PDA

View Full Version : Frank Reich

BSXIII
01-10-2005, 12:03 AM
There is a special on him on the Sports machine right now on CBS (in Boston). I think they said he had the most 4th quarter comebacks in college history.

ArcticWildMan
01-10-2005, 12:05 AM
Reich was a solid, classy guy. Not flashy, not a superstar, just a solid person and a solid backup QB. :up:

BSXIII
01-10-2005, 12:10 AM
Reich was a solid, classy guy. Not flashy, not a superstar, just a solid person and a solid backup QB. :up:

Yup, they were talking about how he lead the greatest comeback in college history (at Maryland I believe) and in the NFL ('DUH) and when they talked to him about it he grinned and said he also had the record for most fumbles in a Super Bowl (3 vs. Dallas). He never wanted to give himself too much credit, but was willing to give himself a little too much blame, yet he kept his head held high and seemed perfectly content with his accomplishments in football.

BAM
01-10-2005, 06:57 AM
I saw that too! I was flippin through the channels and happened to see a preview right before they went to commercial that he was up next. It was a pretty cool bit!

:hail: Reich

Jayhawk
01-10-2005, 07:19 AM
Frank is the man. I'd love to have someoen here interview him.

Frank is better right now than Crapsoe

Dozerdog
01-10-2005, 07:26 AM
There is a special on him on the Sports machine right now on CBS (in Boston). I think they said he had the most 4th quarter comebacks in college history.
He had the largest comeback in college history, I don't think he had the most.

Maryland 42 Miami 40
November 10, 1984

On a beautiful sunny Miami day, the Hurricanes were winning a laugher up 31-0 over the outmatched Maryland Terrapins going into halftime. Quarterback Bernie Kosar was having a monster afternoon throwing for 240 yards and three touchdowns in the first half alone. Little did the Canes know that their sunny day would turn into a thunderstorm provided by Frank Reich.

Maryland scored on a 39-yard TD pass, then a one-yard Reich touchdown run cut the lead to 31-14. The Terps were able to add a third touchdown at the end of the third quarter to within ten points.

They werent still in the game, were they? Down 34-28, Reich threw it deep to Greg Hill. The ball was tipped but Hill grabbed it and took it in for a 68-yard touchdown and, impossibly, the lead. Miami fumbled the kickoff, which was recovered by Maryland who then took it in for a touchdown capping a 42-3 run. Miami would add a final touchdown, but to no avail. Things couldnt get any worse for Miami, could they?

Two weeks later some guy named Flutie would come into town and have himself a pretty decent game.

Historical Significance: The Canes had just lost in the biggest comeback in NCAA history by blowing a 31-point lead. This was the beginning of what would be some crushing losses to the Miami program. Miami had won the 1983 national championship, but were struggling a bit in 1984 under first-year head coach Jimmy Johnson. The Canes were 8-2, but were on a nice five-game run. After this loss and the loss to Boston College in the Hail Mary game, many were beginning to question Johnson. His Canes lost to UCLA in the Fiesta Bowl to end the season on a three-game slide.

The 1985 Hurricanes were a monster, but a 35-7 loss to Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl killed any outside hopes for the national title. The 1986 team was one of the best ever, but a loss to Penn State in the Fiesta Bowl tagged Johnson as a coach that couldnt take Miami to a title. That all changed in 1987. For Maryland, this win might have given Reich the confidence to pull off the greatest comeback in NFL history leading Buffalo of Houston in a classic playoff game.

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/Top_100_Games/Top_100_Games_39_35.htm