PDA

View Full Version : Brady?

THATHURMANATOR
01-18-2005, 10:10 AM
The comparison is almost a no brainer. Brady has very similar(better actually) stats to Montana's first 4 years(counting this year for Brady). Brady has 2 rings in his first 3 years and is close to getting another. Neither Qb was the fastest or had the best arm, but both are masters of running an offense. Truth be told Montana was surrounded by Jerry Rice, Roger Craig, John Taylor, Brent Jones....etc. Who has Brady been surrounded by? Troy Brown, Antowain Smith, Deon Branch. Yes I know they added Dillon this year. Any way you cut it the comparisons are there. What records did Joe Montana have besides playoff wins? His highest stat is passing tds which he ranks 7th in NFL history. I hate the Patriots but I am not going to let that cloud my judgement.

buffalofan19
01-18-2005, 10:49 AM
The thing about Brady, much like Montana was, is that he just wins. No matter how good or how bad a position he is in, he always finds a way to pull it off in a big game. That's why I think the Pats will beat Pittsburgh on Sunday.

(P.S. Bet someone 5 zone bucks that someone tries to knock or defend Drew Bledsoe in this thread. :D)

pats-were-right
01-18-2005, 10:51 AM
The main difference I see is accuracy. Montana's LIFETIME percentage, I believe, was like 70%. Brady's nowhere near that, but the "talent around him" factor may attribute to that.

carybillsfan
01-18-2005, 11:03 AM
Brady is just a great qb, and like Montana when they stroll from the sidelines into that huddle you can just tell they're in control of everything. Both of them never seem to look startled as the go under center, they just know what the defense is going to do and where the ball is going, not like the circus act Manning tries to run on every play(I'm so glad he got that penalty last week). I could easily see Brady winning more than 4 SB rings, which is unfortunate for us.

Ickybaluky
01-18-2005, 11:08 AM
The comparison is almost a no brainer. Brady has very similar(better actually) stats to Montana's first 4 years(counting this year for Brady). Brady has 2 rings in his first 3 years and is close to getting another. Neither Qb was the fastest or had the best arm, but both are masters of running an offense. Truth be told Montana was surrounded by Jerry Rice, Roger Craig, John Taylor, Brent Jones....etc. Who has Brady been surrounded by? Troy Brown, Antowain Smith, Deon Branch. Yes I know they added Dillon this year. Any way you cut it the comparisons are there. What records did Joe Montana have besides playoff wins? His highest stat is passing tds which he ranks 7th in NFL history. I hate the Patriots but I am not going to let that cloud my judgement.

IMO, Montana is the greatest ever. Brady is real good, but not quite in Joe's class.

The two are real similar with their poise, preparedness, leadership, accuracy, quick decision-making and ability to play big in the big games.

However, Montana was more mobile. Brady may have good pocket-presense, but Montana could roll out and run. Montana was probably the best I have ever seen when it comes to throwing accurately on the run. That is why Joe was so good rolling out of the pocket.

Montana also won his first Super Bowl without a lot of offensive talent. The 49ers had a great defense in 1981, but they didn't have much of a running game and only a couple of receiving threats.

THATHURMANATOR
01-18-2005, 11:31 AM
I wouldn't call Montana the greatest ever.

THATHURMANATOR
01-18-2005, 11:33 AM
The main difference I see is accuracy. Montana's LIFETIME percentage, I believe, was like 70%. Brady's nowhere near that, but the "talent around him" factor may attribute to that.

Montana's lifetime passing percentage is 63.2%
Brady's lifetime passing percentage is 61.6%

Ickybaluky
01-18-2005, 11:35 AM
Statistically, if you compare them at similar points in their careers, you could make an argument. Looking at their numbers through their first 5 seasons:

Brady:

1243-for-2018 (61.6%), 13,923 Yds (6.9 Yds/Att), 97 TD, 52 Int, 87.4 QB Rating

Montana:

1045-for-1645 (63.5%), 11,979 Yds (7.28 Yds/Att), 78 TD, 44 Int, 90.0 QB Rating

- Neither guy played much their first seasons, and Joe missed 7 games to injury in his 4th season.

