PDA

View Full Version : Syracuse University, can someone help??

mypoorfriendme
01-24-2005, 02:21 AM
sorry if this doesnt fit in about bills football, but let me explain..

im a senior in high school and am leaving california for school. i applied to syracuse and uconn and am fairly confident i will get into both...assuming i do, what can you new yorkers and east costers tell me about the cities of syracuse and storrs?? bonus: does anyone know alumni or current students?

thank you so much for your help, you might be determining where i spend the next 4-5 years of my life.

thanks again,
chris

helmetguy
01-24-2005, 05:41 AM
Storrs isn't much to write home about. In general, the cost of living is quite high. As for Uconn itself, Dr. Bruce Carpenter, at Mansfield University (www.mnsfl.edu), did his Master's and Ph.D. work there. He's in the Economics Dept. at MU. For Syracuse, you can contact Andy Havalchak at Mansfield U. He's a Syracuse Alumni. Hope that helps some, mpfm.

Dozerdog
01-24-2005, 06:50 AM
Storrs is a boring little town 45 minutes from hartford, one of the most boring cities on the planet.

If I were you I'd fly out east on a long weekend and visit both places. They are about 4-5 hours apart by car.

EDS
01-24-2005, 07:52 AM
Neither Storrs nor Syracuse is what I would call a city. Storrs is all college town in the middle of nowhere. Plus is that it is close to Boston, Providence and Hartford. Syracuse is a very small city without a lot going on. If you like the outdoors however, there are lots of good options in the Finger Lakes Region and the Adirondacks are not too far.

tampabay25690
01-24-2005, 07:57 AM
My wife grew up in the Syracuse area.......And I lived there for 4 months and moved back to Buff.......The thing I liked about SU was the sports, but after that it was ok...

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
01-24-2005, 07:59 AM
I hope you like snow and cold.....for 75% of the school year that is what you will get, so be prepared.

Syracuse is a great college town, and the folks I have known who have gone there do not regret it one bit. As a football guy...I would think Syracuse better in that they have more recruiting power and therefore more talent to see. It's not New York City but I have found Syracuse more fun to hang out in than Buffalo...that's just my opinion.

I assume you know what you are going to major in and have looked into the programs offered at both places?

TheBrownBear
01-24-2005, 08:50 AM
sorry if this doesnt fit in about bills football, but let me explain..

im a senior in high school and am leaving california for school. i applied to syracuse and uconn and am fairly confident i will get into both...assuming i do, what can you new yorkers and east costers tell me about the cities of syracuse and storrs?? bonus: does anyone know alumni or current students?

thank you so much for your help, you might be determining where i spend the next 4-5 years of my life.

thanks again,
chrisSeriously bro, both of those places suck. The cities suck and the schools aren't the best either. I have a friend in med school at Syracuse (he's from Buffalo) and he hates the place.

Why are you leaving California? The UC system is fantastic and the Cal-St system isn't bad either. Not to mention the weather, and the wide variety of tanned honeys. Plus, you save yourself a grip of money by going to school in state. And believe me, you will realize the importance of minimizing your debt once you're out of school.

As for me, I just moved from CA to the East Coast for grad school and I hate it. It's so freakin cold right now and the ground is covered in snow. I seriously recommend that you make a visit to these places before you make up your mind. If you are really interested in getting out there and experiencing what life on the East Coast is like you'd be better off going to school in a big city like NYC, Boston, Philly, or DC. The only difference between places like Syracuse & Storrs, and Chico, is that these places are covered in snow for four months.

I'd recommend contacting both schools and asking them if you could contact a current student or speak with an alumni to get more information about the school. They will almost certainly hook you up with an email address or phone number. And many schools even have a page on their site that allows you to pose questions to a current student.

Also, you might want to check out this website:
www.autoadmit.com (http://www.autoadmit.com)
There are likely to be a lot of pretentious a-holes on that site, but there should be a couple of students from each school to give you the real scoop of what student life is like at each school.

Last but not least, good luck.

Jayhawk
01-24-2005, 09:04 AM
SU is not that bad of a school, the campus is insanely big. I took a course there last summer. If you don't like the weather, don't come out here. go to Ku or arizona (my second choice) Syracuse is pretty damn boring except you get all the Bills games.

RedEyE
01-24-2005, 09:06 AM
Here is what you need to know:

The bars in Syracuse are sublime. The women in Syracuse are a far cry from California girls.

