PDA

View Full Version : The Problem with the "Open Competition" Theory...

TheBrownBear
01-11-2005, 10:04 AM
I just wanted to repost the great post Typo made in the Peyton Manning thread with regards to evaluating Bledsoe vs. Losman in training camp. It's my opinion that as long as Losman is playing anywhere near as well as Bledsoe in training camp he should get the nod. He needs to get into some regular season games or he'll never progress at the rate we need him to. If Losman is obviously terrible and unprepared to start after training camp, then Bledsoe should start. Anyways, here's Typo's post which does a much better job of articulating my feelings on the QB competition issue:

"Here's the thing about our "crapy QB". He's got a lot of skills and abilities...it's what he does on game-day that is causing the problem. Sometimes he does not even show up. When we get behind...he's out there like a deer in headlights. And he gives games away. He is a 12 year vet...should beat out JP for the job. But then we will be left with the same old Drew on game day. I'm not basing any opinion on how well he can perform in practice or training camp--with Drew we have the evidence in his play the last three seasons we don't need to look at his skills in practice. In the past three season's, he has been our starting QB. We have flirted with being a good offense...but those runs were all against the losers in the league. We have a tough schedule next season. We will not make the playoffs with DB at the helm because he tanks no less than half of the big games he plays in.

I'll say it again...the evidence about Drew's performance is based on what he has done here the past three seasons, not what he will do in training camp next season. It's time to accept Drew is not the QB that is going to lead this team into the promised land. Sure there is no guarantee that someone else is that person either...but we should all know it isn't going to be drew based on previous experience. Since we know Drew is not that person...why bother sticking with him just in hopes of making the playoffs? It sure sounds like a complete waste of a season to me. This season we needed to go with Drew and give him his chance. We have now learned what he has to give us...it was not a waste of a season because we gained that knowledge. Now do the right thing, take a little hit and get him out of here."

justasportsfan
01-11-2005, 10:27 AM
It also wouldn't be fair to make JP run the same schemes that Drew is used to . Schemes should be created based on JP's abilites.

Typ0
01-11-2005, 03:18 PM
I've made the big time...I've been quoted by a bear!