PDA

View Full Version : Why does the 2005 quarterback have to be.....

ScottLawrence
01-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Look im all for JP Losman and Totally against Drew Bledsoe in 2005.

But, if the COACHING STAFF does not think JP Losman is ready to lead the team in 2005, why does the next option have to be Bledsoe?

I was thinking, at the end of the 49ers game, JP Losman attempted 0 passes in a whole bunch of plays, when Matthews came in he threw 3 passes on only 7 plays.

Another tidbit from the game, there was a play where Losman was called for illegal procedure for sending a WR into motion while one of the lineman was still getting into his stance.....That tells me that Losman can't even be trusted to run a play that sends a man in motion because you don't no if he is going to screw it up or not.

Look, im sure we all want better QB play next year, but are we sure Losman can do that for us?

After seeing the coaching staff turn to Losman to just hand off the ball and burn the clock, I don't think the coaching staff thinks he is ready and will be ready next year.

IMO, there are better QB's that will be available in free agency or after june 1st cuts.

To Name a few:

Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson, Jeff Garcia?

cordog
01-05-2005, 09:45 PM
If Losman isnt the man, itll have to be Bledsoe. Hes under contract, itll cost us close to a mil to cut him plus another 2-3 mill to bring someone in.
With this D, an addition to the O-Line and McGahee, I think Losman can get it done. Big Ben only threw more than 20 passes in a game 2 or 3 times. We dont need him to be winging the ball around 30 times. If Kyle Boller can do it, i have faith JP can also.

OpIv37
01-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson, Jeff Garcia?

are these guys really any better than Bledsoe? They're all just as old (Gannon much older) and they don't know the Bills' system. Brad Johnson just sucks and Jeff Garcia is no better in big games than Bledsoe- if we needed a QB desperately I wouldn't mind Garcia or Gannon (for example, if we were Dolphins fans). But I honestly think I'm more comfortable with letting Bledsoe and Losman fight for it than bringing in any of those three.

Typ0
01-05-2005, 09:50 PM
I think it will cost us 600K to cut the loser loose....and his salary is something like 2.5 mil...so we will actually be saving close to 2 mil on the cap by letting him go that can be applied to another QB. See you Drew. Thanks for the bad times.

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 09:53 PM
This will be JP's second year. TD went after him as the franchise QB. In this day and age you have to get him playing ASAP before his 4 year contract is up. If he doesn't play until hie 3rd year, he will already be in a position to negotiate after only one season. We need to see what we have sooner than later IMO next year is the time.

ScottLawrence
01-05-2005, 09:57 PM
are these guys really any better than Bledsoe? They're all just as old (Gannon much older) and they don't know the Bills' system. Brad Johnson just sucks and Jeff Garcia is no better in big games than Bledsoe- if we needed a QB desperately I wouldn't mind Garcia or Gannon (for example, if we were Dolphins fans). But I honestly think I'm more comfortable with letting Bledsoe and Losman fight for it than bringing in any of those three.

Its not about age with Bledsoe.

Do Gannon and Garcia have a history of losing, and being at there worse when playing the better teams in the league?

No they don't.

ScottLawrence
01-05-2005, 09:57 PM
This will be JP's second year. TD went after him as the franchise QB. In this day and age you have to get him playing ASAP before his 4 year contract is up. If he doesn't play until hie 3rd year, he will already be in a position to negotiate after only one season. We need to see what we have sooner than later IMO next year is the time.

Agreed.

Im just saying, if the coaches didn't think he was ready, why couldn't we look else where for a quarterback in the 2005 season?

Although, I think he should be ready.

cordog
01-05-2005, 09:59 PM

He may takes some lumps early, but i think he will be okay. I heard someone say it takes about 4 games of starting to get a young qb comfortable. To me that looks about right. Eli started playing better, CP looked better, Big Ben started throwing downfield more. If he could sneak out of the first four games w/o a crapload of ints, stupid plays, etc. he will be fine.

cordog
01-05-2005, 10:00 PM
Agreed.

Im just saying, if the coaches didn't think he was ready, why couldn't we look else where for a quarterback in the 2005 season?

Although, I think he should be ready.

We have some good coaches here too that have done alot more with alot less talent (Kordell, Tommy Gun) If he is dedicated to working ALL off season i think he would be just fine.

Billz_fan
01-05-2005, 10:15 PM
While I agree with managment the DB is the best chance for the team to win, I don't think DB is gonna ever get us any further than 1 round in the playoffs and he hasn't done that yet.

I would rather take some lumps now and find out if JP is gonna be the guy that this team needs and go 4-12 than start Drew next year and go 10-6, 9-7, 8-8 and miss the playoffs again or get wiped out in the first round. We need to find out if JP is gonna be the guy. If we wait another season and Drew doesn't get it done and then go to JP and he isn't he answer, we are looking at 2006/2007 before we even find out we need another QB :(

Drew cannot win the big games for this team. He doesn't have to carry the team. He cannot give the game away either. He was directly responsible for 10 Steeler points though last weekend. His INT cost us 3 points. His fumble was returned for a TD which cost us 7.

I like Drew, I wanted him to suceed. In at least 5 games this season he was terrible.

Our QB has to be able to manage the team and put our play makers in a position to make plays. He also has to make a few plays on his own.

He makes more money than many guys who are playing better than he is. Especially when it comes to the defense. Im would not be surprised if the D players are getting tired of bailing out a higher played player.

Drew is paid well and not making enough plays to justify it.

Mr. Cynical
01-05-2005, 10:18 PM
He may takes some lumps early, but i think he will be okay. I heard someone say it takes about 4 games of starting to get a young qb comfortable. To me that looks about right. Eli started playing better, CP looked better, Big Ben started throwing downfield more. If he could sneak out of the first four games w/o a crapload of ints, stupid plays, etc. he will be fine.
Agreed.

We have some good coaches here too that have done alot more with alot less talent (Kordell, Tommy Gun) If he is dedicated to working ALL off season i think he would be just fine.
That's the key IMO. If he is *dedicated* to working on things, he'll be in good shape. My biggest fear is that he will pull a Souther Cal attitude like RJ and not put in the time or the focus. They both come from similar backgrounds ("surfer dude/sunny weather") so it is a risk. Not saying it will happen of course, but if anything is going to tank JP, it will be JP IMO.

ScottLawrence
01-05-2005, 10:24 PM
Agreed.

That's the key IMO. If he is *dedicated* to working on things, he'll be in good shape. My biggest fear is that he will pull a Souther Cal attitude like RJ and not put in the time or the focus. They both come from similar backgrounds ("surfer dude/sunny weather") so it is a risk. Not saying it will happen of course, but if anything is going to tank JP, it will be JP IMO.

I don't think JP is that type of person.

Usually the competative people aren't.....You can tell with JP.

Even when he was out there in mop up duty, the little things he would do.(Single to the sideline while rolling his fingers to give him the next play quickly)

I gurantee JP will be working his ass of in the offseason.(I hope) :nervous:

OpIv37
01-06-2005, 07:27 AM

one thing that bothers me here- I see the potential for starting the season in another 0-4 hole. That was just pure misery- I don't want to go through it again.

EDS
01-06-2005, 07:47 AM

Agreed. I don't like the rent a quarterback idea. I hope Losman works his butt off this winter and earns the starting job in camp. If not, I am behind Bledsoe al the way.

mybills
01-06-2005, 07:57 AM
Bledsoe OUT
Losman & Matthews fight for it. :up: