Bills Mock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ParanoidAndroid
    My battery is low and it's getting dark.
    • Apr 2004

Bills Mock

Everyone knows Buffalo needs O-line help. We knew that 3 years ago, but TD's efforts have yielded so-so results. I don't like our TE's, but after re-thought, I don't think it's a position they need to address in the draft. I don't think they should give Reed the job at slot reciever. They should make him earn it instead by drafting competition. No one is looking at ILB as a need, but I think it would be a smart move to get depth there, and a possible successor to Fletcher a few years down the road. Mario Haggan, who sits at #2 on the depth chart, is a 7th rounder who's been on and off the practice squad and he's no diamond-in-the-rough. Now that Vicent is a FS, they need a 5th CB or someone to slip ahead of Jabari Greer as a fourth. I just did a mock on another site, but I'm already changing my mind. This mock is based on the assumption that TD gets Tampa's #2 for Henry. (back-to-back 1400 yd seasons behind a shaky line? You bet he's worth it but I guess that's not the issue. It's what teams are willing to give up for him knowing we almost have to get rid of him.) Anyway, this is more fun. It's almost lke having a first-rounder.

2a(from TB). Ben Wilkerson (C, LSU) Better than Teague at center, allows
    Teague to fill tackle position left
    vacant by Jennings

2b. Marcus Lawrence (ILB, South Carolina) maybe early, but his stock may
    rise

3. Ronald Bartell (CB, Howard) super athelete who could be great
    with time and effort

4. Rob Petitti (OT, Pitt) find youth at OT in mid rounds, could
    be a steal in round 4

5. Parris Warren (WR, Utah) a wideout that knows how to get open
    underneath. Hello? Has anyone seen
    Josh Reed?

6. Larry Brackins (WR, Pearl River CC) raw = tons of upside, behind on
    learning curve

7. Jonathan Jackson (DE/OLB, Oklahoma)
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

Ben Wilkerson would be a pretty good pick, though some have him rated a little lower now because of injury issues. I noticed Brackens' name while checking out a couple of draft sites the other day. The man is huge, with pretty good speed. He's kind of the Jason Peters of wide receivers. He's the type of guy who could be a treasure in the red zone. I also noticed Petiti and Bartell. Petiti's a little on the light side by today's standards, buiy I assume can put on some muscle to bring him up to NFL standards. I think CB is probably the deepest position in the draft. There are guys all the way through all seven rounds with excellent numbers and decent reputations for play. At any rate I would think this would be a pretty good draft for the Bills
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• TedMock
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TigerJ
      I think CB is probably the deepest position in the draft. There are guys all the way through all seven rounds with excellent numbers and decent reputations for play.
      How big of a dropoff is there from round one corners vs. round 4-7 corners, this year? I'm asking because a friend of mine brought up a couple of points the other day.

Let's say we get a 2nd rounder for Henry. Would we be able to trade one of those second rounders and another pick/or preferably a player, for a first rounder? If there's a stud corner sitting there, it may be worth a shot. Otherwise, I just assume sit back and do what we can on either side of the line. Clements is going to demand big money next year, Vincent's getting old, and the guys we have backing them up have done well, but not well enough to feel 100% confident. So, a second and who(?) for a first? Or, a second and a 3rd or 4th for a first may be a possibility. I'm only on board if it's an absolute stud corner, though. Our biggest concerns are still on the o-line.

Comment

• TigerJ
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TedMock
        How big of a dropoff is there from round one corners vs. round 4-7 corners, this year? I'm asking because a friend of mine brought up a couple of points the other day.

Let's say we get a 2nd rounder for Henry. Would we be able to trade one of those second rounders and another pick/or preferably a player, for a first rounder? If there's a stud corner sitting there, it may be worth a shot. Otherwise, I just assume sit back and do what we can on either side of the line.

I think you should ask guys who are more expert than I am. There are a couple links I can give you, where I get a lot of my info.

