View Full Version : Gray to Stay!

HAMMER
01-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Great News!

Dallas Morning News Reports:

Sources: UT's Robinson headed to Syracuse

06:38 PM CST on Monday, January 10, 2005

By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

AUSTIN – Texas co-defensive coordinator Greg Robinson will be named the new head football coach at Syracuse, according to two sources close to the Longhorns' program.

Robinson, 53, was offered the job Monday and accepted after interviewing with new Syracuse athletic director Daryl Gross in Los Angeles on Friday, the sources said.

Gross, the former associate athletic director at USC, received a strong recommendation to hire Robinson from USC head coach Pete Carroll.

Carroll, who recommended Robinson to Texas coach Mack Brown last year, played and coached with Robinson at Pacific and also coached with Robinson at North Carolina State (1980-81) and the New York Jets (1990-94).

Gross said he wanted to hire a defense-minded coach with NFL experience – basically in the mold of Carroll – and probably has found that in Robinson.

The biggest difference between Carroll and Robinson, however, is that Carroll was a two-time NFL head coach before landing the USC job, while Robinson will be taking his first job as a head coach at Syracuse.

Robinson said when he arrived at Texas that his ultimate goal was to become a college head coach and that he didn't want to return to the NFL. Robinson spent 14 seasons in the NFL, including stints as defensive coordinator with the Kansas City Chiefs and the Denver Broncos, where he won Super Bowl rings in 1997 and 1998.

"I'm making a career change," Robinson said when he was announced as Brown's co-defensive coordinator at Texas last year.

Robinson, who has a reputation as a super recruiter dating to his days as an assistant coach under Terry Donahue at UCLA (1982-89), helped oversee a Texas defense this season that reduced its points allowed from 21.5 in 2003 to 17.9 (18th nationally) in 2004. UT also allowed just 107.4 yards rushing per game (16th nationally) this season compared to 152.5 yards rushing per game last season.

Texas players credited Robinson with injecting the team with enthusiasm and discipline while increasing the hitting in practice to help make the Longhorns a better tackling defense than in years' past. Even players on offense said Robinson helped them with pointers and encouragement.

ScottLawrence
01-10-2005, 07:57 PM
He's probably not to happy about it.

I would like to see Gray get a head coaching job after the 2006 season as, I think we will make a serious run at the superbowl in 2006 if all goes to plan.(JP develops into a solid quarterback)

juice
01-10-2005, 08:19 PM
Gray will keep these players here as long as he is DC.. Sam Adams seems to be buying into his schemes and Nate will be a hot Item in Free Agency.

NapalmDeath
01-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Right now is not the time to lose our DC. Good news! :up:

SoCalBillsFan
01-10-2005, 09:27 PM
It's funny to think that 2 years ago we wanted this guy fired...

FTG
01-10-2005, 09:31 PM
With our top D the last couple years I'm a little supprised he has not at least gotten interviewed by SF or Cleveland

SoCalBillsFan
01-10-2005, 09:32 PM
sorry duplicate post

Voltron
01-10-2005, 10:10 PM
I think the reason that Gray didn't get the Job was that he has said he wants to use a college head-coaching job as a stepping-stone to a NFL head coaching job and Robinson has said he is not interested in returning to the NFL. Syracuse has always kept coaches for a long time.

Unfortunately it seems they keep them too long in some instances :shakeno:

tbone2005orbust
01-10-2005, 10:19 PM
this is great news. we definitly don't want to lose this system we have now. Although i feel like it could be better if they can find a way to close games for us (the Jets, jaguars, steelers).

YardRat
01-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Good news for us. I'd like Gray to stick around for a year or two, also.

Billz_fan
01-11-2005, 01:33 AM
Im glad he stays :up: Now is not the time for a new DC and new system. The D would have a hard time next season under new management.

mypoorfriendme
01-11-2005, 02:35 AM
this is great news. we definitly don't want to lose this system we have now. Although i feel like it could be better if they can find a way to close games for us (the Jets, jaguars, steelers).

but you also have to consider how many times hes bailed the bills out. hell the fact that the jaguars game was so close is evidence to his mastery. we shuoldnt expect to win regardless of the circumstances if we only put up 10 points