- Brady had 2 Super Bowl wins through his 5th season, and has a chance to win a 3rd. Montana had 1 Super Bowl victories in his first 5 seasons, and an injury may have cost him a chance at a 2nd. He won his 2nd in his 6th season.

- Both players were named Pro Bowlers 2 times in their first 5 seasons.

Ickybaluky
01-18-2005, 11:40 AM
I wouldn't call Montana the greatest ever.

I would. He is the best I ever saw, so I'll leave guys like Unitas out of the argument. I think he is the best of the Super Bowl era.

Brady and Montana are built very differently. Brady is a big guy (6-4, 225#), so he is more of a pocket passer. Montana was small (6-2, 205#) and surprisingly athletic, so he was on the move a lot more.

BAM
01-18-2005, 11:41 AM
Let's start another thread about Tom Brady. Since this IS a Pats message board. :mad:

THATHURMANATOR
01-18-2005, 11:54 AM
Let's start another thread about Tom Brady. Since this IS a Pats message board. :mad:

I can only discuss Travis Henry trades and Drew bledsoe sucks so much BAM.

THATHURMANATOR
01-18-2005, 11:55 AM
I would. He is the best I ever saw, so I'll leave guys like Unitas out of the argument. I think he is the best of the Super Bowl era.

Brady and Montana are built very differently. Brady is a big guy (6-4, 225#), so he is more of a pocket passer. Montana was small (6-2, 205#) and surprisingly athletic, so he was on the move a lot more.

You know it is up for debate. I could say Montana was the greatest, and would be ok with that.

THATHURMANATOR
01-18-2005, 11:57 AM
All I am saying is that the comarison is there. Will Brady continue? Who knows.

Mr. Miyagi
01-18-2005, 12:33 PM
I can only discuss Travis Henry trades and Drew bledsoe sucks so much BAM.
And that's why you're not making my tracker. :down:

fushetti
01-18-2005, 12:57 PM
I hate tom brady.

THATHURMANATOR
01-18-2005, 12:58 PM
We all do.

imbondz
01-18-2005, 12:58 PM
after K. Warner won the SB a few years ago, everyone was comparing him to Montana and saying he's going to be the best QB of all time. If Brady can have longevity, then he'll be considered one of the greatest. But, until then IMO, Montana is the greatest to ever play the game. 4 SB titles and consistently had winning teams. Brady is great no doubt, but shouldn't be considered the greatest until his career is marked by more SB wins and longevity.

THATHURMANATOR
01-18-2005, 01:13 PM
I agree IB. I am just saying that to this date in their careers there are some big similarities.

Earthquake Enyart
01-18-2005, 02:11 PM
Well, for one, Joe Montana reeled in that girl from the shaving cream commercial. As far as I know, Tom Brady is gay. There is no comparison.

BillsFever21
01-18-2005, 09:46 PM
I would take Brady over any QB in the NFL.

Philagape
01-18-2005, 10:47 PM
I'd like to see how Brady plays without Weis before I call him one of the greatest ever

THATHURMANATOR
01-18-2005, 10:50 PM
Me too.

No one has called him the greatest ever. I just said the comparison to a young Montana can be made.

Historian
01-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Their poise and leadership are similar. Their ability to methodically take apart a defense is similar.

I think the comparison is valid.

THATHURMANATOR
01-19-2005, 02:52 PM
Thanks!

Drive 4 Five
01-19-2005, 02:57 PM
I would take Brady over any QB in the NFL.

I don't know about all that. If I had my pick of any quarterback in the NFL I would take Donavan McNabb. he is a great combinmation of size, strenght and mobility, and unlike Mike Vick, he can throw the ball pretty well too. Oh and the greatest QB all time is not Joe Montana, it is John Elway. I don't care who won more games or has more rings who who threw for more yards. John was the man.

weettt
01-19-2005, 02:59 PM
let's talk about tsunami relief in South Asia. did anyone donate?