PDA

View Full Version : We are not in good shape...

Tatonka
01-07-2005, 07:37 AM
There are quite a few Running Backs in this year's draft, and also quite a few unrestricted free agents. I got this list from footballguys site.. but there are a LOT of options for teams.. i cant see anyone giving up crap for henry. i see Henry being a Bill next season. TD wont just give him away.

Unrestricted Free Agents (pretty sure they're all unrestricted):

Edgerrin James
Shaun Alexander
Lamont Jordan
Rudi Johnson
Derrick Blaylock
Amos Zereoue
Anthony Thomas
Ron Dayne
Correll Buckhalter
J.R. Redmond

Old turds who will probably be cut:
Eddie George
Emmitt Smith

And likely early round draft picks:

Cedric Benson
Carnell Williams
Ronnie Brown
JJ Arrington
Kay-Jay Harris
DeAngelo Williams

and mid-rounders:

Maurice Clarett
Marion Barber
Ciatrick Fason
Vernand Morency
Eric Shelton
Ryan Moats
T.A. McLendon

ryjam282
01-07-2005, 07:41 AM
Of all those guys listed I think Edge and Alexander will be franchised. Henry is definitely better then the others listed. At least he started and excelled for 2 seasons. I think we get a 2nd for him at best. He is at least equivalent to Corey Dillon in value IMO

Tatonka
01-07-2005, 07:54 AM
indy has said that they will not franchise edge, to my understanding..

but i think you are being kinda biased too.. i mean.. there is no way to know if henry, who has been injured and missed games 3 of the four years in the league, is better than all the rookies. henry is not known as a pass catcher and is not fast enough to be an outside runner.

i hope i am wrong.. but that list looks steep.

if my choices are anthony thomas for free and not much money long term or henry for a 2nd or 3rd.. i take thomas.

The King
01-07-2005, 07:54 AM
To add to Tatonka's list there are quite a few backs who teams are going to try to deal them this offseason.

Denver
Bell
Griffin
Droughns..........One of them will be dealt I imagine

Minn
Bennett
Smith
Moore

Carolina
Davis
Foster
Goings.....

Adding Henry to the endless list of backs is not a favorable thing for Buffalo to do. I would be psyched for a 3rd rounder and a role player or a 3rd and 4th, and maybe try to deal some picks to get back into the first round or two 2nds.

ryjam282
01-07-2005, 08:08 AM
I thought I read somewhere right after Harrison resigned that the Colts have enough money under next year that if they can't work something out with Edge that they will be able to franchise him. I could be wrong but I thought I read that.

As far as A Train, I think a lot of teams will be wary of him since he had that one good season and and then pretty much fell off the map. Henry at least had 2 good 1300 yard seasons before this season. I think we are in better shape then most of the other guys. There will be some teams out there that won't want to take a chance on a guy and could possibly make a move for a guy that has done it and is still relatively young...Not to mention he will be very cheap for next year as well.

The King
01-07-2005, 08:10 AM
Ry I like how they airbrushed that pic to make it look like gwen might have boobs.

ryjam282
01-07-2005, 08:20 AM
LOL, that's ok. I am not a boob guy...But you have to admit she is just the cats meow....."I like big butts and I cannot lie"..... :blush:

TedMock
01-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Ry I like how they airbrushed that pic to make it look like gwen might have boobs.

She's not Gregg Williams, that's for sure.

ryjam282
01-07-2005, 08:21 AM
:lolcry:

Ebenezer
01-07-2005, 08:23 AM
There are quite a few Running Backs in this year's draft, and also quite a few unrestricted free agents. I got this list from footballguys site.. but there are a LOT of options for teams.. i cant see anyone giving up crap for henry. i see Henry being a Bill next season. TD wont just give him away.

Unrestricted Free Agents (pretty sure they're all unrestricted):

Edgerrin James
Shaun Alexander
Lamont Jordan
Rudi Johnson
Derrick Blaylock
Amos Zereoue
Anthony Thomas
Ron Dayne
Correll Buckhalter
J.R. Redmond

Eddie George
Emmitt Smith

And likely early round draft picks:

Cedric Benson
Carnell Williams
Ronnie Brown
JJ Arrington
Kay-Jay Harris
DeAngelo Williams

and mid-rounders:

Maurice Clarett
Marion Barber
Ciatrick Fason
Vernand Morency
Eric Shelton
Ryan Moats
T.A. McLendon
good points and probably why he will be back next year...there is no way I am searching all the posts but Clump (I think it was clump) said something about that being why Henry was being played (like back in Sept) - to keep his trade value up - and folks crawled all over him for his defense of playing of TH. In this day and age decisions are made over who is a FA or will be a FA all the time...

oh well, TH is cheap, if TD can't get value and they can prevent him from being a locker room cancer I will not be upset if TH is back...

ryjam282
01-07-2005, 08:25 AM
After what he just said to the papers. There is no way he is brought back IMO. He has to be dealt now cause there is no way he won't become a distraction in the locker room.

