PDA

View Full Version : Tom Donahoe season wrap up interview 1/6

Billz_fan
01-06-2005, 02:04 PM
Pretty interesting, When asked about Drew being the #1 QB going into mini camps he said, I haven't spoken to MM about this so it's just my thoughts. I feel though that at the begining of every sesaon. Every position is up for graps.

Also,

" We should have been in the playoffs, the team knows it, the leauge knows it and the fans know it. Next year we expect to be in the playoffs. We are not willing to take a step backward to move forward"

Front page of BB.com

http://www.buffalobills.com/

FTG
01-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Did'nt Donahoe get the memo this is Drews team :snicker:

FTG
01-06-2005, 02:24 PM
TD and MM have both now had an opportunity to declare this was still Drews team and they passed. I really think they are looking at a open competition next year. I'd rather just cut Drew but I'll take an open competition because JP can beat this dud out IMO

Mr. Cynical
01-06-2005, 02:40 PM
Open competition would definitely be better than declaring it "Drew's team", but he still needs to go to give the team a chance to put all the bad history behind them. To be honest, in that spirit, I don't know that I'd mind getting rid of Moulds as well. This team has a lot of "clean" players (both vets and rooks) and maybe the best thing for the team is to start as clean as possible next year. Moulds has been here through alot of crappy years since '96 and maybe it's time to deal him. I dunno...I just really want to drop as much baggage as possible for next season to give the team a fresh start.

ScottLawrence
01-06-2005, 02:47 PM
Open competition would definitely be better than declaring it "Drew's team", but he still needs to go to give the team a chance to put all the bad history behind them. To be honest, in that spirit, I don't know that I'd mind getting rid of Moulds as well. This team has a lot of "clean" players (both vets and rooks) and maybe the best thing for the team is to start as clean as possible next year. Moulds has been here through alot of crappy years since '96 and maybe it's time to deal him. I dunno...I just really want to drop as much baggage as possible for next season to give the team a fresh start.

Moulds wants to stay and, I would gladly keep him if I was Donahoe.

ScottLawrence
01-06-2005, 02:48 PM
TD and MM have both now had an opportunity to declare this was still Drews team and they passed. I really think they are looking at a open competition next year. I'd rather just cut Drew but I'll take an open competition because JP can beat this dud out IMO

Yup.

Glad to hear it. :star:

Iehoshua
01-06-2005, 02:49 PM
" We should have been in the playoffs, the team knows it, the leauge knows it and the fans know it. Next year we expect to be in the playoffs. We are not willing to take a step backward to move forward"

Tom is dillusional. We had no business in the playoffs and it was crystal clear with our performance at home against Pittsburgh's backups. Lest we forget the other six games we lost. We definitely have more a right to be there than Minnesota or St.Louis has but that's in the NFCrap.

What does Tom define 2003 as, if it wasn't a step backward to move forward? In '02 we were 8-8 then '03 we're 6-10. Now we were 9-7. Does this mean if we regress in '05 he's going to step down? Usually if teams go through periods of losing they take a few steps:

-Fire coaches. Done.

-Change QBs. Next on the agenda.

Not saying these steps are right or wrong but when teams continually stink, what changes first?

HAMMER
01-06-2005, 03:01 PM

Are you for real? Dump Moulds? Cynical doesn't begin to describe you my friend. :tired:

Tatonka
01-06-2005, 03:05 PM
no way i consider getting rid of moulds if he is willing to resturcture.. now if he isnt.. then....

justasportsfan
01-06-2005, 03:41 PM
To be honest, in that spirit, I don't know that I'd mind getting rid of Moulds as well. .Ayayay. No asi .

Mr. Cynical
01-06-2005, 04:06 PM
Are you for real? Dump Moulds? Cynical doesn't begin to describe you my friend. :tired:
Look, I didn't say I WANT to get rid of Moulds. I said "I don't know that I'd mind" and "I dunno", both terms that are not definitive. The only reason I said that was, as I mentioned, I want to the Bills to get the best, freshest start into the new season. That's ALL I'm saying.

Moulds grumbled about "re-evaluating after the season" when we were losing. He's also been here through alot of crap, like Ruben was. If...and that is a HUGE IF....we could get some kind of package deal where we got another WR capable of starting, I "don't know" that I wouldn't at least "consider" it.

That is entirely different than saying "I want to dump Moulds". Now with Drew on the other hand, there is no ambiguity or consideration. DUMP DREW.

G. Host
01-06-2005, 06:10 PM
no way i consider getting rid of moulds if he is willing to resturcture.. now if he isnt.. then....

