PDA

View Full Version : Kickers Suck

Iehoshua
01-09-2005, 05:06 PM
What a pathetic display, Lindell, Longwell, Kaeding... Arguably costing their respective teams games...

"Where have all the kickers gone?"

BAM
01-09-2005, 05:09 PM
That guy from O State is looking like a better draft pick every day. :pray:

Iehoshua
01-09-2005, 05:10 PM
That guy from O State is looking like a better draft pick every day. :pray:

From the looks of things, we won't be the only team in the market for a new kicker, either...

RedEyE
01-09-2005, 05:50 PM
I was thinking about this the other day.

As soon as the NFL implemented the rule that kickers could no longer "cook" (hold onto kicking balls), the kicking stats started to plummet.

I think that the rule was put into effect about 5 years ago. Kickers used to be able to hold onto game day balls, and do whatever they needed to them. Some would sand the balls down, inflate, under-inflate, and there were even reports of some kickers baking the balls. I'm not exactly sure what cooking them does, but since the NFL now retains the kicking balls until game day, kickers have don't have the same pre-game preperations. Kicking stats have been seriously effected.

BAM
01-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Do they really use different footballs for kickoffs and punts? I saw someone post about that a while back. I didn't know that.

The_Philster
01-09-2005, 06:03 PM
Do they really use different footballs for kickoffs and punts? I saw someone post about that a while back. I didn't know that.

yeah..there are 36 new footballs brought out for every game..12 are reserved for kicking and punting only...marked with a K

BAM
01-09-2005, 06:05 PM
Are they any different, Phil? Like the size and weight? Or just the fact that they are marked with a K. :scratch:

ArcticWildMan
01-09-2005, 06:06 PM
Are they any different, Phil? Like the size and weight? Or just the fact that they are marked with a K. :scratch:

They are the same. They just aren't "aged" like they used to be.

The_Philster
01-09-2005, 06:07 PM

that's the only difference...they want the balls used for kicking to be the exact size and weight so they are not subjected to the regular play, like being carried or passed

BAM
01-09-2005, 06:08 PM
I see. Thanks for the info.

ArcticWildMan
01-09-2005, 06:11 PM
I just hope Donahoe addresses the kicking issue for us this offseason. It's always been an after thought for him and it cost us this year.

Mad Bomber
01-09-2005, 06:51 PM
I'm surprised about Kaeding....I watched him thru his Iowa days, and he was AUTOMATIC. Can't believe he screwed up like that...

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-10-2005, 05:35 AM
Kickers miss, what do you want?

Billz_fan
01-10-2005, 08:32 AM
Kickers miss, what do you want?

yeah, If it were a given there would be no reason to line up and kick it. Kicking has deteriorated though.

Bring back the bare foot kickers :D

The King
01-10-2005, 09:18 AM
I'm surprised about Kaeding....I watched him thru his Iowa days, and he was AUTOMATIC. Can't believe he screwed up like that...

Hes a rookie it takes time to be automatic. Vinatieri used to suck ass when he was young. Not too mention the weather wasnt great on Saturday

RedEyE
01-10-2005, 10:45 AM
I just really hate seeing the Jets win. Hell they lost their way into the playoffs.