PDA

View Full Version : Blockbuster Idea Trade

starfirestar
11-24-2002, 10:43 PM
This one might not make any sense, but once the sale of the Sabres to Hamister and Burrman is complete, the Sabres should consider this trade with Calgary or vice-versa

Calgary gets:Tim Connolly, JP Dumont, 2nd round pick

Buffalo gets: Jarome Iginla

Iginla has a contract that the Sabres could live with. He only signed a two year deal I believe. Buffalo gets the offense they want, and Calgary gets a young-cheap potential superstar in Tim Connolly. Connolly would be much more suited for the Western Conference's wide-open style of play. Dumont just needs a change of scenry all together.

Fat Tony
11-24-2002, 11:25 PM
Calgary would not do it.

If someone offered you Connally and Dumont for pre- cuncussion Lafontaine in his prime would you do it?

MissBuffalo
11-25-2002, 11:37 AM
The sad thing is, Calgary was willing to part with Iginla when we wanted to trade Peca and Regier felt that we weren't getting much in the trade. What a fool.

Ebenezer
11-25-2002, 01:18 PM
do me a favor?? don't quit whatever you do for a living. no GM in his right mind would give up more than a bag of pucks for Connolly or Dumont. There are reasons guys get traded more than once.

Novacane
11-25-2002, 03:23 PM
I wish there was a GM in this league dumb enough to give us anything decent for Connally and Dumont

BillC
11-25-2002, 03:29 PM
I guess we will have to wait for Rieger to get fired, hired by some other team and then...PRESTO! Someone who is dumb enough to take these clowns off our hands

Judge
12-04-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by MissBuffalo
The sad thing is, Calgary was willing to part with Iginla when we wanted to trade Peca and Regier felt that we weren't getting much in the trade. What a fool.

True. Who would have known what Iginla might develop into back then? Connolly arguably was a surer bet then.

casdhf
12-04-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
There are reasons guys get traded more than once.

Yeah, must be Brendan Shanahan and Wayne Gretzky were scrubs too.

Judge
12-04-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by casdhf

Yeah, must be Brendan Shanahan and Wayne Gretzky were scrubs too.

Good response!

casdhf
12-04-2002, 04:53 PM
I thought so :cas:

SabreEleven
12-04-2002, 06:39 PM
I thought Gretzy was only traded once. The other time's he signed as a free agent...

Dozerdog
12-04-2002, 07:00 PM
Gretzky went to Kings management mid season and they came to a mutual agreement to trade him to a contender, so LA would get something in return instead of losing him for nothing.

Bruce McNall was heading to jail, and the Kings could not afford him and needed to rebuild. Thus, the trade to St Louis for 2 months. He signed as a FA the nest season with the Rangers.

Dozerdog
12-04-2002, 07:14 PM
Gretzky Trades-

November 2, 1978
Edmonton Oilers (WHA) receive Wayne Gretzky, Eddie Mio and Peter Driscoll from Indianapolis for $850,000 (Indy folds by the end of the season).

In the spring of 1988 was traded to the Los Angeles Kings in one of the most stunning deals in NHL history. He, Mike Krushelnyski and Marty McSorley went to the Kings for Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas, first-round draft choices in 1989, 1991 and 1993 and $15 million.

2/27/96 - The St Louis Blues Acquired forward Wayne Gretzky from the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for Craig Johnson, Patrice Tardiff, Roman Vopat, and a 1st round draft choice.

casdhf
12-04-2002, 09:19 PM
That would be more than once :D

clumping platelets
12-04-2002, 10:37 PM
There's a reason that Iginla has been mentioned in trade rumors:

He turned a career year into mega-dollars and now is not playing to the level of the contract.

No thanks

Sabre Ally
12-05-2002, 11:53 AM
Good point clumpy. Calgary even surrounded him with better players this season, hoping to build on last year. So far it's not been good. Which is ok with me, since I don't particularly like Calgary, or Iginla, or Drury. :evil:

Ebenezer
12-05-2002, 11:57 AM
does anybody still think Connolly is worth more than a bag of pucks.

Sabre Ally
12-05-2002, 11:58 AM
someone does, Eb. read the Mogilny trade thread.

Ebenezer
12-05-2002, 11:59 AM
I've been there....oh, the misguided!!

clumping platelets
12-05-2002, 12:01 PM
Connolly to Oilers for Marchant

I like it :)

Ebenezer
12-05-2002, 12:03 PM
works for me...to bad mickey mouse doesn't run the oilers.

