PDA

View Full Version : Bledsoe deserves another shot

Ebenezer
01-05-2005, 11:24 AM
This says it all very well....just says what many of us have been saying:

Bledsoe deserves another shot

1/5/2005

By BOB DICESARE

Drew Bledsoe might never win a Super Bowl, which would place him alongside Jim Kelly, who shares the same distinction with Dan Marino. Both are notable members of a club that currently includes Peyton Manning.
And yet, any member of the quartet surely would be a more appealing starter than Trent Dilfer or Jeff Hostetler, both of whom won championships in defiance of their stature while minding conservative game plans designed to mask their deficiencies.

So the idea that the quarterback makes a championship team has its historical counterpoints, the most recent example being Brad Johnson the dinker versus Rich Gannon the gunslinger in the Super Bowl of two years back. Why a team succeeds or fails is a complex issue that almost always extends far beyond the one player who takes the snap.

If it's unsatisfactory that the Bills finished 9-7 under Bledsoe's direction, if the thought persists that he's unfit for the job, then a review of the season is in order. The Bills held a fourth-quarter lead in the opener against Jacksonville only to have its renowned defense surrender an 80-yard drive and three fourth-down conversions. There's win No. 10.

Bledsoe directed two fourth-quarter touchdown drives in Game Five against the Jets, entrusted a 14-13 lead to the defense with 5:58 remaining. Five minutes and 60 yards later, New York kicked the decisive field goal. There's win No. 11.

The final meltdown came Sunday against the Steelers, when the defense surrendered another fourth-quarter lead, followed by a 14-play drive of almost nine minutes that put the game away. There's win No. 12 and a tie for the third-best record in the AFC. Seems it's the celebrated defense, which continuously wilted in the fourth quarter of close games, that has some explaining to do.

Late defensive collapses have been abundant throughout Bledsoe's three years here. The Bills lost seven games in which they've led by seven or fewer points going into the fourth quarter, and two other times they blew leads before winning in overtime. Rarely has it been a quick kill. Indy beat them with an 83-yard drive last season, Tennessee with a 67-yard drive. In 2002, the lead was squandered on opposing marches of 68 yards (Jets), 80 yards (Raiders) and 78 yards (Chiefs). You can't heap all that on the QB.

The Bills were one of only two teams with just three 20-catch receivers. Twenty-two teams had at least five. Bledsoe had no dependable third option at wideout. Tight end Mark Campbell was just becoming a viable part of the offense when he was lost for the season. Then tight end Tim Euhus went down. Eric Moulds, like many a star wideout, wants nothing to do with the lead pass thrown over the middle.

To say that Bledsoe can't win a Super Bowl is a safe play against the odds. Many great ones haven't. In fact, of the league's current starting quarterbacks, only Tom Brady and Brett Favre have.

Bledsoe is still the Bills' best shot at making the playoffs next season. To me that means you give him the ball back.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050105/1027857.asp

justasportsfan
01-05-2005, 11:29 AM
This says it all very well....just says what many of us have been saying:

So does this......

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050104/1058884.asp

Bills can't take next step with Bledsoe

But in the end, he will always let you down. In a big game, he will make throws that leave you scratching your head. He will hold the ball too long. He will fail to sense an oncoming blitzer, and imminent disaster.

We were told that Bledsoe wouldn't have to win games by himself this year. He just had to avoid losing them. It was a low standard, one he reached for the most part. He didn't lose games. Aside from the Miami game, he didn't win them, either.

Really, can you think of any other games where Bledsoe was the difference? The Bills won seven of their games by 10 or more points. They didn't trail in the fourth quarter of any of their nine wins.

The Bills had the second-ranked defense in the NFL and the league's best special teams. How good did the quarterback have to be for them to go 9-7?

Bledsoe will probably go into next season as the starter. It's hard to imagine the Bills yanking him now. Tom Donahoe, the president and general manager, believes in Bledsoe and wants to show the world he was right to bring him here.

:D

FTG
01-05-2005, 11:34 AM
Not suprising. Dicesare has always been a Drew supporter.

Ebenezer
01-05-2005, 11:37 AM
So does this......

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050104/1058884.asp

Bills can't take next step with Bledsoe

But in the end, he will always let you down. In a big game, he will make throws that leave you scratching your head. He will hold the ball too long. He will fail to sense an oncoming blitzer, and imminent disaster.

We were told that Bledsoe wouldn't have to win games by himself this year. He just had to avoid losing them. It was a low standard, one he reached for the most part. He didn't lose games. Aside from the Miami game, he didn't win them, either.

Really, can you think of any other games where Bledsoe was the difference? The Bills won seven of their games by 10 or more points. They didn't trail in the fourth quarter of any of their nine wins.

The Bills had the second-ranked defense in the NFL and the league's best special teams. How good did the quarterback have to be for them to go 9-7?

Bledsoe will probably go into next season as the starter. It's hard to imagine the Bills yanking him now. Tom Donahoe, the president and general manager, believes in Bledsoe and wants to show the world he was right to bring him here.

the point was that there was plenty of blame to go around and if the vaunted defense holds together for 2 drives this team is in the playoffs.

justasportsfan
Not suprising. Dicesare has always been a Drew supporter.That would be like asking Phil to write about Drew :snicker:

BAM
Yup. Cya next year, Drew.

justasportsfan
01-05-2005, 11:41 AM
the point was that there was plenty of blame to go around and if the vaunted defense holds together for 2 drives this team is in the playoffs.we were an above average qb away from making playoffs. D was good enough, wr's were good enough, ST was good enough, rb was good enough, OL was good enough, QB wasn't.

Ebenezer
01-05-2005, 11:45 AM
we were an above average qb away from making playoffs. D was good enough, wr's were good enough, ST was good enough, rb was good enough, OL was good enough, QB wasn't.
We were a knocked down pass by Nate Clements against Jax from making the playoffs.

FTG
01-05-2005, 11:45 AM
That would be like asking Phil to write about Drew :snicker:

:rofl: He's about as bad a Phil

justasportsfan
01-05-2005, 11:47 AM
We were a knocked down pass by Nate Clements against Jax from making the playoffs.
Clements for the entire season was one of the better players on this team. He has more than made up for his bonehead plays against better teams. Drew has never made up for any of his bonehead plays against better teams. Sure he was great against the worst team in the NFL. Big Deal.

Ebenezer
01-05-2005, 11:48 AM
Clements for the entire season was one of the better players on this team. He has more than made up for his bonehead plays against better teams. Drew has never made up for any of his bonehead plays against better teams. Sure he was great against the worst team in the NFL. Big Deal.
Clements knocks the ball down and the Bills are in the playoff....1 play. 1 play cost them the playoffs.

FTG
01-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Clements knocks the ball down and the Bills are in the playoff....1 play. 1 play cost them the playoffs.

And if he does not make the other big plays he made we are not in the playoffs

FTG
01-05-2005, 11:52 AM

What are you saying? That if every other player on our team plays perfect every play and never makes a mistake we can overcome Bledsoes ineptness?

justasportsfan
01-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Clements knocks the ball down and the Bills are in the playoff....1 play. 1 play cost them the playoffs.hew blew 1 play. Drew blew against Ravens, Pitts, NE etc. that's at least 3 games.

When did he make up for it? Never.

What about TKO in the endzone against the Jags? Are ytou gonna blame him too. He is a probowler, Drew in even considered by many as average.

You are barking up the wrong tree EB. There isn't a fan out there who would rather get rid of Clements over Drew.

helmetguy
01-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Obviously, Eb, we're missing the point. No matter what happens, it was Bledsoe who was supposed to do more to put points on the board. By extension of the prevailing arguement, that means McNabb sucks for not getting over the hump in THREE straight NFC Championships. Or, Peyton Manning couldn't get past NE last season, he didn't do enough, either. It was great so see, though, that the DBs went the extra mile Sunday and shut down Antwan Randel-El. Don't you agree?

