PDA

View Full Version : Explain the salary cap to me please....

JD
01-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Like what happens if a player is released and why does it effect the salary cap...stupid question i know but i gotta find out sometime.

:posrep:

djjimkelly
01-22-2005, 09:08 PM
ok very easy example lol like when drew gets released in 2 weeks.

he signed a 3 year deal with 6 mil bonus getting roughly 3 mil a year last year. im not working with exact figures but follow.

so bonus gets split into 3 years 6/3 =2 mil bonus a year

so that bonus is ammortized evenly over life of contract with each years salary added to it for current years contract.

so if he got 3 mil as a base salary last year he counted as 5 million on the cap.

this year i believe he is due roughly 4 mil in base salary so 4 mil plus the 2 mil u have divided over the 3 year deal = 6 mil on the cap.

now if we release him since bonus money is given up front the 6 mil bonus at start of contract. we already counted 2 mil in 2004 that leaves 4 mil we must count.

so drew would count as 4 million towards cap when he is released!! saving us 2 mil next year

hope that helps lol and lets hope that happens!

clumping platelets
01-22-2005, 09:25 PM
I will answer this later....I'm at work and do not have time :(

The_Philster
01-23-2005, 05:18 AM
Like what happens if a player is released and why does it effect the salary cap...stupid question i know but i gotta find out sometime.

Bonuses are counted against the cap for the life of the contract. When a player is released, whatever bonuses that are already paid but not counted against the cap yet, must be then counted.
Simply put, the player already has the money, but it still has to be shown in the league's books counting against the cap.

jamze132
01-23-2005, 09:10 AM
I don't know, I just clear the cap penalties before each new season in Madden.

The_Philster
01-23-2005, 09:11 AM
I don't know, I just clear the cap penalties before each new season in Madden.

:rofl: I think there are some posters who have thought that worked in the BFL as well

jamze132
01-24-2005, 10:42 AM
:rofl: I think there are some posters who have thought that worked in the BFL as well
Probably

JD
01-24-2005, 03:28 PM
Thanks!

TigerJ
01-24-2005, 04:44 PM
Clump will give the authoritative answer later, I'm sure, but let me back up and talk about bonuses. Players love bonuses because it's the closest thing you can get to guaranteed money. You get a big lump sum of cash before you ever play a down under a contract. I'm talking about signing bonuses. Many players have contracts that combine salary and bonuses. If you get cut you are not paid any future salaries, but you get to keep your signing bonus. The only time that a player might have to give bonus money back is in a case like Ricky Williams, where he walked out on a big contract with lots of bonus money because he was more interested in smoking dope than playing football, but even then it can involve a nasty legal battle.

The cap is a ceiling on how much money a team can pay its players. Salary counts 100% in the year it is paid, but bonuses are prorated equally throughout the life of the contract, or in some cases for every year after the bonus is paid. (Bledsoe is due a roster bonus as of March first. If he's not released, that roster bonus will be prorated over the remaining two years of his contract.) A ten million dollar bonus on a five year contract counts $2 million per year against the cap. However if a player is cut, the prorating effect is canceled If a player is cut prior to June 1, the entire remaining bonus counts against that year's cap. By NFL rules, if the player is cut after June 1, then the remaining bonus under a contract is divided in two and applied equally to this year's and next years cap. For example Joe Schmo signed a five year contract last year with a fifteen million dollar signing bonus. Schmo pocketed the $15 on the day he signed the contract. Ordinarily the bonus would count $3 million per year through the life of his contract, in addition to any salary he is paid. The GM decides Joe Schmo is too slow however, so now he wants to cut him. $12 million in bonus money remains to be applied to the cap. If the GM cuts or trades Schmo now, the entire remaining bonus must be applied to the coming season's compensation ceiling (cap). If Schmo is cut or traded after June 1, the bonus counts $6 million against this coming season's cap and $6 million toward the cap in 2006. Said GM is probably going to be fired for mismanagement. Any cap space taken up by bonus money for players no longer with the team is called "dead cap money." Did I do OK, Clumpy?

Dozerdog
01-24-2005, 04:48 PM
Schmo is too slow?

jamze132
01-24-2005, 04:51 PM
Said GM is probably going to be fired for mismanagement.
Can we get Donahoe for hiring Drew in the first place?

TigerJ
01-24-2005, 04:53 PM
Schmo is too slow?

Should I have said Leak is weak? or Stall is too small.

jamze132
01-24-2005, 05:01 PM
Schmo is too slow?
I think he ment that Schmo was a slow learner. Much like Drew, Lindel, and Reed! Oh and lets not forget about Eric Flowers!

