PDA

View Full Version : What about Abraham

BuffaloBlakely14
01-17-2005, 08:57 PM
What are the chances that we can sign John Abraham??

Charlieguide
01-17-2005, 09:02 PM
Would you trust him after he sat out? That's the big problem with him . . . and I'd be curious to hear what he had to say in a closed (i.e. trying to get the job) interview.

The media hasn't answered that question: first they criticized him for it, then they defended him. What it comes down to, IMHO, is that he was cleared to play by team doctors. In a playoff situation, that's more than enough. I think it was Steve Young who said that once you're cleared, you at least give it a shot. Get on the field, and see if you can go, and if you can't it's ok. Did Abraham even practice once after being cleared?

Dozerdog
01-17-2005, 09:05 PM
I'd have concerns.

I would also not break any bank for him. I'd rather re-sign Pat Williams

buffalofan19
01-17-2005, 09:07 PM
I think the Jets already resigned him.

Tatonka
01-18-2005, 07:33 AM
i dont know why people are so down on our DEs.. i thought they played well the majority of the year.

DaBills
01-18-2005, 07:35 AM
I think the Jets already resigned him.

One thing I heard over and over this year on Mike & Mike in the morning ESPN, was how Abraham always 'disappeared' from the big games this year. 6 or 7 important games that he was out for one reason or another.

Ickybaluky
01-18-2005, 07:42 AM
One thing I heard over and over this year on Mike & Mike in the morning ESPN, was how Abraham always 'disappeared' from the big games this year. 6 or 7 important games that he was out for one reason or another.

The Jets reportedly are going to franchise him. Herman Edwards has said "John will be a Jet".

Link (http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjnotes184118525jan18,0,400232.story?coll=ny-sports-print)

DaBills
01-18-2005, 07:45 AM
i dont know why people are so down on our DEs.. i thought they played well the majority of the year.

One thing I'd like to see is more pressure on QBs though. I don't think the guys we got are a dominant front four like the Tampa Bay had a few years back. When teams like NE or the Colts can keep a TE back to help block, how can 4 break through 6 unless they are great? I saw Dwight Feeney break through vs. NE a lot Sunday, but he was the only one imo.

I don't know if Gray has to get more agressive or we need a speed rusher DE playmaker. Maybe it's both. I see NE always seemed to have like 8 in the box against the Colts, why can't we do that more? It's as if he drops everyone back in coverage to contain because he knows we don't stop teams from passing. I hate us giving up a conversion when it's 3-and-very long, like 43 yards long. Ok, maybe not that long, but it's long.

mybills
01-18-2005, 07:49 AM
The Jets reportedly are going to franchise him. Herman Edwards has said "John will be a Jet".

Link (http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjnotes184118525jan18,0,400232.story?coll=ny-sports-print)
and that's because they know he's ok and worth keeping. The guy is a monster when he plays! :up:

DaBills
01-18-2005, 07:49 AM

Didn't hear that yet. And after they just paid the next coming of Paul Horning 64 million as their take-a-knee franchise QB?

Now I know why they rhyme with the Mets.

:funny:

justasportsfan
01-18-2005, 08:01 AM
i dont know why people are so down on our DEs.. i thought they played well the majority of the year.we tend to blitz our db's because there isn't much of a pass rush from our DE's and because of it, our passing D suffers.

TigerJ
01-18-2005, 08:01 AM
If he weren't being franchized, and if he did not have any warts, I would still be slow to sign him. He would be expensive. He is basically the same type of player as Aaron Schobel. If he is better than Schobel, he's not so much better that it would be worth Buffalo's while to sign Abraham and consign Schobel to the bench or cut him and eat the bonus as dead cap space with Schobel just having signed a big contract in the last offseason. I don't think either one is a left defensive end.

Free agency is best used to try and fill holes with quality players who can start right away where you think you would have difficulty doing so in the draft. It's not to go picking big names and signing them just because you think the guy might be a good player.

EDS
01-18-2005, 08:11 AM
If he weren't being franchized, and if he did not have any warts, I would still be slow to sign him. He would be expensive. He is basically the same type of player as Aaron Schobel. If he is better than Schobel, he's not so much better that it would be worth Buffalo's while to sign Abraham and consign Schobel to the bench or cut him and eat the bonus as dead cap space with Schobel just having signed a big contract in the last offseason. I don't think either one is a left defensive end.

Free agency is best used to try and fill holes with quality players who can start right away where you think you would have difficulty doing so in the draft. It's not to go picking big names and signing them just because you think the guy might be a good player.

I agree with Tiger and Tatonka. Our DE's are fine particularly sense Gray effectively utilizes the DB blitz. There are only a small handful of bigtime pass rishing ends and they are all very expensive. NE has managed to win a few super bowls without a pure pass rusher and I think the Bills have enough quality to get by as well. Schobel and Kelsay will get the job done.