Chadwick King of NY
01-07-2005, 08:38 AM
just dont trade him to miami

ryjam282
01-07-2005, 08:40 AM
At this point I could care less but Miami doesn't have a 2nd to deal...They gave that away for big bad AJ Feeley. Maybe we could do like the Saints did with Ricky, make it a conditional pick for 06. If he hits a certain yardage number it can be a 1st rounder. That could be a good way for us to get good value. Now, is there any takers? Arizona?

justasportsfan
01-07-2005, 08:42 AM
just dont trade him to miamiI would for Jason Taylor.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
01-07-2005, 08:45 AM
The big selling point in getting a mid rounder for Travis is that his contract # is cap friendly for ANYONE, and he is a proven commodity.

Henry did not take much punishment this year and will be nice and fresh for whoever his new team is. I'd love to have him stay, but I don't think his ego will allow it and therefore we take what we can get. Look for Donahoe to put on a show stating that we want Travis here and we are willing to have him have a legit shot at being the starter in camp. This will just be another bluff to hopefully bring his value up to 2nd round pick. I think we might see a player trade though, as rare as they are.

Chadwick King of NY
01-07-2005, 08:47 AM
I would for Jason Taylor.

yea but at least your getting somthing in return! think of us poor jet fans lol

Ebenezer
01-07-2005, 08:48 AM
The big selling point in getting a mid rounder for Travis is that his contract # is cap friendly for ANYONE, and he is a proven commodity.

Henry did not take much punishment this year and will be nice and fresh for whoever his new team is. I'd love to have him stay, but I don't think his ego will allow it and therefore we take what we can get. Look for Donahoe to put on a show stating that we want Travis here and we are willing to have him have a legit shot at being the starter in camp. This will just be another bluff to hopefully bring his value up to 2nd round pick. I think we might see a player trade though, as rare as they are.
but that contract only has one year on it...if it were a long term deal I would agree with you...TH is going to be looking for some money after signing that Bills friendly extention to his paltry rookie contract...

justasportsfan
01-07-2005, 08:49 AM
yea but at least your getting somthing in return! think of us poor jet fans lol
Vilma is gonna be a beast.

ryjam282
01-07-2005, 08:53 AM
I would love to see us get something in return, some kind of player to help us out. I think Ahman Green is on his way out. Maybe the Packers could trade that crappy #4 they have for him :winkpunch

Jan Reimers
01-07-2005, 09:06 AM
I think Travis will be back for at least next year. He's a great backup and insurance policy for Willis, and is relatively cheap. He may whine some, but the whole locker room cancer thing is vastly overrated.

Jeff1220
01-07-2005, 09:35 AM
They asked TD about this in his wrap-up press conference and he said something to the effect of, "Travis Henry is an excellent running back. If we can work out a deal for him we will. However we aren't going to give him away."

To me this says that if someone offers up some good compensation for Travis, they'll take it, but having Travis as a back up next year should be much more valuable than another 5th rounder.

RedEyE
01-07-2005, 10:11 AM
I suspect that Shaun Alexander, Lamont Jordan, and Rudi Johnson will all resign with their respectable teams. Seattle would be lost without Alexander. The Jets know that, despite winning the rushing title this year, Martin is getting up there in age. And Rudi will remain the man in Cincy a couple of years even if they draft a RB in the high second round.

Edgerrin James: With all the negotiations taking place in Indy, where's the big #s for The Edge? I don't think that they plan on keeping him. IMO, Rhodes will get the nod next as The Edge moves on.

Derrick Blaylock: Blaylock only proves that anyone can run like Preist Holmes behind that KC O-line. If bought, he won't be a threat anywhere else in the NFL. Besides, I think that Vermeil would rather get rid of Lonnie Johnson. Although Johnson may have proved his worth to Big Dick, I think that just made the package look a whole lot prettier. Not convinced that Blaylock leaves KC. Not convinced that Holmes won't retire...there have been rumors.