BillsFever21
01-24-2005, 05:03 PM
According to Clump http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2005/01/14/billszones_2005_buffalo_bills_salary_cap_page.php we are roughly 7.5 million under the cap for next season.

After we deal Henry and most likely release Prioleau we will save around 2.3 million dollars which will put us about 9.5 under the cap.

Not too shabby at all. It would even be better if we had another 6.5 million that the sucky ass Bledsoe will count against the cap.

Damn Donahoe for extending his contract last season. Just imagine what we could do with 16 million dollars.

Ebenezer
01-24-2005, 07:42 PM
According to Clump http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2005/01/14/billszones_2005_buffalo_bills_salary_cap_page.php we are roughly 7.5 million under the cap for next season.

After we deal Henry and most likely release Prioleau we will save around 2.3 million dollars which will put us about 9.5 under the cap.

Not too shabby at all. It would even be better if we had another 6.5 million that the sucky ass Bledsoe will count against the cap.

Damn Donahoe for extending his contract last season. Just imagine what we could do with 16 million dollars.
and imagine how much you would have screamed if Shane Matthews started all season and the Bills went 5-11 and were giving the Cowboys the 6th pick in the draft...

Ebenezer
01-24-2005, 07:44 PM
Clump will give the authoritative answer later,

what the frik am I??? chopped liver?

Ebenezer
01-24-2005, 07:48 PM
Clump will give the authoritative answer later, I'm sure, but let me back up and talk about bonuses. Players love bonuses because it's the closest thing you can get to guaranteed money. You get a big lump sum of cash before you ever play a down under a contract. I'm talking about signing bonuses. Many players have contracts that combine salary and bonuses. If you get cut you are not paid any future salaries, but you get to keep your signing bonus. The only time that a player might have to give bonus money back is in a case like Ricky Williams, where he walked out on a big contract with lots of bonus money because he was more interested in smoking dope than playing football, but even then it can involve a nasty legal battle.

The cap is a ceiling on how much money a team can pay its players. Salary counts 100% in the year it is paid, but bonuses are prorated equally throughout the life of the contract, or in some cases for every year after the bonus is paid. (Bledsoe is due a roster bonus as of March first. If he's not released, that roster bonus will be prorated over the remaining two years of his contract.) A ten million dollar bonus on a five year contract counts $2 million per year against the cap. However if a player is cut, the prorating effect is canceled If a player is cut prior to June 1, the entire remaining bonus counts against that year's cap. By NFL rules, if the player is cut after June 1, then the remaining bonus under a contract is divided in two and applied equally to this year's and next years cap. For example Joe Schmo signed a five year contract last year with a fifteen million dollar signing bonus. Schmo pocketed the $15 on the day he signed the contract. Ordinarily the bonus would count $3 million per year through the life of his contract, in addition to any salary he is paid. The GM decides Joe Schmo is too slow however, so now he wants to cut him. $12 million in bonus money remains to be applied to the cap. If the GM cuts or trades Schmo now, the entire remaining bonus must be applied to the coming season's compensation ceiling (cap). If Schmo is cut or traded after June 1, the bonus counts $6 million against this coming season's cap and $6 million toward the cap in 2006. Said GM is probably going to be fired for mismanagement. Any cap space taken up by bonus money for players no longer with the team is called "dead cap money." Did I do OK, Clumpy?
you did very well in class Grasshopper...more important is the GM who gave Schmoo the contract will get fired if his team is hit with a $12M dead cap situation...

as far as bonuses being amoratzied...that's not 100% true...some are and some aren't...all signing bonuses are...things like workout bonuses, reporting bonuses are not...

TigerJ
01-24-2005, 08:48 PM
Hey, chopped liver is nutritious at least.

Sorry, I didn't mean to slight you Eb. I did not know about reporting and incentive bonuses. Thanks.

BillsFever21
01-25-2005, 05:41 PM
and imagine how much you would have screamed if Shane Matthews started all season and the Bills went 5-11 and were giving the Cowboys the 6th pick in the draft...
I could've lived with that if it would've saved us 4 million dollars. That could've been a good start to a contract extension for Nate Clements or the mondy could've been used towards Pat Williams.

BillsFever21
01-25-2005, 05:42 PM
And who's to say we only would've won 5 games? What special kind of highlight games did Bledsoe have during our winning streak? He was average and just about anybody could've carried us to victory the way our defense and special teams were playing.