Sabre Ally
12-05-2002, 12:03 PM
Uhm.....we already lead the league in PIMs. Can Marchant score? Oh wait, nevermind, I guess since Connolly can't either, it doesn't matter.

Judge
12-05-2002, 12:07 PM
does anybody still think Connolly is worth more than a bag of pucks.

People who understand hockey do.

clumping platelets
12-05-2002, 12:09 PM
I say

Satan and draft choice to Avs for Reinprecht and Tanguay

Ebenezer
12-05-2002, 12:14 PM
Guess I am a complete idiot...we need more guys who can't check, can't score, get knocked over by a strong breeze, look cute and are a -13!!!

-13!! nuff said for me...

he is either:

1. a bad hockey player
2. in the wrong system
3. not ready for the NHL (after 3 full seasons)
4. all of the above.

Guess 29 other GMs know hockey because nobody wants this guy.

Earthquake Enyart
12-06-2002, 08:59 AM
I'm with you Eb. The dumbest thing is to put your worst defensive player (Conolley) on the point of the power play. Ruff is dumb, but that is the dumbest.

Dozerdog
12-06-2002, 09:09 AM
Hey!

It was getting too boring and there were too much politeness going on around here. Welcome back!

Hope Mom is oK ;)

Judge
12-06-2002, 12:05 PM
Guess I am a complete idiot...we need more guys who can't check, can't score, get knocked over by a strong breeze, look cute and are a -13!!!

-13!! nuff said for me...

he is either:

1. a bad hockey player
2. in the wrong system
3. not ready for the NHL (after 3 full seasons)
4. all of the above.

Guess 29 other GMs know hockey because nobody wants this guy.

My guess is that the other 29 NHL GM's would GLADLY trade a scrub for Tim Connolly due to his upside potential.

Ebenezer
12-06-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Judge
My guess is that the other 29 NHL GM's would GLADLY trade a scrub for Tim Connolly due to his upside potential.

I don't think Mike Milbury takes back Connolly under any circumstances...he got the last laugh on this one.

Judge
12-06-2002, 12:18 PM

I don't think Mike Milbury takes back Connolly under any circumstances...he got the last laugh on this one.

Only for now, maybe.

I'm not ready to write Connolly off as a lost cause yet.

My point has been this: the Sabres stink. Why trade Connolly at a time when his trade value is probably at its lowest, get nothing in return to match what upside potential he still has? And get nothing to help our team as much as Connolly could if he starts to deliver on his potential?

It makes no sense to me.

Ebenezer
12-06-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Judge

Only for now, maybe.

I'm not ready to write Connolly off as a lost cause yet.

My point has been this: the Sabres stink. Why trade Connolly at a time when his trade value is probably at its lowest, get nothing in return to match what upside potential he still has? And get nothing to help our team as much as Connolly could if he starts to deliver on his potential?

It makes no sense to me.

I don't disagree...I just think that if they are going to make the typical "shake up trade" that it might as well be one of the current weakest links on the team. Don't you think his "style" rubs other players the wrong way?? Do you think he fits in with Buffalo's "Blue collar attitude"? I would love to see nothing more than Connolly score 50 goals...hey, i'd take 25...it just seems that he has never been happy to be here and just seems to be floating.

Judge
12-06-2002, 12:30 PM

I don't disagree...I just think that if they are going to make the typical "shake up trade" that it might as well be one of the current weakest links on the team. Don't you think his "style" rubs other players the wrong way?? Do you think he fits in with Buffalo's "Blue collar attitude"? I would love to see nothing more than Connolly score 50 goals...hey, i'd take 25...it just seems that he has never been happy to be here and just seems to be floating.

I don't get the feeling that he is alienating his teammates. Every team needs somebody with offensive ability. This team is sorely lacing in offensive talent- we have too many blue collar guys and don't need to pick up another one, which is all we'd get in return for him at this point.

Want to shake things up? Trade a guy worth something to this team who can bring the Sabres something that can improve them in return. Not too many of those!

Don Cherry
12-06-2002, 01:15 PM
Zhitnik fits that description.

Unfortunatly, Boston has a glut of Defensemen and they are driving hte price down. NESN (New England Sports Network) reported 22 scouts from 17 teams in attendance at last night's Atlanta /Bruin game.

Good thing.... the attendance was horrible again ....

Atlanta might give up some prospects for another defenseman. Nothing that will improve this club immediatly.

Earthquake Enyart
12-06-2002, 04:16 PM
Miranov wants out of Chicago too. Good riddance.