PDA

View Full Version : Would you take This guy over Drew?

justasportsfan
01-12-2005, 11:00 AM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1105528200104850.xml

Sources say Lions considering releasing Harrington
Wednesday, January 12, 2005
By Tom Kowalski
ALLEN PARK -- Quarterback Joey Harrington's career in Detroit might be over.

According to sources close to the situation, the Detroit Lions are considering releasing Harrington in late February, prior to paying him a scheduled $3 million roster bonus.

In addition to the bonus, Harrington will make nearly $5 million in salary for the 2005 season -- there has been heated debate within the Lions organization about whether to make the additional financial investment in Harrington.

casdhf
01-12-2005, 11:03 AM
Anyone still want him over Mike Williams?

Bill Brasky
01-12-2005, 11:08 AM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1105528200104850.xml

Sources say Lions considering releasing Harrington
Wednesday, January 12, 2005
By Tom Kowalski
ALLEN PARK -- Quarterback Joey Harrington's career in Detroit might be over.

According to sources close to the situation, the Detroit Lions are considering releasing Harrington in late February, prior to paying him a scheduled $3 million roster bonus.

In addition to the bonus, Harrington will make nearly $5 million in salary for the 2005 season -- there has been heated debate within the Lions organization about whether to make the additional financial investment in Harrington.

This guy disapoints me. Every year I expect big things out of him and he seems to take a step back. Maybe he needs a change of scenery, but I wouldn't take him on this team. We've already got a young QB on our roster. Plus this scares me:
"team owner William Clay Ford and vice chairman Bill Ford Jr., stating that the Lions would never win with Harrington playing quarterback."

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
01-12-2005, 11:09 AM
The Lions would, in my opinion, be very foolish to cut the cord on Harrington now. I guess that is easy for me to say as I have not had to suffer through the bad times as a Lions fan.....but to me it is too soon to give up on the kid....his stats show he is getting better.....and he actually had a nice solid season this year. I think next season will be a break out season for him...his receivers will be matured and they have a real running back.....I would trade Drew, Travis, AND JP for this guy....that's how sold I am on him...

PASSING

Year Team G GS Att Comp Pct Yards YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate
2002 Detroit Lions 14 12 429 215 50.1 2294 5.35 64 12 16 8/75 28 6 59.9
2003 Detroit Lions 16 16 554 309 55.8 2880 5.20 72 17 22 9/55 24 3 63.9
2004 Detroit Lions 16 16 489 274 56.0 3047 6.23 62 19 12 36/196 43 4 77.5
TOTAL 46 44 1472 798 54.2 8221 5.58 72 48 50 53/326 95 13 67.2

Bill Brasky
01-12-2005, 11:13 AM
The Lions would, in my opinion, be very foolish to cut the cord on Harrington now. I guess that is easy for me to say as I have not had to suffer through the bad times as a Lions fan.....but to me it is too soon to give up on the kid....his stats show he is getting better.....and he actually had a nice solid season this year. I think next season will be a break out season for him...his receivers will be matured and they have a real running back.....I would trade Drew, Travis, AND JP for this guy....that's how sold I am on him...

PASSING

Well of course he's improved, they've been giving him weapons the last few seasons. He still can't get his team to win though, and that's the important part. Plus he makes bonehead plays at the worst possible time.

Mudflap1
I'd cut/trade Drew and sign Harrington, then let Harrington and Losman battle it out ala Steve Walsh and Troy Aikman in Dallas circa 1989. That seemed to work out pretty well for them...

Good, healthy, young competition is a good thing, especially with a bright coaching staff teaching these young pups.

Once "the guy" is established (could take a year or whatever to figure it out), then you trade the other one...

Jon

clumping platelets
We already have a young QB for the future

Iehoshua
01-12-2005, 11:38 AM
We already have a young QB for the future

Exactly.

I'd rather have McMahon than Harrington if I had to take any Lions QB hypothetically...

THATHURMANATOR
01-12-2005, 11:40 AM

PASSING

Travis Drew, AND JP???? ARE YOU NUTS?

THATHURMANATOR
01-12-2005, 11:40 AM
I'd cut/trade Drew and sign Harrington, then let Harrington and Losman battle it out ala Steve Walsh and Troy Aikman in Dallas circa 1989. That seemed to work out pretty well for them...