The bars in CT are acceptable. The women in CT are average.

I recommend San Diego State, or if you really want out of California, try Arizona State or the University of Arizona.

Sorority row in the University of Arizona is located on Cherry Street! :hungry:

TedMock
01-24-2005, 09:22 AM
Seriously bro, both of those places suck. The cities suck and the schools aren't the best either. I have a friend in med school at Syracuse (he's from Buffalo) and he hates the place.

Why are you leaving California? The UC system is fantastic and the Cal-St system isn't bad either. Not to mention the weather, and the wide variety of tanned honeys. Plus, you save yourself a grip of money by going to school in state. And believe me, you will realize the importance of minimizing your debt once you're out of school.

As for me, I just moved from CA to the East Coast for grad school and I hate it. It's so freakin cold right now and the ground is covered in snow. I seriously recommend that you make a visit to these places before you make up your mind. If you are really interested in getting out there and experiencing what life on the East Coast is like you'd be better off going to school in a big city like NYC, Boston, Philly, or DC. The only difference between places like Syracuse & Storrs, and Chico, is that these places are covered in snow for four months.

I'd recommend contacting both schools and asking them if you could contact a current student or speak with an alumni to get more information about the school. They will almost certainly hook you up with an email address or phone number. And many schools even have a page on their site that allows you to pose questions to a current student.

Also, you might want to check out this website:
www.autoadmit.com (http://www.autoadmit.com)
There are likely to be a lot of pretentious a-holes on that site, but there should be a couple of students from each school to give you the real scoop of what student life is like at each school.

Last but not least, good luck.

I'm just the opposite. I moved out to California, and couldn't leave fast enough. The weather's nice, but I really enjoy the winters on the east coast. The east coast is also noticeably faster. It really depends on what lifestyle you're better suited for. I had a hard time with a lot of the slower moving people on the west coast, but I'm sure they felt that I needed to chill out. Anyway, I'm in the DC area now, and I like it, but I still miss Buffalo; especially when my family's all going out snowmobiling! I did live outside of Syracuse for three years. Cuse is a real fun college town (if that's what you're looking for), and it's a good school. There's not a lot outside of Syracuse, though. I've never been to UConn's campus or surrounding areas.

TheBrownBear
01-24-2005, 09:29 AM
I'm just the opposite. I moved out to California, and couldn't leave fast enough. The weather's nice, but I really enjoy the winters on the east coast. The east coast is also noticeably faster. It really depends on what lifestyle you're better suited for. I had a hard time with a lot of the slower moving people on the west coast, but I'm sure they felt that I needed to chill out. Anyway, I'm in the DC area now, and I like it, but I still miss Buffalo; especially when my family's all going out snowmobiling! I did live outside of Syracuse for three years. Cuse is a real fun college town (if that's what you're looking for), and it's a good school. There's not a lot outside of Syracuse, though. I've never been to UConn's campus or surrounding areas.
I'm exactly the same, yet I feel the opposite way. Born in Buffalo, moved to CA for college, and now I'm in DC.

TedMock
01-24-2005, 09:39 AM
I'm exactly the same, yet I feel the opposite way. Born in Buffalo, moved to CA for college, and now I'm in DC.

Where in DC? I used to live up by Tenleytown, but now I'm in Maryland.

TheBrownBear
01-24-2005, 09:47 AM
Where in DC? I used to live up by Tenleytown, but now I'm in Maryland.
I actually live in VA. (Ballston (Arlington)). But I'm a full-time student in the city.

Jan Reimers
01-24-2005, 11:39 AM
Having attended SU for 3 years and being an Ernie Davis Club member and a season football ticket holder, I am naturally a little biased. But SU has a beautiful campus, a number of nationally recognized academic programs, and great athletic traditions in football, basketball and lacrosse.

It's a pretty good party school, with a number of fraternities and sororities and plenty of bars, restaurants, and shops on Marshall Street.

The city itself is small, but there are plenty of places to go and things to do, including a Triple A baseball team and an AHL hockey team.

