PDA

View Full Version : The Weakest Link

Turf
01-05-2005, 04:18 PM
The weakest link on the Bills team is the QB, by far.

Think about it. The defense is way above average across the board with the exception of DE, but that's not killing us.

The offense. The Line still needs work. Moulds and Evans are slightly above average if nothing else, and the RB situation is good.

Where do we lack the most? Clearly at QB when you objectively look at the roster and stats. Especially performance under pressure.

Not a shot at Drew neccessarily, but overall this is a football team stacked defensively, moderately offensive, and just plain weak at QB.

I'm not going to rehash Drew's obvious shortcomings, or his lack of future potential at his age. But anyone that knows football and watched this team cannot doubt this.

Weakest areas:

QB
Offensive Line
Kicker
TE
DE
WR/CB

After that its gravy.

Strongest positions:

LB
DT
Punter
Safeties
RB

Why did we fail this year? QB, the weakest link.

How can we improve?

Better offensive line and a new QB. Doing anything else and keeping this QB and offensive line as it is will yield the same exact dissapointing result next year, which namely is underachieving.

The Natrix
01-05-2005, 07:31 PM
I agree. Ditch Bledsoe, try and retain our own, draft some OL and start JP.

ScottLawrence
01-05-2005, 07:34 PM
I don't think WR is a weak spot on this team at all.

Either is CB, IMO.(McGee has struggled but, he will be a great starting corner in the near future)

YardRat
01-05-2005, 07:36 PM
I'm willing to risk it and see how the Bills of the last 10 games of the 2004 season start out 2005 with Bledsoe at the helm.

We were so close this year, are you willing to take a step back by starting Losman right from the first snap next year? Bledsoe is known, Losman is unknown.

Are you willing to risk another losing season simply to make a a change at QB?

FTG
01-05-2005, 07:41 PM
We were so close this year, are you willing to take a step back by starting Losman right from the first snap next year? Bledsoe is known, Losman is unknown.

That is EXACTLY why most Bills fans think we should go with Losman next year. What we know about Bledsoe we don't like

BuffBills333
01-05-2005, 07:43 PM
Corner back and WR are not weak points. Evans is clearly going to be a top NFL receiver and Moulds already is a pro-bowler, what else could you want?

ScottLawrence
01-05-2005, 07:50 PM
I'm willing to risk it and see how the Bills of the last 10 games of the 2004 season start out 2005 with Bledsoe at the helm.

Are you willing to risk another losing season simply to make a a change at QB?

So why would you go with Bledsoe in 2005?

He will get you no where, hes proven that.

YardRat
01-05-2005, 08:01 PM
That is EXACTLY why most Bills fans think we should go with Losman next year. What we know about Bledsoe we don't like
What do you know about Losman that makes you think he would fare any better than Drew as a starter? What evidence has Losman given that he would give the Bills a better shot at winning than Bledsoe?

Losman has the physical tools, does he have the mental ones? You can't find out without playing him, I realize, but are you willing to risk an entire season finding out whether or not he can or can't?

There's a chance Losman will turn out to be a better QB than Bledsoe. There's an equal chance that Losman turns out to be another Todd Collins. Is now the time to pull the trigger and take a gamble like that?

What if Losman craps the bed? Do other players get disgusted and leave via free agency in waves, and once again you're back to re-building an entire team because of an irreversible decision made at the QB position?

Bledsoe should start next year, and Mularkey should be quicker to pull him and insert Losman if Drew's playing poorly; and, Mularkey should be more liberal with Losman's playing time, giving him more opportunities to get experience, but under no circumstances, IMO, should Bledsoe be cut loose and the starting job handed over to JP.

We know the team can win games with Bledsoe (9-7, 8-2 over last 10), even if he appears to be playing poorly. We don't know whether or not they can do the same with Losman, although the possibility exists that we may do better.

Why risk it when having both QB's on the roster gives the team basically the best of both worlds, and the best opportunity to win??

YardRat
01-05-2005, 08:03 PM
So why would you go with Bledsoe in 2005?

He will get you no where, hes proven that.
"We know the team can win games with Bledsoe (9-7, 8-2 over last 10), even if he appears to be playing poorly. We don't know whether or not they can do the same with Losman, although the possibility exists that we may do better.

Why risk it when having both QB's on the roster gives the team basically the best of both worlds, and the best opportunity to win??"

FTG
01-05-2005, 08:08 PM
What do you know about Losman that makes you think he would fare any better than Drew as a starter? What evidence has Losman given that he would give the Bills a better shot at winning than Bledsoe?

??

What evidence do you have he won't? We know what we have with Drew. A guy that chokes whenever a big game comes. I don't know we will fare better with Losman but I'm willing to take the chance. I don't believe Drew can do any better than get us to the playoffs and then choke in the first round. Thats not good enough for me

BuffBills333
01-05-2005, 08:42 PM

Losman has the physical tools, does he have the mental ones? You can't find out without playing him, I realize, but are you willing to risk an entire season finding out whether or not he can or can't?

There's a chance Losman will turn out to be a better QB than Bledsoe. There's an equal chance that Losman turns out to be another Todd Collins. Is now the time to pull the trigger and take a gamble like that?

What if Losman craps the bed? Do other players get disgusted and leave via free agency in waves, and once again you're back to re-building an entire team because of an irreversible decision made at the QB position?

Bledsoe should start next year, and Mularkey should be quicker to pull him and insert Losman if Drew's playing poorly; and, Mularkey should be more liberal with Losman's playing time, giving him more opportunities to get experience, but under no circumstances, IMO, should Bledsoe be cut loose and the starting job handed over to JP.

We know the team can win games with Bledsoe (9-7, 8-2 over last 10), even if he appears to be playing poorly. We don't know whether or not they can do the same with Losman, although the possibility exists that we may do better.

Why risk it when having both QB's on the roster gives the team basically the best of both worlds, and the best opportunity to win??
If they both give the best of both worlds why not use Losman next year and then 2006 will be successful too. Losman cannot make too many worse throws than Bledsoe did and Evans will be even better than his great performance this year so that will help. McGahee will also be even better than this year which is amazing, so Losman won't have it too hard. Offensive line might even be better with some new pickups or just because they improved (look at 6 game win streak). Bledsoe can't win big games so even if Drew did start, and did make the playoffs by beating all the bad teams and losing both games to teams like the Pats, he certainly won't get them past the first round.

Turf
01-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Just to clarify something, my order of strengths and weaknessess was meant to be taken as a ranking. In other words WR/CB at the bottom is the least weakness, though maybe not a strength, borderline maybe.
Look at the orders as a ranking from top to bottom. I should have mentioned this was my intent.

YardRat
01-06-2005, 04:41 AM
If they both give the best of both worlds why not use Losman next year and then 2006 will be successful too. Losman cannot make too many worse throws than Bledsoe did and Evans will be even better than his great performance this year so that will help. McGahee will also be even better than this year which is amazing, so Losman won't have it too hard. Offensive line might even be better with some new pickups or just because they improved (look at 6 game win streak). Bledsoe can't win big games so even if Drew did start, and did make the playoffs by beating all the bad teams and losing both games to teams like the Pats, he certainly won't get them past the first round.
You're assuming Losman is going to be successful to a certain point.

What if Losman can't read defenses, and thus can't get the ball to Evans? What if our passing game doesn't go at all with JP running the show and opposing defenses load 8-9 guys in the box to stop McGahee? How effective will our o-line be if JP doesn't make the right reads at the right time, or if the running game gets shut down because of numbers?