PDA

View Full Version : Post season vs draft picks

trapezeus
01-05-2005, 01:34 PM
So the Bills finish 9-7 and missed the playoffs. They are ranked (IN THE DRAFT)ahead of St Louis and Rams who are 8-8.

However, based on their elegibility to compete for the SB, shouldn't there be a uniform method as to how the teams are ranked for the draft? I think it's unfair that the draft rankings are based solely on records, and the playoffs are ranked differently.

Anyone with me?

ShadowHawk7
01-05-2005, 02:55 PM
me

Jan Reimers
01-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Life isn't always fair.

trapezeus
01-06-2005, 10:30 AM
That's it? Life isn't always fair? This isn't life, it's a sport. This seems to be a huge loop-hole/mistake.

Not only do you not miss the playoffs, you miss a key piece to getting better. Granted this year, it's nice, since Dallas would have taken that lower pick. But it just doesn't make sense.

I am reading from these boards, from sports writers and tv shows, there is the rumblings that the best 12 teams should make the playoffs. Not just the 6 best from the AFC and NFC. They would preserve that the top team in each division get a spot, but in times when the AFC or NFC is significantly better, you'd see the better teams fighting. IT makes sense to me.

If the league thinks that too much of a radical change, then they should simply address the draft by saying all the teams that miss the playoffs get based solely on strength of schedule and record, and the other 12 teams that are in the playoffs get in based on how the brackets play out. That seems more fair and helps keep the "parity" that the league enjoys so much.

don137
01-06-2005, 10:34 AM
I am sure the fans and sponsors would rather see the best 12 make the playoffs. there really isn't much excitement seeing the NFC wild card teams play since they are lucky to be their and not are not expected to do anything.