Good, healthy, young competition is a good thing, especially with a bright coaching staff teaching these young pups.

Once "the guy" is established (could take a year or whatever to figure it out), then you trade the other one...

Jon

This makes more sense to me.

justasportsfan
01-12-2005, 11:45 AM
Travis Drew, AND JP???? ARE YOU NUTS?I didn't see that part. No way we trade JP.

I wouldn't mind having a Kitna/Palmer situation here in buffalo.

Iehoshua
01-12-2005, 11:47 AM
I didn't see that part. No way we trade JP.

I wouldn't mind having a Kitna/Palmer situation here in buffalo.

Speaking of Kitna, I think I'd take him over Harrington..

THATHURMANATOR
01-12-2005, 11:47 AM
I wouldn't trade Henry for him either. Chances are he gets cut. He hasn't been very good to date. Why cut Drew(who knows the offense) and bring in Harrington who is worse IMO.

THATHURMANATOR
01-12-2005, 11:48 AM
Speaking of Kitna, I think I'd take him over Harrington..

Me too.

Iehoshua
01-12-2005, 11:49 AM
I wouldn't trade Henry for him either. Chances are he gets cut. He hasn't been very good to date. Why cut Drew(who knows the offense) and bring in Harrington who is worse IMO.

Agreed, I'd have less faith in Harrington than I do in Bledsoe, if that's actually possible...

Mudflap1
01-12-2005, 11:50 AM
The reason I suggest the two young quarterbacks scenario is that unless you have a special player like Peyton Manning when you draft them (who has the obvious drive, determination, knowledge of the game, and pedigree), it's wrong to, say, cut or trade Drew and just hand the keys over to J.P. Losman. Yes, he has all the ability in the world, but he hasn't proven a damn thing. He put up some nice numbers at Tulane, but how far did he get at UCLA? Don't get me wrong, I think the kid can do it, but it's wrong to just say "here, go out there and play, it's alllllll yours" without having to work for it.

Getting rid of Drew and getting another young guy in here like Harrington (as long as the price would be affordable -- basically the same or less than Bledsoe) would be a smart move because then they BOTH are playing for their lives from the beginning, and whomever earns the spot as number one quarterback EARNED it. Which is good for obvious reasons, but it also builds their character, so when they are the starter, they have the killer instinct and leader ability to play well, and have the guts and moxie to learn from their mistakes, get better, and have mental toughness.

Couple that with the fact we have Sam Wyche, one of the best QB coaches around, Tom Clements, and Mike Mularkey, and I think this plan would be a recipe for success. One guy will emerge as the true QB of the future. Then, when he does, you can trade the other guy.

Remember, Harrington is very young (25? I'm not sure) and he had slightly better numbers than Bledsoe, and he is on a worse team.

Jon

SABURZFAN
01-12-2005, 11:52 AM
to be fair to harrington,he has had the weapons.the RB situation hasn't been spectacular.he's got a WR with back to back broken collarbone seasons,and the OL is not the greatest.he may have a breakthrough season,next year,if that whole offense can stay healthy.millen has finally gave him something to work with.he needs another season with them before they give up on him because of salary.

justasportsfan
01-12-2005, 11:52 AM
Agreed, I'd have less faith in Harrington than I do in Bledsoe, if that's actually possible...Come to think of it, we have a Bledsoe/Brady II situation already in our hands :lol:

carybillsfan
01-12-2005, 11:53 AM
I think the lions are making a bad move if they do let him go, I think he will end up in Dallas--only if, and from what I'm hearing they will, SD resigns Brees. Another option for Lions is to pay him and trade him. We do not need to sign a qb, let Losman and Bledsoe battle it out. Why would want to cut Drew eat $7mil of cap room and then sign a guy for few more $mil? Bledsoe and Harrington are about the same, Joey will never be a star in this league, if he can go to a team and play to not make mistakes they might make him look good.

Mudflap1
01-12-2005, 11:54 AM
Sort of. Brady wasn't looked at as "the future" though, just a young, inexperienced backup. He emerged on his own because of injury to Bledsoe, not because of great expectations.

Jon

Iehoshua
01-12-2005, 11:55 AM
Come to think of it, we have a Bledsoe/Brady II situation already in our hands :lol:

I really don't want to see Drew injured like before, since in reality, he could've died. I may not be a fan of his play but I won't wish death upon him.