Amos Zereoue: Just not a threat. looks and smells like Fargas
Anthony Thomas: "Down and out"... and in a similar situations as Travis Henry.
Ron Dayne: Great Pre-Season starter!
Correll Buckhalter: I believe that Buckhalter might be 3rd on the list of desirable and available to RB needy teams. 3rd to E. James and Travis Henry
J.R. Redmond : I don't know anything about this guy.

Eddie George: One more year as a back up in Dallas then retires as a Titan.
Emmitt Smith: Once Arizona picks up a RB in the 1st round, Smith signs a one day contract with Dallas and retires... as a Cowboy.

With that being said, the list of talent entering the draft is what will hurt Henry's overall trade value. GM's and coaches love to mold and nurture unproven talent.

I don't get the warm fuzzy feeling that Henry wants to stay in Buffalo, but I'm also pretty certain that he's not going to get the zeros that he desires. I could see him try and pull a Milloy and high-tail it to a division rival, like Miami, on a sweetened deal. But Miami has some offensive woes of it's own and they start at QB.

We'll see. It will most definitly make for an interesting offseason.

Tatonka
01-07-2005, 12:48 PM
lamont jordan will absolutely be gone.. he has been pissed at the jets for 2 years.. much like travis..

rudi johnson is decent.. but dont forget that cincy just used a high pick on chris perry from michigan.. i would be surprised to see him stay too.

seattle has to franchise walter jones, the LT, AGAIN.. so i dont know that alexander doesnt go.. i see alexander ending up in miami.

Jeff1220
01-07-2005, 01:34 PM
i see alexander ending up in miami.

I hope so! He's overrated imo. He doesn't seem to get the tough yards. In Miami, he won't come close to the yardage he put up this year.

bledslow
01-07-2005, 02:29 PM
Of all those guys listed I think Edge and Alexander will be franchised. Henry is definitely better then the others listed. At least he started and excelled for 2 seasons. I think we get a 2nd for him at best. He is at least equivalent to Corey Dillon in value IMO

equivalent to corey dillon? OMG i heard it all now. i want whatever your drinking and make it a double.

Mr. Cynical
01-07-2005, 02:44 PM
After what he just said to the papers. There is no way he is brought back IMO. He has to be dealt now cause there is no way he won't become a distraction in the locker room.
Agreed.

Mr. Cynical
01-07-2005, 02:48 PM
The one thing TH has going for him is that nobody is going to confuse the Bills' oline with a good oline. TH got alot of those 1,400 yds by himself, and played hurt. That means alot to coaches. He is no gamebreaker, but backs like that aren't a dime a dozen either. I think he's probably in the top third of that list of FAs. (don't know about the rooks...I don't follow college ball)

And given I think James/Alexander stay put (gut feel), he just might be one of the "premier" FAs left. The drop off from those 2 is pretty steep.

NC-BILLS44
01-07-2005, 02:49 PM
TD can draft another damaged Miami RB - Gore. He's leaving early and he did keep Willis on the bench, until he got hurt.

Ickybaluky
01-07-2005, 04:49 PM
I imagine any trade will be conditional based on Henry's performance on the team he is traded to.

Iehoshua
01-07-2005, 04:58 PM
indy has said that they will not franchise edge, to my understanding..

Edgerrin James: With all the negotiations taking place in Indy, where's the big #s for The Edge? I don't think that they plan on keeping him. IMO, Rhodes will get the nod next as The Edge moves on.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1949512

With several of their other offensive stars locked up with new contracts, the Colts can focus on Edgerrin James, and Indianapolis owner Jim Irsay told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that the team is set to slap a franchise tag on James to prevent the running back from being a free agent.

Irsay has the tag available after signing quarterback Peyton Manning and wide receiver Marvin Harrison to blockbuster deals, and his goal is to give James the big money, too.

In fact, the Colts structured Harrison's contract with an eye toward retaining enough salary cap flexibility to keep James, who leads the team in rushing by more than a thousand yards. Before Sunday's game, James had run for 1,395 yards, Dominic Rhodes 201.

Edge will be a Colt one way or another...

Mr. Cynical
01-07-2005, 05:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1949512

Edge will be a Colt one way or another...
Agreed.

Typ0
01-07-2005, 05:47 PM
equivalent to corey dillon? OMG i heard it all now. i want whatever your drinking and make it a double.

That's what I thought too ;).