PDA

View Full Version : Bledsoe's a "choker"...

finsrclowns
01-23-2005, 09:42 AM
...who can't win a big game and we need to move on because QB is the big key, right? But...

so far in the playoffs....

Favre "choked"
Culpepper "choked"
Manning "choked"
Rothlisberger "choked" (but got a reprieve)
The list could go on.

Especially if Pitt beats NE, and ATL beats Philly today, the possible list of "non-choker" QB's left would be pretty short, wouldn't you say? Could it be that although the QB is important, he's just one large piece of the puzzle and that the best "teams" win? Just wondering.

BTW, I watched our "choker" last night on NFL films in the 2001 AFC Championship game vs 9 1/2 point favorite, #1 defense in the league Pitt at Pitt. When he came in with 2 minutes to go in the half NE's offense had score 0 points. He led them right away on a 4 play TD drive. Other than one bad throw in the 2nd half he managed a conservative attack in the 2nd half for the win. Was he great? No. Good enough to win though, which is what I'm looking for in a QB. Bledsoe has some warts, no denying it, but if you look closely enough most QB's do. Bottom line? If TD and the coaches decide JP gives us the best chance to win fine, but if he doesn't, people should get behind Bledsoe.

Kenny
01-23-2005, 10:08 AM
I agree that Favre is pretty much finished, but he had his days.
But unlike Bledsoe, those QBs you mentioned at least got their teams to the playoffs. Each of them have shown this season (and past) that when the team needed to score points and move the ball down the field, the QB was able to do it. What the heck has Bledsoe done?

The_Philster
01-23-2005, 10:27 AM
But unlike Bledsoe, those QBs you mentioned at least got their teams to the playoffs. Each of them have shown this season (and past) that when the team needed to score points and move the ball down the field, the QB was able to do it. What the heck has Bledsoe done?:scratch: Hmmm...who was the QB of the team that the Packers beat in the Super Bowl not that long ago?

helmetguy
01-23-2005, 10:32 AM
:scratch: Hmmm...who was the QB of the team that the Packers beat in the Super Bowl not that long ago?
The same guy who whiffed on Tyrone Wheatley's KO return TD?

ScottLawrence
01-23-2005, 10:55 AM
I've tried being behind Bledsoe this whole year.

But, when he played as badly as he did @Baltimore, @ New England, @ Oakland, @ Seattle, and home for Pittsburgh.....Its really hard to get behind him and be satisfied with him starting next year.(Notice, all but, Oakland are .500 or better teams.)

He did not play good enough for us to win those games, no matter the game plan.

I don't understand why people think it has to be Bledsoe if the coaches don't think JP isn't ready.....why not go out and sign someone like Jeff Garcia if released or Kelly Holcomb who IMO, could do as good or better then Bledsoe for less money.

Philagape
01-23-2005, 11:07 AM
It's funny ... the Colts, Vikings and Pack are almost the exact opposite of the Bills. They're carried by their QBs into the playoffs, but when a team relies on its passing game like that, sooner or later it will fail, because every QB eventually has a bad game.

The Bills, on the other hand, are carried by their defense/ST. Drew doesn't have to do much but play his part ... and he STILL blows it. We have as good team being held back by its weak link, QB.

A good game by Drew comes about as often as a bad game by Manning/Favre/Culpepper. Drew has a LOT more "warts."

helmetguy
01-23-2005, 11:12 AM
I'm still wondering where the money will come from to sign Garcia or Holcombe if Bledsoe is released. The cap savings from releasing him won't cover a guy coming to be the starter if Losman isn't ready.

Ickybaluky
01-23-2005, 11:34 AM
BTW, I watched our "choker" last night on NFL films in the 2001 AFC Championship game vs 9 1/2 point favorite, #1 defense in the league Pitt at Pitt. When he came in with 2 minutes to go in the half NE's offense had score 0 points. He led them right away on a 4 play TD drive. Other than one bad throw in the 2nd half he managed a conservative attack in the 2nd half for the win.

Apparently, you weren't watching too closely.

First of all, the score was 3-0 Patriots and Brady had driven the team into Steelers territory. Bledsoe did come in and complete 3 straight passes to score a TD, but after that he wasn't any good. Look at his numbers for that game:

10-for-21 (47.6%), 102 Yds (4.86 Yds/Att), 1 TD, 0 Int, 77.9 QB Rating.

However, that does represent Drew's best-ever playoff performance, mainly because it was only 2 of his 7 playoff games where he didn't throw a pick.

Of course, he almost threw two. He threw a pass right into Jason Gildon's hands in the second half that would have been returned for a TD, but Gildon was so shocked he dropped it. On another play, he threw the ball over his head without looking as he was being sacked. Joey Porter was so surprised that the ball hit him and fell to ground before he could react.

Of course, that is the quintessential Bledsoe.