I'll leave that to FTG...

:funny:

:jk:

BAM
01-12-2005, 11:57 AM
No I would not.

Mudflap1
01-12-2005, 12:04 PM
What is Drew Bledsoe's value? Seriously...

Before, when it was suggested to trade Bledsoe, everyone said that because of his salary, age, and play, he isn't worth more than a 4th-6th round draft pick (4th at best!). Now, compared to a young quarterback who had BETTER NUMBERS on a WORSE TEAM this season (who, by the way, was the #1 overall pick in the draft only a short time ago), Drew isn't worth that swap to us if we can do it in a way where we don't get totally nailed by the cap??

I know what you'll all say, we have Losman. But what is wrong with having them duke it out next season, then the true future of the team for the next ten years emerges out of fierce competition and good coaching? I say always have insurance and depth, and the fact of the matter is that if it's time to have the QB of the future step up, put some depth and insurance there by giving yourself more than one choice to complete this task. There's a much higher probability that Harrington OR Losman would turn into a great player than just one or the other on their own.

Seems to be some inconsistency here in my opinion...

It worked for McGahee and Henry didn't it? Remember all the people who said, "who needs McGahee?" He was injured, not a sure thing, and we had a good running back of the future. Who's the running back of the future now?

Jon

Historian
01-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Wasn't he the guy the Bills wanted at #4 in the first place?

If the Lions cut him loose, they should officially be taken off of Thanksgiving Day duty.

SoCalBillsFan
01-12-2005, 12:41 PM
I still think harrington can play! He's had growing pains, but hasmade some good plays also. 56 percent completion rating 19 TDs to 12 INTs...I think that's pretty decent for a young starter. I wouldn't mind adding him to the mix here at all.

Mudflap1
01-12-2005, 12:45 PM
Bruins and Trojan fans agreeing, go figure!!

j/k man... but glad the weather has turned around out here for sure!

Jon

Drive 4 Five
01-12-2005, 12:48 PM
Hell yes I would take Joey Harrington over Drew Bledsoe. Why not? Bledsoe has been playing eons longer than Harrington, and three years into his career compared to the twilight of Bledsoe's carrer, their stats this season were nearly identical and Bledose had the better receiving corp. in my opinion.

Typ0
01-12-2005, 12:53 PM
What is Drew Bledsoe's value? Seriously...

Before, when it was suggested to trade Bledsoe, everyone said that because of his salary, age, and play, he isn't worth more than a 4th-6th round draft pick (4th at best!). Now, compared to a young quarterback who had BETTER NUMBERS on a WORSE TEAM this season (who, by the way, was the #1 overall pick in the draft only a short time ago), Drew isn't worth that swap to us if we can do it in a way where we don't get totally nailed by the cap??

I know what you'll all say, we have Losman. But what is wrong with having them duke it out next season, then the true future of the team for the next ten years emerges out of fierce competition and good coaching? I say always have insurance and depth, and the fact of the matter is that if it's time to have the QB of the future step up, put some depth and insurance there by giving yourself more than one choice to complete this task. There's a much higher probability that Harrington OR Losman would turn into a great player than just one or the other on their own.

Seems to be some inconsistency here in my opinion...

It worked for McGahee and Henry didn't it? Remember all the people who said, "who needs McGahee?" He was injured, not a sure thing, and we had a good running back of the future. Who's the running back of the future now?

Jon

yeah I would love to have harrington for these very reasons...the only problem is we would have to move drew before harrington got cut so we could grab him on the open market. I don't see us in any hurry to move drew.

On another note about Bledsoe...if we cut him...do we take the full cap hit next season or just the hit that is the difference between the contract he will sign on another team?

OpIv37
01-12-2005, 12:56 PM
It's an interesting thought but I just don't see it happening. First, Harrington will probably want a salary that's too large for us- remember, we take a cap hit for Bledsoe even if we cut him, and no one will be stupid enough to take his salary in a trade (that would be doing the same thing the Bills did 3 years ago, before Bledsoe was damaged goods). Second- TD's ego, which is probably a big reason why Bledsoe's still the starter.

If the team wants to dump Bledsoe, letting Harrington and Losman duke it out would be a good scenario. But I just don't see it happening.

Also, the Lions might just be saying this to pressure Harrington's agent into restructuring.

