PDA

View Full Version : What is the definition of a dynasty in the NFL?

imbondz
01-18-2005, 06:52 PM
how many championships constitute a dynasty? In the NFL, these have been dynasties in my opinion:

'70's Steelers
'70's Dolphins
'70's Cowboys
80's 49ers
mid'80's - '85 Chicago Bears
90's Cowboys

The Patriots have won 2 Super Bowls on last second field goals. They barely beat the Rams and the Panthers. They made the AFC championship game thanks to the 'just give it to them' call. Yes, they are a great team, but a dynasty? I have a problem calling them that. They win alot. But do they crush their opponents like the Cowboys of the '90's, the '80's 49ers etc.

Are the '97 '98 Broncos with John Elway considered a dynasty? They won two SBs. I don't think they are. They didn't crush their opponents like the teams I listed, and I think that needs to be considered when labelling teams dynasties. The '90's Bills might get an AFC dynasty nod, but that's about it.

k.

Ickybaluky
01-18-2005, 08:03 PM
But do they crush their opponents like the Cowboys of the '90's, the '80's 49ers etc.

The Pats have played a lot of close games prior to 2004, but they won much easier this year.

Consider:

- They led the NFL in Point Difference (+177)

- Of their 15 victories this year, the margin of victory was double-digits in 11 of them. All but 2 of their wins were by at least a touchdown.

- In only one of their 15 wins was the margin of victory less than 6 points (they beat Indy 27-24 in week 1).

During their current run of success, the Pats were generally very strong on defense and ST. They have consistenly been among the better teams in turnover difference, 3rd down conversion percentage and red zone defense. However, on offense they were middle-of-the pack because they didn't have a strong running game, despite having a pretty good passing game.

This year, the offense has improved tremendously (7th in NFL in yardage, 4th in NFL in points, 7th in rushing yardage, 11th in passing yardage), mainly due to the addition of Corey Dillon. With Dillon, the Pats are able to be more balanced on offense and are able to run out the clock at the end of games. That has led to greater margins of victory.

G. Host
01-18-2005, 08:49 PM
I think like in history the definition of a dynasty has changed. In the far past dynasties lasted hundreds or thousands of years - Egypt, China, etc. And then dynasties became shorter and shorter - Greece, Roman, etc and now it is one lasting a few hundred.

No team today is a dynasty by old definiton and I disagree that Bears were a dynasty but it all depends whether you are willing to redefine the definition of the word.

RedEyE
01-18-2005, 08:52 PM
Won't matter really. The Pats will go down this weekend, and will have ahard time doing anything next season without their OC and DC. There is definitly no NE dynasaty.

Tatonka
01-18-2005, 09:08 PM
the pats are a dynasty.

ajsdx
01-18-2005, 09:34 PM
If they win this year's SB, they are a definite contend-with-any-other-team-of-all-time dynasty. If they don't, it's still a dynasty, but prolly not one of the greatest in NFL history.

Jeff1220
01-19-2005, 07:22 AM
Before FA, a dynasty would have certainly included any 4 SBs within a decade winner and a three within a decade winner that was right in the thick of it the rest of the time.
In this day and age of player movement and FA, I'd say 2 in a row is very close to a dynasty. If the Pats win it this year, giving them 3 SB wins in 4 years, they are, without a doubt, a dynasty.

Ebenezer
01-19-2005, 08:17 AM
If they win this year's SB, they are a definite contend-with-any-other-team-of-all-time dynasty. If they don't, it's still a dynasty, but prolly not one of the greatest in NFL history.
agree

pats-were-right
01-19-2005, 10:28 AM
They made the AFC championship game thanks to the 'just give it to them' call.

What call would that be? Please cite call, rule, and way in which rules were misinterpreted.

Lips puckering from 'dem sour grapes?

Mr. Cynical
01-19-2005, 01:35 PM
yep

Mudflap1
01-19-2005, 02:50 PM
The Pats probably have the most underrated offensive line in the NFL. At any rate, if they win this year, they're a dynasty. Just doesn't make them the greatest one.

Jon

jamze132
01-19-2005, 05:38 PM
You guys wanna talk about a dynasty? Well it goes both ways. Dynasty's are normally forged from winning. But what about the recent Buffalo Bills? There are such things as losing dynasty's. It just blows that Buffalo could be in that mix!