PDA

View Full Version : How much do you think we can get for Drew?

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Discuss.

Gunzlingr
01-05-2005, 04:33 PM
a peanut shell and a bad case of gonorhea.

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 04:36 PM
a peanut shell and a bad case of gonorhea. :lmao:

This was supposed to be serious, but that was funny.

FTG
01-05-2005, 04:37 PM
A stomach ache

Mudflap1
01-05-2005, 04:42 PM
There aren't many good veteran quarterbacks out there. 2nd or 3rd? Maybe higher if he's packaged with Henry, picks, some other guys like Reed, Prioleau, or a combination of the above.

Jon

THATHURMANATOR
01-05-2005, 04:43 PM
Probably nothing. We would have to cut him to get rid of him.

THATHURMANATOR
01-05-2005, 04:43 PM
There aren't many good veteran quarterbacks out there. 2nd or 3rd? Maybe higher if he's packaged with Henry, picks, some other guys like Reed, Prioleau, or a combination of the above.

Jon

No way.

Henry is the only person in that group you metioned that has any value. Drew's huge contract makes him very hard to trade at all.

Mudflap1
01-05-2005, 04:45 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think Drew has a huge contract anymore after he took a pay cut. Does anybody have that information? I believe $3.3 mill a year or so, that's very competitive for a starting quarterback.

Jon

FTG
01-05-2005, 04:46 PM

Jon

I wish you were a NFL GM in need of a QB :D

Mr. Cynical
Drew's huge contract makes him very hard to trade at all.
Unfortunately it wasn't hard for Robert Kraft. :(

ScottLawrence
Nah.

I think Dallas would give us something for him. Probably at best, a 4th or 5th round pick.

FTG
01-05-2005, 04:47 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think Drew has a huge contract anymore after he took a pay cut. Does anybody have that information? I believe $3.3 mill a year or so, that's very competitive for a starting quarterback.

Jon

There is the problem. Besides TD I don't think there are any NFL guys that look at Drew as a starting QB anymore

Iehoshua
01-05-2005, 04:48 PM

Our QB situation was so desperate at that point we all thought Drew would be the 'Savior' but unfortunately, like the 'Savior' that used to post here, both are frauds.
:snicker:

Mudflap1
01-05-2005, 04:49 PM
He's better than Testaverde and Henson. He went to the Super Bowl with Parcells, who loves him. Dallas is an ideal destination.

However, I think they could get more than a 4th or 5th round pick. We'll see.

Jon

FTG
01-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Nah.

I think Dallas would give us something for him. Probably at best, a 4th or 5th round pick.

If that was the case TD should take that and run

THATHURMANATOR
01-05-2005, 04:50 PM

That was qb 3 years younger also.

ScottLawrence
01-05-2005, 04:50 PM
If that was the case TD should take that and run

No doubt.

Donahoe's ego is to big for that though :winkpunch

THATHURMANATOR
01-05-2005, 04:52 PM
He's better than Testaverde and Henson. He went to the Super Bowl with Parcells, who loves him. Dallas is an ideal destination.

However, I think they could get more than a 4th or 5th round pick. We'll see.

Jon

Parcells may Like drew but I doubt we get more than a 4th. They have Henson who they just gave up a lot to get. I think they are looking at him for next year.

This is also under the assumption that TD would even try to trade Drew. I still won't be pissed if he is on the team as long as there is an equal competition between He and JP to start.

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 04:56 PM
That was qb 3 years younger also.
Agreed, and I was on the bandwagon welcoming him here. But...I'm not an "expert" getting paid to make those decisions...I'm just a dumb board poster who doesn't know any better. :;

Mudflap1
01-05-2005, 04:59 PM
Let's try something here... Let's compare Drew to the starters on all the teams. I think you'll find out that a lot of the guys out there blow more than Bledsoe.