Look at the remaining playoff teams - NE (best pass rushers are over the hill and McGinest and Seymour, who is not a speed rusher) Pittsburgh (Aaron Smith is their best pass rusher and similar to Schobel and then Joey Porter an LB), Atlanta (Kearney is excellent, basically a bigger more talented Schobel and inside pass rush with DT Rod Coleman) and Philly (Kearse is in the Abraham/Freeney mold but not as dominate as he was before injury).

juice
01-18-2005, 08:11 AM
Gray needs to get Posey involved in the pass rush at LB or DE.. seems like the schemes go against what Posey does best.

An upgrade at LDE is needed if this teams Defense is gonna take over as the Leagues dominate D.. If we're ever gonna beat NE we're going to have to get to Brady consistently.

DaBills
01-18-2005, 08:21 AM
I agree with Tiger and Tatonka. Our DE's are fine particularly sense Gray effectively utilizes the DB blitz. There are only a small handful of bigtime pass rishing ends and they are all very expensive. NE has managed to win a few super bowls without a pure pass rusher and I think the Bills have enough quality to get by as well. Schobel and Kelsay will get the job done.

Look at the remaining playoff teams - NE (best pass rushers are over the hill and McGinest and Seymour, who is not a speed rusher) Pittsburgh (Aaron Smith is their best pass rusher and similar to Schobel and then Joey Porter an LB), Atlanta (Kearney is excellent, basically a bigger more talented Schobel and inside pass rush with DT Rod Coleman) and Philly (Kearse is in the Abraham/Freeney mold but not as dominate as he was before injury).

That's fine if we don't go get another DE in FA or the draft. All I'm saying is we need to compensate and increase presence at the line. The blitzes mostly seemed to come out of diguised packages this year. And from what I saw, they were picked up most times. How can you have McGhee come in from 15 yards out and surprise anyone?

I say stack the line and fake the blitz one play then bring it the next. Overwhelm teams with numbers until they beat you. Hell, they’re beating us now on short and long passes, what would be different imo. NE's D against the Colts had the backs and LB all congregating in the middle. They rush 4 and let the LBS pick stuff off. McGinest is still effective in that roll.

When we rush four, we drop everyone into pass coverage, including Spikes and Fletch. There were many times Spikes was covering WR's on deep routes this year. What's that all about? Then there's no one to stay home or spy the QB. Time and time again, when QB's step up on us through our pass rush, they know they can take off because the secondary is so far back.

Ickybaluky
01-18-2005, 10:43 AM
I saw Dwight Feeney break through vs. NE a lot Sunday, but he was the only one imo.

Freeney was disruptive, especially in the first half, but I thought Matt Light did a great job on him. The Pats spread the ball out a lot on offense with 3- and 4-WR sets, and their OL did a great job. Freeney made some rushes, but that is because he is a great player.

I don't know if Gray has to get more agressive or we need a speed rusher DE playmaker. Maybe it's both.

I agree with Tonk, the Bills should stick with the status quo at DE. They are young and really improved last year. Would it improve the Bills if they got a top pass-rusher? No doubt. However, the Bills are already pretty good on defense and need to improve on offense. I would think OL or TE would be a bigger priority. Given the age factor and pending FA, DT and S are bigger defensive needs.

I see NE always seemed to have like 8 in the box against the Colts, why can't we do that more?

The Pats had their S back in cover-2 looks almost all game, very rarely did they have 8 in the box. Nobody plays 8 in the box against the Colts, that is suicide. The reason the Pats did so well against the run is because:

1) Their LB were very active and did an excellent job tackling.

2) The Colts didn't get to run a lot of offensive plays, and only gave Edgerrin James 14 carries (10 in the first half).

DaBills
01-18-2005, 12:59 PM
The Pats had their S back in cover-2 looks almost all game, very rarely did they have 8 in the box. Nobody plays 8 in the box against the Colts, that is suicide. The reason the Pats did so well against the run is because:

Yep. It seemed like it though. Because the way the Pats kept the middle and flats covered, and the fact the Manning didn't go deep much at all, I think the Colts were doomed to a dink and dunk attack mode. Manning made some tough throws inside, but I think the Pats were content to give him those because he never seemed to challenge them deep enough.

Ickybaluky
01-18-2005, 01:08 PM
Yep. It seemed like it though. Because the way the Pats kept the middle and flats covered, and the fact the Manning didn't go deep much at all, I think the Colts were doomed to a dink and dunk attack mode. Manning made some tough throws inside, but I think the Pats were content to give him those because he never seemed to challenge them deep enough.

That is the criticism Indy will be facing all offseason. The Pats had Asante Samuel, Randall "Blue" Gay and Troy Brown covering Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne and Brandon Stokley all game, yet the Colts never tried to test them deep. Granted, the Pats were playing to take the deep ball away, but aren't all teams playing the Colts that way?

ScottLawrence
01-18-2005, 01:32 PM
Abraham gets hurt every year.

But, if they do franchise, I doubt they'll have enough money to sign (DT)Ferguson and (OT)McKenzie.(their other two solid free agents)

And what about Jordan?

I think he has a lot of potential to be a great back and he showed some of that this year when he actually GOT the ball.

I think they should first resign Jordan because, if Martins game goes south because of age the Jets go south in 2005, then try and resign Ferguson, and then McKenzie.

I would let Abraham go, he gets injuried every season and, his replacement(Bryan Thomas) filled in very well when he was out.