FTG
01-05-2005, 12:03 PM
Obviously, Eb, we're missing the point. No matter what happens, it was Bledsoe who was supposed to do more to put points on the board. By extension of the prevailing arguement, that means McNabb sucks for not getting over the hump in THREE straight NFC Championships. Or, Peyton Manning couldn't get past NE last season, he didn't do enough, either. It was great so see, though, that the DBs went the extra mile Sunday and shut down Antwan Randel-El. Don't you agree?

No matter what happens you guys will never blame Bledsoe. It will always be someone elses fault

OpIv37
01-05-2005, 12:03 PM

Thinking about that makes me physically ill- our season ended in the 4th quarter of Game 1.

Ebenezer
01-05-2005, 12:05 PM
doesn't matter...the do-si-do continues...they claim that it was DB that prevented the Bills from making the playoffs...try to point out the failure of 1 play prevented the playoffs and that by making that play DB would be a good enough starter to make the playoffs and you get the argument that everybody has to be perfect...I pointed out 1 imperfect play...I could have picked out 70 from the Pitts game alone...oh well...round and round and round and round....like i said...I'm done with the topic for 7 months.

Ebenezer
01-05-2005, 12:06 PM
No matter what happens you guys will never blame Bledsoe. It will always be someone elses fault
I never said DB was not at fault...I said pull him after the NE game...wtf you want?? you just want to blame DB until the cows come home....you are truly convinced that 1 post about Lindell equals 4,000 posts against DB...that is not balanced.

FTG
01-05-2005, 12:08 PM
...I'm done with the topic for 7 months.

I hope you keep your word

Ebenezer
01-05-2005, 12:09 PM
I hope you keep your word
watch me...August 1 unless discussing impact of signing a FA or a draft choice or a cut or a trade...

FTG
01-05-2005, 12:10 PM
I never said DB was not at fault...I said pull him after the NE game...wtf you want?? you just want to blame DB until the cows come home....you are truly convinced that 1 post about Lindell equals 4,000 posts against DB...that is not balanced.

almost everyone agrees on Lindell. I've not seen anyone say he should come back.

Ebenezer
01-05-2005, 12:11 PM
almost everyone agrees on Lindell. I've not seen anyone say he should come back.
he should have been gone after last year.

ScottLawrence
Bledsoe is still the Bills' best shot at making the playoffs next season. To me that means you give him the ball back.

I could care less if he gives us the "best shot" at playoffs next year.

We all know we won't go anywhere in the playoffs with him here, so whats the point?

IMO, you take your shots with Losman next year from start to finish, hopefully with the great supporting cast around him, he does well and you make the playoffs.

If not, o well, you got him experience and, a year under his belt in the NFL and can only improve.

cordog
Thinking about that makes me physically ill- our season ended in the 4th quarter of Game 1.

No our season ended when the D couldnt stop willie parker.

justasportsfan
01-05-2005, 12:12 PM
he should have been gone after last year. because he sucked? Therefore Drew should've been gone last year right? So why why insist on a qb that sucks next year?

DaBills
01-05-2005, 12:13 PM

Sorry, but Drew gives up that fumble and Pitt returns it for the difference maker. That's the 'one play' that cost us a playoff birth. Where does this insanity stop? We could go back and forth all season looking at 'one plays', and Drew will come out on top leading that category.

As for the D collapsing late? That article sure ignores the bad **** with the typical arguement that the 'vaunted' D blew it. How come it's not mentioned that the D early is strong enough through three quarters of a game to put the O in positions to win, only to see the O squander it?

The problem with that arguement is that the D is good enough to get the O the ball. But unfortunately, the O is good at giving it right back to the D - for the wrong reasons.

No team can score every first drive, it's true. I don't expect it. But you can not have your O stagnant the first two quarters and think the D won't be frustrated by it especially if they have to keep going back out there.

Let's see, so the O goes 3-and-out, 3-and-out, etc. The D will keep going out, hold teams to 3-and-outs, a TO or FG after a long drive. Maybe they score a TD, but the O doesn't . Yeah, why not blame the D for giving up all the points when the O isn't matching them..

Ebenezer
01-05-2005, 12:14 PM
No our season ended when the D couldnt stop willie parker.
and they ran right over LDE...weakest spot on the D.

cordog
01-05-2005, 12:14 PM
because he sucked? Therefore Drew should've been gone last year right? So why why insist on a qb that sucks next year?

I dont wanna hear that ****. The whole offense sucked last year.

Ebenezer
01-05-2005, 12:17 PM
We could go back and forth all season looking at 'one plays', and Drew will come out on top leading that category.

Go for it...find me one play that if different changes the whole season...makes a win into a loss...not a fumble returned for a TD when we were already behind...one play where the Bills were winning and a win was assured that ended up turning the game into a loss. Clements knocks down the ball and the game is OVER. No way we lose that game. It's a lock.

I'll help
the losses:
Jax- bills were leading with 2 minutes to go
Oak- bills never led
NYJ (1)-bills led with 5 minutes to go
NE (1)-bills were losing when DB fumbled
NE (2)-bills never led
Balt-bills never led
Pittsburgh-bills led when Reed got penalty and Lindell missed FG

Find me the 1 play that turned any of those games into losses.

cordog
01-05-2005, 12:21 PM
Go for it...find me one play that if different changes the whole season...makes a win into a loss...not a fumble returned for a TD when we were already behind...one play where the Bills were winning and a win was assured that ended up turning the game into a loss. Clements knocks down the ball and the game is OVER. No way we lose that game. It's a lock.

I'll help
the losses:
Oak- bills never led
NE (2)-bills never led
Balt-bills never led

and that play against the jags was a 4th and 15

pats-were-right
01-05-2005, 12:22 PM
Bledsoe directed two fourth-quarter touchdown drives in Game Five against the Jets, entrusted a 14-13 lead to the defense with 5:58 remaining. Five minutes and 60 yards later, New York kicked the decisive field goal. There's win No. 11.

I pulled this one as a "typical" example used by Drew defenders. The question that leaps out at me is why didn't the Bills have any points against a so-so Jets defense through three quarters? You can't isolate portions of a game if Bledsoe and the offense played poorly in other portions.

Ebenezer
01-05-2005, 12:23 PM
and that play against the jags was a 4th and 15
God, that hurts even more.

cordog
01-05-2005, 12:24 PM
I pulled this one as a "typical" example used by Drew defenders. The question that leaps out at me is why didn't the Bills have any points against a so-so Jets defense through three quarters? You can't isolate portions of a game if Bledsoe and the offense played poorly in other portions.

How can you isolate Bledsoes performance against the Steelers when the D couldnt stop Brian St. Pierre and Willie Parker?

justasportsfan
01-05-2005, 12:24 PM
I dont wanna hear that ****. The whole offense sucked last year.the difference is that almost every aspect of the O improved a lot against better teams except for the qb position.

cordog
01-05-2005, 12:25 PM
God, that hurts even more.

Sure does, and they had atleast one other 4th down conversion on that drive.

justasportsfan
01-05-2005, 12:25 PM
How can you isolate Bledsoes performance against the Steelers when the D couldnt stop Brian St. Pierre and Willie Parker?yes, they did let up. But they also limited the steelers to fg's in the redzone and caused TO's and even scored. Drew did nothing but suck.

Ebenezer
01-05-2005, 12:26 PM
Sure does, and they had atleast one other 4th down conversion on that drive.
I believe they were 3-3 on 4th down including the winning TD...to a WE that basically disappeared after game 4.

pats-were-right
01-05-2005, 12:28 PM
Obviously, Eb, we're missing the point. No matter what happens, it was Bledsoe who was supposed to do more to put points on the board. By extension of the prevailing arguement, that means McNabb sucks for not getting over the hump in THREE straight NFC Championships. Or, Peyton Manning couldn't get past NE last season, he didn't do enough, either.

You're not seriously comparing Manning's an McNabb's aborted playoff runs to the 2000-2004 Bledsoe ineptness are you?

