
                        I agree. I am hoping Mularky opens this up to competition. I am under the impression though that he may handle this much like the Mcgahee, Henry situation from this year.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by FTG
                          To start them.

I think it is hard to find historical comparisons because we are now in the salary cap era. Because of the cap, these guys generally have to play sooner than they might have before.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                            Give me a minute...
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NE39
                            I think it is hard to find historical comparisons because we are now in the salary cap era. Because of the cap, these guys generally have to play sooner than they might have before.
                            combine that with guys coming out of college early without proper seasoning and the total dilution of talent with 32 teams...

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• The_Philster
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by FTG
                              I did not mean guys that bombed out as rookies and were benched in thier second year.

What I meant was can you think of any #1 picks that sat the bench for 2 years before getting a shot? Mcnair was one. Him and Pennigton are the only ones in the last 10 years I can think of
                              Technically, do you really think McNair falls into that category?
                              He started 2 games his rookie season (played 4) and 4 his sophomore season(played in 9)
                              The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

Working...
                              X