Buffalo -- Bledsoe
NE -- Brady, he's better than Bledsoe
Miami -- Feeley, he's worse
NY Jets -- Pennington, he's better, but injury-proned
Baltimore -- Boller, way worse
Pitt -- Roethlisberger, he's better
Cincy -- Palmer, tossup. Might have more upside, but had worse record THIS year
Cleveland -- Garcia, he's worse
Indy -- Manning, he's better
Jax -- Leftwich, he's better
Tennessee -- McNair, he's better, but always hurt
Houston -- Carr, strong upside, but as of yet, not better
KC -- Green, he's better
Denver -- Plummer, he's worse
Oakland -- Collins, he's worse
San Diego -- Brees, he's better, but only this year. Was way worse before
Philly -- McNabb, he's better
NY Giants -- Manning, he's worse. Strong upside, but not close yet
Dallas -- Testaverde, way worse
Washington -- Ramsey/Brunell, worse
New Orleans -- Brooks, tossup, and that's generous to Brooks
Tampa Bay -- Griese, worse
Carolina -- Delhomme, better
Atlanta -- Vick, better
Minnesota -- Culpepper, better
Chicago -- Grossman, worse
Green Bay -- Favre, better
Detroit -- Harrington, worse
San Francisco -- do they even have a quarterback??
Seattle -- Hasselbeck, supposedly better, didn't show it this year
St. Louis -- Bulger, supposedly better, didn't show it this year
Arizona -- McCown, way worse

He's right in the middle, if you go with this. There are 15 better.

Should we start comparing Losman with this group? I think he wouldn't crack outside of the worst three.

Jon

Mudflap1
01-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Parcells hates Henson from what I understand. He refused to play him even though their season was canned. Jones wanted to play Henson, and Parcells wouldn't, which caused a riff between Jones and Parcells.

Personally, I don't think Bledsoe is going to be moved.

Jon

jamze132
01-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Lets try to squeeze a 7th rounder out of SF for Henry, Bledsoe, and Lindel, that way we could have the 1st overall pick in that round.

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 05:13 PM
Let's try something here... Let's compare Drew to the starters on all the teams. I think you'll find out that a lot of the guys out there blow more than Bledsoe.

Buffalo -- Bledsoe
KC -- Green, he's better
Atlanta -- Vick, better

Should we start comparing Losman with this group? I think he wouldn't crack outside of the worst three.

Jon Good list, although I disagree with the following:

Baltimore -- Boller, way worse. I think it's a bit early yet on Kyle.
Cleveland -- Garcia, he's worse. I'd say equal - both have serious shortcomings but at least Garcia can buy time with his legs.
Oakland -- Collins, he's worse. Have you seen him play lately?
Dallas -- Testaverde, way worse. I'd say equal, but maybe give Drew the edge if there is a concrete wall in front of him and all the start align.
Cincy -- Palmer, tossup. Might have more upside, but had worse record THIS year. I think Palmer is better.
Houston -- Carr, strong upside, but as of yet, not better. He's better.

As for comparing JP, you can't. He hasn't had the chance yet. Only after a season of play can we have anything to judge.

FTG
01-05-2005, 05:14 PM

Buffalo -- Bledsoe
KC -- Green, he's better
Atlanta -- Vick, better

Jon

You're waaaaaaaaay to genorous to Bledsoe in those comparasions. There may be 5 guys worse than him and thats stretching it and there is no sense trying to rate Losman on that list until he gets a chance to play

FTG
01-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Good list, although I disagree with the following:

Cleveland -- Garcia, he's worse. I'd say equal - both have serious shortcomings but at least Garcia can buy time with his legs.
Dallas -- Testaverde, way worse. I'd say equal, but maybe give Drew the edge if there is a concrete wall in front of him and all the start align.
Cincy -- Palmer, tossup. Might have more upside, but had worse record THIS year. I think Palmer is better.

As for comparing JP, you can't. He hasn't had the chance yet. Only after a season of play can we have anything to judge.

The Amigos are starting to read eachothers minds :snicker:

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 05:19 PM
Also need to compare his money relative to the others on that list. I think he is in the top 10 money, but clearly in the bottom third of the league as a QB.