Do you realize Bledsoe's had a QB rating above 86 ONCE in his whole career (1997, a year in whcih he subsequently blew in the playoffs)? How about those other guys?

cordog
01-05-2005, 12:28 PM
4-14-JAC34 (1:18) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass to J.Smith to BUF 21 for 45 yards (N.Clements). Caught at BUF 22, left side.
4-2-BUF13 (:33) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass to T.Edwards to BUF 7 for 6 yards (T.McGee). Caught at BUF 7, over middle crossing from right.
4-7-BUF7 (:04) B.Leftwich pass to E.Wilford for 7 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Caught in rear of end zone, right side. Review ruled receiver forced out of bounds after catch. Play Challenged by Review Assistant and Upheld.

3 4th down conversions

justasportsfan
01-05-2005, 12:29 PM

I'll help
the losses:
Oak- bills never led
NE (2)-bills never led
Balt-bills never led

don't you guys get it? If we cut Clements, McGee or any other player that made a bonehead play, the team will lose a good player at their position. Losing Drew won't hurt . As ma tter of fact we could get better because whoever takes will place just doesn't have to suck.

cordog
01-05-2005, 12:30 PM
yes, they did let up. But they also limited the steelers to fg's in the redzone and caused TO's and even scored. Drew did nothing but suck.

Never said he didnt suck. He did. But to say he was the reason we lost this game is just flat out wrong. The whole team sucked a fat one.

justasportsfan
01-05-2005, 12:30 PM
Sure does, and they had atleast one other 4th down conversion on that drive.but if Drew didn't blow against the ravens, NE etc, that would've made up for the jags game.

cordog
01-05-2005, 12:32 PM
but if Drew didn't blow against the ravens, NE etc, that would've made up for the jags game.

But if the D held up in the ravens game that woulda made up for Drew blowing against the Ravens and NE.

justasportsfan
01-05-2005, 12:33 PM
But if the D held up in the ravens game that woulda made up for Drew blowing against the Ravens and NE.the D is the second best D in the NFL. Where does Drew rank?

cordog
01-05-2005, 12:34 PM
don't you guys get it? If we cut Clements, McGee or any other player that made a bonehead play, the team will lose a good player at their position. Losing Drew won't hurt . As ma tter of fact we could get better because whoever takes will place just doesn't have to suck.

Look, I think JP probably should start this year. But im sick of people around here blaming drew for everything. He deserves SOME blame, as do 52 other players in that lockerroom. If MM, TC, SW, and TD decide Bledsoe should be here another year, Ill take there 100 + years of NFL experience to our 0.

The King
01-05-2005, 12:35 PM

Early in the season Buffalo Ran on 1-2 and threw on 3rd. It was like clock work and it wasnt until the 4th that the play calling favored the passing game. I suppose we should expect an un-biased opinion from someone whos user name is 'pats were right' though?

cordog
01-05-2005, 12:36 PM
the D is the second best D in the NFL. Where does Drew rank?

Drew doesnt rank well. Never said he did. But this 2nd ranked D couldnt hold a team when it counted the most. The Jags, the jets, Willie Parker, and Brian St. Pierre. Everyone talks about how Drew comes up empty in a big game, and rightly so, but lets take a look at this great D in crunch time against good teams. So far i havent seen anything.

justasportsfan
01-05-2005, 12:37 PM
Look, I think JP probably should start this year. But im sick of people around here blaming drew for everything. He deserves SOME blame, as do 52 other players in that lockerroom. If MM, TC, SW, and TD decide Bledsoe should be here another year, Ill take there 100 + years of NFL experience to our 0.
Sorry, I was only responding to a thread that said Drew deserves another shot. I just had to post my disagreement. I didn't start the thread. :D.

DaBills
01-05-2005, 12:43 PM
ebe - You're missing the point you made.

;-p

That 'one play' is a difference maker no matter when it happens in a game. Why does it have to be the absolute last play of the game to qualify? Jax's just happened to be the last one in a game btw, that had no playoff implications at the time.

If Drew made up for his'one play' with a 'Big play' on Sunday, then it doesn't matter. We're in and the Jax game is moot. But because the O was stagnant (again) in a critical situation, it's somehow not moot and it's allClements fault back in game one?

So if I get this right, the D gets blamed again when the O doesn't score in the future?

Iehoshua
01-05-2005, 12:47 PM
Drew made geriatric Deion Sanders look like he was back in his prime in Baltimore... ...for that performance alone Losman should get a shot... :rofl:

Forward_Lateral
01-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Drew doesnt rank well. Never said he did. But this 2nd ranked D couldnt hold a team when it counted the most. The Jags, the jets, Willie Parker, and Brian St. Pierre. Everyone talks about how Drew comes up empty in a big game, and rightly so, but lets take a look at this great D in crunch time against good teams. So far i havent seen anything.

:clap: Last time I checked, a 2ND ranked NFL defense doesn't crumble in the 4th quarter of games. A 2ND ranked NFL defense doesn't allow a bunch of 2nd and 3rd string scrubs have the ball for nearly 2 thirds of the 4th quarter. A 2ND ranked NFL defense doesn't let a bunch of 3rd and 4th stringers have career days. I'm so sick of hearing about how Drew is the only reason we lost. Ever wonder if more deep passing plays were called, what would've happened? Ever wonder what would've happened if Josh Reed didn't have hands and a brain of stone? Ever wonder what would happen if we didn't have Porky Pig for a kicker? The list goes on and on and on and on and on....blah blah blah blah. Yes Drew sucked vs Pittsburgh. Yes he didn't help the team in that and a few other games. I sometimes think certain fans won't be happy unless the Bills go 16-0 and win the superbowl....no, I'm sure they'd find something to complain about.

justasportsfan
01-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Drew made geriatric Deion Sanders look like he was back in his prime in Baltimore... ...for that performance alone Losman should get a shot... :rofl:
he also gave Brown his first INT as a cb against NE and he also fumbled the ball that gave that guy from Pitts his first fumble recovery and first TD in his career.

cordog
01-05-2005, 12:55 PM
:clap: Last time I checked, a 2ND ranked NFL defense doesn't crumble in the 4th quarter of games. A 2ND ranked NFL defense doesn't allow a bunch of 2nd and 3rd string scrubs have the ball for nearly 2 thirds of the 4th quarter. A 2ND ranked NFL defense doesn't let a bunch of 3rd and 4th stringers have career days. I'm so sick of hearing about how Drew is the only reason we lost. Ever wonder if more deep passing plays were called, what would've happened? Ever wonder what would've happened if Josh Reed didn't have hands and a brain of stone? Ever wonder what would happen if we didn't have Porky Pig for a kicker? The list goes on and on and on and on and on....blah blah blah blah. Yes Drew sucked vs Pittsburgh. Yes he didn't help the team in that and a few other games. I sometimes think certain fans won't be happy unless the Bills go 16-0 and win the superbowl....no, I'm sure they'd find something to complain about.

:clap:

DaBills
01-05-2005, 12:57 PM

Again, why is late in the game the thing that's mentioned and not early when the D is able to contain offenses, but the O tanks? If the O scores moe during the game, the D may just be allowed to give up a score without shouldering the responsbility for winning.

And I think most are blaming the stagnant O, not Drew specifcially.

And 16-0? Who said that? I'll take it, but it probably won't happen anytime in my lifetime. But we will always a SB win.

:dance:

pats-were-right
01-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Again, why is late in the game the thing that's mentioned and not early when the D is able to contain offenses, but the O tanks? If the O scores moe during the game, the D may just be allwoed to give up a score without shouldering thersponsbility for winning.

And 16-0? Who said that? I'll take it, but it probably won't happen anytime in my lifetime. But we will always a SB win.

Exactly - it's rare to have a 2000 Ravens type defense that actively wins games for you. You need an offense to produce its fair share

justasportsfan
01-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Drew doesnt rank well. Never said he did. But this 2nd ranked D couldnt hold a team when it counted the most. The Jags, the jets, Willie Parker, and Brian St. Pierre. Everyone talks about how Drew comes up empty in a big game, and rightly so, but lets take a look at this great D in crunch time against good teams. So far i havent seen anything.they didn't come up big but for the entire season no can say they weren't one of the biggest asset of this team. All Drew had to do was not suck and he couldn't even achieve that. I would Drew before I would cut ANY of our starters on D.