Click on "more" under defensive players and scroll down to the cornerbacks.

I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• BuffaloJayhawk
          • Aug 2004

i'D GO FOR A rb over jackson
          http://www.queencityfc.com/Index.asp <-- Buffalo's Pro Soccer Club!

Comment

• venis2k1
            Youboty can hope
            • Jul 2002

i like the Wilkerson pick, but Marcus Lawrence!!! i would rather we go olb...posey has been good for the past few years, but seemed to disapear for periods of time. i would actully forget he was on our team. Super mario haggan isnt gonna be our starting ILB ever, but i still think he is a servicable backup. i would stab my own brother with a fork to see Kevin Burnett, Shawne Merriman, or Chad Greenway fall to us.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
              • May 2003

Go for some OL this year, maybe Khalif Barnes or Evan Mathis instead of the WRs. Get another corner in case you can't sign Nate next year. Late rounds maybe Abraham Elimimian.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                Zero for Zero!
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by andyxc71
                2a(from TB). Ben Wilkerson (C, LSU) Better than Teague at center, allows
                Teague to fill tackle position left
                vacant by Jennings
                We do not want Teague at LT. He stunk in Denver.
                Originally posted by mysticsoto
                Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• dannyek71
                  Drink Responsibly
                  • Dec 2004

LB is a posistion we should not worry about. As Ive stated before we should do this (assuming no pick for TH)

2)OL(or Mike Williams if he was available)
                  3) OL
                  4) CB (Drafted low enough so he wont be expected to surpass TM who has shown spurts of excellence, but high enough to be good, esp if Nate leaves
                  5)QB
                  6) Kicker (if there is a decent one), otherwise a OL or DT(esp if we loose Pat)
                  7) WR

wtf would be draft a LB so high?Posey does dissapear, but his posistion dictates his states more than he does. Keith Newman played the exact same pos and he recorded low numbers too. Angelo, mario haggen, and Josh stamer have shown us zilch at LB, but have performed well on ST. All are young, so why draft someone highly over them if they are not going to start.

We are set at DE, no sense to draft anyone there.
                  [

Comment

• tampabay25690
                    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by dannyek71
                    LB is a posistion we should not worry about. As Ive stated before we should do this (assuming no pick for TH)

2)OL(or Mike Williams if he was available)
                    3) OL
                    4) CB (Drafted low enough so he wont be expected to surpass TM who has shown spurts of excellence, but high enough to be good, esp if Nate leaves
                    5)QB
                    6) Kicker (if there is a decent one), otherwise a OL or DT(esp if we loose Pat)
                    7) WR

wtf would be draft a LB so high?Posey does dissapear, but his posistion dictates his states more than he does. Keith Newman played the exact same pos and he recorded low numbers too. Angelo, mario haggen, and Josh stamer have shown us zilch at LB, but have performed well on ST. All are young, so why draft someone highly over them if they are not going to start.

We are set at DE, no sense to draft anyone there.
                    Mike Williams available in the 2nd round!!!!!!!!!!
                    GO Gators!!!!!!
                    GO GATORS!!

Comment

• Kenny
                      • Aug 2004

While I agree we need OL help (especially if Jennings leaves), I only think we need depth. I've liked what I've seen lately from the starters, and they're only going to get better with time, and more coaching from McNally.

Having said that, I think our top pick, whether that be a second or a first rounder HAS to be for a CB. Nate is our best CB, but we dont have a a viable #2. IMO McGee wont be anything more than a good nickel.

Comment

• dannyek71
                        Drink Responsibly
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by tampabay25690
                        Mike Williams available in the 2nd round!!!!!!!!!!
                        I think he COULD fall into the bills spot in the 2nd...Many analysts have him dropping that far
                        [

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                          My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Kenny
                          While I agree we need OL help (especially if Jennings leaves), I only think we need depth. I've liked what I've seen lately from the starters, and they're only going to get better with time, and more coaching from McNally.

