• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • northernbillfan
    Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Hype killed us

We fans got caught up in the hype about the Bills being the best damn team in the NFL in the last few weeks of the season. All the prognosticators were saying Buffalo was the most dangerous team going into the post season. They also said they didn't want to be the team that faced them in the playoffs. We caught that fever and ran with it leading to our disappointment on Sunday.

As fans we were hyped up beyond the teams ability and failed to realize that the team was not that much better than the 0-4 team that started the season. We won games against very weak teams and looked great heading into the playoffs.

I for one did not get too upset when we lost to Pittsburgh and actually breathed a sigh of relief as it was better than facing embarrassment on national Tee Vee once again. Indy would have chewed the Bills up and spit them out.
    When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

• Shasta McNasty
    • Feb 2003

You never know. We were suppose to kill Pitt. Ind would kills us, right? Thats why they play the game.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
      Maybe?
      • Oct 2003

You bring up a good point, although I think the players bought into the hype more than anyone. I think they thought they would walk all over Pitt, which is MM's fault as well for not keeping them grounded.

Comment

• BSXIII
        Never trust a man wearing a sombrero
        • Apr 2004

Saying hype did them in is on the right track, but not completely fair in my opinion. The Bills started the season as one of the worst teams in the league. As the season went on, they made adjustments and played better each week. However, they were improving against weaker teams, and in a way may have picked up some bad habits as they excelled at doing certain things against those teams, that they would not be able to do against the better teams in the league. And backups or not, Pittsburgh is a pretty damn good team. They outplayed us in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Against Pittsburgh, the things that had worked so well for the Bills during the streak just weren't happening. Every team that played the Steeler's this year came out singing the same song. And yes I realize the Bills played against mainly backups, but give credit where it's due, the Steeler's are the real deal. They ended the Pats 20+ game win streak on Halloween by blowing them out, then destroyed Philly the next week. They had some injuries all season, and their backups were able to come in without the rest of the team losing a beat. They are just a tight team.

If the Bills had another game I'm sure they would have came back even stronger then before, just like they had all season. Unfortunately, because of their slow start they don't. The team has a lot to build on and very well could be one of the leagues elite teams next year.
        I'm a long time lurker

Comment

• jamze132
          Don’t hate…
          • Jun 2003

Hype didn't kill us, Lindel did.

Comment

• Typ0
            honey pie
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by northernbillfan
            We fans got caught up in the hype about the Bills being the best damn team in the NFL in the last few weeks of the season. All the prognosticators were saying Buffalo was the most dangerous team going into the post season. They also said they didn't want to be the team that faced them in the playoffs. We caught that fever and ran with it leading to our disappointment on Sunday.

As fans we were hyped up beyond the teams ability and failed to realize that the team was not that much better than the 0-4 team that started the season. We won games against very weak teams and looked great heading into the playoffs.

I for one did not get too upset when we lost to Pittsburgh and actually breathed a sigh of relief as it was better than facing embarrassment on national Tee Vee once again. Indy would have chewed the Bills up and spit them out.
            Not all of us got caught up in the hype of beating crappy teams by grabbing over 4 turnovers a game. Just wanted to point that out .

Comment

• helmetguy
              Touch the helmet for luck
              • Sep 2002

Coy Wire wasn't sure the team took the game as seriously as they should have, either. At least that's the way it sounded in the interview they played on WGR last night. Sam Gash alluded to the same thing yesterday morning.
              Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
              And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

Working...
              X