Restructure usually means pay more money upfront to extend. As you sure that is wise?

YardRat
01-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Considering Moulds is still one of the top receivers in the league I think re-structuring would be wise.

Tatonka
01-06-2005, 07:47 PM
Restructure usually means pay more money upfront to extend. As you sure that is wise?

i guess i was thinking restructure as in he drops some cash off the bill.. like drew did..

i would be fine with paying him 5 million a year.. 8-9 million is toooo much.

i was mad at his drops, but he is still an elite receiver on most days.. i want moulds to retire a bill.. i want him to be here when we win a championship.. i want him to continue to teach the young receivers..

i am sure we can work out something to make him happy and us too.. on jim rome a week ago, i heard him say that his first choice is to stay in buffalo for his whole career.. he respects guys that were able to do that.. and he wants to be one of them.. TD also said today that erics agent and eric were the ones that initiated the whole restructuring talk.

moulds can be a top 10 guy in this league.. but he did not have his best year.. but i also have faith that he can still be a top guy for a few more years, then be a great compliment to evans, who i think can be a marvin harrison type number one.

The_Philster
01-06-2005, 07:50 PM
TD also said today that erics agent and eric were the ones that initiated the whole restructuring talk. :clap: :clap: :clap:

YardRat
01-06-2005, 07:54 PM
Also,

We are not willing to take a step backward to move forward"
Read between the lines...."Drew will be here next year as the starter unless JP outplays the crap out of him during training camp and the pre-season."

ScottLawrence
01-06-2005, 08:53 PM
Also,
Read between the lines...."Drew will be here next year as the starter unless JP outplays the crap out of him during training camp and the pre-season."

Please.

You should've also mentioned, that someone asked Mr. Donahoe if Losman was to come in, would this team take a step back.

And, Donahoe said, no, he wouldn't expect this team to go backwords.

TigerJ
01-06-2005, 09:17 PM
In an interview on WGR Moulds said straight out that he was having conversations with the Bills on restructuring, and that he wants to retire as a Bill. I think there was a time during the season when he was getting frustrated, but I think basically he is a team player who wants to get to the Super Bowl and would like to do it as a Bill.

See thread started by Mikey.

buffalofan19
01-07-2005, 12:31 AM
Please.

You should've also mentioned, that someone asked Mr. Donahoe if Losman was to come in, would this team take a step back.

And, Donahoe said, no, he wouldn't expect this team to go backwords.
Of course he's going to say that. You ask him about any player on the roster, and hed say that. Otherwise, he'd be admitting he made a mistake by putting him on the roster (not saying that Losman was a mistake by any means, but you have to take comments like that with a grain of salt).

Dozerdog
01-07-2005, 01:18 AM
Of course he's going to say that. You ask him about any player on the roster, and hed say that. Otherwise, he'd be admitting he made a mistake by putting him on the roster (not saying that Losman was a mistake by any means, but you have to take comments like that with a grain of salt).
It's amazing the selectivity people have when taking "comments with a grain of salt"

Bledsoe says "It's my team" and everyone reads into it as "I'm the starter - screw all of you - go to hell!" QB unrest, uncooperative, distration...-blah..blah..blahhh.

But when TD says something like the above, we are all supposed to give it a wink and a nod?

I seriously TD would have traded 3 picks for 1 and get JP, and not give him the opportunity to compete for the job. It makes no sense.

buffalofan19
01-07-2005, 01:25 AM
It's amazing the selectivity people have when taking "comments with a grain of salt"

Bledsoe says "It's my team" and everyone reads into it as "I'm the starter - screw all of you - go to hell!" QB unrest, uncooperative, distration...-blah..blah..blahhh.

But when TD says something like the above, we are all supposed to give it a wink and a nod?

I seriously TD would have traded 3 picks for 1 and get JP, and not give him the opportunity to compete for the job. It makes no sense.I'm not saying Donahoe won't give Losman the opportunity. I'm just saying that it is not a knock on Drew Bledsoe by saying it. He would say that about most if not all of his players. For instance, if Donahoe were asked about Josh Stamer as a linebacker if say posey or Spike went down injured, he would probably say that the Bills would be fine with him in there. That doesn't mean he thinks he is as good as either of the two, just that he is a good enough player to assume the role in time of need.

I also do not think Bledsoe's comment means too much either. Technically, right now, it still is "his team". He hasn't been demoted as of yet. Whether that will hold is another debate, but the point is that it really is no use reading into these comments too much.

cordog
01-07-2005, 01:37 AM
By these comments im not so sure Bledsoe is back. After last year, TD came out and said it wasnt all drews fault, hes the starter, MM flew out to talk to him and said he was the starter.

