PDA

View Full Version : We could use a Guard

ryjam282
01-11-2005, 07:09 AM
Green Bay has one of the best offensive lines in football, but both of the Packers' starting guards could become free agents this winter. Marco Rivera's contract is expiring and Mike Wahle is owed a $6 million roster bonus in March. The Packers would like to have both back but probably won't be able to afford it. Even though Rivera recently was voted to his third straight Pro Bowl, the Packers likely will make re-signing Wahle their first priority. Wahle, 27, is five years younger than Rivera. What's more, Wahle is more athletic and excels at the critical assignment of pulling in the Packers' running game. . . .

I would love to get either one of them. They would be an instant upgrade....

Some other interesting news:

The way the Bills finished the season muddled their quarterback situation. The team won eight of its last 10 games, leading many fans in Buffalo to believe the team should be competitive next season. But QB Drew Bledsoe's performance was average at best. Will the team cut Bledsoe and entrust the starting position to 2003 first-round pick J.P. Losman, who threw only five passes as a rookie? Chances are good Bledsoe either will take a pay cut or be cut. As it stands, his contract calls for him to take up $6.5 million of the team's cap space next season. The Bills can cut him before Bledsoe is owed a $1.05 million roster bonus at the beginning of March and reduce that cap hit to $4.33 million. . . .

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3309726

Typ0
01-11-2005, 07:41 AM
I don't understand how Bledsoe effects our cap. I wish someone could give us an explanation other than "we lost money to cut him".

jamze132
01-11-2005, 10:34 AM
I don't know about Drew's money figures, but I do know we need 1-2 dominant lineman from FA or trade. Especially at center. I think Teage is more suited to play guard.

ScottLawrence
01-11-2005, 02:17 PM
We do need a starting Guard opposite Villarrial but, I don't think we will go for it in free agency.

I would like to see us draft David Baas with our first selection in the draft.

buffalofan19
01-11-2005, 02:35 PM
I don't understand how Bledsoe effects our cap. I wish someone could give us an explanation other than "we lost money to cut him".
If the Bills cut Bledsoe, it counts for about 4.3 million against the cap. I don't know how all that really works, but it is a fact.

Typ0
01-11-2005, 03:17 PM
If the Bills cut Bledsoe, it counts for about 4.3 million against the cap. I don't know how all that really works, but it is a fact.

Is that true. If we cut him today that is the figure? I saw figures from Clump and Eb that were different I think...but I can't find them in the cap forum.