Typ0
01-12-2005, 12:56 PM
Let's Trade DB and Henry to Detroit for Harrington and their first round pick.

Mudflap1
01-12-2005, 12:57 PM
From what I understand, if we cut Bledsoe before March 1st, we save a good amount of money, not sure how much though...

Jon

Typ0
01-12-2005, 12:58 PM
Actually, detroit would have a good back and QB for just over five and a half million...which is only a little more than would cost they to keep harrington. We would have taken DB and TH cap hit out of our equation and could pay Harrington his contract. I don't know what happens to that bonus though.

Typ0
01-12-2005, 12:59 PM
From what I understand, if we cut Bledsoe before March 1st, we save a good amount of money, not sure how much though...

Jon

I can't seem to get a straight answer on this either.

Mudflap1
01-12-2005, 01:01 PM
I know if Drew is cut before 3/1, we definitely get out of a roster bonus...

Why would the Lions want Henry though? Kevin Jones looks like a real player...

There would have to be some creative thinking on TD's part to make this swap, but it's possible. Not sure we could get Harrington from Detroit and trade Drew to them in a package with other picks and stuff. If we just straight cut Drew, and they cut Harrington and we signed each other's guys, that may work if the cap numbers jive.

Jon

Drive 4 Five
01-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Let's Trade DB and Henry to Detroit for Harrington and their first round pick.

:roflmao:

Yeah right bro. Like the Lions are that stupid. There is no way in hell that would ever happen. I like the idea myself, but I see Harrington going to some place like Green Bay. Still, in a hypothetical situation, I would take Harrington over Bledsoe any ol' day of the mother ****ing week.

OpIv37
01-12-2005, 01:11 PM
:roflmao:

Yeah right bro. Like the Lions are that stupid. There is no way in hell that would ever happen. I like the idea myself, but I see Harrington going to some place like Green Bay. Still, in a hypothetical situation, I would take Harrington over Bledsoe any ol' day of the mother ****ing week.

you think the Lions will let their division rivals get a hold of Harrington? I doubt it.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
01-12-2005, 01:20 PM
Hey, I am not trying to get people upset but I think most of you are really not being objective here. Harrington is worse than Drew? How? Harrington will never be a winner? Why?

Does anyone here think that given the same set of circumstances Drew (or name your starting QB) would have made the Lions a playoff team? Seriously?
Many of you will make excuses year after year for a veteran QB that can't make good decisions....but you don't allow the same latitude to a young QB?

Maybe I will end up being way off base....but I would be VERY surprised if Losman enjoys the same level of success or better in his first three years as starter...and would be even more surprised if Harrington is as piss poor a QB over the course of his career as many of you think he is. And yes... saying that he is WORSE than a washed up mediocre 12 year vet is saying that he is piss poor.

FOR THE RECORD:

I don't think JP stinks...he is an unproven commodity to me at this point who is very raw. Might turn out to be a solid NFL QB, might not.

I don't think Harrington is the next Joe Montana---I think he is better than Drew or JP.

I don't think Drew is, at this point in his career, a first string NFL QB.

justasportsfan
01-12-2005, 01:29 PM
Hey, I am not trying to get people upset but I think most of you are really not being objective here. Harrington is worse than Drew? How? Harrington will never be a winner? Why?

Does anyone here think that given the same set of circumstances Drew (or name your starting QB) would have made the Lions a playoff team? Seriously?
Many of you will make excuses year after year for a veteran QB that can't make good decisions....but you don't allow the same latitude to a young QB?

Maybe I will end up being way off base....but I would be VERY surprised if Losman enjoys the same level of success or better in his first three years as starter...and would be even more surprised if Harrington is as piss poor a QB over the course of his career as many of you think he is. And yes... saying that he is WORSE than a washed up mediocre 12 year vet is saying that he is piss poor.

FOR THE RECORD:

I don't think JP stinks...he is an unproven commodity to me at this point who is very raw. Might turn out to be a solid NFL QB, might not.

I don't think Harrington is the next Joe Montana---I think he is better than Drew or JP.

I don't think Drew is, at this point in his career, a first string NFL QB.
If we traded Willis before we knew what he could do, we'd be :hitself:

Mudflap1
01-12-2005, 01:30 PM
A agree with you Shiznit, except with one thing.