I had a great time there 40 years ago, and a great time now, every Saturday in the fall when I go back for an Orange football game.

mypoorfriendme
01-24-2005, 01:42 PM
well, brown bear, youre not making me feel too good about my decisions right now, but let me tell you no california school really has to offer what im looking for.

no cal states have any dorm life, school spirit, or sports to get excited for, and as far as the UC's, the same applies bar Cal and UCLA, but both are huge and probably out of my league anyway. and i HATE USC.

im ready for a change of scenery and both syracuse and uconn seem to have everything im looking for in my ideal college. im visiting around march 21-26 to see both schools. a lot of thought went into these choices and im hoping its more of what ted mock said and less of what redeye said.

what im looking for is the "college life" of a college community, good dorm life, sports to paint my body for, beautiful, walkable campus, and great academic opportunities....i looked in the north east because im ready to put california behind me and i thnik i can really fit in over there in new york and the tri state area.

STAMPY
01-24-2005, 01:59 PM
go to penn state, BU, BC, or syracuse

TheBrownBear
01-24-2005, 02:03 PM
well, brown bear, youre not making me feel too good about my decisions right now, but let me tell you no california school really has to offer what im looking for.

no cal states have any dorm life, school spirit, or sports to get excited for, and as far as the UC's, the same applies bar Cal and UCLA, but both are huge and probably out of my league anyway. and i HATE USC.

im ready for a change of scenery and both syracuse and uconn seem to have everything im looking for in my ideal college. im visiting around march 21-26 to see both schools. a lot of thought went into these choices and im hoping its more of what ted mock said and less of what redeye said.

what im looking for is the "college life" of a college community, good dorm life, sports to paint my body for, beautiful, walkable campus, and great academic opportunities....i looked in the north east because im ready to put california behind me and i thnik i can really fit in over there in new york and the tri state area.
Sorry MPFM. I didn't mean to make you feel bad about your decision. I was more just curious about your reasoning for going out of state. It sounds like you know exactly what you want and that you'll make a good decision. I was looking for the same things when I was eighteen and I was lucky enough to get into Cal and UCLA when it was much easier to do so. I'm just glad you've chosen not to be a SUCster. Anyone who hates SUC is a friend of mine.

If I were you I'd probably choose Syracuse. It's a better college atmosphere than UCONN. (I've visited both) Plus, you could always cruise up to Buffalo for some wings and a Bills game.

TheBrownBear
01-24-2005, 02:06 PM
go to penn state, BU, BC, or syracuse
I second the Penn State recommendation. It's a good school and the town has a great college atmosphere. I always had a great time when I visited PSU.

ZacGriffi~82
01-24-2005, 02:51 PM
What are you majoring in?

mypoorfriendme
01-24-2005, 04:49 PM
I second the Penn State recommendation. It's a good school and the town has a great college atmosphere. I always had a great time when I visited PSU.

i was strong considering penn state and for a while it was my favorite. however, after i visited university of michigan and UCLA, i realized id prefer a smaller school (PSU has over 40,000 kids)

(plus their football team was terrible this year)

and i have applied with a projected major in business marketing, but im also interested in perhaps sports management or communications. im pretty open ended.

don137
01-24-2005, 05:38 PM
should look at schools in the ACC and SEC. While I root for Syracuse schools in ACC and SEC a really passionate about there sports. After living in the north and the south I can say the schools in the south are much more passionate about their sports. The northerners like pro sports more than college sorts (myself included)

STAMPY
01-24-2005, 06:28 PM
Go to a party school!

ParanoidAndroid
01-24-2005, 11:44 PM
I find it starange that no one has mentioned UB. It's a really good academic school with a crappy division I-AA sports program. All their teams routinely get their a**es kicked. But hey, it's Buffalo.
Seriously, it doesn't really matter how big a school is or how good their football team is. The key is finding a school where you feel comfortable, has the major you REALLY want and has a good working environment. Why do I say that? Because no matter where you go, the parties will be there and so will the women. (Well, unless you go to a men's college in a dry town.)
My few experiences in Syracuse have all been good. The campus is really nice and the party scene was incredible. AND, if you stand in the right place, up against the outside wall of the Carrier Dome and jump up and down, it makes a cool sound that they recorded and used in the new Star Wars movies. Ok, anyway, my point is, search SEVERAL schools, no matter what size or location and pick the best one for YOU. I tell this to all the juniors and seniors I talk to at my school. All except the party scene stuff. The school board doesn't like it when teachers do that.

Typ0
01-25-2005, 12:51 AM
Syracuse is a very nice community. I lived there for about four years and it's one of the best places I have lived. SU, however, is WAY over priced for what you get. I hope you are rich and can afford to throw money away like that.