Having said that, I think our top pick, whether that be a second or a first rounder HAS to be for a CB. Nate is our best CB, but we dont have a a viable #2. IMO McGee wont be anything more than a good nickel.
                          I agree we need a corner but I think we need a center first. Buffalo has taken the "wait-and-see" approach to the O-line long enough. If you remember, most of McGahee's yards came when he bounced it outside. Our run game is weak up the middle, very weak. Teague is not moving anyone and gets pushed back into Drew's face a lot. I see the point made by another poster who said we don't want to burst McGee's bubble just yet. He has potential. However, he got burned too many times by Randle-el on third down when we needed stops. He had trouble guarding the sticks in more than just one game. He's a great returner, but needs some work as a CB. Grabbing a corner in the 3rd round doesn't say "we're replacing you," it says "work your ass off so you won't lose your starting job." Maybe Bartell isn't the right choice, but an agressive corner with shut-down potential is what the D needs.

Pettiti's a little on the light side by today's standards
                          Pettiti is 6-6, 235 on a list updated 1/3/05. Above average for the draft class, size-wise. Not quite as "Pettiti" as you thought, eh? (Sorry, couldn't resist)

i like the Wilkerson pick, but Marcus Lawrence!!!
                          What's wrong with Lawrence? He's a solid run defender, leagues ahead of Haggan. Would you seriously feel comfortable replacing Fletcher, who had 147 tackles this year, with Haggan? If Fletcher goes down, our run D goes down with him. I'm not sure why people wonder about Posey. He's been fantastic dropping back to cover the TE. He doesn't make spectacular plays but if you watch him instead of the ball, he's almost always where he needs to be. His numbers are good for a LOLB. Angelo Crowell and Josh Stamer are better back-ups at OLB than Haggans is at ILB. Fletcher is going to get old fast if he keeps taking this beating, so it wouldn't hurt to look to the future. Mitchell's main weakness is his speed. So if he clocks a decent 40 time his stock will rise. He has 3rd round value right now, so it's not a big stretch.

We do not want Teague at LT. He stunk in Denver.
                          I was unaware of that. All I knew was that 2001 was his first year starting all 16 games and his QB, Brian Griese made it to the Pro-Bowl. A little more research into it and I see they allowed 42 sacks that year. I wonder how many were Teague's fault. Ahhh, crap. But I guess my own lack of confidence in Teague is why I went with Pettiti in the fourth.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                            • May 2003

Can you give me a link to an analyst that has Mike Williams dropping into the second round?

Does anyone feel like me that Wilkerson could drop to the 3rd?

My early projection, it will change later, would look like (I can't figure why a kicker in the 3rd, but it is a big need):

2. David Baas, G, Michigan
                            3. Mike Nugent, K, Ohio State
                            4. Jason Brown, C, North Carolina
                            5. Marcus Lawrence, MLB, South Carolina
                            6. Maurice Clarrett, RB, ? (This smells Donahoe all over it)
                            7. Marcus Jasmin, DT, Texas A&M
                            Last edited by TheGhostofJimKelly; 01-22-2005, 05:47 PM.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                              short bus extraordinaire
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
                              Can you give me a link to an analyst that has Mike Williams dropping into the second round?

Does anyone feel like me that Wilkerson could drop to the 3rd?

My early projection, it will change later, would look like (I can't figure why a kicker in the 3rd, but it is a big need):

2. David Baas, G, Michigan
                              3. Mike Nugent, K, Ohio State
                              4. Jason Brown, C, North Carolina
                              5. Marcus Lawrence, MLB, South Carolina
                              6. Maurice Clarrett, RB, ? (This smells Donahoe all over it)
                              7. Marcus Jasmin, DT, Texas A&M

baas may go in the 1st round.
                              Originally posted by yordad
                              Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

Working...
                              X