This year neither one of them will touch the subject with a 10 ft. pole.

BSXIII
01-07-2005, 01:49 AM
By these comments im not so sure Bledsoe is back. After last year, TD came out and said it wasnt all drews fault, hes the starter, MM flew out to talk to him and said he was the starter.

This year neither one of them will touch the subject with a 10 ft. pole.

Last year was different, they were going through a coaching change, and more pressure was on the GM to make the decision. This year we have a competent coach, and he needs to, and will evaluate everything. Mularkey proved this year he's not the type to of coach to make knee jerk reactions and I don't expect him to start now. He'll look at all the tapes and make an evaluation, which he probably won't make public, then he'll go into camp with that idea and see how things go. From there, he'll make a decision. I don't think politics from the owner, GM, or fans will play into it. He knows what he needs to do to keep his job and be a successful head coach. He'll do what he thinks gives him the best chance to win. Something committing to anything now does not do.

cordog
01-07-2005, 01:54 AM
Last year was different, they were going through a coaching change, and more pressure was on the GM to make the decision. This year we have a competent coach, and he needs to and will evaluate everything. Mularkey proved this year he's not the type to make knee jerk reactions and I don't expect him to start now. He'll look at all the tapes and make an evaluation, which he probably won't make public, then he'll go into camp with that idea and see how things go. From there he'll make a decision. I don't think politics from the owner, GM, or fans will play into it. He knows what he needs to do to keep his job and be a successful and coach and he'll do what he thinks gives him the best chance to win. Something committing to anything now does not do.

Ive said before i will trust the opinion of Mularkey, TC, and SW. But he has seen the tapes all season. Do you think if they asked about TKOs job he would say that all positions are open for competition?

Mr. Cynical
01-07-2005, 01:58 AM
Do you think if they asked about TKOs job he would say that all positions are open for competition?
That's a great point. :10:

BSXIII
01-07-2005, 02:06 AM
Ive said before i will trust the opinion of Mularkey, TC, and SW. But he has seen the tapes all season. Do you think if they asked about TKOs job he would say that all positions are open for competition?

No, that is obvious. At QB they have 2 guys they gave up first round picks for. They're gonna let Mularkey evaluate that. Get a hunch now and see how it goes in camp. He can have and idea now, but won't and shouldn't commit before he has to get the team ready for next season.

Billz_fan
01-07-2005, 02:33 AM
I don't think there is any question Drew Bledsoe can lead this team to a 9-7 record again.

The question is can the team do better than that with him at QB ? In my opinion the answer is no. Drew is definately on the down side of his career. He is not going to get better with age.

There in lies the dilema. JP can start for the Bills but he probably won't won't get us to the 9-7, 10-6 record needed to make/almost make the playoffs.

It is however necessary for him (JP) to play (as a 1st round pick) and get the experience needed to lead this team in the coming years. The question becomes when do you pull the plug on a QB who can lead the team to "almost" good seasons and let the next generation QB take over.

It comes down to the question......

Do you let DB lead the team to another 6-10, 8-8, 9-7, 10-6 season and not make it to the Super Bowl or do you let the guy you drafted for the future get in there and get started.

This is about winning the Super Bowl. Almost making the playoffs or making them and getting waxed in the first round is not.

Drew has been here 3 years and has not made enough plays to justify his salary or solidify his future as a Buffalo Bill IMO.

ryjam282
01-07-2005, 06:35 AM
I seriously TD would have traded 3 picks for 1 and get JP, and not give him the opportunity to compete for the job. It makes no sense.

Great post Dozer. I agree 100%. I really don't think that they will come out and flat say JP is starting next year I think going into camp they will put some spin on things about an open competition and at the end of camp they will say Drew is the starter and he will play 2-3 games all the while letting JP take most of the snaps in practice and whatnot they they will make the switch....Similar to what they did in NY with the Giants. That is the only way I can see them doing something like this....Just my opinion, I don't think they will "admit" they made a mistake with Drew by cutting him, but I could see them trading him but I don't think they will get much for him these days.

justasportsfan
01-07-2005, 07:50 AM
I don't think there is any question Drew Bledsoe can lead this team to a 9-7 record again.

The question is can the team do better than that with him at QB ? . I think we can do better than 9-7 w/ Drew at qb. Only if we build an OL as good as Pitts. Only thing is when we do he's bound to blow one of the games in the playoffs.