Okay to be fair if I say cut Drew, who would you cut in this D that didn't come up big against Pitts to be fair ? Spike, Pat, Sam, Posey, Schoebel, etc? Name your player.

cordog
01-05-2005, 01:01 PM
Again, why is late in the game the thing that's mentioned and not early when the D is able to contain offenses, but the O tanks? If the O scores moe during the game, the D may just be allwoed to give up a score without shouldering thersponsbility for winning.

The D had the lead. Plain and simple, and they couldnt stop them.

cordog
01-05-2005, 01:02 PM
they didn't come up big but for the entire season no can say they weren't one of the biggest asset of this team. All Drew had to do was not suck and he couldn't even achieve that. I would Drew before I would cut ANY of our starters on D.

Never said they werent an asset. But if people want to talk about Drew coming up empty in big games, they better throw the D in with him.

justasportsfan
01-05-2005, 01:02 PM
the D had the lead thanks to Willis and clements scoring . We would even have a bigger lead is Drew didn't screw up.

Ebenezer
01-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Again, why is late in the game the thing that's mentioned and not early when the D is able to contain offenses, but the O tanks? If

Don't you get it?? Because the Jax game was already a win for pete's sake...win that game, 10-6 and in the playoffs...in the playoffs and DB is a QB that can lead a team to a playoffs...I give up.

cordog
01-05-2005, 01:08 PM
the D had the lead thanks to Willis and clements scoring . We would even have a bigger lead is Drew didn't screw up.

Why doesnt anyone talk about Drew leading us on a 90 some yard drive that probably would have won the game except for Reed committing a stupid ass penalty?

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 01:21 PM
because he (Lindell) sucked? Therefore Drew should've been gone last year right? So why why insist on a qb that sucks next year?
Best logic I've seen yet. A+.

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Sorry, but Drew gives up that fumble and Pitt returns it for the difference maker. That's the 'one play' that cost us a playoff birth. Where does this insanity stop? We could go back and forth all season looking at 'one plays', and Drew will come out on top leading that category.:10:

That was perfect. You can't point to "one play" in the regular season as to the reason we missed the playoffs.

FTG
01-05-2005, 01:24 PM

you guys must :roflmao: watching us bicker over that piece of **** you suckered us into giving you a #1 for

Iehoshua
01-05-2005, 01:26 PM
you guys must :roflmao: watching us bicker over that piece of **** you suckered us into giving you a #1 for

I saw a thread buried way back asking the question "Was Drew worth a #1 pick?" Tons of people said yes.. I think I'm gonna find it again and bump it...

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 01:27 PM
the D is the second best D in the NFL. Where does Drew rank?
:10:

Perfect response.

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 01:28 PM
You're not seriously comparing Manning's an McNabb's aborted playoff runs to the 2000-2004 Bledsoe ineptness are you?

Do you realize Bledsoe's had a QB rating above 86 ONCE in his whole career (1997, a year in whcih he subsequently blew in the playoffs)? How about those other guys?
Yes, he is. That's the level of blindness some have when looking at Drew. It truly boggles the mind.

FTG
01-05-2005, 01:32 PM

And why did the D have the lead against Pitt? Because they had to go score themselves since our pathetic QB could'nt. You guys expect perfect play outta them to cover for Drew. It's hilarious

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 01:34 PM
That article is so ridiculous it is laughable.

Never mind the fact that the offense led by Drew scored 10 points per game for the first 4 games. That forced the defense into extremely tough situations. We wouldn't have even BEEN in the position to win the Jax game had the D not stepped up for 59 min and kept us in the game. When your offense scores 10 pts, you are not doing your job. Period.

I'm not saying.....for the 1 billionth time....that Drew was the ONLY reason we missed the playoffs. But he is the BIGGEST reason. Name one other player who over the year had more of a negative impact on the team. And I'm not talking about just one play in one game. Everyone has a bad game. I'm talking over the entire season.

Eb - let me ask you this....what has Drew done to deserve your fervent loyatly? Don't just say "because he is a Bill" because you've knocked other Bills and wanted them to be canned, e.g., Lindell.

cordog
01-05-2005, 01:35 PM
And why did the D have the lead against Pitt? Because they had to go score themselves since our pathetic QB could'nt. You guys expect perfect play outta them to cover for Drew. It's hilarious

Lets not talk about how Pitts O had great field position all day because of the STs, lets not talk about how Drew drove 90 + yards and probably would have scored the difference making TD if not for Reed, and Lets not talk about Willie Parker schooling the #2 D. Drew did suck, but look at this game objectively. Drew sucked, the O sucked, the D sucked and the ST sucked.

justasportsfan
01-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Never said they werent an asset. But if people want to talk about Drew coming up empty in big games, they better throw the D in with him.

The D can't win every game for this team. All Drew has to do is not suck.

This D held teams to 13 pts. in losses to Jax and Oak while Drew couldn't do squat w/o the help of the D getting him good field position. If Clements didn't intercept the ball in Jax 20 Drew wouldn't have a TD. All he could come up on his own was a fg.

Against Oakland he scored a Td in the last few minutes while Oak had the lead and was on a prevent mode. Almost the entire game all Drew could come up was a fg until the end of the game. The D held Oak to 13 pts.

NE was a different thing. For the most part our D was holding the Pats O. All Drew could do was a fg until Mcgee returns a KO for a TD. Drew throws and INT but Kelsay causes a fumble and recovers. Drew goes 3 and out but Moorman rushes for a 1st down after a fake punt. Drew scores. Thanks to Kelsay and Moorman.

score is tied at 17. Bills punt again. NE scores. then Drew fumbles and game is lost.

this is a typical Drew game.

Our D does it's part because Drew can't score on his own and eventually when the D screws up , they get the blame.

No senior, the D can't always carry the O on it's back the entire game.

FTG
01-05-2005, 01:36 PM

Perfect response.

Sorry Mr C but that was not a good response from justa. Who cares if they were #2. They should have pitched a shutout every game and scored at least 1 td a game.

FTG
01-05-2005, 01:37 PM
Lets not talk about how Pitts O had great field position all day because of the STs, lets not talk about how Drew drove 90 + yards and probably would have scored the difference making TD if not for Reed, and Lets not talk about Willie Parker schooling the #2 D. Drew did suck, but look at this game objectively. Drew sucked, the O sucked, the D sucked and the ST sucked.
D sucked but they made SOME plays.

Drew made ZERO plays

justasportsfan
01-05-2005, 01:37 PM

Perfect response.
Gracias

cordog
01-05-2005, 01:41 PM
The D can't win every game for this team. All Drew has to do is not suck.

This D held teams to 13 pts. in losses to Jax and Oak while Drew couldn't do squat w/o the help of the D getting him good field position. If Clements didn't intercept the ball in Jax 20 Drew wouldn't have a TD. All he could come up on his own was a fg.

Against Oakland he scored a Td in the last few minutes while Oak had the lead and was on a prevent mode. Almost the entire game all Drew could come up was a fg until the end of the game. The D held Oak to 13 pts.

NE was a different thing. For the most part our D was holding the Pats O. All Drew could do was a fg until Mcgee returns a KO for a TD. Drew throws and INT but Kelsay causes a fumble and recovers. Drew goes 3 and out but Moorman rushes for a 1st down after a fake punt. Drew scores. Thanks to Kelsay and Moorman.

score is tied at 17. Bills punt again. NE scores. then Drew fumbles and game is lost.

this is a typical Drew game.

Our D does it's part because Drew can't score on his own and eventually when the D screws up , they get the blame.

No senior, the D can't always carry the O on it's back the entire game.

All the D had to do was stop them on 3 4th downs. And they converted every single one of them. The NE game. Did you forget about Henry tripping which cost us a first down. Did you forget about Drews sweet long pass to Moulds in the Corner for a TD? Maybe if Drew coulda turned around before the NE defender was right in his face he wouldnt of fumbled.

justasportsfan
01-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Lets not talk about how Pitts O had great field position all day because of the STs,. ST is no. 1 in the league. They gave Drew great field position all year long and scored for us.

lets not talk about how Drew drove 90 + yards and probably would have scored the difference making TD if not for Reed,.why couldn't he do that early on instead of garbage time against what was already the 3rd string defense.

and Lets not talk about Willie Parker schooling the #2 D. remember this D held Pitts to 4 fg's in the redzone because our O led by Drew kepp turning the ball over. Let's not just blame the D here. They can't keep carrying our O every game.

