PDA

View Full Version : Off the bench quterbacks

shotgun
01-23-2005, 10:39 AM
Hay guys who do u think was the best off the bench quterback after the starting qb got hurt and did his job and won a big game, the one that sticks in my mind is drew bledsoe in the 2001 afc championship game when tom brady got hit and hurt his ankel and bledsoe came loseing 6-3 and lead the pat to the superbowl for the 3rd time in team history , so who do u remember as one of the best off the bench quterbacks of all time....

big al

EDS
01-23-2005, 10:50 AM
Well, Frank Reich came off the bench and led the Bills to one of the greatest comebacks of all time. I would say that has to be one of the top 10 performances by a back-up QB coming in during the game for an injured starter.

ScottLawrence
01-23-2005, 10:51 AM
The Patriots were already winning when Bledsoe came in 7-3.

And let me remind you he looked very average.

If Jason Gildon holds onto one of Bledsoe's passes he walks in for a touchdown and, the Patriots aren't going to the superbowl.

The_Philster
01-23-2005, 10:56 AM
Well, Frank Reich came off the bench and led the Bills to one of the greatest comebacks of all time. I would say that has to be one of the top 10 performances by a back-up QB coming in during the game for an injured starter.

technically, he wasn't coming off the bench that game...he was named as the starter when Kelly couldn't play...or else that would've been my choice as well

shotgun
01-23-2005, 10:58 AM
The Patriots were already winning when Bledsoe came in 7-3.

And let me remind you he looked very average.

If Jason Gildon holds onto one of Bledsoe's passes he walks in for a touchdown and, the Patriots aren't going to the superbowl.

drew bledsoe still came off the bench and won the game thats the only fact we are looking for in this not that gildon droped a pass that could of put the steelers in front negged

helmetguy
01-23-2005, 11:06 AM
Frank Reich was the starter in that Comeback Game. He came off the bench in the ensuing Super Bowl, and had 5 TOs.

EDS
01-23-2005, 11:21 AM
technically, he wasn't coming off the bench that game...he was named as the starter when Kelly couldn't play...or else that would've been my choice as well

My bad. For some reason I thought he came in to relieve Kelly in that game. I guess it has been a while . . .

helmetguy
01-23-2005, 11:28 AM
Kelly got hurt in Houston the week before. That's part of the reason the Wild Card Game didn't sell out in time to lift the blackout. Buffalo was riddled with injuries going into that game.

TigerJ
01-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Earl Morrall of the old Baltimore Colts may have been the best backup QB of all time. That goes back a long ways though.