The_Philster
01-05-2005, 05:23 PM
coming off this season, not much I'm afraid...though maybe more than we would've gotten last year

FTG
01-05-2005, 05:26 PM
coming off this season, not much I'm afraid...though maybe more than we would've gotten last year

HATER :D

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 05:28 PM
I think Dallas might just be the place for him given Parcell's penchant for bringing in his "old boys", e.g., Vinny, Glenn, Keyshawn. If Vinny leaves or retires, my bet is that IF Drew is traded, that is where he goes. What we will get for him however is another matter. I really, truly have no idea.

Mudflap1
01-05-2005, 05:31 PM

Baltimore had the same record, the rest had worse records. If you pin the Bills' inability to get in the playoffs largely on Drew, then you have to pin the same things on these guys.

Dallas was 10-6 last year, 6-10 this year with Vinny and he's equal?
Garcia? What did he last 3 plays with the Bills? They were 4-12...
Collins? Yeah, I've seen him play. What was their record again?
Carr? He's had a losing record his whole career...
Baltimore? If they had a chimp in at quarterback they would've won 10 games...

You said it's a bit early on Kyle. If you are suggesting we go beyond this year and talk about who is the better quarterback OVER THEIR CAREER, then Bledsoe moves WAY up the list on all of these guys! I was suggesting that he had a mediocre year over the course of a good career, but only compared him THIS YEAR to these other guys...

I respect your opinion, but respectfully disagree.

Jon

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 05:46 PM

Baltimore had the same record, the rest had worse records. If you pin the Bills' inability to get in the playoffs largely on Drew, then you have to pin the same things on these guys.

Dallas was 10-6 last year, 6-10 this year with Vinny and he's equal?
Garcia? What did he last 3 plays with the Bills? They were 4-12...
Collins? Yeah, I've seen him play. What was their record again?
Carr? He's had a losing record his whole career...
Baltimore? If they had a chimp in at quarterback they would've won 10 games.

I respect your opinion, but respectfully disagree.

Jon To quote from The DLC Handbook, Page 24, Paragraph 3: "It is a team game."

:;

You have to look at the entire picture to see how the QB impacted the record.

Does Dallas have the #2 defense and top rated ST to bail Vinny out? No.
How long has Houston been in the league? 3 years, and their record has improved every year. Not to mention Carr is ranked 16th and Drew 25th in QB rating.
Oakland's leading rusher has 425 yards. Try to win games with that and a defense ranked 30th in the league.
If Baltimore can win with a chimp, yet our defense, special teams and offense are ranked higher, what's the reason we are sitting?

I guess we agree to disagree. :D

Mudflap1
01-05-2005, 06:01 PM
I agree it's a team game, that's my whole logic. You can't have it both ways where it's almost entirely Bledsoe's fault, the rest of the team is great, but every other team with a crappy quarterback has "team problems." The TE's, wide receivers (outside of Moulds and Evans), and the line were a great supporting cast, weren't they?

Does Bledsoe deserve blame? Yeah. Does he deserve a good amount of it? Yeah. Does every other quarterback that has struggled this year deserve a 'get out of jail free' card? No.

Baltimore has a much better run offense and offensive line than Buffalo.
Dallas has virtually the same personnel back from a playoff team last year, but was 6-10, with a very good young running back, receivers, and an offensive line.

Houston's an expansion team, but they have a lot of young talent. It's not all Carr's fault, but they have had a losing record.

Oakland was 6-10, we were 9-7. Buffalo was 6-10 last year with similar personnel. Bledsoe bettered his game this year, and we got another good receiver. We're 9-7 now.

You guys can't have it both ways, you have to put everything in perspective. Is he great? No, but there are plenty that are worse. Remember, we were NINE and SEVEN -- winning record, with a mediocre line, no 3rd receiver, no tight end, and a crappy kicker. It's not all Bledsoe's fault. And put Losman in there too soon (if he's even got it -- a big "IF"), and it will be a disaster.

Jon

G. Host
01-05-2005, 06:15 PM
Discuss.

Nothing. The talent evaluators in the league have read your writings in multiple sources and have decided that the Dredsoe is worst QB in NFL, CFL, XFL, NFLE and pee wee football. The Bills are waiting for all of the Bledsoe jerseys in stock to sell out before they cut him. Rumor is the players have all agreed to take salary cuts just to make sure Bills can afford him even those who will no longer be with Bills.