Drew did suck, but look at this game objectively. Drew sucked, the O sucked, the D sucked and the ST sucked. Drew sucked for the most part of the season. D was Excellent for the most part of the season. ST was no. 1. Nuff said.

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 01:46 PM
ST is no. 1 in the league. They gave Drew great field position all year long and scored for us.
why couldn't he do that early on instead of garbage time against what was already the 3rd string defense.

remember this D held Pitts to 4 fg's in the redzone because our O led by Drew kepp turning the ball over. Let's not just blame the D here. They can't keep carrying our O every game.

Drew sucked for the most part of the season. D was Excellent for the most part of the season. ST was no. 1. Nuff said.
Justa, you are making an early bid for Best Poster of the Year with this single thread. Seriously, I'm not kidding. Your logic is impeccable so far. Keep it up. I just have to sit back and watch now.

:movie:

Tatonka
01-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Sorry, but Drew gives up that fumble and Pitt returns it for the difference maker. That's the 'one play' that cost us a playoff birth.

no no No NO NOOOOOO...

dont insult our god like that.. bledsoe didnt cause us to miss ****. .it was all clements!!!

qbs that have more turnovers than tds are not the problem... qbs that play like dogshat against any defense that can hold its own are not the problem.

the problem is that the number 3 defense in the land finally got tired after watching our incompetent qb fumble the game away and they couldnt stop one drive..

this is ****** ridiculous... the fact that people are still riding bledsoe's jock is just totally and competely incomprehensible.. and to me.. the people that are, just really are not that concerned about the bills ever winning ****.. i guess because they have their "priorities" straight and it is just a game.. so who gives a crap.. as long as we can tailgate w/ wings!

:puke:

pats-were-right
01-05-2005, 01:52 PM
It's more relief that we made the right choice at QB. Honestly I'm not trying to rub it in - I was really pulling for the Bills to make the playoffs. Bledsoe is possibly, however, the most overrated QB in the last 20 years (note I didn't say suckiest - just overrated)and it just kills me to see the SAME tired arguments in support of him over and over again.

The King
01-05-2005, 01:53 PM
I'm not saying.....for the 1 billionth time....that Drew was the ONLY reason we missed the playoffs. But he is the BIGGEST reason. Name one other player who over the year had more of a negative impact on the team. And I'm not talking about just one play in one game. Everyone has a bad game. I'm talking over the entire season.

I say your wrong. The reason we didnt make the playoffs is because we started 1-5 end of story. A lot of players and hell coaching had to do with that kind of start the team did a hell of a job rallying. But 1-5 is hard to overcome.

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 01:56 PM
I say your wrong. The reason we didnt make the playoffs is because we started 1-5 end of story. A lot of players and hell coaching had to do with that kind of start the team did a hell of a job rallying. But 1-5 is hard to overcome.The offense averaged 12 pts per game in that 1-5 span. That's why we lost. Was it solely Drew's fault for that crap offensive output? No. But he is the leader of that offense and did nothing to raise the level of their play nor lead them forward. It was only after the D and ST started to really heat it up that Drew and the O rode the wave. At his money and experience, Drew should have managed to do that much earlier. Instead all we got was a dejected, unconfident, Drew.

Tatonka
01-05-2005, 01:57 PM
D sucked but they made SOME plays.

Drew made ZERO plays

the D did score right? and they did intercept another ball and take it deep into pitt territory right? they also heal pitts starters to a field goal when STs gave up a fumble deep in our own end too right?

but they obviously didnt pull there weight..

now drew on the other hand.. he didnt score.. he threw a pick.. fumbled a ball that he held on to for hours in the face of an 8 man blitz and watched from his worthless tail as it was returned by a special teams guy playing Linebacker.. but he did have two decent throws to evans and aiken.. so that more than makes up for his major screw ups.

:puke:

The King
01-05-2005, 01:58 PM
You know our offense had no balance early on. Please tell me you saw this. Its nobodys fault really the players have to figure out the offense the coaches have to figure out what works and what doesnt. There wasnt a whole lot that did work early on. To the point where most people actually thought we were just a bad team.

Tatonka
01-05-2005, 01:59 PM
But if the D held up in the ravens game that woulda made up for Drew blowing against the Ravens and NE.

drew had how many picks in the ravens game, gving them great field position..

and let me get this straight.. we have to have a defense that constantly makes up for our 11 vet quarterback's rookie mistakes.. that is what your saying right?

Iehoshua
01-05-2005, 02:01 PM
You know our offense had no balance early on. Please tell me you saw this. Its nobodys fault really the players have to figure out the offense the coaches have to figure out what works and what doesnt. There wasnt a whole lot that did work early on. To the point where most people actually thought we were just a bad team.

The leader of the offense is the QB, plain and simple. Bledsoe has been too inferior to pick up the O when they needed it most and this is what a good QB should do.

justasportsfan
01-05-2005, 02:03 PM
All the D had to do was stop them on 3 4th downs. And they converted every single one of them. The NE game. Did you forget about Henry tripping which cost us a first down. Did you forget about Drews sweet long pass to Moulds in the Corner for a TD? Maybe if Drew coulda turned around before the NE defender was right in his face he wouldnt of fumbled.
but the D did some positives on it's own while Drew couldn't do squat unless the D got him a TO which has been pretty much the case when we face good teams. Otherwise Drew can blast teams like Miami and 9er's .

lordofgun
01-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Bledsoe deserves another shot alright...to the head.

Iehoshua
01-05-2005, 02:08 PM

:mex:

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 02:10 PM
It's more relief that we made the right choice at QB. Honestly I'm not trying to rub it in - I was really pulling for the Bills to make the playoffs. Bledsoe is possibly, however, the most overrated QB in the last 20 years (note I didn't say suckiest - just overrated)and it just kills me to see the SAME tired arguments in support of him over and over again.
This speaks volumes IMO. It's not something that STARTED here in Buffalo. This has been going on for years in NE as well. To me, this more than proves the reality of Drew.

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 02:11 PM
Darth, time to add another amigo to your great sig! :;

:mex:

Tatonka
01-05-2005, 02:13 PM

oh my god.. what a totaly classless post.. my whole opinion of you has changed for good..

:shocked:

Tatonka
01-05-2005, 02:15 PM
This speaks volumes IMO. It's not something that STARTED here in Buffalo. This has been going on for years in NE as well. To me, this more than proves the reality of Drew.

but what do the pats know about personell moves and winnings.. i am sure they completely regret trading away drew all mighty.

Iehoshua
01-05-2005, 02:17 PM
but what do the pats know about personell moves and winnings.. i am sure they completely regret trading away drew all mighty.

I offered pats-were-right a trade via Rep... I said they could have Drew back for their worst practice squad waterboy.

justasportsfan
01-05-2005, 02:17 PM
You know our offense had no balance early on. Please tell me you saw this. so you admit the D and St are the units that need to win games for us? Willis didn't do so badly but he could've done better.

WE CAN'T EVEN RELY ON DREW TO NOT SUCK !!! HOW pathetic is that?

justasportsfan
01-05-2005, 02:18 PM
I offered pats-were-right a trade via Rep... I said they could have Drew back for their worst practice squad waterboy.
We have the Drewids on the defensive now :snicker: Just where we want them :D.

justasportsfan
01-05-2005, 02:19 PM
Sorry Mr C but that was not a good response from justa. .

CONYO !!! :shocked:

pats-were-right
01-05-2005, 02:20 PM
I will say this in the most succinct way possible.

Drew Bledsoe = Vinny Testaverde, a nice guy, who made a couple pro bowls, and was one of the better QB's in the game in his absolute prime, but was NOT worth a first overall pick, IS NOT a superstar, CANNOT carry a team, and makes too many boneheaded mistakes for his experience level.

And BTW - both lost their jobs to "efficiency" type QB's.

