PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Gray is overrated!

The Black Bear
01-06-2005, 10:58 PM
theblackbear is not losing any sleep over the possibity of Jerry Gray leaving to become the head coach of Syracuse.

He's the head of the "dude where's the right zone coverage" club.

As good as the players are on the defense Jerry Gray still manages to call the wrong plays and have them out of position.

Having Aaron Schobel drop into coverage on obvious passing downs, Rashad Baker on an Island against top quality receivers, pulling either Sam Adams or Pat Williams out of the game at the wrong times, and blitzing when he should be in coverage while dropping in coverage when he should blitz.

The Bills defense is good but Jerry Gray is not as responsible for this as some would have you believe. The only thing good that theblackbear sees about him is that the players PLAY FOR HIM.

That's hardly enough to cry over him leaving town.

Right or Wrong?

:peace:

Michael82
01-06-2005, 11:03 PM
Oh no! The bear is back. :mad:

:yap:

The Black Bear
01-06-2005, 11:07 PM
"If you're going to drink your own urine why put ice cubes in it? Be a man and drink it warm!" - (theblackbear)

Philagape
01-06-2005, 11:07 PM
A defense doesn't lead the league in takeaways without players being in the right place at the right time.

Next Bear Post -- Mario Haggan's socks have the wrong color scheme!!!!!

juice
01-06-2005, 11:09 PM
Players wanting to play for the coach is more important than the system.. and they tend to want to stay with a unit that plays as one with passion.

Winfield probably would've stated if the Bills had made him a contract offer at the seasons start when he wanted to get the contract delt with.. because he liked playing for Gray and had respect for what he was putting together.

Gray is a really hot coach this year after fielding Top 5 defenses two years in a row and increasing the takeAways dramatically.

Lack of takeAways was the big Knock on the Defensive unit last year.

Drive 4 Five
01-06-2005, 11:10 PM
Wasn't The Black Bear voted as best new poster 2004?

Michael82
01-06-2005, 11:15 PM
:gag:

The Black Bear
01-07-2005, 12:11 AM
Watcha talkin?

Dozerdog
01-07-2005, 12:42 AM
http://www.bearsmart.com/gfx/RogersBearGarbageCan.jpg

buffalofan19
01-07-2005, 01:12 AM
I think Gray has been a great defensive coach this year and do not want to see him go.

The few shortcomings on defense (though some of them hurt badly) were due to an individual screwing up (i.e. Clements in the Jacksonville game).

The one thing I do not like about Gray is that he plays too much of a soft zone defense, especially when trying to hld a lead. I drives me nuts.:fury:

mchurchfie
01-07-2005, 02:07 AM
The few shortcomings on defense (though some of them hurt badly) were due to an individual screwing up (i.e. Clements in the Jacksonville game).

On "4th and a mile" Clements never should have been put out there one on one with Jacksonville's alltime number one receiver. That was a bad tactical error by Gray.:down: If they keep the play in front of them and stop it for a smaller gain then game over and we would be in the playoffs right now.

Jan Reimers
01-07-2005, 03:17 AM
Statistically, our D was 2nd in the league in yards allowed, and 1st in turnovers - so it's hard to knock Gray. But we do have a tendency to give up the big play at the most critical time.

kardshark19
01-07-2005, 03:26 AM
"If you're going to drink your own urine why put ice cubes in it? Be a man and drink it warm!" - (theblackbear)

:rofl:

YardRat
01-07-2005, 05:13 AM
Who would replace Gray, if he does go?

Jayhawk
01-07-2005, 06:42 AM
great this moron is back. Though bb is alot better than Blink

TedMock
01-07-2005, 08:43 AM
Statistically, our D was 2nd in the league in yards allowed, and 1st in turnovers - so it's hard to knock Gray. But we do have a tendency to give up the big play at the most critical time.

That's the nature of this defense. Gray had full control this year, and we were much more aggressive as a result. The downside is that you're going to give up a big one now and then. I mean 39 takeaways, 2nd in total D, 2nd in INT's, tied for 5th in fumble recoveries, 4th in sacks, etc. These are the numbers of a very aggressive defense. There's a poison in every scheme. We could also play a very solid, tough defense, that doesn't give up the big play, but we may miss out on the turnovers in that case. They gave up big plays, but they sure made a lot. My biggest gripe is the inconsistant 3rd down play in the final game. We had them in several 3rd and longs, but they kept converting.

Marvelous
01-07-2005, 09:38 AM
theblackbear is not losing any sleep over the possibity of Jerry Gray leaving to become the head coach of Syracuse.

He's the head of the "dude where's the right zone coverage" club.

As good as the players are on the defense Jerry Gray still manages to call the wrong plays and have them out of position.

Having Aaron Schobel drop into coverage on obvious passing downs, Rashad Baker on an Island against top quality receivers, pulling either Sam Adams or Pat Williams out of the game at the wrong times, and blitzing when he should be in coverage while dropping in coverage when he should blitz.

The Bills defense is good but Jerry Gray is not as responsible for this as some would have you believe. The only thing good that theblackbear sees about him is that the players PLAY FOR HIM.

That's hardly enough to cry over him leaving town.

Right or Wrong?

Right! Grey is overrated. I give credit of our D to the players. If we had a decent D coord we would be that much better. Grey's schemes are off. I just think he's a average at best coordinator...

Pride
01-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Oddly enough, I fully agree with the BBear!

Dr. Lecter
01-07-2005, 10:35 AM
Wasn't the defense 2nd overall, 1st in turnovers adn 5th in sacks?

Isn't the coach doing something right?

DaBills
01-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Coaching is doing something write, just not enough to take it to the next level. Ted has a point. I complained about this all year though, not just that last game. The two telling stats for this team are the 3rd down conversion rates allowed and made. On offense imo, we seem to fail in sustaining drives when not running, but throwing too much, leading to the dreaded 3-and-out.

On D, they seem to have a 3-and-in mentality. We hold them short on first, then second, but give up mucho yards on 3rd. Many times also, just plain stupid yards. It'll be 3 and 19 after we sack a QB on 2nd down, and you can just feel the conversion that's about to happen. And there you go. they convert by getting a 20-yard pass play or screen pass that everyone whiffs a tackle on.

And that is a common result of our DBs laying off 5 yards or more at the line without jamming coupled with a soft pass rush. We have to be more aggressive there.

Watch NE in the playoffs and how their secondary plays. Even without Law, they will be aggressive and bump guys a lot.

TigerJ
01-07-2005, 08:04 PM
Grey is better than most of the DCs in the league. He's not the best. I would rather keep him than lose him. My guess is that if he goes, the Bills promote Dom Blackmon to DC and hire a new linebackers coach. Blackmon knows the system, has ample experience as a position coach and has had a short stint as a DC. I think the linebackers have great respect for him.