PDA

View Full Version : Pats Defensive Coordinator is Browns' top candidate

Michael82
01-09-2005, 08:41 PM
Romeo Crennel, the Patriots defensive coordinator, is the leading man in the Browns' coaching search, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports.

Crennel's track record, his ties to Bill Belichick and his disciplinarian ability to deal with a growing number of Browns malcontents all play in his favor.

But there are other known candidates for the Browns post. Browns interim coach Terry Robiskie is to be formally interviewed on Monday. Crennel also faces stiff competition from Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress, who interviewed for six hours Tuesday, and Steelers line coach Russ Grimm, who interviewed Saturday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1963144

Michael82
01-09-2005, 09:43 PM
I hope the Browns sign him. That would help dismantle the Patriots slowly. First the offensive coordinator leaves and then the defensive coordinator. :pray: :snicker:

RedEyE
01-09-2005, 09:47 PM
I heard that the 49ers have mentioned bringing him for an interview as well.

ArcticWildMan
01-09-2005, 09:54 PM
I heard that the 49ers have mentioned bringing him for an interview as well.

49ers are the NFL's Notre Dame. Nobody will want to go there until a GM that knows what the hell he is doing is hired.

BlackJohn
01-09-2005, 10:21 PM
They'd be stupid not to hire this guy. Bellicheck didn't name his dc in new england for an entire year so he could get him ..... I can't remeber exactly why. ....He's got to have learned a lot from one of the best game planners in the league, and they say his players always loved playing for him, and his record of success have got to say he's the best coordinator in the league not to be a head coach.

Plus he was on Bellichecks staff in cleveland.

TigerJ
01-09-2005, 10:22 PM
The 49ers are in the market for a GM too. I assume that will be their first hire. If Crennel is hired as a head coach, I would assume he'll lure a defensive position coach away for NE as his DC. Myabe he would also try to hire a Patriot offensive assistant as his OC. All this is good news. The dismantling of the Patriots is long overdue.

RedEyE
01-09-2005, 10:26 PM
49ers are the NFL's Notre Dame. Nobody will want to go there until a GM that knows what the hell he is doing is hired.

True, but teams can't do anything anyway until the Pats lose out of the Super Bowl race.

ArcticWildMan
01-09-2005, 10:29 PM
True, but teams can't do anything anyway until the Pats lose out of the Super Bowl race.

Next week baby. Next week. :up:

BSXIII
01-09-2005, 10:48 PM
I'm sure the Browns fans would love this pickup. They hate Bellicheck, and blame him for the previous team's downfall and move to Baltimore. I remember reading what the Cleveland fans thought of him when he became the New England head coach. Some fans viewed him as the anti-christ, or for a better analogy the Bledsoe (to some). He was never forgiven for benching Kosar. They were convinced he would never amount to anything, and they probably give all the credit for the Pats success to his assistents.

I think this would be a very good football move, and a far better PR move for the Browns. Their fans would love anything that hurts Bellicheck.