Tatonka
01-05-2005, 02:21 PM
i was trying figure out why people still cant admit that blew dredsoe needs the boot.. and then a coworker enlightned me..

do you guys remember that king in lord of the rings.. he looked all old and decrepid.. then gandoff did his thing and the guy looked all young and happy again.. the curse had been lifted..

does anyone know how to get in touch with gandoff? maybe he can swing by the zone sometime and help a few people out.

Iehoshua
01-05-2005, 02:22 PM
We have the Drewids on the defensive now :snicker: Just where we want them :D.

I can already recite the DLCs Code of Responses to 'Drew Haters':

-It's a team game you can't blame it all on Drew

-Nate gave up the 4th down vs Jacksonville

-Drew gives us the best chance to win

Tatonka
01-05-2005, 02:24 PM
I will say this in the most succinct way possible.

Drew Bledsoe = Vinny Testaverde, a nice guy, who made a couple pro bowls, and was one of the better QB's in the game in his absolute prime, but was NOT worth a first overall pick, IS NOT a superstar, CANNOT carry a team, and makes too many boneheaded mistakes for his experience level.

And BTW - both lost their jobs to "efficiency" type QB's.

most of us have seen that light... but we have a few bill parcells in here that think that starting vinny is the only way to be average.. instead of taking a chance on a young guy.

The King
01-05-2005, 02:25 PM
i was trying figure out why people still cant admit that blew dredsoe needs the boot.. and then a coworker enlightned me..

do you guys remember that king in lord of the rings.. he looked all old and decrepid.. then gandoff did his thing and the guy looked all young and happy again.. the curse had been lifted..

does anyone know how to get in touch with gandoff? maybe he can swing by the zone sometime and help a few people out.

LOL. Maybe Gandolf could play QB instead?

justasportsfan
01-05-2005, 02:26 PM
oh my god.. what a totaly classless post.. my whole opinion of you has changed for good..

:shocked:I agree. He should've said A shot to the ribs and a collapsed lung. Then JP comes in and we win the sb. :idunno: That sounds familiar, I wonder where I saw that before :scratch:

Nah, I never wished physical injuries on Robosack and same w/ Robosack sr.

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 02:27 PM

:roflmao:

I may need to start a laugh tracker just for this post alone.

And though it was a joke, it is the only explanation that makes sense. I sorta feel pity now for them. Gandalf, hurry!

pats-were-right
01-05-2005, 02:27 PM
I can already recite the DLCs Code of Responses to 'Drew Haters':

-It's a team game you can't blame it all on Drew

-Nate gave up the 4th down vs Jacksonville

-Drew gives us the best chance to win

You forgot perhaps the #1 excuse. The offensive line doesn't have 5 pro-bowlers - how can he possibly do well?

justasportsfan
01-05-2005, 02:29 PM
You forgot perhaps the #1 excuse. The offensive line doesn't have 5 pro-bowlers - how can he possibly do well?
Shutup!!! Drew brought Respect to your franchise. Bastards!!!! :wail:

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 02:31 PM
You forgot perhaps the #1 excuse. The offensive line doesn't have 5 pro-bowlers - how can he possibly do well?Not to mention the NE line is/was basically the same line Brady has had and won consistently with over time. Hmm....wonder why that is. And when Brady blew chunks in his one bad game against Miami (although he still managed 3 TDs), what happened? NE lost. So much for the impact of a QB on the "team".

Iehoshua
01-05-2005, 02:32 PM

:rofl:

justasportsfan
01-05-2005, 02:34 PM
:rofl: :roflmao:

unpaid_bills
01-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Drew is the best we have. I do agree they should pursue another FA Qb. We could have signed Brunell, Garcia last year - they had stellar years huh? All I am saying dont mortgage the whole year and dump Bledsoe. He is a vet, almost got us in the playoffs this year. I think the Bills will make a move, but dont be surprised if Bledsoe and Losman are competing when camp rolls around. Bledsoe really came around when Lee Evans and McGahee stepped it up. I think he will be fine.

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 02:37 PM
Here's one for ya Darth...

justasportsfan
01-05-2005, 02:37 PM
All I am saying dont mortgage the whole year and dump Bledsoe. He is a vet, almost got us in the playoffs this year. .actually the consensus on this board which even DLC seems to imply, the D and ST almost got us to the playoffs. Drew prevented us from getting there.

Comprende?

Iehoshua
01-05-2005, 02:43 PM

Wish that was 'Darth Donahoe' then we may see results!

mybills
01-05-2005, 02:47 PM
:rofl: :roflmao: :rofl:

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 02:47 PM

Wish that was 'Darth Donahoe' then we may see results!
Unfrortunately Donohoe is MM's Jedi Master. MM does what TD wants. We need Yoda to cast them out of the Jedi order if they start Drew (or even keep him).

Iehoshua
01-05-2005, 02:51 PM
Unfrortunately Donohoe is MM's Jedi Master. MM does what TD wants. We need Yoda to cast them out of the Jedi order if they start Drew (or even keep him).

Hell I'd rather have Vader come in and wipe out the Jedi Order along with their crappy QBs.

This would make an excellent side story in Episode III. For some, however, it would increase their liking for the badguys if part of their plot was to oust Bledsoe...

:chuckle:

Tatonka
01-05-2005, 02:52 PM
:rofl:

that is it! the drewites are cursed..

i will get gandoff here soon.. mark my words!

Iehoshua
01-05-2005, 03:08 PM
that is it! the drewites are cursed..

i will get gandoff here soon.. mark my words!

Some people are so far in the trance I don't know that even Gandalf the White himself can pull them out...

ScottLawrence
01-05-2005, 03:17 PM
HAHAHAHAHAAHA.

lordofgun
01-05-2005, 03:19 PM

:shocked:
So solly.

The_Philster
01-05-2005, 04:35 PM
That would be like asking Phil to write about Drew :snicker:
:huh:

:rofl: He's about as bad a Phil
You don't read my posts much, do you? Try doing so before making such a stupid assertion, thanks :peace:

No matter what happens you guys will never blame Bledsoe. It will always be someone elses faultanother stupid assertion...we've always given Bledsoe plenty of blame...as much as he deserves...not more or less

FTG
01-05-2005, 04:43 PM

You don't read my posts much, do you? Try doing so before making such a stupid assertion, thanks :peace:
another stupid assertion...we've always given Bledsoe plenty of blame...as much as he deserves...not more or less

I disagree.

Iehoshua
01-05-2005, 04:43 PM
:
another stupid assertion...we've always given Bledsoe plenty of blame...as much as he deserves...not more or less

So if we say Bledsoe deserved more blame than you say he deserves, you're right and we're wrong?

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Phil - one question for you. Do you want Drew to start next year?

I don't want to hear:

"Yes, if he beats out JP"
"I will trust the coaches' decision"

I want to hear your personal opinion on whether or not you think Drew should start next year based on his performance this year, his 11 year history and what you personally believe he can do as a QB going forward. I know this is a "team game" but that's not the question. I want to hear a black and white decision, yes or no, on your feelings about Drew and Drew alone.

The_Philster
01-05-2005, 05:14 PM
Phil - one question for you. Do you want Drew to start next year?

I don't want to hear:

"Yes, if he beats out JP"
"I will trust the coaches' decision"

I want to hear your personal opinion on whether or not you think Drew should start next year based on his performance this year, his 11 year history and what you personally believe he can do as a QB going forward. I know this is a "team game" but that's not the question. I want to hear a black and white decision, yes or no, on your feelings about Drew and Drew alone.

I already stated it in the one thread but I think JP should start in 2005. The situation has gotten bad for Drew here....not just performance-wise but as far as public opinion. He did improve in 2004 over his 2003 season but I didn't see the fire I saw in him when he was in New England on a consistent basis. But I won't raise a stink about it if he stays...I'll root him on to be the best as I do any player who plays for the Bills.
So if we say Bledsoe deserved more blame than you say he deserves, you're right and we're wrong?
When you dedicate so much venom and anger for poor play to one player and so little to the rest of the players who screw up, it looks as if you're putting too much of the blame on him. It's a team game...there's not a single soul on the boards who won't criticize Drew for poor play. Hell, I was cursing him out in Baltimore for a stupid throw he made behind Moulds in the end zone below me. But let's face it...he hasn't been the only one at fault and that's what most of us have been trying to say all along...blame Drew, blame Moulds, blame Josh, blame Jonas, blame Travis, blame Nate...if you're gonna get upset about the losses (and you should) why direct all your venom at one player or even two? I'll bet that if you stepped back and looked objectively at game film, you'd end up *****ing about other players more than you seem to. You might still ***** at Drew quite a bit...but maybe it would even out just a little :idunno:

FTG
01-05-2005, 05:24 PM
I already stated it in the one thread but I think JP should start in 2005.

