PDA

View Full Version : Leinart decides to stay at USC

The_Philster
01-14-2005, 05:01 PM
Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Matt Leinart has decided to play his senior season at Southern California and try to lead the Trojans to an unprecedented third straight national championship.

"I realized the opportunity right now to support my family by going to the NFL early, but to me I think college football and this whole atmosphere here and being with my friends and my teammates ... is ultimately more satisfying and will make me happier than any amount of money could make someone happy," Leinart said....more (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1964834)

Mr. Cynical
01-14-2005, 05:31 PM
Dumb move. :homer:

He has a winning lotto ticket in his pocket and he decides to rip it up and try again. If he stinks it up next year or gets hurt, he can say hasta la vista to those millions.

justasportsfan
01-14-2005, 06:57 PM
looks like finfans are stuck w/ Feefee

Crisis
01-14-2005, 07:17 PM
Can't say I blame him, he'd be going to San Fran in all likelihood.

DaBills
01-14-2005, 07:49 PM

Exactly my thoughts. Right now they're scrambling for Jeff Garcia's agent's number.

;-p

Mr. Miyagi
01-14-2005, 09:07 PM
So let's wait a year and go to Arizona next year. :huh:

DraftBoy
01-14-2005, 09:09 PM
I hope he sucks, he comes off as an arrogant jackass to me

Crisis
01-14-2005, 09:21 PM
So let's wait a year and go to Arizona next year. :huh:

What QBs are coming out next year?

Personally, I don't think he'll be a top-10 pick next year.

TigerJ
01-14-2005, 09:26 PM
That will throw all the mock drafters into a tizzy. He's been at or near the top in virtually every mock draft I've seen. Bad move? Well, he really can't improve his draft status by staying at USC. There is a slight risk of suffering a major knee injury before signing a pro contract. However with USC's dominant line and bevy of returning skill players on offence as well as defense, my guess is he'll stay healthy and come out as close to a consensus #1 pick as he is this year. He wants his degree. While the contract he signs will make his degree financially irrelevant, I have to admire him. Money isn't everything.

toughluck
01-14-2005, 10:28 PM
Why does he automatically become an "arrogant jackass" to remain close to his friends and family? Most people I know would give a lot to go back to college life. Yes, he is turning away millions of dollars and running the risk of being injured and never drafted. Guess what, making millions of dollars isn't the be all and end all of life.

steveincolorado
01-14-2005, 10:43 PM
I believe that Peyton went back for his senior year didn't he?

ArcticWildMan
01-15-2005, 12:31 AM
I applaud his move. IMO, it shows that not every college player is in it just to make a buck.

College football will be better off because of this.

mush69
01-15-2005, 12:45 AM
I applaud his move. IMO, it shows that not every college player is in it just to make a buck.

I'll second that! :beers:

buffalofan19
01-15-2005, 01:50 AM

I agree with you... for once:couch:

G. Host
01-15-2005, 02:21 AM
That will throw all the mock drafters into a tizzy. He's been at or near the top in virtually every mock draft I've seen. Bad move? Well, he really can't improve his draft status by staying at USC. There is a slight risk of suffering a major knee injury before signing a pro contract. However with USC's dominant line and bevy of returning skill players on offence as well as defense, my guess is he'll stay healthy and come out as close to a consensus #1 pick as he is this year. He wants his degree. While the contract he signs will make his degree financially irrelevant, I have to admire him. Money isn't everything.

Maybe he will get an insurance contract like McGahee did. McGahee supposedly had an insurance policy in case he got hurt in college but that may be more Rosenass BS.

The_Philster
01-15-2005, 05:06 AM
I believe that Peyton went back for his senior year didn't he?

Yes he did..they were bringing up the names of a few QBs who played their senior seasons before coming into the NFL on NFL Live last night...Kelly, Elway, Marino, Manning...all of whom turned out pretty well

Mr. Miyagi
01-15-2005, 07:25 AM

Oh you think he's in it for the fun and competition? He's staying in college for the education? LOL

Why did you go to college? I went so I could make a buck or two afterwards. :snicker:

Dozerdog
01-15-2005, 08:02 AM
Good for him!

It's about doing something no one else has. He's insured vs injury for millions anyway- most top draft picks are.

He will make his scratch- this is about fun

SoCalBillsFan
01-15-2005, 11:47 AM
So we criticize players all the time for leaving teams for more money and letting money drive their decisions...then when one guy has the balls to forget the money and do what he loves, he is dumb and an arrogant jackass?

sure, if it were me, I'd have been gone, but I have to respect a guy who can pass up the money because he loves being at USC. It's only "dumb" if money is more important than everything else.