PDA

View Full Version : Bills Bad Defensive Planning

Buffarama
11-26-2002, 07:50 AM
The biggest problem with this defense is that it hangs everyone out to dry. This defense doesn't do any one thing well, and most importantly, does absolutely nothing to cover personnel weaknesses.
Almost every team in the NFL has roster weakness due to cap issues or injury that the coordinator has to compensate for. Cotrell has weaknesses with the Jets, but compensates with certain packages and schemes. Same for Wade. He doesn't have a perfect defensive roster, yet he has always manages to put a respectable defense on the field.
This Williams/Gray hybrid 46 flop does not protect anyone. It exposes every weakness that any player on the field may have. It requires perfect execution with no room for error. This is why our defense is so bad, why Winfield and Clements appear to have taken a step backwards, why Watson gets burned over and over.
We need new coaches with enough sense to play a defense that every other team in the NFL is playing, one that compensates and protects its own weaknesses, and gives it's players an opportunity to succeed. This defense just gives the players an opportunity to fail. Another indication of William's arrogance emerges.
Williams and Gray must go.

WG
11-26-2002, 08:00 AM
Agreed. But also consider, IMO we simply don't even have the talent to run a standard 4-3. We just don't have the beef or speed up front. I think that translates all the way through.

DIHARD2
11-26-2002, 10:10 AM
I think we can all go back into the archives of this bored and I know for sure BB where everyone was asking before Bledsoe came into the picture for a defensive player such as Peppers.

Once the decision was made to upgrade the offense this year, with Bledsoe and big Mike Williams, we all were still yelling for some sort of defensive meat, to beef up the line. Adams was on everybody's thought at one time, but he did not fit into the chemistry that this team is trying to achieve. He was too much of a (me) player, and I don't think Donahoe or GW wanted to take a chance with all the young players we had. So the decision I believe at that time, was to bring in some pro mentor type player, I also think that is why players like Chidi Ahanotu was brought in.

Guess what we did not get a defensive tackle and we did not upgrade the defense! It finally came down more so to (((((((((CAP H*LL)))))))))))) on the decision and I think we all forgot where we were this time last year, that was deep in the bowels of (((((((((CAP H*LL)))))))))))). The majority of us were even willing to accept three more years this time last year only because we didn't see what Donahoe saw.

Now again we are not seeing what our brain trust is seeing, so we're judging the coaching staff and accusing everyone for our lack of not playing better than the 8 /8 team that we are. It might have been better this year, if we came out and lost our first three games and then increased in our ability. But unfortunately as this season goes on the other teams don't stand still, because they have the teams that can increase as they gel as a team.

Why, because they had the players in the first place such as the Jets, and this is the second half of the season when the mediocre fall to the wayside and unfortunately this year that's what we are, and 8/ 8 team, but with a better future next year with the groundwork that has been laid this last off-season.

If we have the patients that it takes as a fan it will only get better. Do we fire everybody on the coaching staff, if you want to, then remember it will definitely be at least two, and maybe three more years before we see the playoffs.

Patients right now is what it's going to take and I don't think you're going to see that much of a change in the coaching staff this next off-season. It would be foolish at this point to bring in some other coaching philosophy and ditch everything we did these last two years.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

mchurchfie
11-26-2002, 10:30 AM
There are things that Jerry Gray and GW could do to make this defense work a little better. Timely blitzs (run & pass), more zone coverage, different defensive looks, etc. They are giving up the big play all of the time anyways so why not take a chance and send the whole house after the QB a few times during the game. The defense is playing on the backs of their heels right now and JG & GW are WAAAAAAAAAAAYYY too conservative and chickens**t in their playcalling. Take a chance once in awhile, isn't this what the 4-6 is supposed to be all about??

timfromjersey
11-26-2002, 10:44 AM
Well said mchurchfie, and I also agree with Buffarama and wys.

Remember gray was never a defensive coordinator before coming to the bills and in almost two seasons has not shown he can be.

Don't tell me we have to be patient with him until he gets players. That is a cop out. Any coach will appear better with great or very good players. But that philosophy negates the reasoning of having a defensive coordinator at all. You mean you don't want a Def. cood. with ability or ingenuity or at least a working philosophy? Then what's the Hub bub all about in regards to Bill Belichek's qualities as a def. cood. Is his skills just a mirage of good players.

justasportsfan
11-26-2002, 10:52 AM
The thing though Dihard is that the D of last year seems to be better than this year despite the so-called upgrades (FA's). A lot of us have been patient with GW. Time and again the bills have been one of the most penalized team out there. Penalties reflect on the coaching staff. The only reason why we have 5 wins instead of three is mainly because of the upgrade in the qb position.

We can say that the team needs the right personnel to run his his 46 defense, but a mark of a good coach is one that can adjust based on the strengths of his players. Ask Bellichik. We got rid of Sheppard and their reasonning was that he was married to a system. Isn't that the same thing GW is doing? I still think Td did his job and it's up to Gw to put the pieces together. The D should at least be better than last year. Rookies then have a year under their belt, we got some vets., and we hardly had any injuries compared to last year.

colin
11-26-2002, 10:55 AM
Our D is predictable and vanilla, it is an easy thing to play against. We take nothing away.

On the same page, our O just tries to run the same kind of plan against every team, we have hardly any plays that are designed to just get Moulds the ball. I am not sure if it is because we have had some trouble with our pass protection, or if we just need more time running the same O with Gilby, but it needs to improve.

TacklingDummy
11-26-2002, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by DIHARD2
I think we can all go back into the archives of this bored and I know for sure BB where everyone was asking before Bledsoe came into the picture for a defensive player such as Peppers.

Once the decision was made to upgrade the offense this year, with Bledsoe and big Mike Williams, we all were still yelling for some sort of defensive meat, to beef up the line.

I think everyone was scratching their heads:huh: when TD picked Josh Reed with the 2nd round pick this year. I thought we would go D-Line or LB.

Most everyone wanted either Mckinnie,Harrington or Williams with the first rounder. I don't recall anyone saying anything about a defender. We all knew Pepper's was going to Carolina and there was no one else worth picking that high on defense.

There were a few people who wanted to trade down and pick Roy Williams. He wouldn't of helped the D-Line.

The Natrix
11-26-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Buffarama
Williams and Gray must go.

yep

DIHARD2
11-26-2002, 01:45 PM
Joseph Reed might be are first-round pick this year. If we keep Price, Reed would be expendable and he has proven to be a good threat. I would not be surprised if he wasn't dealt in some sort of a deal to pick up a first-round pick in this year's draft.

Patients is a virtual says the Lord!

GGO!!!...BUFFALO!!!... :fishfry:

colin
11-26-2002, 03:21 PM
I disagree about the Jets though. They have some real talent and a whole lot of $$ on the Defense and just underachieve. They have played well for the last few games, but have done some crap since Cotrell got there.