:eek: HOLY :censored:

The_Philster
01-05-2005, 05:26 PM
:eek: HOLY :censored:

maybe if you actually read a few of my posts, you'd find it easier to believe there, skippy :D

I don't see him leaving at this point, though...just my gut feeling :idunno:

DaBills
01-05-2005, 05:33 PM
"Don't you get it?? Because the Jax game was already a win for pete's sake...win that game, 10-6 and in the playoffs...in the playoffs and DB is a QB that can lead a team to a playoffs...I give up."

1 TD over 4 quarters. Yeah, I remember now how Drew really lit up.

Crawling to the brink of the playoffs by beating inferior teams is not 'leading.' Beat NE, Indy or Pitt, then we're going places.

And the game against NE in week 4 when Stop, Drop and Roll was sacked, stripped and returned on all in one motion. That was the D's fault probably for allowing the world champs to score 24 at that point. Maybe even Reed's, or Willis's for getting caught for the loss.

"now drew on the other hand.. he didnt score.. he threw a pick.. fumbled a ball that he held on to for hours in the face of an 8 man blitz and watched from his worthless tail as it was returned by a special teams guy playing Linebacker.. but he did have two decent throws to evans and aiken.. so that more than makes up for his major screw ups."

So you finally see the light! lol.

:funny:

helmetguy
01-05-2005, 06:05 PM
Here's a better question:

All things remaining equal next season, that is same O-line, same WRs, same TEs, same backs, in how many games will JP Losman be THE difference maker? More specifically; how many games will Buffalo lose DIRECTLY from his turnovers? How many will they win DIRECTLY from HIS contribution (TD drives, not FGs)?

Here's the scenario: One complaint about the teams early losses is that Bledsoe "didn't do enough" to win the game. In other words, not enought TD passes. The Bills gave up a total of 284 points to the opposition in the 16 games played (just under 18 points a game). Using the assertion that the defense and special teams "bailed Bledsoe out" in the majority of the nine wins (the stat rats can mull that one over), let's set a quota for points allowed (TDs and FGs) by the #2 defense in the League at 20 per game. We'll give the QB the benefit of the doubt and call a TD seven points, since the PAT is mostly a formality. However, if there's a failed 2-point conversion attempt, that goes against the QB (Example: JP throws 3 TD passes. Two PAT kicks are good, but a 2-point conversion fails. JP's point total would then be 7+7+6-2= 18). If the D and STs give up their 20 point allocation, JP loses, because he didn't do enough to win. Also, if the opposition scores points off a Losman turnover, all points scored come off Losman's total. Using the same situation above, except that the defense/STs allow a TD and a FG; 10 points. Losman still throws 3 TD passes, 2 PATs good, one failed 2-point conversion. A losman INT leads to a TD on the ensuing drive; PAT good. Final score (on the scoreboard) Buffalo 20- Opponent 17. That's a win, right? Not for Losman! Deduct the 7 he is now responsible for as a result of the turnover from the ones he's responsible for creating (18, remember?) and Losman loses 17-11.

Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? Kinda like winning inspite of Bledsoe, but losing because of him? By the same ground rules as noted above, Sunday's game shouldn't have mattered, since Bledsoe was only responsible for 1 TD against Cincy.

As ridiculous as all that sounds (and it IS ridiculous), the early season losses to Jacksonville and the Jets (and possibly Oakland) have all been attributed to the QB not doing enough to win. Fair enough. The QB's job is to lead the team down the field to score points, right? On the flip side of the coin, the Defense's job-as an entire unit-is to keep point OFF the board, right? Any time the opponent scores, then, is a failure, right? So, how many points (failures) is a defense allowed to give up? They allowed 22 of the 29 scored by Pittsburgh on Sunday; by mostly backups, no less. Acceptable?

(And stat rats do this stuff for FUN???)

DaBills
01-05-2005, 06:15 PM
Here's a better question:

All things remaining equal next season, that is same O-line, same WRs, same TEs, same backs, in how many games will JP Losman be THE difference maker? More specifically; how many games will Buffalo lose DIRECTLY from his turnovers? How many will they win DIRECTLY from HIS contribution (TD drives, not FGs)?

Here's the scenario: One complaint about the teams early losses is that Bledsoe "didn't do enough" to win the game. In other words, not enought TD passes. The Bills gave up a total of 284 points to the opposition in the 16 games played (just under 18 points a game). Using the assertion that the defense and special teams "bailed Bledsoe out" in the majority of the nine wins (the stat rats can mull that one over), let's set a quota for points allowed (TDs and FGs) by the #2 defense in the League at 20 per game. We'll give the QB the benefit of the doubt and call a TD seven points, since the PAT is mostly a formality. However, if there's a failed 2-point conversion attempt, that goes against the QB (Example: JP throws 3 TD passes. Two PAT kicks are good, but a 2-point conversion fails. JP's point total would then be 7+7+6-2= 18). If the D and STs give up their 20 point allocation, JP loses, because he didn't do enough to win. Also, if the opposition scores points off a Losman turnover, all points scored come off Losman's total. Using the same situation above, except that the defense/STs allow a TD and a FG; 10 points. Losman still throws 3 TD passes, 2 PATs good, one failed 2-point conversion. A losman INT leads to a TD on the ensuing drive; PAT good. Final score (on the scoreboard) Buffalo 20- Opponent 17. That's a win, right? Not for Losman! Deduct the 7 he is now responsible for as a result of the turnover from the ones he's responsible for creating (18, remember?) and Losman loses 17-11.

Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? Kinda like winning inspite of Bledsoe, but losing because of him? By the same ground rules as noted above, Sunday's game shouldn't have mattered, since Bledsoe was only responsible for 1 TD against Cincy.

As ridiculous as all that sounds (and it IS ridiculous), the early season losses to Jacksonville and the Jets (and possibly Oakland) have all been attributed to the QB not doing enough to win. Fair enough. The QB's job is to lead the team down the field to score points, right? On the flip side of the coin, the Defense's job-as an entire unit-is to keep point OFF the board, right? Any time the opponent scores, then, is a failure, right? So, how many points (failures) is a defense allowed to give up? They allowed 22 of the 29 scored by Pittsburgh on Sunday; by mostly backups, no less. Acceptable?

(And stat rats do this stuff for FUN???)

In a Baltimore Ravens perfect world, yes a D will not give up many points at all. Short of that, Maddox was comeback player or some **** a year ago, Deuce ran strong, and Randall El is no slouch, so the D did not give up points to some hacks like most are saying. Right, now, I'd take Maddox over Drew even with Maddox's INTs. He moves an offense with similar talent better than Drew does.

As it was, the D held teams to a lot of Fg's in the redzone when others would give up potentially as many TD's in similiar situations.

helmetguy
01-05-2005, 06:35 PM
We're talking about Buffalo's D, not Cincy or Cleveland, or anybody else's. How many points SHOULD a defense allow? OUR defense allowed 22. Add the fumble/interception (whatever it was by Bledsoe) and we lost by five. Allow ZERO points, and we win by 17...WITH Bledsoe's turnover for the TD.

YardRat
01-05-2005, 07:46 PM
We're talking about Buffalo's D, not Cincy or Cleveland, or anybody else's. How many points SHOULD a defense allow? OUR defense allowed 22. Add the fumble/interception (whatever it was by Bledsoe) and we lost by five. Allow ZERO points, and we win by 17...WITH Bledsoe's turnover for the TD.
Man's got a point. Let's also not forget the game in Miami in which our top 5 defense gave up 24 first half points to players who wouldn't even be second-stringers on a team like Pittsburgh or New England, and would've been a loss if not for the offense coming to play in the second half.

