PDA

View Full Version : Steve Mariucci might be available after the season...

itsandthings
11-26-2002, 12:26 PM
Mariucci's contract is up after this season and SF has yet to make any effort to re-sign him. The company line is that they won't negotiate a contract extension until after the season, but the rumor is that Terry Donahue (who runs the front office since Bill Walsh retired again) and Mariucci don't get along and they are going to let him go. There are even rumors Donahue, who was a very good HC at UCLA some time ago, will step in and coach the team next year.

Mooch is a guy with a track record of winning, and his success in guiding a SF team that was very young (due to salary cap problems) to winning in a very short time was very impressive. It would seem to me Mariucci would be a good fit in Buffalo, which is also a young team with some talent on offense.

The one caveat, is that Mooch is a West Coast Offense kind of guy, so would Bledsoe fit his plans? The rest of the Buffalo team fits nicely in a WCO scheme, but Bledsoe lacks the mobility Mooch loves. Do you sign Mariucci if it means Bledsoe is gone?

WCoastFin
11-26-2002, 12:46 PM
Smoochy, is a good coach.

MissBuffalo
11-26-2002, 01:26 PM
I also like Mariucci, but there's no way I'd give Bledsoe up for a West Coast O type of scheme. Modify it!

clumping platelets
11-26-2002, 01:56 PM
Trade a #1 pick for Bledsoe and then get rid of him. Trade value would be depressed IMO

NO!

venis2k1
11-26-2002, 01:58 PM
i still say bring in Ted Cottrell

colin
11-26-2002, 03:19 PM
Bring in Mariucci if he is available, he is a great coach. If we hang onto Gilbride we can throw in some misdirection with our long ball game. We could be awesome.

losman2evans
11-26-2002, 07:27 PM
can reunite morningweig as offensive coordinator and mariucci as head coach-

haslett as defensive coordinator

ideas for special teams coach?

TigerJ
11-26-2002, 08:35 PM
I think Bledsoe is probably capable of adapting to a short passing game. I would hope that Mariucci is not such a system ideologue that he wouldn't be willing to incorporate a little vertical passing stuff into an offence, a la Carnahan in Oakland.

Novacane
11-26-2002, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by bledsoe2moulds
can reunite morningweig as offensive coordinator and mariucci as head coach-

haslett as defensive coordinator

ideas for special teams coach?

How would we get Haslett as a D coordinator? He is not going to get fired. He just signed a rich extension.

SABURZFAN
11-27-2002, 05:05 AM
i doubt that mooch would come to buffalo.

WG
11-27-2002, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
Trade a #1 pick for Bledsoe and then get rid of him. Trade value would be depressed IMO

NO!

If he keeps playing like he's playing, then I don't think there's a team in the league that would trade a #1 for him. The way he's playing right now is exactly the way teams feared he'd play if they traded for him.

There's still a lot of time, but this whole trend isn't good. This trade was a risk, and right now, it's looking like we're starting to bear the brunt of some of that.

Of course he has 5 more games to prove that he's not the QB that every team feared he may be. If he finishes out the year like he did when he started on this team, then all will be well for now. If he continues to play as he has over the last 4 or 5, then there's gonna be even more talk about this whole thing through the offseason and into the beginning of next season.

Pride
11-27-2002, 11:05 AM
Said it once....

Dump Gilbride, and this is a non issue.

Romes
11-27-2002, 11:26 AM
I would love to see Tasker as special teams coach but I have heard him come out and publicly say that he does not want to coach.

Mr. Miyagi
11-27-2002, 11:28 AM
I also would love to see Ted Cottrell coming back to be HC. Gilbride needs to balance up the offense with some running, otherwise he's doing fine. Players dropping balls is not his fault.

Mooch won't come to Buffalo, let alone we wouldn't afford him. SF would be asking for high picks for Mooch, and we don't have them due to the Bledsoe trade. Unless Mooch is outright fired, but I dont' see that either.

But if I were Mooch, looking at my choices next season: Cincy, Detroit, Chicago, or whichever other teams looking for a HC, the team already in place in Buffalo looks pretty good. I'd take the job too.

We'll see. I doubt GW will get the axe though. TD is in love with this guy. He handpicked him over Fox, Lewis and Cottrell, remember?

Mr. Miyagi
11-27-2002, 11:36 AM
By the way, when TD brought in Gregg Williams, what was he supposed to bring to the team in the first place? If I remember correctly, it was defense and discipline.

We have one of the worst defenses in the league, and are one of the most penalized team in the league.

The games we won were all on Bledsoe and Gilbride. Our defense didn't win a single game for us.

So again, what is Gregg Williams bringing to the party???

losman2evans
11-27-2002, 02:58 PM
Haslett
I had heard that he might be fired - but I do remember the extension too.

Just dreaming I guess

The_Philster
11-27-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by CalBillsFan
I would love to see Tasker as special teams coach but I have heard him come out and publicly say that he does not want to coach.

repeatedly....but Mark Pike is a possibility ;)

BillsMan80
11-27-2002, 04:08 PM
Mark Pike, that guy was a demon on special teams...I still remember how good he was on STs.