FTG
01-23-2005, 12:08 PM
:roflmao: All you DLC do is ***** ***** ***** about all the Drew threads and :deadhorse: You are just as guilty as starting them as :mex:

Iehoshua
01-23-2005, 12:22 PM
:scratch: Hmmm...who was the QB of the team that the Packers beat in the Super Bowl not that long ago?
Not that long ago? 8 years to me is a long time...
:confused:

The_Philster
01-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Not that long ago? 8 years to me is a long time...
:confused:

Birthday:September 22, 1980
No wonder...cause you're just a pup :D

Iehoshua
01-23-2005, 02:53 PM
No wonder...cause you're just a pup :D

Ok, "old man"... ;)

finsrclowns
01-23-2005, 02:55 PM
Apparently, you weren't watching too closely.

First of all, the score was 3-0 Patriots and Brady had driven the team into Steelers territory. Bledsoe did come in and complete 3 straight passes to score a TD, but after that he wasn't any good. Look at his numbers for that game:

10-for-21 (47.6%), 102 Yds (4.86 Yds/Att), 1 TD, 0 Int, 77.9 QB Rating.

However, that does represent Drew's best-ever playoff performance, mainly because it was only 2 of his 7 playoff games where he didn't throw a pick.

Of course, he almost threw two. He threw a pass right into Jason Gildon's hands in the second half that would have been returned for a TD, but Gildon was so shocked he dropped it. On another play, he threw the ball over his head without looking as he was being sacked. Joey Porter was so surprised that the ball hit him and fell to ground before he could react.

Of course, that is the quintessential Bledsoe.

You're wrong NE. It was 7-0 NE, the 7 points coming on a Troy Brown punt return. Brady had been shut out to that point. I acknowledged the Gildon play, but if almost int's counted Brady threw a screen earlier in the game straight into a Pitt defender but he dropped it. Was the throw over his head any dumber than Brady's throw against Miami a few weeks ago? Are you this site just to monitor any possible semi-positive Bledsoe posts just so you can dog him? :loser:

Mr. Cynical
01-23-2005, 06:21 PM
:roflmao: All you DLC do is ***** ***** ***** about all the Drew threads and :deadhorse: You are just as guilty as starting them as :mex:
:bf1:

The very definition of hypocrisy at work.

honey
01-23-2005, 06:23 PM
I didn't read any of these posts. Why do we have to ***** at all anymore? FINE, Bledsoe SUCKS. Get over it. Can you be a QB? I know I can't be one.....:rolleyes:

Ickybaluky
01-23-2005, 07:09 PM
You're wrong NE. It was 7-0 NE, the 7 points coming on a Troy Brown punt return. Brady had been shut out to that point. I acknowledged the Gildon play, but if almost int's counted Brady threw a screen earlier in the game straight into a Pitt defender but he dropped it. Was the throw over his head any dumber than Brady's throw against Miami a few weeks ago? Are you this site just to monitor any possible semi-positive Bledsoe posts just so you can dog him? :loser:

It was 3-0. Did you watch the game?

The_Philster
01-23-2005, 07:26 PM
It was 3-0. Did you watch the game?

Considering the score was never 3-0 in that game, I'd be asking myself that if I were you. I've got the NFL Bible in front of me
scoring as follows:
NE-T Brown 55 punt return
Pitt- FG K Brown 30
NE-Patton 11 pass from Bledsoe
NE Harris 40 blocked field goal return
Pitt-Bettis 1 run
Pitt-Zereoue 11 run
NE-FG Vinatieri 44

Typ0
01-23-2005, 07:31 PM
...who can't win a big game and we need to move on because QB is the big key, right? But...

so far in the playoffs....

Favre "choked"
Culpepper "choked"
Manning "choked"
Rothlisberger "choked" (but got a reprieve)
The list could go on.

Especially if Pitt beats NE, and ATL beats Philly today, the possible list of "non-choker" QB's left would be pretty short, wouldn't you say? Could it be that although the QB is important, he's just one large piece of the puzzle and that the best "teams" win? Just wondering.

BTW, I watched our "choker" last night on NFL films in the 2001 AFC Championship game vs 9 1/2 point favorite, #1 defense in the league Pitt at Pitt. When he came in with 2 minutes to go in the half NE's offense had score 0 points. He led them right away on a 4 play TD drive. Other than one bad throw in the 2nd half he managed a conservative attack in the 2nd half for the win. Was he great? No. Good enough to win though, which is what I'm looking for in a QB. Bledsoe has some warts, no denying it, but if you look closely enough most QB's do. Bottom line? If TD and the coaches decide JP gives us the best chance to win fine, but if he doesn't, people should get behind Bledsoe.

None of those guys have bad games with the frequency that Drew does.

The_Philster
01-23-2005, 07:51 PM
Considering the score was never 3-0 in that game, I'd be asking myself that if I were you. I've got the NFL Bible in front of me
scoring as follows:
NE-T Brown 55 punt return
Pitt- FG K Brown 30
NE-Patton 11 pass from Bledsoe
NE Harris 40 blocked field goal return
Pitt-Bettis 1 run
Pitt-Zereoue 11 run
NE-FG Vinatieri 44

BTW, for those who don't care enough to get the NFL Bible
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20020127_NE@PIT
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2002/playoffs/news/2002/01/27/patriots_steelers_ap/
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/boxscores/2002/01/27/steelers_patriots/
:tip: