PDA

View Full Version : A question about Bledsoe.

kgun12
01-10-2005, 10:49 AM
I was at work the other night at about 2 am, and this question popped into my head. I thought about it looked up his numbers, do the same and tell me what you think.

I am not bashing with this question, just want to know if people think looking at the way Drew has played over his entire time in Buffalo and in games against quality opponents if he really has what it takes to get us to a Super Bowl.

Do just react to the question, think about it, dig deep look at his stats over all his games here, then respond.

justasportsfan
01-10-2005, 10:52 AM
If Drew's career ended today, his career w/ Buffalo would be considered/judged a bust/mistake.

Drive 4 Five
01-10-2005, 11:00 AM
I am not bashing with this question, just want to know if people think looking at the way Drew has played over his entire time in Buffalo and in games against quality opponents if he really has what it takes to get us to a Super Bowl.

Not just in Buffalo but over the course of his entire career. You're right bro. He just does not have it and it has nothing to do with physical capabilities in my opinion. He simply does not have what it takes mentally.

OpIv37
01-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Not just in Buffalo but over the course of his entire career. You're right bro. He just does not have it and it has nothing to do with physical capabilities in my opinion. He simply does not have what it takes mentally.

I think that's the most frustrating thing about Bledsoe. He may not be the player he was when he first came into the league, but he obviously still has some skill, one of the strongest arms in the game, and the physical toughness. But mentally he struggles in big games. he's been in the league for what- 9, 10 seasons, and he hasn't gotten over it yet? I don't know why he can't learn to be the same player in big games that he is in games against crap teams.

OpIv37
01-10-2005, 11:31 AM
oh and to answer kgun's question- I think Bledsoe can only win the big one if he has all the tools around him. If he's put in a situation where all he has to do is not choke, he can win a big game. But if he's forced to do something to win on his own accord, I think he's proven time and time again that he doesn't have it. It's unfortunate because he is a good player and he's the most experienced QB on our roster, but it's a reality that I'm grudgingly learning to accept. This team can still win with Bledsoe, but it will require virtually every other phase of the game to play near- perfect football, and that's probably asking too much.

TedMock
01-10-2005, 11:37 AM
I was at work the other night at about 2 am, and this question popped into my head. I thought about it looked up his numbers, do the same and tell me what you think.

Do just react to the question, think about it, dig deep look at his stats over all his games here, then respond.

I actually went through his stats awhile ago, and compared them to a few other QB's who were considered great. Oddly enough, he's statiscally equal to several hall of famers. The one glaring thing he lacks is a Superbowl win as a starting QB. The thread is in here somewhere, but it's been awhile and I can't remember where it was. Anyway, yards, TD/INT, etc. is right at the HOF numbers. I think his inconsistant play in "big games" will be a knock on him, along with having never won a Superbowl. Kelly and Marino are certainly exceptions.

kgun12
01-10-2005, 11:43 AM
I actually went through his stats awhile ago, and compared them to a few other QB's who were considered great. Oddly enough, he's statiscally equal to several hall of famers. The one glaring thing he lacks is a Superbowl win as a starting QB. The thread is in here somewhere, but it's been awhile and I can't remember where it was. Anyway, yards, TD/INT, etc. is right at the HOF numbers. I think his inconsistant play in "big games" will be a knock on him, along with having never won a Superbowl. Kelly and Marino are certainly exceptions.

I'm talking about whole package. If you can't beat good teams, but you put up big numbers (mostly cause it's late, your behind, and the other team is in prevent) then how is that good. Kelly and Marino were exception for one reason, although they never one the SB, for the most part the were consistant and in the palyoffs for much of the careers! The problem they had was Marino never had a running game, and the Bills never had a great defense during there playoff careers.

Drew has both of those things.

TedMock
01-10-2005, 12:00 PM
I'm talking about whole package. If you can't beat good teams, but you put up big numbers (mostly cause it's late, your behind, and the other team is in prevent) then how is that good. Kelly and Marino were exception for one reason, although they never one the SB, for the most part the were consistant and in the palyoffs for much of the careers! The problem they had was Marino never had a running game, and the Bills never had a great defense during there playoff careers.

Drew has both of those things.

I'm not disputing what you're saying. I just wonder how deep the voters will look. Like I said, statistically, he's as good as anybody. The problem is that we've watched the reality, as opposed to looking at the stats.

Look at Favre this year (no, I'm not comparing the two QB's, just forming a basis for my above comment). He threw for 4000 yards, 30 TD's, and 17 INT's. Pretty darn good. However, if you watched him play this season, you feel as if something's not quite right; even in the good games. Yet, he's only done 4000 yards 4 times in a fantastic, HOF career.

kgun12
01-10-2005, 12:24 PM
I'm not disputing what you're saying. I just wonder how deep the voters will look. Like I said, statistically, he's as good as anybody. The problem is that we've watched the reality, as opposed to looking at the stats.

Look at Favre this year (no, I'm not comparing the two QB's, just forming a basis for my above comment). He threw for 4000 yards, 30 TD's, and 17 INT's. Pretty darn good. However, if you watched him play this season, you feel as if something's not quite right; even in the good games. Yet, he's only done 4000 yards 4 times in a fantastic, HOF career.

I agree with you about Bret, and we should compare him this year to Drew. Drews career in Buffalo looks like Farves season. Good numbers, but not a good outcome.

Let me ask this, put all of the QB's in the playoffs on the Bills this year and were do you think the Bills are. Include Farve cause he had a bad defense. With our defense, I think we are in the hunt to win the SB. We have a running game, a good reciever corp, great Special teams and defense! Which I think stacks us up against all those teams, cause even if you look at Indy (ok D), NE (D all banged up) and with better offensive play, mainly QB we match up with Pitt.

TedMock
01-10-2005, 12:39 PM
I agree with you about Bret, and we should compare him this year to Drew. Drews career in Buffalo looks like Farves season. Good numbers, but not a good outcome.

Let me ask this, put all of the QB's in the playoffs on the Bills this year and were do you think the Bills are. Include Farve cause he had a bad defense. With our defense, I think we are in the hunt to win the SB. We have a running game, a good reciever corp, great Special teams and defense! Which I think stacks us up against all those teams, cause even if you look at Indy (ok D), NE (D all banged up) and with better offensive play, mainly QB we match up with Pitt.

Tough call. It's funny because it was essentially our defense that let us down in the finale. Obviously the QB play wasn't too good, but the handful of converted 3rd and long's resulted in the defense being exhausted at the end of the game. Of course the offense didn't return the favor of bailing the defense out, as the D did for them on more than one occasion. I'd say most of the playoff QB's are a better fit than Bledsoe. If we're talking about right now, I wouldn't put Rothlisberger ahead of him in this offense. Well maybe, a little. Long term - give me Ben. The reason I say this is that Rothlisberger's numbers were no better for the same type of system. Plus he has the benefit of the best o-line in football. It's much easier to make "smart" decisions when you have the time. Drew played relatively efficient; average to above average in most games this year. He had 4 bad games. That's not too bad. 10 of his picks came in 3 games! So when he's bad, he's REAL bad. He moved around much better in the pocket, dumped the ball off much more, and is still a tough guy. All improvements from last season, and the coaching staff deserves major kudos for that. However, I think that's as good as it gets from here out. Let's face it, he's an aging QB. He still has an arm, but for how long? Remember Kelly's deep ball in his last year? All of a sudden it was weak, end over end, and ugly. That could very easily happen to Drew at any moment. Can't fight mother nature! Losman's got the tools, but I'm not sure he has the brains. There's only one way to find out. I'd like us to drastically improve the left guard position, then maybe the center spot. After that, load up on a couple of quality backup o-linemen. Maybe, putting Losman in that "management" style offense, is just the way to help him develop with as little pain to us as possible. We know we have quality skilled players, and a sure handed tight end in Campbell. Moulds is a quality veteran (if he starts catching the ball again) who could act as a nice security blanket for a year or two. Build the team around Willis first, then implement Losman's strengths.

justasportsfan
01-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Let me ask this, put all of the QB's in the playoffs on the Bills this year and were do you think the Bills are. Include Farve cause he had a bad defense. With our defense, I think we are in the hunt to win the SB. We have a running game, a good reciever corp, great Special teams and defense! Which I think stacks us up against all those teams, cause even if you look at Indy (ok D), NE (D all banged up) and with better offensive play, mainly QB we match up with Pitt.I was actually thnking about that but in a reverse situation, put Drew on Pitts, Colts , Pats , SD , even Jets or any other good teams, They won't be as good as they are.

We've already determined that a Difler type of qb would have at least given us a playoff appearance.

kgun12
01-10-2005, 12:48 PM
Good points! The only one I disagree with is that Drew is an aging QB. He was 32 at the start of the season if I am correct. By NFL starndars he should just be hitting his prime. Kelly's arm was gone, but he was older and took a lot more visous hits throughout his career. Most were self inflected do to the fact that he would stand in there so long. Remember that Monday night game against Pittsburg when he was hit 32 or 33 times :winkpunch he was one tough SOB.

kgun12
01-10-2005, 12:48 PM
I was actually thnking about that but in a reverse situation, put Drew on Pitts, Colts , Pats , SD , even Jets or any other good teams, They won't be as good as they are.

We've already determined that a Difler type of qb would have at least given us a playoff appearance.