It's a team game - why lay the failure to make the play-offs on one player??

The Natrix
01-05-2005, 08:03 PM
Bledsoe blows

DaBills
01-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Bledsoe blows

Well, there's always that.

Helmut - Can't answer the D question without factoring in our O's output. The two are too intertwined, This D is not so good that it could pitch shutouts or keep high scoring teams to be under what our offensive output is. I hate the ranking bull**** for defenses because it factors in everything like yards allowed, scores, To's., rushing, passing, etc.

I'd rather focus on points. if I had my choice, I would probably settle for our D giving up a FG after a long drive than a quick TD, IF I knew the O could come back and counter with a TD, or at least, match that score.

Seems like anyone that is calling out the D as having given up too many points against Pitt expects that this D is a shutdown/shutout kind of D. Maybe, if we play SF every week. Other than that, who said the D was that good anyway? I never thought Bledsoe was Peyton Manning, but I also never thought our D was the best either.

Maybe the D is being held to a very unrealistic standard given its talent level? We're asking it to be almost great. By comparison, we're asking Drew to just be average.

In theory, if we could hold teams to a shut out, then who needs the QB to throw a TD or the RB to score? Lindell would be a hero – most games that is. If we were scoring like the Colts? I could live with giving up those 24 because I would be confident that we could put 4 TDs easy.

But as it is, I think we have to realistically look at just the O's output on average, NOT any points scored by the D, and then aim for a few points below that as our defensive goal. You might think 14 pts or less allowed a game might be enough for the D, but if we're only scoring a TD and FG, we're screwed.

buffalofan19
01-05-2005, 10:00 PM
why couldn't he do that early on instead of garbage time against what was already the 3rd string defense.

remember this D held Pitts to 4 fg's in the redzone because our O led by Drew kepp turning the ball over. Let's not just blame the D here. They can't keep carrying our O every game.

D was Excellent for the most part of the season. ST was no. 1. Nuff said.To totally exuse the defense because Drew didn't play well is assinine. As was mentioned earlier, the Bills defense was ranked second in the league. Yet, they could not make a stop when they needed to. When you have the second ranked defense in the league, and you have the lead with under 2 minutes left, you are expected to make the stop... period. That's what good defenses do, bottom line the Bills did not. They also should have stopped a 2nd/3rd string offense, bottom line. No excuses there, no matter how bad the QB or the offense plays, if you have the lead that late, responsibility is on the defense uphold it. In short the defense failed to make a stop at all this year WHEN IT REALLY MATTERED.

Also, that 90+ yard drive with the Reed PI call was in the 3rd Quarter when the Bills were up 17-16. Last time I checked, that is not considered garbage time.

This is not to excuse Bledsoe's play on Sunday, it was bad (though I think how bad is exaggeratted, but that is neither here nor there. I'll take that up someplace else if you want). However, he was not the sole reason, nor would I say even mostly. Each side of the ball had a chance to win that game on Sunday, and none of them came through. Special teams (Lindell field goal, not directly but it would have kept the momentum in the Bills favor), defense (that 60+ yard run by Parker right after the missed FG to set up Pittsburgh's Go ahead FG, and not stopping 3rd and 4th downs on Pittsburghs final offesive drive), and the offense (Drew Bledsoe, namely the fumble), all had the chance to win it for the Bills and they did not. In my eyes, all three phases choked equally. I agree that the Bills have been winning mostly with special teams and defense lately, and if that's the case, then they should also be expected to take it up a notch in a big game like this, but they didn't.

Now as for Bledsoe, I can see why people want him out of here. I personally don't mind him staying . I think that he made great strides this year (regardless of what the stats say) under this coaching staff. He has had to change his game and his style because of the way defenses face him and it won't happen overnight. I think he alot better next year, especially after a season with this coaching staff, which will be more experienced. Most people have run out of patience and I can understand why, but I am not ready to give up on him after ine year in this new system. Nor do I think Tom Donahoe is either (see my signature).

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Bledsoe blows
Concise and to the point. Well put. :;

Typ0
01-05-2005, 11:58 PM

we were also another score from our pathetic offense from making the playoffs in that game. JAX was horrible that day. They were obviously not ready for prime time and still getting their sails together from the pre-season. It was the offenses failure to put the game away (as always) that cost us this game not some 4th down conversions in the 4th quarter and one TD scored against the defense. It's rediculous with the talent we have on offense to bash the defense for giving up ONE TOUCHDOWN.

In the PIT game...we lost because the defense was on the field too much. Why was the defense on the field too much? Because Drew is washed up that's why. Drew needs to be the player that fires us up and helps us get wins when the rest of the team is having troubles...not the player the rest of the team is always trying to overcome.

On our win streak we had over 20 takeaways. Either the defense or the special teams or both scored in ALL of those games. Take away the outstanding play of those two squads...and you are left with a less than mediocre DB to hand the game over to a crappy team.

I do have a lot of respect for Drew and I agree with the writer--he does deserve a shot at a title. Let another club be the one that give him that chance. With the right moves this off-season we are going to have a championship calibre team here in buffalo next year...one of the moves is to get rid of DB.

justasportsfan
01-06-2005, 07:55 AM
To totally exuse the defense because Drew didn't play well is assinine. As was mentioned earlier, the Bills defense was ranked second in the league. Yet, they could not make a stop when they needed to. When you have the second ranked defense in the league, and you have the lead with under 2 minutes left, you are expected to make the stop... period. That's what good defenses do, bottom line the Bills did not. They also should have stopped a 2nd/3rd string offense, bottom line. No excuses there, no matter how bad the QB or the offense plays, if you have the lead that late, responsibility is on the defense uphold it. In short the defense failed to make a stop at all this year WHEN IT REALLY MATTERED.

Also, that 90+ yard drive with the Reed PI call was in the 3rd Quarter when the Bills were up 17-16. Last time I checked, that is not considered garbage time.

This is not to excuse Bledsoe's play on Sunday, it was bad (though I think how bad is exaggeratted, but that is neither here nor there. I'll take that up someplace else if you want). However, he was not the sole reason, nor would I say even mostly. Each side of the ball had a chance to win that game on Sunday, and none of them came through. Special teams (Lindell field goal, not directly but it would have kept the momentum in the Bills favor), defense (that 60+ yard run by Parker right after the missed FG to set up Pittsburgh's Go ahead FG, and not stopping 3rd and 4th downs on Pittsburghs final offesive drive), and the offense (Drew Bledsoe, namely the fumble), all had the chance to win it for the Bills and they did not. In my eyes, all three phases choked equally. I agree that the Bills have been winning mostly with special teams and defense lately, and if that's the case, then they should also be expected to take it up a notch in a big game like this, but they didn't.

Now as for Bledsoe, I can see why people want him out of here. I personally don't mind him staying . I think that he made great strides this year (regardless of what the stats say) under this coaching staff. He has had to change his game and his style because of the way defenses face him and it won't happen overnight. I think he alot better next year, especially after a season with this coaching staff, which will be more experienced. Most people have run out of patience and I can understand why, but I am not ready to give up on him after ine year in this new system. Nor do I think Tom Donahoe is either (see my signature).

Our D would've been good enough for most teams to make the playoffs. I agree they should've stepped up but they have for most of the season even against playoffs teams.

Our O was averaging 13 pts when Flutie was our qb and yet we made playoffs twice. That's because he didn't make bonehead TO's that cost us games . Our D back them carried this team but our ST then wasn't even as good as what we have today. Flutie wasn't effecient but he didn't screw up the team either.

mybills
01-06-2005, 08:00 AM
ok, who keeps bumping this stupid ass thread. NO, BLINDSOE DOESN"T DESERVE ANOTHER SHOT.

justasportsfan
01-06-2005, 08:05 AM
ok, who keeps bumping this stupid ass thread. NO, BLINDSOE DOESN"T DESERVE ANOTHER SHOT.you just did.....now me by telling you.

pats-were-right
01-06-2005, 08:49 AM
fire I saw in him when he was in New England

Trust me - there wasn't any.