I think Drew Bledsoe IS a starting QB in the NFL, just an average-at-best one. So is Harrington right now, but is very young with a lot more upside at this point than Drew, plus he was on a worse team. With good personnel and more experience, who knows how good he could turn out?

If we traded Willis before we knew what he could do, we'd be :hitself:
Excactly my point for keeping Losman AND acquiring Harrington. Let the cream rise to the top. Maybe it's the young, but more experienced Harrington. Maybe it's the raw, but physically talented Losman.

Jon

Mahdi
01-12-2005, 01:46 PM
I wouldnt bring in any other young QB until we see what JP can do. If you draft a qb in the first round you dont turn around the next year and bring in a QB to compete with him. There's nothing wrong with healthy competition, but if its before we even give JP the opportunity to take over this team it wouldnt be healthy. In terms of a QB's we keep a decent vet (Bledsoe or other) until JP is ready, whether thats next year or the year after.

SoCalBillsFan
01-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Bruins and Trojan fans agreeing, go figure!!

j/k man... but glad the weather has turned around out here for sure!

Jon

LOL, seriously...It felt like seattle here for awhile...

finsrclowns
01-12-2005, 04:19 PM
The report is bogus.

http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=399541

Mudflap1
01-12-2005, 04:34 PM
And so the discussion now turns to Philip Rivers...

Just kidding.

Jon

DaBills
01-12-2005, 06:28 PM
Comparing Harrington to JP is apples and oranges. Even if the story turned out true, both QB's would not be starting on equal footing. Harrington's had three years in an offense with little to no help when he first got there. JP has had no time as a starter, but should walk into a situation with a far better supporting cast on O when he does eventually start. Even Carr who came out at the same time took his lumps.

And why would we trade for one project when we haven't even tried JP out, let alone the two projects that were RJ and Drew? Wouldn't that then be a waste of a pick on JP?

On top of that, by bringing in a Harrington type, you're basically saying that he should start, which means the season is probably lost. Then why not just keep things the way they are and stick with who you have anyway? (JP)

If it's extra help we're looking for, or just depth that you can depend on, I'd rather have a vet. If not Drew, then why not Warner? At least he'll have a chance at fighting it out for a starting spot next year, unlike in NY.

Mudflap1
01-12-2005, 06:47 PM
First off, this is officially becoming a beaten dead horse since the story has been proven to be bogus...

Secondly, Warner is like the twin brother of Drew! Why would we bring him in? No mobility, throws lots of picks, getting old, stubborn, takes sacks. Yes, he's gone to the Super Bowl twice... but so has DREW! You have to look at Warner the last three years. He's going to Chicago anyway...

I never said to start Harrington (or a Harrington type) if he was brought in. I said have him and Losman duke it out. May the best man win. Yeah, Harrington has 3 years under his belt (to his advantage), I didn't ask for the scenario, the story was put in front of us this morning...

The perfect scenario AGAIN (for all of those who still haven't gotten it) is to bring in TWO young quarterbacks and have them learn and compete together. This creates fierce competition, as opposed to putting all of your eggs in one basket. Once one guy emerges, you get rid of the other. Aikman and Walsh were drafted by Dallas in 1989 as they were looking for their cornerstone quarterback of the past 10 years. Aikman emerged as the guy, and they traded Walsh for a 1st round pick to the Saints. If they had only drafted Walsh, Dallas probably would never have had the dynasty that they had.

Over the last week or two according to this board you couldn't trade Drew Bledsoe for a roll of used toilet paper, but now apparently he's more valuable than Joey Harrington to some of you, a former 1st overall pick. In addition, Drew would be great in the locker with his $6.5 million salary next year holding J.P. Losman's pampers as he starts over him, as most of you want.

You either start Bledsoe (which really isn't a good option at this point unless we'll all be content watching OTHER teams play in January), or figure out a way to get rid of him and bring someone else in. That person HAS to give Losman some competition. This kid hasn't earned the right to get the keys to the castle yet...

Jon

THATHURMANATOR
01-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Actually, detroit would have a good back and QB for just over five and a half million...which is only a little more than would cost they to keep harrington. We would have taken DB and TH cap hit out of our equation and could pay Harrington his contract. I don't know what happens to that bonus though.

Kevin Jones looked amazing last year. They don't need an RB.