Nice spin I think you ight!

justasportsfan
01-10-2005, 12:49 PM
Good points! The only one I disagree with is that Drew is an aging QB. He was 32 at the start of the season if I am correct. By NFL starndars he should just be hitting his prime. Kelly's arm was gone, but he was older and took a lot more visous hits throughout his career. Most were self inflected do to the fact that he would stand in there so long. Remember that Monday night game against Pittsburg when he was hit 32 or 33 times :winkpunch he was one tough SOB.
Drew is one tough SOB too.

kgun12
01-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Drew is one tough SOB too.

Didn't say he wasn't!

justasportsfan
01-10-2005, 01:28 PM
Didn't say he wasn't!Didn't say you did. :winkpunch

Mr. Cynical
01-10-2005, 04:33 PM
I am not bashing with this question, just want to know if people think looking at the way Drew has played over his entire time in Buffalo and in games against quality opponents if he really has what it takes to get us to a Super Bowl. Whatever I say it will be deemed hating but I will answer your question because it sounds genuine.

If you look at his entire career, when has he shown the ability to play well against quality opponents?

The year he made it to the SB....8 years ago....he had Parcells (arguably one of the best coaches ever), Curtis Martin (a HoF RB), Ben Coates (a potential HoF TE), etc. Now, no QB is going to make it there alone, but it is apparent that Drew needs to have a stellar supporting cast for it to happen. In the 8 years since then, he has not been able to elevate his game to overcome a team's inefficiencies, no matter how big or small.

Remember also that Brady won the SB twice with essentially the same team Drew had and could not win with. Yes Drew came off the bench in '01 to help win the AFC Champ game, but if you look at what his performance was, it was not very good.

Since coming to Buffalo he has had two new coaches, two new systems, consecutive 1,400 yd rushers and 1,000 yd receivers. This year we had a #2 D, a top 5 ST but the O was ranked in the bottom half. His QB rating was 26th. He is not the only one on the offense but he IS the leader of it and has been for 3 years. What is the common denominator in all of this?

Drew.

Draw your own conclusions but I simply have not seen one shred of logic why we should believe he will ever succeed as a Bill. Remember - this was year he would do it with Wyche, TC and MM all coddling him. Just like it was last year when people said "now he has TH and a real running game". Or the year before when he had "all those weapons".

Simply put, Drew is done and if the Bills want to succeed then need to cut him loose.

Iehoshua
01-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Whatever I say it will be deemed hating but I will answer your question because it sounds genuine.

If you look at his entire career, when has he shown the ability to play well against quality opponents?

The year he made it to the SB....8 years ago....he had Parcells (arguably one of the best coaches ever), Curtis Martin (a HoF RB), Ben Coates (a potential HoF TE), etc. Now, no QB is going to make it there alone, but it is apparent that Drew needs to have a stellar supporting cast for it to happen. In the 8 years since then, he has not been able to elevate his game to overcome a team's inefficiencies, no matter how big or small.

Remember also that Brady won the SB twice with essentially the same team Drew had and could not win with. Yes Drew came off the bench in '01 to help win the AFC Champ game, but if you look at what his performance was, it was not very good.

Since coming to Buffalo he has had two new coaches, two new systems, consecutive 1,400 yd rushers and 1,000 yd receivers. This year we had a #2 D, a top 5 ST but the O was ranked in the bottom half. His QB rating was 26th. He is not the only one on the offense but he IS the leader of it and has been for 3 years. What is the common denominator in all of this?

Drew.

Draw your own conclusions but I simply have not seen one shred of logic why we should believe he will ever succeed as a Bill. Remember - this was year he would do it with Wyche, TC and MM all coddling him. Just like it was last year when people said "now he has TH and a real running game". Or the year before when he had "all those weapons".

Simply put, Drew is done and if the Bills want to succeed then need to cut him loose.

http://www.pcweb.com/fwg/money.gif

Typ0
01-10-2005, 04:41 PM
http://www.pcweb.com/fwg/money.gif

FTG
01-10-2005, 08:20 PM

It's a team game. Drew can't help it everyone around him kept screwing up.

mybills
01-10-2005, 08:33 PM
:roflmao:

kgun12
01-10-2005, 11:18 PM

And I quote Mr. Cynical: "Since coming to Buffalo he has had two new coaches, two new systems, consecutive 1,400 yd rushers and 1,000 yd receivers. This year we had a #2 D, a top 5 ST but the O was ranked in the bottom half. His QB rating was 26th. He is not the only one on the offense but he IS the leader of it and has been for 3 years. What is the common denominator in all of this?"

and "Draw your own conclusions but I simply have not seen one shred of logic why we should believe he will ever succeed as a Bill. Remember - this was year he would do it with Wyche, TC and MM all coddling him. Just like it was last year when people said "now he has TH and a real running game". Or the year before when he had "all those weapons".

Simply put, Drew is done and if the Bills want to succeed then need to cut him loose."