:bandwagon :jk:

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 06:26 PM
And put Losman in there too soon (if he's even got it -- a big "IF"), and it will be a disaster.

Jon
We will never know unless they put him in. What we do know is that Drew hasn't been able to get it done for (insert reasons here) 3 years. You have to start somewhere, and he is the biggest piece to replace.

BillsFever21
01-05-2005, 06:34 PM
It would cost a 3rd rounder for Bledsoe.

But instead of giving another team a 3rd round pick to take him it would be cheaper to just cut him instead.

Ickybaluky
01-05-2005, 06:36 PM
Oakland -- Collins, he's worse.

Actually, Collins and Drew are the same player. I actually think the two were separated at birth or something.

Mudflap1
01-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Yeah, I'll go with a push on those two. Fair enough.

Jon

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 06:54 PM
Actually, Collins and Drew are the same player. I actually think the two were separated at birth or something.
Actually Mudflap said he was worse. I said he's been playing pretty decently lately and say it's a coin flip. Although given the choice...and the right price...I'd still take Collins at this point. Reason - fresh start. Drew has to much baggage here.

G. Host
01-05-2005, 07:20 PM
Actually Mudflap said he was worse. I said he's been playing pretty decently lately and say it's a coin flip. Although given the choice...and the right price...I'd still take Collins at this point. Reason - fresh start. Drew has to much baggage here.

Yes I think Bledsoe has too much baggage here but does that mean the baggage will follow Drew to Oakland or Arizona if he went there? The Amigos sounds like a group that would enjoy Hispanic areas. If so trade! :jk:

BuffBills333
01-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Buffalo -- Bledsoe
NE -- Brady, Way better
Miami -- Feeley, worse
NY Jets -- Pennington, Better
Baltimore -- Boller, Worse
Cincy -- Palmer, Better
Cleveland -- Garcia, Better is on bad team
Indy -- Manning, Better
Jax -- Leftwich, Better
Tennessee -- McNair, Better
Houston -- Carr, Better
KC -- Green, Better
Denver -- Plummer, Better
Oakland -- Collins, worse, but Ganon is better
San Diego -- Brees, Better
Philly -- McNabb, Better
NY Giants -- Manning, Worse for now
Dallas -- Testaverde, Worse
Washington -- Ramsey/Brunell, Worse
New Orleans -- Brooks, Better
Tampa Bay -- Griese, Worse
Carolina -- Delhomme, Better
Atlanta -- Vick, Better
Minnesota -- Culpepper, Better
Chicago -- Grossman, Worse
Green Bay -- Favre, Better
Detroit -- Harrington, Worse
San Francisco -- Tim Rattay, Worse
Seattle -- Hasselbeck, Better
St. Louis -- Bulger, Better
Arizona -- McCown, Worse

How can u say Bulger and Hasselback didnt show it this year when they both won the big games that Drew simply can't win?

I see it as Drew being the 21st best out of 32, but his passer rating is 25th best out of these qbs, so i must be generous despite how much i want to get rid of him.

YardRat
01-05-2005, 07:31 PM
Bledsoe is going to be here next year, might as well get used to the idea. TD and MM don't strike me as people that are going to put an unproven such as Losman in charge of a team that is getting so close to making an actual run at the Super Bowl.

Big Ben and the Steelers aren't conference champions by Cowher's choice, remeber, but rather by injury to Maddox. Unfavorable events led to a favorable outcome in Pittsburgh, not coaching genius.

Why aren't people railing on Nate Clements and asking for him to be traded the way they are Bledsoe? Clements gave up the fourth-down and forever against Jacksonville...Clements fumbled the punt early against Pittsburgh...Clements got turned and burned on the first touchdown against the Steelers.

Should we dump Nate for a third-rounder, also??

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 09:50 PM
Nate intercepted a pass and returned it for a TD. He also was a primary contributor in making the D #2. He made mistakes, no doubt. But getting rid of him for those mistakes would be like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Mudflap1
01-05-2005, 09:55 PM
We'll see how spectacular Hasselbeck and Bulger are in the playoffs. If memory serves correctly, they had spectacular appearances last year in crunch time. Oh yeah, what were their records this year compared to the Bills? Who played better head to head?