Jan Reimers
01-25-2005, 07:31 AM
I find it starange that no one has mentioned UB. It's a really good academic school with a crappy division I-AA sports program.
Actually, UB is Division 1-A, the top NCAA division. Some of their programs - including men's basketball - are very competitive in the MAC, which includes Toledo, Kent, Marshall, Miami of Ohio, N. Illinois, the "directional" Michigan schools, Bowling Green and some other decent mid-major programs.

UB's football team is still struggling in Division 1-A, however.

Earthquake Enyart
01-25-2005, 07:35 AM
i was strong considering penn state and for a while it was my favorite. however, after i visited university of michigan and UCLA, i realized id prefer a smaller school (PSU has over 40,000 kids)

(plus their football team was terrible this year)

and i have applied with a projected major in business marketing, but im also interested in perhaps sports management or communications. im pretty open ended.
With your punctuation and grammar, you really ought to consider Kansas.

Jan Reimers
01-25-2005, 07:38 AM
With your punctuation and grammar, you really ought to consider Kansas.
Or the Butt Crack School of Plumbing.

mypoorfriendme
01-26-2005, 02:31 AM
thanks for all the help, its nice to hear popular opinion.

hopefully ill remember to update everyone, as if youll remember

(but definite perk of SU is bills games every sunday)

and earthquake, sorry i dont impress you with my casual typing. i promise if i thought one person cared, i would make the effort to spell and punctuate correctly. i am sorry if i disappointed you... i promise i am worthy of a decent school (my SAT is good enough for notre dame, the dream school... stupid disproportionate GPA)

Jan Reimers
01-26-2005, 06:33 AM

and earthquake, sorry i dont impress you with my casual typing. i promise if i thought one person cared, i would make the effort to spell and punctuate correctly. i am sorry if i disappointed you... i promise i am worthy of a decent school (my SAT is good enough for notre dame, the dream school... stupid disproportionate GPA)
Actually, some of us do care about grammar, punctuation and spelling. It often reflects a person's intelligence, education, self esteem and general attitude toward others. To me, poor grammar and spelling from an otherwise intelligent person are signs of laziness and apathy.

As an employer, I pay very close attention to how prospective employees speak and write.

Earthquake Enyart
01-26-2005, 06:34 AM

SAT's are meaningless. Ask Eb.

mypoorfriendme
01-28-2005, 08:18 PM
just wanted to let you guys know you convinced me enough to apply to PSU, i sent my transcripts in today and will just give me another option if i dont like uconn or syracuse much.

Bill Brasky
01-29-2005, 08:51 PM
Neither Storrs nor Syracuse is what I would call a city. Syracuse is a very small city without a lot going on.

Typical NYC attitude. :down: I grew up near Buffalo and now live down by this money pit refered to as the "greatest city in the world"... I'd love nothing more than to take a giant dump on this city, because that's what it is, and move back to WNY ... at least I wouldn't be paying upwards of $2 grand a month in rent and spending $10 on a bottle of ****ing beer.

Typ0
01-29-2005, 09:18 PM
Typical NYC attitude. :down: I grew up near Buffalo and now live down by this money pit refered to as the "greatest city in the world"... I'd love nothing more than to take a giant dump on this city, because that's what it is, and move back to WNY ... at least I wouldn't be paying upwards of $2 grand a month in rent and spending $10 on a bottle of ****ing beer.

:rofl:

Typ0
01-29-2005, 09:19 PM

what did you get on your SATs?

ArcticWildMan
01-29-2005, 09:54 PM
SAT's are meaningless. Ask Eb.

Or Mikey.

mypoorfriendme
01-30-2005, 01:38 PM
what did you get on your SATs?

Jersey1031
01-30-2005, 02:03 PM
i just got into uconn the other day. that and villanova are my top... one thing i like about uconn is how ridiculous they are in like every sport.

Jersey1031
01-30-2005, 02:04 PM
and i did crappy on my SAT's...only 1150

mypoorfriendme
01-30-2005, 02:27 PM
and i did crappy on my SAT's...only 1150

yeah, SAT isnt for everyone and i know a lot of really smart people who didnt do that well and a lot of not-so-smart people who scored really high.

how was uconns campus? college community or just a diploma factory? as you can see ive seen mixed reviews, what do you, a senior in high school, think about the campus and school??

Jersey1031
01-30-2005, 03:07 PM
how was uconns campus?

the campus is awesome, so many people and all. always a party going on apparently...which is very important, ha. the colds a factor though, but im from jersey and we expierence similar winters.

Jersey1031
01-30-2005, 03:08 PM
cali, where else did you apply?