PDA

View Full Version : Did Leinart make the right decision?

The_Philster
01-15-2005, 11:56 AM
Did USC QB Matt Leinart make the right move when he decided to stay in school for another year before declaring himself draft eligible?

Personally, I think it was a great call on his part in more ways than one.
For one thing, he gets his degree...a backup plan in case he fails to maintain a good NFL career.
For another, the money will still be there next year provided he's healthy and has a season even close to the one he had in 2004.

SABURZFAN
01-15-2005, 12:02 PM
it was a huge mistake on his part.he'd be the 1st overall pick.san fran would scoop him in a heartbeat.he'd be close to home and the USC faithfuls would buy tickets.

SoCalBillsFan
01-15-2005, 12:03 PM
How do you define whether it is "right"?

If money is the most important think, than obviously he made the wrong decision. But if he felt it was more important to stay near home with his friends and family and do what he loves, then he absolutely made the right decision for him.

I know I would have been gone, but I completely respect a guy who can walk away from the cash because hes doing what he loves.

Michael82
01-15-2005, 12:04 PM
I think he made a big mistake. He could easily have been the number 1 overall pick, or at least in the top 5. If anything happens to him this year, some kind of injury or just him struggling and he could EASILY fall to the middle rounds of the draft or worse. This move, while it is nice to see and I applaud him for it....it's not a very smart move and could cost him MILLIONS.

FTG
01-15-2005, 12:11 PM
He would not have needed a "back up plan" with the 10mill + signing bonus he would have gotten.

Michael82
01-15-2005, 12:17 PM
He would not have needed a "back up plan" with the 10mill + signing bonus he would have gotten.
Exactly.

SoCalBillsFan
01-15-2005, 12:24 PM
like I said, if money is most important, than he made a mistake.

Michael82
01-15-2005, 01:01 PM
like I said, if money is most important, than he made a mistake.
But obviously it isn't more important. So, he did the right thing I guess.

SoCalBillsFan
01-15-2005, 01:26 PM
I think so, if that's what he wants, then he did the right thing.

helmetguy
01-15-2005, 01:34 PM
Given the tight fisted ways of the SF ownership, Leinert will probably make more somewhere else next year...unless SF still eats it again next season.

The_Philster
01-15-2005, 01:49 PM
Matt Leinart said he went with his heart, and you'd best believe him. Said he went with his gut, and do not doubt it.
His head, well, sometimes you can't get all the body parts involved.

Leinart made the announcement Friday that he's been saying all along he would make, and still it was stunning...more (http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~28541~2655107,00.html)

Iehoshua
01-15-2005, 01:59 PM
At first, I too thought it was dumb. However, let's look at it this way:

Matt Leinhart goes to a bank, asking for a 250,000 loan which he will use to purchase a 20 million dollar insurance policy. He states he'll pay the loan back in full plus interest either 1.When/If he gets injured or 2. When he signs in the NFL.

Kudos to my great-uncle who explained this to me. He told me this even before we found out Matt's decision. He's no insider or anything but I would bet this scenario is pretty close to true...

TigerJ
01-15-2005, 02:29 PM
Leinarts motivation obviously isn't money. His draft status really can't go any higher than it is this year. There is a remote chance of suffering a career ending injury, but with USCs dominant offensive line and superior skill position players, this is not a huge risk, and as Darth suggests, he can protect himself financially. He has stated he's staying basically because he loves the college football experience at USC. It's tough to argue with that. He will get his degree. That may seem insignificat to us because his earning power as a top draft choice dwarfs what his degree can mean in terms of earning power, but it may be a priority to his family.

If money is your criteria, then it was the wrong decision, but I don't think we're really in a position to judge because we don't know what is most important to him.

Philagape
01-15-2005, 02:33 PM
If it's what he wants, then it's the right thing for him. There is no right or wrong here. He knew the pros and cons of both options, took his time and made an informed decision. Just because you or I would have chosen differently doesn't make it wrong.

DraftBoy
01-15-2005, 06:12 PM
Did USC QB Matt Leinart make the right move when he decided to stay in school for another year before declaring himself draft eligible?

Personally, I think it was a great call on his part in more ways than one.
For one thing, he gets his degree...a backup plan in case he fails to maintain a good NFL career.
For another, the money will still be there next year provided he's healthy and has a season even close to the one he had in 2004.

He's on track to get his degree this summer so staying doesnt do anything to help that.

Personally I think its an amazingly selfish move. He has stated many times about the USC dynasty he is creating there. He refuses to let go, when he needs to and now sets back the program from continuing development. When he leaves next year so does Bush and 1-2 of their WR's. So they are gonna have a whole new offensive personnel in 2 seasons. Had he left now, you get a new kid in, he does good the players stay longer to try and improve status and help the team. This does nothing imo but hurt the program, personally I hope he blows next season, sorry Socal. Once again this is just my opinion.

YardRat
01-15-2005, 08:20 PM
Right move, even if it would've been only about the money. Another successful year, especially if it ends in a three-peat nat'l championship and/or another Heisman, in college could add 2-5 mil to his initial contract.

Smart investment.

DaBills
01-15-2005, 11:36 PM
Right decision for him, looks like. It's always note worthy when any player stays to finish school. Only downside is the injury thing making him drop in the draft. It can happen in the pros, true, but by then, he'd have signed his deal and could be living off NFL dollars on IR.

I always thought if the NCAA is so serious about keeping money out of the picture, that they'd make students sign a contract saying they had to finish school. Especially in a scholarship situation where someone gets a free ride all the way to the draft. If they leave early, then they should have to pay pack all the scholarship dollars they received.

Mr. Cynical
01-16-2005, 01:21 AM
Mistake. He is tearing up a winning lotto ticket IMO because there is no guarantee he will be healthy next year. He can always go back and finish his degree later on. But if he gets hurt next year he will be losing more money than he will make in 5 lifetimes of normal work. But it's his call obviously...

SoCalBillsFan
01-16-2005, 02:32 AM
Personally I think its an amazingly selfish move. He has stated many times about the USC dynasty he is creating there. He refuses to let go, when he needs to and now sets back the program from continuing development. When he leaves next year so does Bush and 1-2 of their WR's. So they are gonna have a whole new offensive personnel in 2 seasons. Had he left now, you get a new kid in, he does good the players stay longer to try and improve status and help the team. This does nothing imo but hurt the program, personally I hope he blows next season, sorry Socal. Once again this is just my opinion.

it's college, teams usually have a whole new personel every 2 seasons! When you have a chance at a national title, you go for it. they don't come along very often. The ENTIRE OFFENSE is coming back, plus adding some players. You don't pass that up because you're afraid of having holes the next year. You go for another title when you can. You have to trust your recruiting, which they have done an outstanding job of, and play your best players.

The program will be fine. Yes, it's easier to break in a new QB when the rest of the offense is experienced. But at the same time, a bird inthe hand is worth two in the bush.

and saying you hope someone blows next season just isn't very classy. sorry.

kgun12
01-16-2005, 05:54 AM
Good move. He has an insurance policy, he enjoys college football, ans he has a chance to win another national championship. BTW he said at one point he didn't not want to play for S.F., who can blame him for that!