Look guys, to be honest, it's very uncomfortable for me to be defending Bledsoe like this. I just believe there are more problems outside of him. No, he ain't the greatest, but there are other needs on this team too, it's not a one man show...

Jon

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 10:02 PM
No one said there aren't other needs on the team. But let's face it - the D finished #2, and the ST finished in the top 5. They aren't perfect but I'll take those rankings every day of the week.

So that leaves the offense as the area (overall) with the most needs. RB is set. WR is set (unless Moulds leaves). TE is iffy but I think Euhus is going to pan out. So that leaves the oline and QB. We need to fix both. We already have the fix for QB - TD spent our #2 and #5 to move up to get JP. It's a done deal. He just needs to play now to see if he was worth it. Drew had his shot and we didn't get there. Nothing personal against him. It is just the way it goes.

ScottLawrence
01-05-2005, 10:20 PM
No one said there aren't other needs on the team. But let's face it - the D finished #2, and the ST finished in the top 5. They aren't perfect but I'll take those rankings every day of the week.

So that leaves the offense as the area (overall) with the most needs. RB is set. WR is set (unless Moulds leaves). TE is iffy but I think Euhus is going to pan out. So that leaves the oline and QB. We need to fix both. We already have the fix for QB - TD spent our #2 and #5 to move up to get JP. It's a done deal. He just needs to play now to see if he was worth it. Drew had his shot and we didn't get there. Nothing personal against him. It is just the way it goes.

YUP.

And, the offensive line made great leaps compared to last year.

If Jennings resigns, I'd say our only gap on the offensive line, is Left Guard.

If JP can just do what Bledsoe did for us this year with a little mix of his athletic ability to scramble and create yards, this team could still go places next year, IMO.

unpaid_bills
01-05-2005, 10:26 PM
a peanut shell and a bad case of gonorhea.
I was thinking we could get the "runs".

Mudflap1
01-05-2005, 10:48 PM
Mr. C,

I'm on board with what you are saying, but I disagree slightly. Yes, the D and ST are very solid, we're in good shape there. The line has improved -- but only from being BAD to being average. We still need to upgrade at LG and LT in my opinion there. Starting WR's are solid, but we have no 3rd or 4th guy to throw to.

As for Euhus, I like him too, but his injury isn't the easiest to come back from. I'd feel a helluva lot better if they got a pass catching tight end. If they keep Drew around, a good tight end that can catch will only help. That goes for JP too.

As for JP, yes, I agree, the team has made a big commitment in him to be the next quarterback. We'll see if he's ready. I don't think so yet. He just looked REALLY green to me out there this year. Time will tell. I'd love to be the first guy to eat my words if he came out like a ball of fire and won the job next year and didn't look back. I just have a bad feeling about him, that's why maybe we don't have much of a choice but to keep Bledsoe for now, upgrade the TE position, upgrade the line, and get a legitimate 3rd receiver.

Jon

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 11:29 PM
Mr. C,

I'm on board with what you are saying, but I disagree slightly. Yes, the D and ST are very solid, we're in good shape there. The line has improved -- but only from being BAD to being average. We still need to upgrade at LG and LT in my opinion there. Starting WR's are solid, but we have no 3rd or 4th guy to throw to.

As for Euhus, I like him too, but his injury isn't the easiest to come back from. I'd feel a helluva lot better if they got a pass catching tight end. If they keep Drew around, a good tight end that can catch will only help. That goes for JP too.

As for JP, yes, I agree, the team has made a big commitment in him to be the next quarterback. We'll see if he's ready. I don't think so yet. He just looked REALLY green to me out there this year. Time will tell. I'd love to be the first guy to eat my words if he came out like a ball of fire and won the job next year and didn't look back. I just have a bad feeling about him, that's why maybe we don't have much of a choice but to keep Bledsoe for now, upgrade the TE position, upgrade the line, and get a legitimate 3rd receiver.

