PDA

View Full Version : Phil Crosby or Larry Centers

BillyT92679
11-25-2002, 05:40 PM
Who do you pick?
I love Larry, but Phil is the man right now.

venis2k1
11-25-2002, 05:49 PM
i think a healthy mix of both will be good for the bills next season, gotta love larry cause of his rec. skills, but phil is a great runner and a good blocker.

WG
11-25-2002, 07:59 PM
I guess I'm puzzled as to why quite a few fans are hard on Centers? I think he's contributing well. Crosby is too, this isn't a knock on the question. But some people are really down on Centers.

The_Philster
11-25-2002, 08:01 PM
I think the reason why is because Drew doesn't use Larry as an outlet receiver as much as RJ and AVP did last year.

TacklingDummy
11-25-2002, 08:29 PM
During one of the replays in the 3rd qtr. yesterday against the Jets, we were on 3rd down and Larry was wide open in the middle of the field and Drew did not throw it to him. Drew went deep and we were forced to punt.

BillyT92679
11-25-2002, 08:33 PM
I think Larry is tremendous, but he is getting up there in years. Phil is really coming along as a receiver.

JefftheBillsfan
11-26-2002, 06:03 PM
I like Larry Centers, but lets face it, Crosby is the much better blocker. A pass-catching FB isnt all that nessasary especially with the emergence of Travis Henry's hands. I think all we need is an average 3rd down back, and I think Sammy Morris can do that. And he is younger.

venis2k1
11-26-2002, 07:44 PM
Morris is under used. he would be a great back if we would only give him a chance

TigerJ
11-26-2002, 08:11 PM
I like Larry Centers too. I think any controversy about Larry Centers has less to do with whether Centers is a quality player or not than with the question of how well he fits into the offence. He's a great receiver, but it's long been recognized that the weakness in his game is blocking. He's not a terrible blocker, but he's not nearly as good at blocking as your typical FB, as Crosby. If Buffalo is to have a downfield passing game, the normal assumption you'd make is that you want a strong blocking FB. If Larry Centers is on your team, you want him to get his touches. If he's riding the bench because you want better blocking, then Larry's talent is wasted. I'm not anti-Larry Centers. It's just an identity issue. Does Kevin Gilbride want to run the kind of offence that takes advantage of Centers or not?

BTW, under the present circumstances, with the vertical passing game not working, (because of coverage schemes) Larry Centers is absolutely the right FB to be playing most of the snaps. Blocking is less important. The outlet receiver role is more important.

As far as the future is concerned, I'd like to see Larry Centers continue playing and catching lots of passes. He deserves no less. The question is whether it should be here or not, and that as I said is an identity question that only the coaches can answer. If Gilbride thinks that Centers is the right fullback for what he wants to do, that's fine. If he's not going to continue using Larry Centers next season, I think he owes Larry Centers some honest answers and the Bills ought to offer to trade him to a team where he will fit better.

LuvDaBills11
11-26-2002, 10:52 PM
centers is doing good but crosby is really coming a long too. if he can improve his receiving more i think he can replace centers since he blocks better and runs better.

Typ0
11-26-2002, 11:18 PM
How about we get rid of Gilbride and keep Centers?

DraftBoy
11-27-2002, 11:37 AM
Morris isnt ever gonna be a great back, I would love to see Joe Burns become our 3rd down back, or maybe a Brian Westbrook type guy.

BillyT92679
11-27-2002, 04:32 PM
I love the idea of using Sammy Morris more. He is very underrated.

justasportsfan
11-27-2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Typ0
How about we get rid of Gilbride and keep Centers?

Hmmm, hold that thought. Centers has one of ,if not the best hands in the team. Gilbrides system just doesn't fit him. He is a great asset if used right. He's bailed Drew out a few times when Drew could go no where. Te's were great weapons for Drew at NE. Not with the bills.

TedMock
11-29-2002, 08:57 AM
I don't think it's an issue. Centers is great and Crosby is coming along nicely. Centers might be here one more season and split time with Crosby the same as this year but he'll retire after next year or he'll just be somewhere else since his contract will be up. I like Centers a lot but Crosby looks very good. His blocking has been impressive. Actually Centers' blocking has been pretty impressive too! He's very good at it, he was just never asked to block before this year. Crosby's younger and if not next season, the year after he'll be the full time full back. Go Tennessee backfield.

colin
11-29-2002, 11:42 AM
Is Crosby from Tennessee? God we are all about the Vols.

TedMock
11-29-2002, 11:51 AM
yeah, he and henry played together.