Jon I don't disagree with what you are saying - TE, line and maybe a 3rd WR are all legimate areas. You can even add a kicker to that list, and maybe a DE. But that's all independent to the question of Drew. Keeping Drew has nothing to do with those other needs. In fact, I would argue that dumping Drew actually helps those other needs since we could most definitely get a cheaper vet for similar (or better) performance and spend the extra savings on those other players. He was ranked 25th and making top 10 money. That needs to be remedied.

Unlike you however, I don't think "yet another TE/WR/Olineman/etc" is going to make him a winner. This has been going on for many years, and not just in Buffalo. His best years are long gone and it is time to stop trying to build the "perfect team" around him. He's just not worth it. Better to get a solid vet to backup JP in case he doesn't cut it.

Mudflap1
01-06-2005, 12:39 AM
All legitimate points. I guess my gut feeling though is I just don't think he's going anywhere. We'll see though. If he does, we'll probably see Kordell Stewart, since his best years were with Mularkey and Clements.

Jon

The_Philster
01-06-2005, 03:04 AM
All legitimate points. I guess my gut feeling though is I just don't think he's going anywhere. We'll see though. If he does, we'll probably see Kordell Stewart, since his best years were with Mularkey and Clements.

Jon

:puke:

Dantheman1280
01-06-2005, 08:48 AM
we could get a conditional 9th rounder for him, or maybe NFL europe and The Bills could work out a deal?!?!?

Jayhawk
01-06-2005, 09:23 AM
maybe a bag of kicking tees and a waterboy to be named later

TedMock
01-06-2005, 09:44 AM
At this point I'm willing to take a starting left guard and/or a mid-low pick for Bledsoe, or Henry. Bledsoe can start somewhere, but it would be more of a stop-gap for a year. A team like Dallas would be a natural fit because Parcells is familiar with him. He's too old to be considered an "answer" at this point, and his salary is too high to get a ton in return. He's going to be in the same position somewhere else as he'd be here, so I don't see him moving. He'll be the starter here for one more season, then retire. He'll probably accept a paycut because the circumstance will be exactly the same somewhere else, so why bother moving at this point?

Marvelous
01-06-2005, 10:12 AM
My first thought is we would get nothing and will have to cut him. But GM's might see things a lil different. Like he is a system QB etc. Lets hope someone bites regardless of compensation.

Mudflap1
01-06-2005, 10:28 AM
I don't particularly want to see him stay either, or see Kordell Stewart, but you have to think like the General Manager (our Wizard) thinks.

Can't you see him doing one or the other, and not anything else?

Jon

pats-were-right
01-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Parcells, who loves him.

Nope.

FTG
01-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Nope.

I agree. I don't know where everyone gets the idea Parcells is in love with Drew

Mr. Cynical
01-06-2005, 02:14 PM
I don't think he is in love with Drew, but would you have said he was in love with Keyshawn or Glenn? He brought those two there.

pats-were-right
01-06-2005, 02:34 PM
I don't think he is in love with Drew, but would you have said he was in love with Keyshawn or Glenn? He brought those two there.

Actually he and Keyshawn, oddly enough, were buddies, and he warmed up to Glenn the one seasn he had him. As for Drew, on the other hand, I sat through the whole '95 season in which "3rd year starter" Drew had the worst year of his career. There was no love there. The words "stupid son of a b-tch" come to mind.

BillsOwnAll
01-06-2005, 02:57 PM
how cna you compare losman to this guys? he didnt play enough.

TedMock
01-06-2005, 03:16 PM
I agree. I don't know where everyone gets the idea Parcells is in love with Drew

I don't think Parcells is in love with Drew, by any stretch. Parcells does seem to like familiarity, though. Look at a good handful of his current players, and former players that are now coaching with him. Although, that may change after this season!

G. Host
01-06-2005, 05:51 PM

Neither the Defense nor ST are "solid". Both have serious problems against better opposing teams. But both are improving from previous years which is a good sign.

Mr. Cynical
01-06-2005, 06:13 PM
Neither the Defense nor ST are "solid". Both have serious problems against better opposing teams. But both are improving from previous years which is a good sign.
You don't consider a #2 ranked D as "solid"? And I here I thought *I* was the cynical one around here. :;